Buying and Selling Rules - Discuss

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    nguyendot wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 100 for buying or selling is extreme. We all know that on here you get a "Polkie price" which is extremely discounted from Craigslist or eBay. I personally think that you have to earn that privilege and not just waltz in off the street and be entitled to it.

Sometimes, othertimes not. Sometimes people are clearly offering a great "polkie" price, other times there is just a certain amount they feel they need or should make and so that is what they list it for. The main thing you get here is trust (as a buyer) and a whole lot less hassle (as a seller), and the opportunity to begin or continue on a jouney and perhaps to make some friends along the way...

There is not nor ever has been a rule (written or unwritten) that to sell here you have to offer a special price. Lots of folks do, but its not always the case...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    nguyendot wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 100 for buying or selling is extreme. We all know that on here you get a "Polkie price" which is extremely discounted from Craigslist or eBay. I personally think that you have to earn that privilege and not just waltz in off the street and be entitled to it.

A valid point - However, What an opportunity to bring a "noob" into the fold - The forum, the hobby, the lifestyle of high-end audio...?

If you really want to give a forum member a GREAT deal, consider a karma, with a minimum post count... B)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I have no problem with sellers needing 100 posts before they can sell. However, if a newbie sees a mention of a sale here from Google and just jumps to that thread, then it should be up to the seller to decide whether or not he wants to sell it to a newbie or not.

There is simply no need to jump down the poor guys throat like a bunch of rabid animals scaring them off just so that he can go a spread the word on what a bunch of entitled jerks are on here. What few are remaining that is.

If the seller wants to protect themselves, they can insist on only accepting a postal money order delivered before shipping for the sale to go through.

The seller gets what he wants, the buyer gets what he wants. The buyer may stay or not. Not everyone is interested in making this a lifelong habit, either way I don't see it having and impact on anyone here.

Most of us on here have what we want as far as gear goes, so selling to each other is going to get more difficult. Therefore, the only way to grow is to welcome newbies in no matter how they came to the forum, without putting them through any kind of hazing to prove that they belong.

As for how the owners of the Polk brand have switched to Vanilla, it is what it is, and we are not going to change it.

The Polk of the old days was sold off several years ago and probably all those who cared are now retired and moved on to a new chapter in their lives.

Polk is just one brand name within the conglomerate that bought the Polk name. We are simply a community that likes the Polk brand, but have nothing in common with the conglomerate that owns the Polk brand, they have bigger fish to fry.

Audio gear are luxury items, and people have more important things to take care of. And the vast majority simply aren't interested in spending the kind of money that we do around here.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Change the rules or not, it doesn't matter to me since it doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    A couple of points.....

The FM was never intended as a way to get people to join the forum, if anything it was more of an after thought with the intention of having a way for members to deal amongst themselves without having to pay fees.The FM has always been a privilege for active members.

The post count was raised from 10 to 100 because new people would make 10 fast BS posts in order to gain access to the FM.

Active forum membership has never been all that high, less than 50 I would say.

The FM was visible for years and years via any search engine until we had vBulletin hide it for that brief period of time before the switch to the disaster known as Vanilla.

I think that just about every audio forum has rules of some sort for buying and selling. For someone to come here thinking differently is quite frankly, ignorant. A couple of examples, at AK you have to PAY a fee to sell or buy. The Steve Hoffman forum requires you to have 50 posts AND be a member for 30 days. Some forums have a separate section for newbie sales while restricting access to the main FM area until a post requirement is met.

Personally, I don't want to see the FM opened to just any buyer as it defeats the original purpose, but after giving it some thought 100 posts does seem a bit much for selling or buying. Perhaps we should consider lowering it to 50.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    F1nut gettin' liberal. Go pee in his bushes Lightman1 :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut gettin' liberal. Go pee in his bushes Lightman1 :)

I will never be a liberal.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Perhaps changing a few other things would help as the rules are not all that obvious right now.

I suggest that in addition to this at the top of the page....

{quote]For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Anything for sale by a private owner. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTINGS![/quote]

We add in caps, YOU MUST HAVE 50 POSTS TO DO BUSINESS HERE.

Also, this thread title needs to be changed from....
    ******before you post read this******

....to ~ THE RULES ~

Comments?

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Even with the new rules in place, you could not really post "Polkie" prices. I generally list my items as general prices, because it is public. Most of the items that I have sold here went substantially lower than the publicly posted price and it was always to established members.

I don't care what platform this forum is built on,it is not difficult to have requirements before entry into a thread or topic. The post counter already exists.

halen.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited July 2015
    100/50 rule sounds right to me FWIW

For the time being would it be that hard for the sellers to post in their thread
    "Must have 50+ posts to purchase"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    So, instead of being chased away for <100 posts, now they'll be chased away for <50.
    Why not let the seller decide who qualifies?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    So, instead of being chased away for <100 posts, now they'll be chased away for <50.

I think DSkip answered this well, earlier in this thread - (to paraphrase) because the users in the established community should not be beaten in a great value/buying opportunity by someone that has contributed nothing, simply because the sales offer is public (to Google searches) as a result of the limitations of Vanilla.

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,708
    The old vBulleten forum had statistics on the bottom of the main page. I remember it had "most user's ever online". The number was over 1700 in June or July of 2007. There were way more than 50 active users at that time. It was probably down to 50 before the change to vannila.

Forums in general all seem to be getting less active, as people seem to prefer twitter and facebook. Although this one seems to be dying faster than most, I don't think the flea market, or the rules there have much to do with the drop in activity.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Kurt300 wrote: »

I think DSkip answered this well, earlier in this thread - (to paraphrase) because the users in the established community should not be beaten in a great value/buying opportunity by someone that has contributed nothing, simply because the sales offer is public (to Google searches) as a result of the limitations of Vanilla.
    The seller simply decides who he sells to. For example, "I seller offer Amp for $200. To Polkies with >500 posts, $150. I will not sell to anyone who has been here less than a year, has <50 posts, wears green shirts...whatever.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    So, instead of being chased away for <100 posts, now they'll be chased away for <50...
    Regardless of the number of posts required, I think we could avoid chasing people off if we responded to them better. If we responded with a welcome to the forum and a desire for them to stay and be a part of the forum, along with a link to the rules, some of those individuals might hang around. For example: "Welcome to Club Polk and thank you for your interest in ________. Unfortunately forum rules prevent the sale/purchase of an item if you have less than ## posts. Please stick around as we have a great group of guys with a lot of knowledge around here."

That being said, I like the idea of the seller setting his/her own criteria and selling to whomever they choose. I think most of us would definitely give first chance (and possibly a better price) to our regular members.

Also, I think everyone should be commended for the way this thread has gone. Obviously we don't all completely agree, but I think something productive can come from this thread if we continue to be open minded.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    In the old days when I was new here, if I tried to comment on an item in the FS section, it just didn’t work. The “you don’t have enough posts” to access this area or “whatever it said” popped up and that was fine.
    With the new system, we don’t have that automatic “you need 100 posts to buy or sale” comment.

Since the forum change, I have referred many people to this place because it’s a great audio forum and once a person gets a certain post count, then you can buy and sell items. Some of these people do frequent the site from time to time. Fact is, I talk to these folks from time to time and they always say the same “great knowledge” place but wow, there are a few angry people at that place which is really a turn off. I suppose that’s a fact at any given forum.

Recently, 3 people I know have never returned due to member “communication/responses”. They were looking to buy some items and probably should have remembered what I told them about buying/selling but they didn’t. I think these few folks would have made fine members plus they had renewed interest in audio and cash to spend.

I personally “cringe” when someone new arrives, makes a comment to buy or sale and gets slammed by a few. Even though it is correct as per the current rules on how to buy and sell here, it’s not always communicated the best way IMO.

This place is great because most people look out for each other when it comes to buying and selling. Since there is no longer a reliable “seller/ratings” thing, I rely on you folks when I want to make a purchase.

Oops, back on thread topic, I have little preference to the rules as they stand. I see no problem with lowering the post count slightly. Maybe it will generate more coin in someone’s pocket, or help folks stick around.

Didn’t mean to wee wee in anyone’s cornflakes, I’m old with too much time on my hands. :#
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    First thank you guys for keeping this civil. Its somewhat obvious at this point that we as a community are going to have to be somewhat the driving force for some of these issues moving forward. Being able to have a civil conversation and hopefully come to some sort of agreement on how to move forward will only help us in the long run.

I've waited a bit to post my thoughts, and TBH they are mostly covered here, but that wont stop me from weighing in. I see the FM as a benefit to those that are participating members. The goal of the FM for me is 2 fold.

1. Allow members to interact with each other to provide deals on gear, as well as try to avoid fees associated with eBay, Audiogon, etc. I dont know of a single deal here where I was not ok with sending money via PayPal as a gift.

2. Allow members to give each other deals on gear to help it move faster and stay "in the family" so to speak.

However a couple of things have changed since the old forum has retired.

1. Items for sale her are now show up in Google search results. This can cause issues if you've cross listed this elsewhere with a discounted price here. This isn't something we can change in the future. I don't know what a great solution is to this besides listing items at the same price in all locations and then if asked by a regular member here give them the "real price".

2. You can access these threads directly now as a result of #1. So if someone on the web finds your item they can simply sign up for an account and then post they are interested. Because you need 10 posts still to PM, they will have to post in your thread initially, because most of them are here for that one item and nothing else. I dont see removing the 10 post minimum before you can PM as being something we want to do, so I dont see a way to stop this from continuing to happen.

