With which Polkie do you most relate?

I'm basing this on Polkies that you know virtually, not personally.

For me it's rooftop and kenbrydson. No matter the topic, I generally agree with their opinions and they just generally seem like people I'd like to sit down with and have a beer.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    I'm more of a cocktail guy but I'd join you anytime.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    Hey you guys could enjoy beers, cocktails, and a copy of Al's BIGUNS oops meant Ken.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    I dont. I even try to get away from myself & i cant :smile:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    F1Nut, although I admit to knowing him personally.

We have differing views on vinyl but my views are always correct.
    Carl

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Never thought about it. When I think of this forum I think of older Republicans. I don't associate myself with any party but I tend to disagree on a lot with them. I do like that, even though, we can still have civil conversations and debates. Most of us, anyway.
    schwarcw wrote: »

:D
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited August 2015
    Haven't thought about it, really. Can I include myself as someone I relate to?
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,182
    Too many to pic favs or single out, and that's why I love this forum. Great members, great moderator and who could ask for more....???
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    schwarcw wrote: »
    F1Nut, although I admit to knowing him personally.

Yep and yep
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    moose68bash seems to have his head screwed on pretty tightly.

By and large (and FWIW), there's more aggressive "opinionation" on these forums than I care for -- more ad hominem attacks than I enjoy.

I still like old Polk speakers, though, so I hang around.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    I thank you all here as it has helped me empty my wallet. Weather it was getting cables-amps-upgraded tweeters-sacd player-tubes the list goes on. My audio venture has been quite enjoyable. I have to say i enjoy reading everyones post. I learn alot here. It gives me ideas & ive been doing alot of DIY projects since joining-i would of never taking on before. Reading others projects & great results. There has been some responds that others take offensive & i think if your here to seek feedback be ready to accept opinions & most are spot on. Great bunch of people here. Everyone has ideas that make this forum a great place to hang out at
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    erniejade and F1nut as well as Dan endershadow he and i have hung out great guy.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    I can relate to all of you boneheads. :) For different reasons too.

CNH- because he's a thinking man, and a Greek which makes him a neighbor. The kind of neighbor you wish would move because his weeds keep blowing onto your lawn. :)
    LW- Because he tries....even though his budget is limited he's still out there looking for ways to improve his listening experience. Which btw....represents a lot of folks and many of us have been there too.

H9- Because he's a tube God....a funny tube God at that.
    GG- Because he's frickin' hilarious and short and to the point
    Enders- because I just love yankin' his chain.
    PFB- no explanation needed
    All the Kens- just because their name is KKKKKen.
    BBL- who doesn't love a smart arse.
    F1NUT- also funny as heck, knowledgeable....straight shooter.
    Rich- Man is a DIY animal, also has brains beyond anything I can comprehend.
    John- because I can talk sh&t with him.
    All the California Polkies- because I feel sorry for them.....and jealous at the same time.
    Keiko- just because I want to slap him for posting whales in his backyard.
    DK- guy goes into a review with more depth and details you'd be hard pressed to find in any magazine.
    Earniejade- because I just want to buy the guy a bigger room to put some monster floorstanders back up.
    Trey- like watching your kid grow up, very proud of the dude and he does excellent work.
    Canadian Polkies- just because your Canadian, need more be said ?

Just a short summation, apologies if I left anyone out. I love 99% of the people here. The other 1% can kiss my tubes. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    tonyb wrote: »
    I can relate to all of you boneheads. :) For different reasons too.

CNH- because he's a thinking man, and a Greek which makes him a neighbor. The kind of neighbor you wish would move because his weeds keep blowing onto your lawn. :)
    LW- Because he tries....even though his budget is limited he's still out there looking for ways to improve his listening experience. Which btw....represents a lot of folks and many of us have been there too.

H9- Because he's a tube God....a funny tube God at that.
    GG- Because he's frickin' hilarious and short and to the point
    Enders- because I just love yankin' his chain.
    PFB- no explanation needed
    All the Kens- just because their name is KKKKKen.
    BBL- who doesn't love a smart arse.
    F1NUT- also funny as heck, knowledgeable....straight shooter.
    Rich- Man is a DIY animal, also has brains beyond anything I can comprehend.
    John- because I can talk sh&t with him.
    All the California Polkies- because I feel sorry for them.....and jealous at the same time.
    Keiko- just because I want to slap him for posting whales in his backyard.
    DK- guy goes into a review with more depth and details you'd be hard pressed to find in any magazine.
    Earniejade- because I just want to buy the guy a bigger room to put some monster floorstanders back up.
    Trey- like watching your kid grow up, very proud of the dude and he does excellent work.
    Canadian Polkies- just because your Canadian, need more be said ?

