MF KW500 Integrated - any experience?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,519
Just put an offer on one of the KW500 Integrateds on audiogon, hopefully the guy accepts and I take delivery next week. Anyone here has experience or opinion on this integrated? I've always watched from the sidelines as this always seemed like a good value. My brother has the M6i integrated and it sounds very good.

Hopefully he accepts my offer.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You'll need a dedicated 10 gauge, 20 amp line and a good power cord to feed that monster otherwise you won't get what it's capable of. It also likes to be left on 24/7.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Jealous.

Hope you get it.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd put that thing at "end-game" status, from all I've read or heard about it. No hands-on experience to offer, though. Good luck!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have dedicated lines covered stronzo in the main room but I am planning this to go into the secondary.

Once I move them to the secondary room, I will install another dedicated line. Shouldn't be too hard.

And I listen to you stronzo
    Post edited by Joey_V on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Jealous.

Hope you get it.
    I'm excited!!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You'll need a dedicated 10 gauge, 20 amp line and a good power cord to feed that monster otherwise you won't get what it's capable of. It also likes to be left on 24/7.

Figured since you had it, it has to be pretty good.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Hey Sean,

I did not know there was a KW550 integrated....

I am not looking for end game, I am looking for something that works well and is reliable. This is for a secondary system and at that price, difficult to beat if all the reviews are correct.

In a few years, when I have big boy money, we'll get to some really really good no holds barred stuff.

Joey
  • Joey_V
    Options
    PS

The seller rejected my offer, we will see what he says about the 2nd offer... crossing fingers.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Zero wrote: »
    Will this be used with the Strads?

No that is not the plan. The strads will get Cary and then I will evaluate. I will likely roll in some really nice SS amps to pair with a tube pre and see how that does on the future Strads. I am thinking either let me try a pair of Parasound JC1, Classe M600, Krell 402e Evolution, or some high powered macs like the MC1.2kw or the 601.

Then I will decide which direction the main system will go. It is entirely possible that I keep the Cary 211fe regardless and have a 2nd set of SS amps.

UNLESS I buy some heavy duty gear like some Dagostinos or soulution and I will have to sell the 211fe for sake if finances.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options
    Joey,

It looks like I'll need to make a correction. I haven't heard the 500. Only the KW-550.

I suppose it all hinges on what you're after Joey. If I had to be brutally honest, the KW-550 wouldn't even earn a spot on my top-20 list of favorite integrated amps - and I actually like Musical Fidelity.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why so many people love this product. It's tough to hate on a piece that's built like a f***king M1 Abrams tank, can drive just about any loudspeaker ever made, is punchy as all get out, can create a massive soundstage, and possess the kinda 'forward' voicing that a lot of people love. I get it.

Still, to me, the KW-550 sounded like a component that was voiced to walk the line between musicality and transparency - and fended up failing to do wither. The midrange and bass sounded a touch bloated to my ears, and the treble sounded gritty and transistory. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't dig the sound.

Anyway, that's my experience with the piece. I readily admit that there is probably a combination that would make me really love the KW-550. Either way, all of my banter may be neither here nor there. If my memory serves me correctly, the 500 supposed to be less colored sounding than the 550. If that's the case, then you may very well be onto a winner. I'm not sure how the 500 will match up with your B&W's. When I heard the KW-550 on a set of 802D's, well, .. erm.. yeah. hehe Anyway, at least it has the name recognition and the bling factor that you tend to go for, so that's a start. :D

Any thoughts on the M6i? Don't mean to derail the thread at all but I may be checking one of these out soon.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The kW500 nor any of the other MF pieces I've heard do not sound anything like the description of the kW550 above.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    Joey,

It looks like I'll need to make a correction. I haven't heard the 500. Only the KW-550.

I suppose it all hinges on what you're after Joey. If I had to be brutally honest, the KW-550 wouldn't even earn a spot on my top-20 list of favorite integrated amps - and I actually like Musical Fidelity.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why so many people love this product. It's tough to hate on a piece that's built like a f***king M1 Abrams tank, can drive just about any loudspeaker ever made, is punchy as all get out, can create a massive soundstage, and possess the kinda 'forward' voicing that a lot of people love. I get it.