However I do think we can do a better job of policing the FM as a community. We want to make sure that contributing members get first shot at the gear at a discounted price over a total stranger. That said, any seller is technically free to sell their item however they deem fit under the table or otherwise. I think that moving forward we should do the following:

1. 100 posts to sell is should still be a requirement. This to me ensures that items offered here are from legit members and we wont get a lot of one hit wonders. Now there is nothing to stop someone from joining just to post because of the fact there are no safeguards in place to stop them from doing that. Maintaining the integrity of the Classifieds is important and its something we as a community will have to keep enforcing.

2. I believe that a 50 posts minimum as a buyer should be initially enforced. I agree with @DSkip and others that getting 100 posts now is a bit harder since most of the threads you could post in like the birthday threads are mostly gone (though the What are you listening to thread is still out there). If a +50 post member and a >50 post member are interested in the item, the +50 member gets first shot at it. However if after a bit the items hasn’t sold (timeframe undetermined), I personally see no problem with the seller being willing to deal with ANYONE they choose, however they obviously assume any and all risks in that transaction since the buyer is a unknown. I don’t see a problem with handling those sales out in the open of the forum rather than in the dark of a PM or outside communication.

3. I see merit in having a standard tag line of sorts to alert single post members about buying with to real background of who they are, etc. I like some of the existing language a couple people have posted so I say we work on something that we can copy and pasted into a thread. By having something like this we can simply copy and paste it in the thread since we normally copy and paste a link to the “Rules”. This will allow us to continue to police the FM as we do now, however perhaps come across a bit less like jerks jumping down new people’s throats (which I admit I’ve done more than once). Additionally the same language should be….

4. Post a slightly modified version of the language from #3 in all sale ads. By setting expectations at the front end we should hopefully be able to curb those one hit wonders from trying to buy hopefully a little.

And in reading this it seems most people are on the same page. So I think we need to work on the following:

1. An Updated “Rules” thread
    2. Stock language to post when someone with under 50 posts is trying to buy
    3. Stock language for sellers to post in their initial sale thread.

Sorry if this was long, just finally had time to sit down and write it all out.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    When someone new would post a question (back when new people came here), 50% of the time it was in reference to bi-amping or bi-wiring, which they usually got the terms mixed up. And they were usually told to search for bi-amping because there were countless threads on the subject. After being here for awhile, I understand that it's frustrating to keep answering the same questions over and over, but telling someone new to search for the answer in older threads discourages their participation and future posting. I'm sure 95% of the questions asked here can be found by searching old threads and that's great, it's an awesome resource, but it creates a forum where only advanced audio enthusiasts post new comments. Which is fine if that's what you are trying to create. I was really green when I came here, I think the majority of new blood would be as green as I was and it takes patience to deal with that. I thought bi-amping meant you were running an amp with your AVR or pre. I knew nothing about the world of cables, speaker placement, vibration deadening, or room treatments. I'm glad I stuck around, but my first 100 posts were tough and took a few months because I thought I was being judged by how often I posted and what I was asking. If I posted too quickly or posted a non-audio comment, I was trying to gain access into the flea market. You guys were patient with me, but I know it sucks having to read the same questions asked, over and over. Now that I've been here for a couple years, I feel comfortable posting a useless, non-audio comment, or posting a picture.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Herm, that's the way it is for most trying to fit in with a new to them environment, on any forum. I think we do pretty good answering those redundant questions, aggravating as it may be.

So my questions to some of you who wish to re-write the rule are....

What makes you think people will read these "new rules" when they can't read the ones we have now ? What makes you think we as members will abide by new rules, when some don't abide by them now ?

2nd question obviously takes some self policing amongst members. Ist question.....leaves us back at square one.

Breaking this down, it appears some would like software/Polk to be the "bad guy" in refuting unqualified buyers and sellers, rather than the membership. Nobody wants to be the one to tell someone "sorry chief".....because if we do that turns people off ?

IMHO....if your that thin skinned, audio forums are going to be a rough go for you no matter where you land. Most forums take a while to learn the lay of the land, the different and abundant personalities. This isn't new stuff I'm talkin' here, but in a world of hurt feelings, PC, being offended at the least bit of rejection, it seems silly to bend to....or accommodate that behavior. Again, just my .02
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If it's 10 or 100 post count rule it really comes down how we respond to someone new since Vanilla FM is not protected via google or internet searches.

If members are going to some what police, there needs to be a generic response that is copied and pasted when responding to someone new in the FM.

When someone lands in a FS thread from and internet search it's not their fault.
    so no need to respond to them "did you read the rules you can't buy/sell here"....because they never saw the rule, and Vanilla doesn't flag them

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2015
    tonyb wrote: »
    So my questions to some of you who wish to re-write the rule are....

1. What makes you think people will read these "new rules" when they can't read the ones we have now ?
    2. What makes you think we as members will abide by new rules, when some don't abide by them now ?

1. No real way to make them read that thread, however if we post some stock language in our sale post initially its better than nothing, and if we have some stock language we can post as a reply to a new member trying to buy it might get them to stick around, or at least not feel like we are being dic ks about it.
    2. I think everyone's in agreement about the # of posts required to sell, the issue seems to be with the # of posts needed to buy. If we lower that to a number most of the forum is happier with (50 seems to be the number I see most) I'm certain we will get more buy in for the rules from people currently not following them because they dont agree with them. We cant make everyone happy ever, but I think the buy count is the point of contentious for most.

And lastly by having some stock language to post we can come across as "nicer" instead of just saying something like: "Nice try buddy, you cant sell/buy here (insert link to rules thread)

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    to throw out another option, maybe have 2 classifieds. One for sub 50 posters where we move those threads when they appear, one for established member.......

Couple forums I frequent have that type of setup.....
  • Kurt300
    edited July 2015
    Ender, very impressive summation and suggested way forward.

Suggested stock language to post when someone with under the minimum posts is trying to buy or sell:

"Welcome to the Polk Audio Forum! Thank you for your interest in our Flea Market area. Unfortunately, you do not yet have the minimum required postings to buy or sell items. We find that requiring a minimum of posts (50 to buy, 100 to sell) allows us to get to know you a bit, and get a comfort level before buying or selling here. Please do stay and participate - not only will you learn a lot, but we want to learn what you know as well, and welcome you into a community that helps one another in this great hobby, as well as offers members substantial savings in acquiring quality used audio equipment from other people in our community."

Suggested stock language for sellers to post in their initial sale thread:

"While we welcome and encourage new members to join this forum, we do require a minimum of 50 posts by new members before buying items in the Polk Audio Forum Flea Market. We find this rule helps eliminate problems associated with blind anonymity and establishes a comfort level that leads to the excellent values you will find in the quality used audio equipment being sold by our members."
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I don't have a problem with lowering the buying side to 50, we can all give Ken a shout and have him change that no problem.

If "nice try buddy" is going to scare some away as suggested, then dealing with regular members on the forum will certainly do so. lol

Just having a hard time following the way of thinking by some. Membership is suppose to police the forum, among other members to do the right thing, yet we are incapable of policing the FM ? We need a generic response to cut and paste ? Heck, lets make up a generic response to all the redundant questions too and simply post that.

Why are some so worried about hurt feelings and turning some off by the FM ? Just start a cable thread, that will do more harm than anything in the FM. Point is, getting **** is common with audio forums, most internet forums in general.

Many of you constantly wish for the forum of old, yet keep proceeding down the path of which that old forum wasn't.....I don't get it. Maybe I'm just slow or somethin'. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2015
    tonyb wrote: »
    We need a generic response to cut and paste ?

Mainly I suggested it because lots of people like myself are lazy and being able to cut and paste makes it easy to respond, and you can respond to multiple for sale threads with the same response if needed.

I tend to see the same response of "nice try, read this (insert link to rules" from the same member(s) so I know they are just copying and pasting it from their old posts anyway.

I agree people need thicker skin, but unfortunately most people are too quick to get offended nowadays, so it cant hurt to try and just come across as more cordial. Plus typing a nicely worded friendly response with lots of words takes time and so I dont do it lots because its work. I'd rather cut and paste one thats already been done.
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2015
    duplicate post
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Two double posts in a row. That is how members get their post count up. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Now the forum is a footnote on the main page, not even seen in the main menu bar at the top.

Getting Polk to change that would likely generate more new members than access to the FM.

President of Club Polk

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Two double posts in a row. That is how members get their post count up. :)
    LOL Bluefox, that's rich! :D

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2015
    I don't think anyone is saying that we need to be overly sensitive to the feelings of others. My interpretation is that it's just as easy to be nice and welcoming in a response as it is to be a jerk in a response. The person may never return either way, but why choose to be a jerk* to someone because they showed interest in an item in the FM?

*I don't think most are being jerks per se, but the responses are sometimes a bit terse.

The forum has a problem (low participation) that needs fixing. Making changes may not work, but the status quo certainly isn't going to either.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Kurt300
    F1nut wrote: »
    Now the forum is a footnote on the main page, not even seen in the main menu bar at the top.

Getting Polk to change that would likely generate more new members than access to the FM.

There might be a good reason for the way it is now. Collectively making the changes we are discussing might engender a willingness to push the forum to a higher profile.