Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Rose Gold... Is this like the imperfect colored, dirty diamond? You know, the rejected diamond color so tainted and now re-marketed as the Chocolate Diamond? Rose Gold?

Interesting.

It's not imperfect, it has a different alloy mix. Similar to rolex's white gold, it actually has platinum in it rather than a surface rhodium coating so no need to ever get it replated like you would with all your white gold engagement rings. The Rolex white gold is "white" through and through and we have cut through a solid white gold link to verify.

The rose gold mix is superb.

But I tho my he best rose gold mix is not rolex's... It is patek.

There is no such thing as white gold, unless it was chemically treated. I have many platinum rings as well, I can't resell it for anything.

Rose gold? Show me where I could buy a Troy ounce of rose gold to invest and has more value than pure 99.99% gold. From this perspective,it is in fact imperfect.

I guess Rose Gold, when applied to watches makes it fancier, according to marketing.

All in all. You guys have nice watches, ahem, time pieces. It is about the craftsmanship, I will not deny that. But if anyone claims these automatic time pieces are incredibly accurate, I simply can't take you seriously.

Halen

Halen bro

No one has mentioned these are the most accurate. But these are, in my opinion, far more awesome than any quartz or digital watch out there.

Just my opinion.

And there is no such thing as pure white gold - it's an alloy. Just like rose and every other material out there. All are alloys, even the yellow gold versions of anything are only max 18k which makes it 75% gold. If we were only trying to get te purest gold, watches or jewelry isn't the way - get a bar.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I remember the Patek Philippe commercial years ago about the dad who was trying to make the decision whether to pass on to his son (graduating from university ?) his Patek Philippe watch or give him a new car , I think he ended up giving the lad keys to the car,lol. There's some really excellent videos on Youtube about passing a Patek Phillipe on to the son. That watch in the pic is bad a **!
    Yeah dude... Bad a**
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Joey,

You are correct on many points. I will not argue that.

If I bought a sports car, I expect it to be fast.
    If I bought hand stitched shoes, belts, slacks, suits, I expect it to fit perfectly and last much longer.
    If I bought big speakers, I expect it to have big sound.
    If I bought B&W speakers, I expect it to sound like poo. Hence why, you have had yours for this long and you still can't get them to sound right. Which is also why you are tipping sideways to get the strads. Haha, insert smiley here.
    If I bought a watch/time piece. Take a guess.... A wild guess.. Regardless, if it is $10 or exponentially more expensive. It better keep track of time accurately.

Gold bars? I've invested since the early 90s. Hence my convictions of chocolate diamond and rose gold. Difference? Choco diamond is still that, poo. Rose gold. Now I admit, it is pretty. But as an investment? Hahahahahaha.

Halen

• Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    Rose Gold... Is this like the imperfect colored, dirty diamond? You know, the rejected diamond color so tainted and now re-marketed as the Chocolate Diamond? Rose Gold?

Interesting.
    Rose gold has copper mixed in to give the more reddish color.

Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • Joey_V
    Joey,

You are correct on many points. I will not argue that.

If I bought a sports car, I expect it to be fast.
    If I bought hand stitched shoes, belts, slacks, suits, I expect it to fit perfectly and last much longer.
    If I bought big speakers, I expect it to have big sound.
    If I bought B&W speakers, I expect it to sound like poo. Hence why, you have had yours for this long and you still can't get them to sound right. Which is also why you are tipping sideways to get the strads. Haha, insert smiley here.
    If I bought a watch/time piece. Take a guess.... A wild guess.. Regardless, if it is $10 or exponentially more expensive. It better keep track of time accurately.

Gold bars? I've invested since the early 90s. Hence my convictions of chocolate diamond and rose gold. Difference? Choco diamond is still that, poo. Rose gold. Now I admit, it is pretty. But as an investment? Hahahahahaha.

Halen

Hahhaa nice on the bw... But I like em as it is so hah! Strads or not, doesn't change my view on the diamonds my friend!

With regards to timepieces, you don't necessarily buy them for complete and utter accuracy. You buy them because you admire them. Watches, you buy them because they are a necessity and you need to keep track of time. I think that's the difference.

The thing is you harp on accuracy down to the last second, you want something to be as accurate chronologically as an atomic clock but at some point does it actually matter? Does it actually change your day to day actions provided you're not some supervisor who times laps at Laguna seca?

I'll take you through my watches for example. I wear 1 watch for 3 days straight and then switch. The accuracy of a Rolex has been my experience within 2-5 seconds at the end of an entire month. So in those 3 days, the accuracy difference from the atomic clock is negligible at best. I rotate watches and then I hand wind them and then I'm on the go for the next 3 or so days.

I notice no difference in the way my life is conducted because my timepiece is 1 or 5 seconds off after a month of use. What I do notice is that in the many years that I've owned these pieces, I haven't had to change a battery.

These timepieces are a celebration of human ingenuity and the ability to make something completely analog yet come close to a digital clock.

Basically what I'm trying to say is there is accurate and there is "accurate enough".

With fine pieces like what we are mostly mentioning in this thread from victorinox to Rolex, they are all "accurate enough".
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    I wear my fathers Omega Seafarer and think of my Father and Mother every morning I put it on. Other than that I never wear jewelry and never will especially a wedding band LMAO

God Bless America
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2015
  • Joey_V
    Now for another grail piece... A Richard Mille... I remember walking into a boutique in Beverly Hills and i felt out of place and somewhat ashamed to look like a bum off the street.

a1klw319kwk6.jpg
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Looks like it has a titanium case and bracelet. :)
  • Joey_V
    The Rafael Nadals wakel3c9iq49.jpg
    gghe1tylxnaz.jpg
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2015
    tumblr_m49g7wepCQ1rpjx8so1_1280.jpg
    Now this guy is nuts. A Richard Mille RM11 in gold and a steel Patek 5980. Both grails and near unobtanium pricing... must be a banker or financier or something. But wow. Droolworthy on both accounts.

Must be nice.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    He has on his wrists the value on some people's homes. Must be nice, yes. But it's all relative. Someone might think, must be nice to afford an $500 watch, someone else a 1k and so forth.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My latest "cheap" watch.

INVICTA-17948.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I guess it's the old-grump-with-no-taste-whatsoever in me, but 9 out of 10 of the watches posted in this thread are not attractive to me at all. I did like one Invicta about 12 pages back. Happy with a couple Fossils and one fewer objet d'O.C.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • ZLTFUL
    edited May 2015
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    I guess it's the old-grump-with-no-taste-whatsoever in me, but 9 out of 10 of the watches posted in this thread are not attractive to me at all. I did like one Invicta about 12 pages back. Happy with a couple Fossils and one fewer objet d'O.C.

Different strokes for different folks brother man. ;)

It's the wonderful thing about this world of ours. We can all like different things and no one usually judges us for it...unless it doesn't meet their crusader requirements to save us all from spending our own money! ;)

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    I see the Sea Spider with a bit of the Russian Diver, nice watch Zltful!
  • ZLTFUL

Thanks. I am surprised how much I like this one.

• vcwatkins
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks brother man. ;)

It's the wonderful thing about this world of ours. We can all like different things and no one usually judges us for it...unless it doesn't meet their crusader requirements to save us all from spending our own money! ;)

Absolutely, as in any fashion item. Hope I didn't come off as pissy or judgmental. I really did mean I generally have terrible taste and am thankful I don't want expensive watches (as the OCD in me usually requires), hehe. But if I did, it wouldn't be one of those like Nadal wears. :#:)
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • ZLTFUL
    You didn't come across that way at all my friend. B)

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2015
    Now for another grail piece... A Richard Mille... I remember walking into a boutique in Beverly Hills and i felt out of place and somewhat ashamed to look like a bum off the street.

a1klw319kwk6.jpg

Joey Joe Joe,

Aiyiyiyiyiyiyi..

You felt out of place walking into a Beverly Hills commonality place. You felt like a bum, completely, utterly, helpless bum. Ashamed. Tail between the legs. Looking like someone off the streets., which by your definition, everyone else not in the top couple percent looks like a bum to you. As you aptly defined yourself.

Do not mistaken successful people pointing out a bum as yourself, which in this case, I am just agreeing with what you stated.. Insert smiley here.

Halen

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

a1klw319kwk6.jpg

Joey Joe Joe,

Aiyiyiyiyiyiyi..

You felt out of place walking into a Beverly Hills commonality place. You felt like a bum, completely, utterly, helpless bum. Ashamed. Tail between the legs. Looking like someone off the streets., which by your definition, everyone else not in the top couple percent looks like a bum to you. As you aptly defined yourself.

Do not mistaken successful people pointing out a bum as yourself, which in this case, I am just agreeing with what you stated.. Insert smiley here.

Halen

LOL. And for something as irrelevant as a watch. Now feeling that way for a power cable; well that is an understandable emotion. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    My latest "cheap" watch.

INVICTA-17948.jpg

Nice man... what's the diameter size on that one? I like the crown, very different.
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2015

a1klw319kwk6.jpg

Joey Joe Joe,

Aiyiyiyiyiyiyi..

Halen

Hahaha.. yeah man I hear ya. BH isn't the place to be unless you're of that same BH mentality. Nice place to visit and "people watch" (no pun intended)... but a place I don't belong at.

Ah well, it was an experience to go into that boutique. Atleast I tried to put the watch on... hahaha... they told me I could look at the watch through the watch case outfront - I couldn't even try it on.. lol! Couldn't really say much since I knew I couldn't afford it anyway and I was just there for fun so I didn't waste the salesperson's time.

I did end up going to a different RM store later during my trip to LA and I got to try it on my wrist and it was a fantastic piece.... I can see why many like it.

But yeah, that RM store in BHills... I got snubbed the entire time! I think it was one of those times where they "profile" you the moment you step foot in a store... I think my wife found it appalling that I went in to try a watch and was denied.

I just found it funny rather than insulting actually.
  • Joey_V

Thanks. I am surprised how much I like this one.

Hey Z

How many watches you got man? Seems like more than you can count on 1 hand.
  • ZLTFUL
    With my latest rush on Invictas and Swatches, I am nearing 30 total. I have 2 more orders I am waiting on.

Then I am settling down for a bit. One day, I would like to have the same option in my garage as I do in my watch cases..."Which one should I wear today..." ;)

• Joey_V
    With my latest rush on Invictas and Swatches, I am nearing 30 total. I have 2 more orders I am waiting on.

Then I am settling down for a bit. One day, I would like to have the same option in my garage as I do in my watch cases..."Which one should I wear today..." ;)

30??

I only have 5... lol

Haha nice! Swatch? I like swatch

I just bought my baby one... I'll post it..

She has a swatch Flik Flak. The start to her collection. I must say she takes after her dad ... She enjoys her watch and she's only 1 year old!f2q94qj9itzg.jpg
    hkdyp0cz6n6u.jpg

• vcwatkins
    edited May 2015
    I liked @jflail2 's Brietling Super Ocean and @ZLTFUL 's Timex Expedition. I have a similar Timex that has temperature (air & water) and compass. Eeeeuseful. Nice looking to me and less than a hundred bucks. Bought on Amazon. Didn't have to deal with a condescending Personal Timepiece Consultant.

Is the Super Ocean more than $100? :)
  • ZLTFUL

30??

I only have 5... lol

Haha nice! Swatch? I like swatch

I just bought my baby one... I'll post it..

She has a swatch Flik Flak. The start to her collection. I must say she takes after her dad ... She enjoys her watch and she's only 1 year old!f2q94qj9itzg.jpg
    hkdyp0cz6n6u.jpg

Adorable kid and good on ya for corrupting her young! ;)

Don't let the big number fool you. Only a handful are investment pieces. the rest are simply inexpensive but good quality like Invicta, Timex, Citizen, etc.

• Joey_V
    I liked @jflail2 's Brietling Super Ocean and @ZLTFUL 's Timex Expedition. I have a similar Timex that has temperature (air & water) and compass. Eeeeuseful. Nice looking to me and less than a hundred bucks. Bought on Amazon. Didn't have to deal with a condescending Personal Timepiece Consultant.

Is the Super Ocean more than $100? :)

Breitling SO is atleast 3K.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Thanks VC! Yea, that was my first and to date only watch splurge. Back in 07ish I think it was about $2K or so. The simplicity is what appealed to me the most.

That and if I ever die at sea, I know my watch will keep on ticking, hah.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"