Just a short summation, apologies if I left anyone out. I love 99% of the people here. The other 1% can kiss my tubes. :)

Woohoo...I'm last on your list but still on it!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    oh, another fellow here whose posts I always enjoy is mrbiron.

The fact that I am currently holding his Bottlehead Reduction phono preamp hostage in my lair has no bearing at all on this endorsement...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    I'[d have to say Cfrizz. She's level headed, knows when to interject and when to stay out of things and she has a great attitude.
    on the flip side I know for a fact Jstas relates most to me, because he wishes he could be a Canuk!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Shout out to Pumpkinman and Redtednugent for sharing the vinyl pipe[line]
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2015
    I don't mind that this site has a lot of strong opinions, but I suppose Polk might. As Tony mentions, in the land of my forefathers, it is not unusual to step into a cafe and find, a Taxi Driver, a Lawyer, a Teacher, a Bureaucrat, Doctor, Laborer, all at one table arguing with each other, each with a strong point of view that differs from everyone else. And though the debates get heated, dare I say "passionate" (because life is worth being passionate about-Kazantzakis), they all remain good friends when the day is done and live to converse again.

In the setting I work in, everyone is so "polite" so fearful of upsetting everyone else that they end up being quite vacuous and uninteresting even though each one is an expert in their field. This is a kind of American upper middle class ideal; civility, calmness, politeness and generally unreal and hypocritical. With Polkies, you can slam each other online and be civil when you actually meet them because you respect them as individuals regardless of whether they agree with you or not. We do have a lot in common or we wouldn't keep coming back here.

There are too many here who I would have a beer with and shoot the SXXT with. Tony and I will meet up some day in the windy city because I get out there fairly often. Skip, and Larry, and Rick, and Nightfall, and the Kens, and Psvolsk, GDaniel, cfrizz, and, and, and all those on Tony's list and more. Mhardy is also an interesting fellow I'd like to meet although I know my Southern Mediterranean temperament is a little too volatile for him at times!-I was the guy in Grad School who once suggested that we paint an F in front of the LAW printed on the LAW building where we had our Wed. Seminars, a couple of days later someone had done just that!- You know sometimes we can't even "joke" here for fear of offending someone. Where did the adults go?

I've met quite a number of Polkies at Fests; F1nut, GGrand, Jstas, Doro, H9, and many others, oh, Randy and I have already met a couple of times and once over coffee. No one has disappointed and they've all been great! They're really wonderful people in person. And you really need to meet some of these guys and the few gals we have here face-to-face because they have many more sides to their personality than the small slice you see on this site. I can safely say that I have not met a Polkie in person who I did not like. And we all know what a pain, and how opinionated yours truly can be.

So let's get those Polk Fests back and let's get to SOME whether Polk is with us or not!
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Probably Sumerian. We joined about the same time, and each made a significant investment in upgrading to LSiMs when we saw the value of the first F&F deal. He immediately recognized the value of pairing with Parasound, where I took the detour of staying with Emotiva a while longer. I haven't seen him around since the new site went live. I hope he rejoins the discussion at some point.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Forgot about him. He was a good Sumerian.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    Pfft!

No one.

Even Mr. Grand tells me they should have broken the mold before they made me!

Also, keep wishing, tonyb, I ain't kissin' anything you got!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,185
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I feel that in my time here on the forum I have made many friends and I would not want to leave anyone out, so I will not name names.
    I didn't state my intentions well enough. I really meant this to be people that you don't know...so it's more of an assumption that you would relate to them. I've had a couple of transactions with Paul (rooftop), but my knowledge of who he is as a person comes from reading his posts. I've never so much as had a pm exchange with kenbrydson. If I were to ever meet these two guys, we might not get along at all.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that I can relate to several members. I've talked with them, had dinner with them, and consider them to be friends, therefore they are not eligible to be my choice.

Anyway, carry on. Seemed like it might be a fun topic at the time, but in hindsight it's actually kind of goofy :#:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2015
    Will Paul, since me you & Marvin went out for Cajun food I can't count you even though you are great to hang out and talk to ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    I'm more of a cocktail guy but I'd join you anytime.
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I feel that in my time here on the forum I have made many friends and I would not want to leave anyone out, so I will not name names.
    I didn't state my intentions well enough. I really meant this to be people that you don't know...so it's more of an assumption that you would relate to them. I've had a couple of transactions with Paul (rooftop), but my knowledge of who he is as a person comes from reading his posts. I've never so much as had a pm exchange with kenbrydson. If I were to ever meet these two guys, we might not get along at all.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that I can relate to several members. I've talked with them, had dinner with them, and consider them to be friends, therefore they are not eligible to be my choice.

Anyway, carry on. Seemed like it might be a fun topic at the time, but in hindsight it's actually kind of goofy :#:D
    I'll send you a pm. We can get that out of the way.

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    The one that turned me on to the Joule/Manley/Vtl sound! Should be easy to identify him. Just a quick pic as we unpack.amyj61y8zokg.jpg
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oh, another fellow here whose posts I always enjoy is mrbiron.

The fact that I am currently holding his Bottlehead Reduction phono preamp hostage in my lair has no bearing at all on this endorsement...
    I made it!!!... Mr H, although I'm about 1/2 your age, I'm still legit! One of these days I will grace your humble abode. Oh, I think I had a reduction once. Haven't seen it in a while. :p ...most of my problems are your fault! :D

As far as relating, I'll go with my right hand. We share a lot in common.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    There are so many great people and characters on this forum that I can relate to that it be hard to name them all,

though two that relate to the most are Dave (wessmassguy) & Scott (msg). not so much on the forum but though PM's Email and even phone calls, were talk a lot about everything, I know me & Dave have a lot of the same taste in music and he is definitely a brother to me and I already consider him Family!

Me & Scott are so much alike in our Audio knowledge and lack of knowledge and we talk all the time about what others have said or talked about in audio about different equipment etc... its nice to talk with someone who thinks a lot like myself and it easier to talk to him maybe because we don't feel embarrassed talking to each other about what we think we might try and/or spend on this or that, as we know our audio knowledge isn't up there like others here are.

And on the Dark side of my musical likes there is Charlie (chumlie) we have a like for odd balls like Tom Waits * Nice Cave, Zappa Etc...and we definitely share a like of some music that maybe other would not like.

But I am a happier person thanks to all of you on this forum and what you have taught me about audio and the friendship I've made here from some many...and I do truly like coming here to see what you my friends have been up to or what pic or stories you might be sharing with us! Kudos to everyone here and heck I'm still making new friends now & then it seem like Bruce (AB)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,185
    I'll send you a pm. We can get that out of the way.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Don't do it. It's a trap!!!

I guess you listened to Skip ;) Wise decision.
    voltz wrote: »
    Will Paul, since me you & Marvin went out for Cajun food I can't count you even though you are great to hang out and talk to ;)

Good food and good conversation. I hope it happens again someday.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    edited August 2015
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    moose68bash seems to have his head screwed on pretty tightly.

By and large (and FWIW), there's more aggressive "opinionation" on these forums than I care for -- more ad hominem attacks than I enjoy.

I still like old Polk speakers, though, so I hang around.

Thank you, @mhardy6647.

I also appreciate your posts, which indicate that we have several interests in common beyond music and good sound -- e.g., nature, wildlife, open space, and photography (I like photography but don't pretend to your competence!)

We also both live in the Granite State!

There are obviously a lot of great folks on this Forum, and there are a few to whom I owe thanks for all the help, advice, and expertise they have given me -- @VR3, @DarqueKnight, @F1nut, @Toolfan66, @helipilotdoug, @motorstereo, and @nbrowser, to name a few. I know that I owe thanks to more.

I owe motorstereo a special public "thank you" for giving me a couple of line control stands that he had picked up at a flea market so that I could build two speaker stands for my Allison 6 speakers. I had seen his use of one of these stands to build a stand for his Dreadnought, he offered me these.

I shall start a thread to show what I am doing with these, but first I have to verify that my "design" (such as it is) will work. My first to attempts proved undoable -- for me at least.

In any case, motorstereo, thank you. More to come n the fate of the two stands you so generously gave me! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    I relate to everyone, even those on my BOZO list.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk