Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    tonyb wrote: »
    wouldn't that be a hoot if some Strads showed up on your B-day. One can dream eh ?

Hahaha... yah tony bruh

I already set that money aside in my bank account - I've already trained my brain to ignore the financial sting of the Strads. Everytime I look at my financials - I ignore 20K now... just so I can visualize life with the Straaaads

.... it's all up to me deciding on whether it's time to jump in the pool.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Oh man... I wish I could ignore 20k. :#

Seriously though, some beautiful watches in this thread covering all price ranges. Someday I hope to be able to move up the ladder to an investment piece. For now, I wear this every day... even when I shouldn't... but it's held up beautifully to all the abuse I can throw at it. And yeah, I can sympathize with the pain of the arm hair in the bracelet links... OUCH!

3ght5bec9cnk.jpg
    Vic.JPG 743.7K
  • Joey_V
    scubalab wrote: »

Seriously though, some beautiful watches in this thread covering all price ranges. Someday I hope to be able to move up the ladder to an investment piece. For now, I wear this every day... even when I shouldn't... but it's held up beautifully to all the abuse I can throw at it. And yeah, I can sympathize with the pain of the arm hair in the bracelet links... OUCH!

3ght5bec9cnk.jpg

Dude that's a nice victorinox! I remember scraping for cash to buy the victorinox dive master before bit I could never pull the trigger because it was out of budget
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Joey_V wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Ballers Ball'n! My bday is in a couple weeks and I told my wife I wanted sheetrock. She happily obliged. I can't even spell Rawlecks <--sp?

Wife told me no... that's not ballers ballin...

That's just ballers trying to be ballin but not... lol

I'm guessing it's cologne this year... maybe next year I'll get the super watch? lol

Nah, on a more serious note... it won't be probably till I'm 36-37 before I can pounce on something like this. It costs too much to just drop that kind of coin without getting some other things straightened up financially.

Either one works for me
    72bf9675.jpg
    Joey, that rose gold Rolex looks absolutely smashing. Looks like it's dripping in 18k.

• Polkie2009

3ght5bec9cnk.jpg
    Gorgeous Victorinox scubalab! Just the bezel alone is a work of art with the intricate details of machining and metal work. :)

• Joey_V
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Ballers Ball'n! My bday is in a couple weeks and I told my wife I wanted sheetrock. She happily obliged. I can't even spell Rawlecks <--sp?

Wife told me no... that's not ballers ballin...

That's just ballers trying to be ballin but not... lol

I'm guessing it's cologne this year... maybe next year I'll get the super watch? lol

Nah, on a more serious note... it won't be probably till I'm 36-37 before I can pounce on something like this. It costs too much to just drop that kind of coin without getting some other things straightened up financially.

Either one works for me
    72bf9675.jpg
    Joey, that rose gold Rolex looks absolutely smashing. Looks like it's dripping in 18k.

Yeah man... Just about the perfect Rolex watch for me. Dripping in 18k gold is right... All the way down to the screws. Every pin is gold. I came very close to trading 4 rolexes for that 1 rose gold piece....

0n4t7ha75n7a.jpg

yorbrynqf75l.jpg
  • Joey_V
    I still think about doing a trade... 4 of my rolexes for the 1 rose gold Rolex Daytona. That's the only way to make it not hurt. 38,000$ retail. Yikes
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited May 2015
    I currently have my daily wearer, a modest rosegold Guess, and a Joe Rodeo diamond (3.5 carats total on the bezel and half-band).

U15061G2-NC-ALT1.jpg~original

507689711_tp.jpg~original

Post edited by Glen B on
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Joey, go with the rose gold when you pull the trigger - it's awesome!

Glen, I'm more a silver fan, but that Guess is gorgeous.

