Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

Comments

• Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2004
    So yeah...I have no idea if we are going to Polkfest or not...I hope to God we are. It'd be nice meeting all the fellow polkies.

Subscript...

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I was in the process of waiting for high speed internet...but i'm all good now. =D
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2004
    Paul - Excellent to hear that you will be attending, and will look forward to seeing you again. Troy had a preliminary list of gear that is being brought and gear that already resides in his house...perhaps he will update that for us. I know that the crew from up here, F1Nut, John Strong and myself are bringing quite a treasure trove of goodies :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Wow, that's AWESOME!

I'm really excited and flattered that Paul would be willing to come down and visit with us.

OK, updated gear list.

Here goes:

Speakers:
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl's
    Polk LSi9's / LSi7's
    Carver Amazings
    AR-3a's
    Polk Monitor 7c's
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk RT55's/25's
    Large Advents
    Polk RTA 15tl's
    NHT SB-3's

Sources:
    AMC CD8b
    ADC 16/2
    Cambridge Audio
    Doro's Sony ES SACD player
    Tosh 3960 (unmodded)

Preamps
    Conrad Johnson PV-7
    Musical Fidelity A3cr
    Carver C-16
    Dynaco Pat-4
    Anthem Pre-2L

Amps:
    Carver Silver 9t mono's
    Carver TFM-45 / m4.0t / m1.5t/ m400a
    CTC BBQ
    I think we'll probably end up with some others as well.

Assorted wires and IC's

OK, I've got the smaller mancave where the Amazings reside and the larger living room where the 2.3tl's are. That room is fairly large and square so we can set gear up along two walls, I'm thinking. I had thought about a third room but we'll just have to see how that works out.

An HT demo is doable, but, as I've said, my HT setup isn't all that great.

The schedule of events is pretty flexible. Friday night cookout / social. Saturday we can start whenever and go to whenever. I'm planning on having it catered by a local BBQ joint so we should have plenty o' grub. Sunday is still open, we can hang out, go to Ft. Sumter / do the Charleston tourist thing whatever.....Up to you guys, whatever you want to do, we will make it happen.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2004
    Yo good people, was gone to Colorado for a bit, had fun white water rafting the Royal Gorge but good to back in the south again.:D

DisneyJoe and myself have talked about riding up together, I see some have mentioned wanting a boat ride or some such thing, I could bring the boat but boating is so weather dependent, looks like Sunday would be the only day and it would be much better if someone who knows the waters road along, we have big tide swings and where there looks or was water can change quickly. I could easily take five out with me, so lets see if there is really any interest as it would be a big waste to tow up not to use or if it rains etc.

If not boating I am up for just about anything cept naked dancing by any of you or me:rolleyes:

I could bring the older NAD pre and the Tosh 3960 if anyone wants to hear how it matches up against the better stuff.

Last we talked DJ and I were talking about staying at a local inn.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Paul had inquired about a Marriott hotel...this one is very close:

Residence Inn By Marriott
    Address: 7645 Northwoods Blvd, Charleston, SC 29406
    Phone: (843) 572-5757

Reel,

Cool, I've got an (unmodded) Tosh 3960 so you probably don't need to bring yours (I forgot to add it to the list) if it's a stock one. If it's modded, bring it on. Far as the boat, sorta have to play that one by ear I reckon. One of my local guests is a boater so he can give you the low down.

Also,

We have, I see lurking, an AK'er who has come accross a pair of Monitor 10's. I've been conversing with him an AK's website and he says he's in. He's got some cool vintage gear as well and seems like a very cool guy so welcome Dave aka DAGLJAM6.

BDT
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2004
    I have some Monitor 10A's with original stands....if he brings the speakers, I can bring the stands...or both.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Doro,

Dave indicated he was cool with bringing the 10's, if you would be so kind as to bring the stands, I think we are in bidness.

He's also got some vintage JBL's and Infinities as well...

BDT
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited August 2004
    Hi all,
    Yes, through Troy's kind invite I'll be there.
    I'll add the 10's to the load as well as the big Infinitys.
    I also told Troy that I'd bring the Kenwood M2amp/C2 pre
    just to see how they shake out against some of the other brands.
    Dorokusai, please bring the stands besides the benefit to the speakers I'd like to get pix and measurements.( will appreciate that much.)
    Oh and BTW Troy i'm smitten the 10's are easily becoming my favorite speakers at the house.
    I can see/hear what's behind all the swell write ups about Polk in general.
    Anyhoo, glad to be a part of it and thanks again for the invite.

Dave
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited August 2004
    Holy crappola, this is shaping up to be one big blowout! We even got the Polk "Minister of Propaganda" possibly joining us. Hey Paul, no offense taken on my driving! I'm taking the Explorer, not the Mustang, so no wild driving going on! Wouldn't want to flip my Pimp Mobile!

For all the guys planning on staying at a local hotel, we should decide on 1 place and see about getting a discount on rooms. Looks to be quite a few of us that will need to stay at a hotel.

Jesse, we'll square up the travel arrangements. I guess Mark is a definite now. I know we tentatively decided on your ride, that is if we have enough room. Any idea if Russman is coming into Baltimore to drive down with us?

John
    No excuses!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2004
    HUH? I thought we were taking your Explorer!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    edited August 2004
    Ok, let me lay the crack pipe down and come back to reality.

Exploder it is! :D

Bring your movies. Whomever is in the back seat gets to watch movies on my DVD player and screen.

Strong Bad
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Uh, I don't think that Jesse has too many DVD's....

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2004
    I'm up to a even 6 now......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    edited August 2004
    Call him Jesse Blockbuster!

:D

John
    No excuses!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2004
    Nothing happened at The Library rooftop thing/place. I have a reputation to maintain, and can't be making special guest appearances at places like that.

I cannot attend in good conscience. I need to spare Troy the embarrassment of either going to a hotel or sleeping on the couch with Russ. Who says I'm not sensitive to these type issues? I am dispatching Paul to the affair in my place. Hope you guys don't mind.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2004
    I hope that your hopes were not wants.
    THAT's a good drink. I'll gladly bring the hats and little things you blow on that roll in and out.

Dagnabit! This thing is getting dusty. Does your buddy still have those Tannoys? I may have to make a round trip. Kinda like some women I've known. Really round, but worth the extra effort.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    If you're talking to moi, yes, my buddy Kevin still has the Cheviots, but I hooked him up with somebody from AK and ownership may be transferring very soon.

I used those tissues to wipe down my lawn mower, started it up, and it dragged me across the yard. Mowed down a damn 200 year old oak like a hot knife through butter. This is strong stuff man.

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2004
    I'm glad you liked the wipes. Like I said distilled spring water can be used as a substitute but I can't vouch for the results.

I'm sad to hear about the Cheviots. I had the money for the speakers some time ago. It was the gas money that was killing me. If that other member passes I would still be interested.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2004
    He'd come but it's not the same experience for him when Troy is home....;)
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    He's much too kind that man. The only place I'm a major attraction is in my bathroom mirror.

You keep those fellows honest down there Paul. If by any chance someone points out that you're only like a junior member with less than 200 posts, you send me the name and I'll take it from there.

• TroyD
    edited September 2004
    Look, I have a hard enough time dealing with the thought of George at my house when I'm NOT there.....Jeeezuz, what are you guys trying to do, put me in therapy??

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    That's kind of what I was trying to indicate to these guys. I think some of them might not like you man.

• TroyD
    edited September 2004
    I'm starting to get that distinct impression........not only this but Gates is over there emailing me about dry humping the woofs on the Amazings.

That's it. Screw all of you. Party is off.

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    You mean Minute Man? He won't be "dry" humping them for all that long. THAT'S gonna be messy. Actually, if they don't resemble his hands, he probably won't even get it up.

• amulford
    edited September 2004
    Actually, if they don't resemble his hands, he probably won't even get it up.

THAT WAS EFFIN' BRUTAL!!!

I'm coming down. George, I'll haul your stuff back up for ya. Gives me a chance to peek in the magic closet.

Troy, I'm gonna try to bring my RT2000p's. You got room for 'em?
  • TroyD
    edited September 2004
    oooooohhhh....that's gonna leave a mark.

Sure, bring them on down. They will get a listen.....

BDT
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2004
    He who visits with the most gear doesn't return home alive.

Just in case you think you will be dispatched... :) this emoticon should solve all problems.
  • amulford
    edited September 2004
    I don't beleive you or that little beady eyed emoticon....
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited September 2004
    I think we are coming down....

Pretty long drive though, like 6 hours...hmmmm

I doubt I will bring any gear....hmmm
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2004
    I've been thinking that there is going to be a lot of gear there.... I don't care to bring a lot of what I have...but what do you guys REALLY want to see/hear. I could load it all in my wife's SUV so if the the attendees really want me to bring it...that's fine.

Here are speakers I could bring...

Polk RT55i
    Polk RT400
    Polk RT25i
    Large Advent (circa 1979)
    Dayton Titanic Sub

I'll leave it up too you guys to let me know what (if anything) to bring.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson