I just wrecked my stylus with the magic eraser

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
Well since I am half blind with no glasses I thought that I had lifted the tone arm off of the eraser, but nooooooo! Swung it over and the stylus bent over 45 degrees out of place. I bent it back but it is still off center. So what should I replace it with? Amazon has the stylus for 32 bucks, the whole damned cartridge is like 39!

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Ouch. Thank god its a cheap fix
    Randy/Maine
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Replace the cartridge with an Ortofon red or blue, and get a real stylus brush and cleaning solution. I see your not far into your vinyl resurgance, and unfortunately you already have to upgrade the cartridge, move on up to a better one. I read in one of your threads where someone warned you not to use the magic eraser, you should of listened. Sorry to hear about your stylus.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Replace the cartridge with an Ortofon red or blue, and get a real stylus brush and cleaning solution. I see your not far into your vinyl resurgance, and unfortunately you already have to upgrade the cartridge, move on up to a better one. I read in one of your threads where someone warned you not to use the magic eraser, you should of listened. Sorry to hear about your stylus.

I don't remember seeing a warning but that doesn't meant that it wasn't there. I really didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing the cartridge with all the alignment stuff but I may as well try an upgrade.

I dont have the setup tools, any recommendations on how to install a new cartridge?
  • afterburnt
    why not the Shure M97xE ?
  • gudnoyez
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168129/cleaning-stylus-with-mr-clean-magic-eraser

My bad it wasn't your thread last post sums it up

That Shure is a decent cartridge I owned one, they have been around a while lots of people use them, if you could swing for the Ortofon blue you would be a happy vinyl enthusiast.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Oops. I have been using the Magic Eraser and it's been working great. Sorry to hear about your accident.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Afterburnt, If you want, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a Discwasher SC-1 stylus cleaner brush, no charge. The photo is of the actual extra brush I would send you. You can use it dry, there is also Discwasher fluid available, you used to put one drop on the brush before you would start at the rear of the stylus and pull it forward through the bristles to clean. Just offering.e10137lzqd99.jpg
  • afterburnt
    Night it did work great until I screwed up.

Gud, do you know where to get a good price on one?
  • afterburnt
    aprazer402, that is very kind of you to offer. I will pm you thanks!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I do I do :) I have one you can have! I upgraded mine and I have 1 Ortofon Red Cartridge with a still very good stylus and if you like I will included a DVD for you on how to setup a new cartridge and a alignment tool called a geo-disk from mobile fidelity

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7295-mobile-fidelity-geo-disc-stylus-alignment-protractor.aspx

just let me know if interested and send me a PM and its yours!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    Night it did work great until I screwed up.

Gud, do you know where to get a good price on one?

Gud I mean for the red

• afterburnt
    You guys are great! I thought about abandoning the vinyl but now I will stay in Wonderland and I see how deep the rabbit-hole goes. lol
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    disappointment and heartache. Sorry to hear it. :'(
  • afterburnt
    Yeah I got home from work today and I guess I was overly exuberant to get back to my LP's and screwed the pooch.
  • voltz
    I did that myself once, ripped the stylus clean off my cartridge after having just started listening to it, was putting on another record with a micro cloth as not to touch it and as I pulled the cloth away it grabbed the stylus and snapped it off. I had just changed my Red Orotofon to a blue and after that I went back to the RED I offered you.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• afterburnt
    At least my digital stuff on the HDD is idiot proof, so far...
  • afterburnt
    DSkip wrote: »
    At least my digital stuff on the HDD is idiot proof, so far...

Just keep the magic magnets away from it and you should be good.

I do have a second HDD on standby.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Well since I am half blind with no glasses I thought that I had lifted the tone arm off of the eraser, but nooooooo! Swung it over and the stylus bent over 45 degrees out of place. I bent it back but it is still off center. So what should I replace it with? Amazon has the stylus for 32 bucks, the whole damned cartridge is like 39!
    voltz wrote: »
    I did that myself once, ripped the stylus clean off my cartridge after having just started listening to it, was putting on another record with a micro cloth as not to touch it and as I pulled the cloth away it grabbed the stylus and snapped it off. I had just changed my Red Orotofon to a blue and after that I went back to the RED I offered you.
    LOL
    am I the only one laughing at the visuals on these mishaps? I'm laughing with you, guys, laughing with you :) glad they're not more serious.

I've certainly had my share of accidents like this. usually accompanied by expletives.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    The older I get, the better I get at **** up lol fuzz brain
  • afterburnt
    I can still shave my head without too much blood loss
  • afterburnt
    I found a great use for the magic erasers. I am afraid to use them again for cleaning the stylus because I don't trust myself not to wreck something again. I have the TT on a platform sitting on vibrapods which are pretty effective and I was thinking of putting some closed cell insulation under the feet of the TT since I could still feel some vibration coming through the shelf from the floor. Voilà almost perfectly isolated!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    DSkip wrote: »
    These still aren't as bad as tipping over a Maggie and hearing the mylar pop as it hits the ground....
    OHHHHH!!! $@%*&!

I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Keiko for the record lol what is the safe method?
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I got my hand slapped here for using what I thought was stylus brush. Oh no, it was the cleaning brush for the RCA cleaning thing. I don't use that anymore. For LPs I use Phan-Stat spray on a soft rag. For the stylus, just canned air for now. Some dudes around here use Zero Dust Onzow.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ERPWAK2/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=7004845498&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_30nnn4izdb_e
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I use the safe magic eraser method, seems to work well.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I use this...
    pi_502.jpeg

And this...
    41Dgg8DyrwL._SY355_.jpg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • voltz
    edited July 2015
    I use the Onzow zero dust also and "LAST" stylus conditioner.

And I think the key is to touch the stylus not to rub or wipe across it.

• afterburnt
    I found a great use for the magic erasers. I am afraid to use them again for cleaning the stylus because I don't trust myself not to wreck something again. I have the TT on a platform sitting on vibrapods which are pretty effective and I was thinking of putting some closed cell insulation under the feet of the TT since I could still feel some vibration coming through the shelf from the floor. Voilà almost perfectly isolated!
    And looks pretty spiffy too (real ghetto) lol
  • gudnoyez
    I got my hand slapped here for using what I thought was stylus brush. Oh no, it was the cleaning brush for the RCA cleaning thing

I remember that it was the brush you use to clean the lint of the Discwasher pad, I'm surprised your stylus survived :#

Wow Afterburnt a real awesome gesture from Daryll aka (Voltz) a Ortofon Red coming your way. Voltz you the man.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    And looks pretty spiffy too (real ghetto) lol

Black spray paint may help.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.