Thanks all for the compliments on the Victorinox. For the price, it's a he11 of a watch. My favorite thing about it is the subtle blue tint of the sapphire crystal when the light catches it at the right angle.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    You guys would be the perfect people to ask this. What would be some good watch choices for someone that wants to spend under $500 on the used market. I have no problem buying a used watch, and if it's something that could possibly be fake, I could always meet them at a jewelers to have it checked out before purchasing. I sold all my watches because I never seem to wear one anymore, but kept my Omega Seamaster. It had a metal band and it came undone and took a HARD hit and no longer works now. Cracked the crystal, and the crown and second hand came loose. I was thinking of buying something else, rather than having it repaired, but have no idea what to look/search for.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I would skip used and head for your local Costco...
    They have a good range of watches from quality manufacturers...Invicta, Citizen, Omega, Tag Heuer...
    The $100-$500 price range will get you into one heck of a day to day watch.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Hermitism
    I was at Sam's Club a few weeks ago and they had some Omegas. I was just wanting to get the most out of my money, so I was think maybe used. I haven't looked at watches for many many years and just have no idea what's out there in certain price ranges. I like wearing rings and when you add a watch to that, it gets a little "blingy", so I rarely wear a watch anymore. Plus both of my ears are pierced, so I don't want to look like Liberace or Mr. T when I'm out on the prowl.
  • Polkie2009
    edited May 2015
    Hermitism wrote: »
    You guys would be the perfect people to ask this. What would be some good watch choices for someone that wants to spend under $500 on the used market. I have no problem buying a used watch, and if it's something that could possibly be fake, I could always meet them at a jewelers to have it checked out before purchasing. I sold all my watches because I never seem to wear one anymore, but kept my Omega Seamaster. It had a metal band and it came undone and took a HARD hit and no longer works now. Cracked the crystal, and the crown and second hand came loose. I was thinking of buying something else, rather than having it repaired, but have no idea what to look/search for.
    I'm so very sorry to hear about your watch getting damaged, sounds like it took a heck of a hit. I have one or two friends that have owned the Omega Seamaster , you have a very__ highly__ regarded watch there, see how much it would cost to repair it. Depending which model of Seamaster you have and on how many years of dependable and loyal service it provided for you, you'd have to decide if getting it fixed, (I would get a quote directly from Omega, to repair everything) is worth it. Don't be surprised if they come back with a quote of $1000.00,( I guess depends if the engine is to be replaced or just the crystal,dial hands or hand,cleaning ,new pins for bracelet etc... If the quote is around $500.00, I'd spend that to get the Seamaster fixed , like I said, the Seamaster is an exceptial timepiece, also I didn't realize they made so many different models of it. Any pics?
  • Polkie2009
    I was at Sam's Club a few weeks ago and they had some Omegas. I was just wanting to get the most out of my money, so I was think maybe used. I haven't looked at watches for many many years and just have no idea what's out there in certain price ranges. I like wearing rings and when you add a watch to that, it gets a little "blingy", so I rarely wear a watch anymore. Plus both of my ears are pierced, so I don't want to look like Liberace or Mr. T when I'm out on the prowl.
    Believe me, dames notice a sharp dressing guy with nice jewelry (not overly done) and who sports an attractive watch on their wrist.
  • Hermitism
    I was pretty sick over it. It happened a few years ago. I can't remember exactly what I was doing, but I swung my arm outward and the watch took off flying. I'm terrified of what the repair bill will be, which is why I thought I might start over with something else. I'm also afraid that the watch may be troublesome in the future after taking that hard of a hit.
  • Hermitism
    Believe me, dames notice a sharp dressing guy with nice jewelry (not overly done) and who sports an attractive watch on their wrist.

I have long hair and wear cowboy boots, so I already look pretty shady! My opening line is usually, "Don't be scared. I know I look like a criminal, but I'm a really nice guy."

• Polkie2009

Thanks all for the compliments on the Victorinox. For the price, it's a he11 of a watch. My favorite thing about it is the subtle blue tint of the sapphire crystal when the light catches it at the right angle.
    I'm telling ya' , that rose gold is kicking! Yes, it's those little subtle details on a watch that draws you in, like you said , the subtle blue tint of the sapphire crystal. Check out Joey's Rolex Milgauss, it has that subtle green tint of the crystal that looks awesome.

• Polkie2009

I have long hair and wear cowboy boots, so I already look pretty shady! My opening line is usually, "Don't be scared. I know I look like a criminal, but I'm a really nice guy."
    Lol, no worries, if you do some prowling in the country western clubs or wherever , most__ women appreciate a man with bling.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Herm, you can get some good bang for the buck on the used market but like you said, there is the concern of spending money on a knock-off.

But that brings up another can of worms as there are knock-offs and then there are homage watches. Completely different categories and homage watches can sometimes get into similar pricing to the models they are based off of.

