I just wrecked my stylus with the magic eraser

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    PFB II ???
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I got my hand slapped here for using what I thought was stylus brush. Oh no, it was the cleaning brush for the RCA cleaning thing

I remember that it was the brush you use to clean the lint of the Discwasher pad, I'm surprised your stylus survived :#

Wow Afterburnt a real awesome gesture from Daryll aka (Voltz) a Ortofon Red coming your way. Voltz you the man.
    Daryll IS the bomb! he is sending me all kinds of bonus prizes too!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have been there & done that so glad I can help.

Figured while I was sending you something I would toss in a record clamp I wasn't using and a couple of Duplicate LP's & a DVD that helps you set up a TT.

But like Rich suggested maybe if you get comfortable installing a cartridge you may want to try a high output MC cartridge someday... I now using a Sumiko MC Blue point #2 on my TT and really like it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    edited July 2015
    voltz wrote: »

Figured while I was sending you something I would toss in a record clamp I wasn't using and a couple of Duplicate LP's & a DVD that helps you set up a TT.

But like Rich suggested maybe if you get comfortable installing a cartridge you may want to try a high output MC cartridge someday... I now using a Sumiko MC Blue point #2 on my TT and really like it.

Kindness like this by Voltz is what makes the forum special.
    Thank You Voltz

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    Yes first time being a bone head ultimately had a sweet outcome.
  • afterburnt
    I still have cruddy feeling for tearing my stuff up in the first few minutes of the game lol
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    Keiko wrote: »
    I quit using liquid cleaners. Some may have chemicals that can actually loosen the glue that hold the stylus to the cantilever. Been using the ME for a few years now and it's kept my stylus squeaky clean.

qdlon1lrx3vn.jpg

That's the reason I quite using liquid stylus cleaner. It never happened to me but I was told the same thing. I also use the Magic Eraser and have never had an issue.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWf6tlvVss

What a jamoke, 2 years and he still aint wrecked it?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Thats what i use & seems to work for me
    Randy/Maine
  • afterburnt

Darryl everything arrived safe and sound. Up and running again. I can't thank you enough! If there is anything that I can ever help you with just ask. Great albums too!

Thanks
    Bruce
  • voltz
    Awesome! You welcome Bruce.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    oWch! I've always used the safe method when using the ME. Sorry to hear, man.

I've become accustomed to the pull out method myself :D

Afterburnt that was fast, well how do you like the Ortofon over that Audio Technica?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    Gud it is pretty nice hell of an improvement!
  • afterburnt
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Afterburnt, If you want, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a Discwasher SC-1 stylus cleaner brush, no charge. The photo is of the actual extra brush I would send you. You can use it dry, there is also Discwasher fluid available, you used to put one drop on the brush before you would start at the rear of the stylus and pull it forward through the bristles to clean. Just offering.e10137lzqd99.jpg

Tim I got the brush today. It looks a lot less hazardous than the "Mr Clean Magic Stylus Destroyer" Thanks if there is anyway that I can return the favor just say so!

• voltz
    Just touch it and dont rub it LOL

BTW AB the ortofon cartridge has replacable stylus without changing out the cartridge each time ...you can get the blue stylus for $100 more and it sounds better then the RED...easy to switch between them

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4509-ortofon-2m-blue-replacement-stylus.aspx

• afterburnt
    thanks Darryl, I probably won't be able to stop myself from buying one lol
  • voltz
    LOL Sorry Bruce, but be careful...that blue stylus is the one I snapped off after about 15 minutes of using it :'(

• afterburnt
    afterburnt wrote: »

Now it sounds really good, added an A31 to my ghetto speakers lol.

• afterburnt

Now it sounds really good, added an A31 to my ghetto speakers lol.

Best part is that I can't retire now!
  • afterburnt

Afterburnt that was fast, well how do you like the Ortofon over that Audio Technica?

Breaking into some prized old/new albums and I am surprised how well these 70's sound with this Ortofon.

• voltz

Breaking into some prized old/new albums and I am surprised how well these 70's sound with this Ortofon.

Glad your enjoy the Cartridge! I was talking to one of the guys from Acoustic sounds and they are the ones pressing a lot of the newer Vinyls, and told him I had pick up a Pro-ject Debut carbon and it had the Red ortofon on it and ask if I change it out? what should i use?

He said don't do it.. he felt the Red was a perfect match for the debut Carbon and said to spend the $$$ for a upgrade on a better phono amp before the cartridge.

• afterburnt
    I am not using the internal preamp in the Teac, I am going straight to the phono input on the AVR. Do you think I would benefit from a separate preamp?
  • voltz
    ^^^^^
    that is a sweet little phono amplifier, I liked it a lot and the only reason I change to a different one was it's size is about 9 inches wide and wouldn't fit into my audio rack where I needed it too.

but external phono amps are normally better, especially over AVR's .. but you should try the one in your Teac also and compare those two. but if your happy then you good.

The dude in the DVD I gave ya recommends that Phono preamplifier.

• afterburnt
    Oh well I guess I need one of these too lol
  • afterburnt
    ^^^^^
    that is a sweet little phono amplifier, I liked it a lot and the only reason I change to a different one was it's size is about 9 inches wide and wouldn't fit into my audio rack where I needed it too.

but external phono amps are normally better, especially over AVR's .. but you should try the one in your Teac also and compare those two. but if your happy then you good.

The dude in the DVD I gave ya recommends that Phono preamplifier.
    Darryl I did try the Teac preamp with the original cartridge and like the Yamaha better (I think) I will give it another try when I get home from work today.
  • afterburnt
    What about this one? I know nothing about phono preamps so the numbers mean nothing to me but they are 10% off and I get another 10% off of that.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1
  • voltz
    edited July 2015
    I have not heard anything about that one, and have not heard any Emotiva stuff myself. but here is a link to some that AA carries and for the price of the Emotiva I like the Cambridge 551p that AA has.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=74&val=1

they do have the Zphono for $199 but you should get it from Skip if you go that way!

• afterburnt
    Thanks guys Skip is trying to give me some very good guidance and I think is steering me in the right direction.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    why not the Shure M97xE ?

I have this unit, what an awesome product.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    I have one also it's quite good
    RamZet wrote: »
    why not the Shure M97xE ?

I have this unit, what an awesome product.

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1