Still, to me, the KW-550 sounded like a component that was voiced to walk the line between musicality and transparency - and fended up failing to do wither. The midrange and bass sounded a touch bloated to my ears, and the treble sounded gritty and transistory. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't dig the sound.

Anyway, that's my experience with the piece. I readily admit that there is probably a combination that would make me really love the KW-550. Either way, all of my banter may be neither here nor there. If my memory serves me correctly, the 500 supposed to be less colored sounding than the 550. If that's the case, then you may very well be onto a winner. I'm not sure how the 500 will match up with your B&W's. When I heard the KW-550 on a set of 802D's, well, .. erm.. yeah. hehe Anyway, at least it has the name recognition and the bling factor that you tend to go for, so that's a start. :D

Any thoughts on the M6i? Don't mean to derail the thread at all but I may be checking one of these out soon.

Brother has it and it sounded good enough to get me to look at more MF pieces.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The kW500 nor any of the other MF pieces I've heard do not sound anything like the description of the kW550 above.

Me neither, that description sounds like it was broken or something else in the system was amiss.

Joey,
    Someone else here has the M6i and loves the darn thing, maybe they'll chime in. If SS amplification is your goal, Pass has to be near the top, McCormack, MF. Ted had the MF superchargers before finally going all tube with the Wolcotts. As I recall, he liked the superchargers better than the Bat vk-600. Obviously there are other choices, but no so down to earth pricing.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Me neither, that description sounds like it was broken or something else in the system was amiss.

Joey,
    Someone else here has the M6i and loves the darn thing, maybe they'll chime in. If SS amplification is your goal, Pass has to be near the top, McCormack, MF. Ted had the MF superchargers before finally going all tube with the Wolcotts. As I recall, he liked the superchargers better than the Bat vk-600. Obviously there are other choices, but no so down to earth pricing.

Yeah my brother likes his m6i quite a bit
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    What's the forum opinion on the Tri Vista 300 int amp?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • F1nut
    Options

I thought it was excellent.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who heard one and said they didn't like it. To me, the 500 has a more refined sound but still maintains that MF house sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Guy is playing hardball, doesn't want to deal. He wants 2900, I wanted it for 2350.. hmm...

Worth it? New tubes inside and has extra tubes... 2nd owner.

Thoughts?

He's playing the "I'm not aching for money" card...
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    Is this one of the two KW 500s on audiogon?

If so, his price is quit a bit lower than the other listing. Maybe he's playing firm cuz of his initial price in comparison to the other.

Any historical data on previous sales to know if his price is 'right'?

• brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Guy is playing hardball, doesn't want to deal. He wants 2900, I wanted it for 2350.. hmm...

Worth it? New tubes inside and has extra tubes... 2nd owner.

Thoughts?

He's playing the "I'm not aching for money" card...

$2900 seems a bit high to me. I had the same experience with the kw500 as zero had with the kw550. Sold it within couple months
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    My dad is a wholesale car dealer. Has been doing it since the early 70s.
    He has a saying..."Never get emotionally invested in a purchase, otherwise you give the seller all the ammunition they need to win any negotiation."
    He also said "No purchase should ever be so important to you that you can't walk away from it at a moment's notice."

Of course, this coming from the guy who has made some wildly insane purchases of cars for his personal collection so take it with a grain of salt. LOL.

Point is, don't hesitate to walk away if you don't get the purchase for what you want.
    "Thanks for your counter offer but I just don't need this item bad enough to over-pay for it."
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    Options
    Does that work for marriages too ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    It did for my first one... >:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    Options
    The price is right.

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Does that work for marriages too ? :)

Bahahahha
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The price is right.

Jesse

The question is - is the price adequate at 2900 or a great deal?
  • F1nut
    Options
    For the condition the price is on the money. I've seen other ones with scratches and/or nicks go for a bit less.

The extra tubes mean nothing as they are inexpensive.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    Personally, I think the M6500i is where you need to be.....a monster.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    I need my soap opera update 'fix'....what is the haps???

Did he or didn't he, the sands of time are running out!! :)

• Erik Tracy
    Options
    Pssstt....Joey....if you didn't get the KW - go check out the M6i in the Flea Market!