Your best bet, shop around, find something you truly like and run with it.
    And don't worry about the image thing. With long hair and cowboy boots, nobody will ever mistake you for Liberace! ;)
    liberace.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2015

I think you're right.... I'm waiting for the ceramic bezel rose gold daytona in rose gold bracelet. I am betting when it comes out next year or so, it'll retail probably right at 40K. Barring any price increase, I'm probably looking at mid 30K cost to pick one up in a few years. It'll mark something very significant for me financially. It'll be on my wrist when I feel like I'm worth that piece of metal.

Right now, even though I can buy several multiples of those - I don't feel like I'm financially at the level to wear one legitly. There's a difference between looking like you've made it and ACTUALLY making it. Not there yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394

Got it. It's not the guy. Sage advice for that trophy wife.
  • [Deleted User]
    Rose Gold... Is this like the imperfect colored, dirty diamond? You know, the rejected diamond color so tainted and now re-marketed as the Chocolate Diamond? Rose Gold?

Interesting.
  • Hermitism
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Rose Gold... Is this like the imperfect colored, dirty diamond? You know, the rejected diamond color so tainted and now re-marketed as the Chocolate Diamond? Rose Gold?

Interesting.
    Metals have different crystal structures, different densities, etc., which means they have different time signatures. Yellow gold supposedly has a neutral or bright time, which makes it run a little fast. Rose gold has a warm time, which makes it run a little slower. You see, if you apply Dynamat to the inside of the watch, it will dampen the vibrations and make the mechanism run true, no matter what metal it is made of.
  • Joey_V
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Herm, you can get some good bang for the buck on the used market but like you said, there is the concern of spending money on a knock-off.

But that brings up another can of worms as there are knock-offs and then there are homage watches. Completely different categories and homage watches can sometimes get into similar pricing to the models they are based off of.

Your best bet, shop around, find something you truly like and run with it.
    And don't worry about the image thing. With long hair and cowboy boots, nobody will ever mistake you for Liberace! ;)
    liberace.jpg

Z... That Liberace look is hilarious.... Hahahha
  • Joey_V

Interesting.

It's not imperfect, it has a different alloy mix. Similar to rolex's white gold, it actually has platinum in it rather than a surface rhodium coating so no need to ever get it replated like you would with all your white gold engagement rings. The Rolex white gold is "white" through and through and we have cut through a solid white gold link to verify.

The rose gold mix is superb.

But I tho my he best rose gold mix is not rolex's... It is patek.

• Joey_V
    edited May 2015
    I would say that one of my dream watches would be this Patek Philipe.

The 5980 in either Rose Gold or pure Stainless. Freaking bad as heck when on the wrist.

If Statham wears one and he beats on the Rock in Furious 7, it must be a manly watch... lol...

Man, that is such a nice and unique watch.

I sincerely toyed with the idea of buying one, but sensibility hits me and tells me that I'm an idiot for buying one.

photo_5.jpg
    JS-Patek.jpg~original
  • Polkie2009
    I remember the Patek Philippe commercial years ago about the dad who was trying to make the decision whether to pass on to his son (graduating from university ?) his Patek Philippe watch or give him a new car , I think he ended up giving the lad keys to the car,lol. There's some really excellent videos on Youtube about passing a Patek Phillipe on to the son. That watch in the pic is bad a **!
  • [Deleted User]
    The world of timepieces. There is Patek and then there are watches. Hahaha.

I stab a stick in the ground. the shadow is still the most reliable time of all.

Halen
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2015

Interesting.

It's not imperfect, it has a different alloy mix. Similar to rolex's white gold, it actually has platinum in it rather than a surface rhodium coating so no need to ever get it replated like you would with all your white gold engagement rings. The Rolex white gold is "white" through and through and we have cut through a solid white gold link to verify.

The rose gold mix is superb.

But I tho my he best rose gold mix is not rolex's... It is patek.

There is no such thing as white gold, unless it was chemically treated. I have many platinum rings as well, I can't resell it for anything.

Rose gold? Show me where I could buy a Troy ounce of rose gold to invest and has more value than pure 99.99% gold. From this perspective,it is in fact imperfect.

I guess Rose Gold, when applied to watches makes it fancier, according to marketing.

All in all. You guys have nice watches, ahem, time pieces. It is about the craftsmanship, I will not deny that. But if anyone claim these automatic time pieces are incredibly accurate, I simply can't take you seriously.

Halen
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I thought all watches gave the same time. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.