Would you buy a speaker with a small flaw?

Options
2»

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    500 bucks over 18G purchase. When will you find another pair at that price? Don't wake up with regrets.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Yeah.. but I can't stop but think I might regret the sale of the 802...Seems like me and the guy are stalemate at 18500
    Wow, you seem like a tough one Joey. That persistence has obviously paved a way for you. If you end up with the Srads and the 802’s you are for sure doing something right! At work and at home!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • btown1985
    btown1985 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm all about the deal man.
    LSiM 705 and 706c, Def Tech Supercube I, Anthem AVM20 Processor, Oppo BDP-105D, Adcom GFA-5503, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M, Panamax Elite 15PFi
  • btown1985
    btown1985 Posts: 113
    Options
    If you can save why not?!
    LSiM 705 and 706c, Def Tech Supercube I, Anthem AVM20 Processor, Oppo BDP-105D, Adcom GFA-5503, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M, Panamax Elite 15PFi
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    Get them. Listen to them in your room and who knows, you might want to sale the 802's anyway. I know that if I had SF's I wouldn't need another speaker...
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Yep... These are gorgeous from all his emails to me. He is 18 years older than me but we went to the same alma mater so that helps me trust him.

Just want to be sure... Graphite or red original wood...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    We have made some progress.. we shall see.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • MetropolisLake
    Options
    As for the ding... are you going to listen to them, or take them to a speaker show? ;) I was expecting much worse.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I just don't want to have to ruminate for months each time I see it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Are my pics still sideways??
    And inside out
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options

Just think of all the money you saved. Bring a n a l is fine, but it has to be appropriate to the situation. That trivial blemish for saving $10k is not worth losing sleep over. Now if a driver were broken then that is worth losing sleep over.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Just think of all the money you saved. Bring a n a l is fine, but it has to be appropriate to the situation. That trivial blemish for saving $10k is not worth losing sleep over. Now if a driver were broken then that is worth losing sleep over.

yeah, but the blemish saves me exactly 1000. So I wonder if it's worth the trouble of me having to find someone local in the DFW area to possibly fix it (or screw it up even more) vs just buying something without a flaw.

Only issue is that I lose the graphite finish and go with the standard (but still super nice) red/orange.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    The pix with your kid was cute but isn't there a rule that states no cats, kids, candles, or watered plants anywhere near your precious audio gear. Razor ribbon I say. Your kid is already imprinted that your gear is a toy ..lol
    Good luck w/ both the 802s and the Stradi . Yes, if the sonics were not impacted and only 1 furniture related ding or gouge then I would make the deal.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thanks fellas.

Grey strads off the market, guy got cold feet and wanted to keep them.

Mike Bovaird from audioshark head honcho contacted me. He has a pair of dark red strads for sale as he is moving to SF Liliums. His friend from axpona has the orginal red strads for sale because his friend is trying to buy his (mikes) dark red strads.

So, 20 for 1y old original red strads from his friend.

Or 22.5k darker red strads from mike.

I'll post pics
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Mike Bovaird from audioshark head honcho contacted me. He has a pair of dark red strads for sale as he is moving to SF Liliums. His friend from axpona has the orginal red strads for sale because his friend is trying to buy his (mikes) dark red strads.

I bought my Magico S5s from him. He goes through gear like others go through beer.

He also is a dealer for some vendors, and I bought my Lumin S1 from his company, and at AudioShark you don't have to pay $25 a year to get deals.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Zero wrote: »
    OR you could just settle the eff down and allow yourself the opportunity to experience more systems. Just a thought.. :D

Bah! I say to you Sean... Bah!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I bought my Magico S5s from him. He goes through gear like others go through beer.

He also is a dealer for some vendors, and I bought my Lumin S1 from his company, and at AudioShark you don't have to pay $25 a year to get deals.

Yep I know. I talked to him on the phone. Second strads for him, he thinks this is a mistake going Liliums but who am I to argue? He has a phenomenal set up and room.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,875
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2015
    Options
    $89K speakers? I don't know man...even if I were wealthy I would still have to get the most for my money.
    Can pick up a set of Aida (in Graphite!) for $48K
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-sonus-faber-aida-2015-04-29-speakers-5000
    And a set of Magico Q5 for $36K
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-magico-q5-loudspeaker-reduced-2013-12-21-speakers-60076-skokie-il
    for about $5K cheaper...well, might take that much to ship the Aida? Still, two sets to roll

Its nice to dream sometimes...
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You guys are great at spending money....

lol
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    You could enjoy what you have for now and use the money on a nice down payment on something more like this:

2014-Nissan-GT-R-placement-2-626x382.jpg

I don't know what Merc you drive but the GT-R will do zero to sixty under 3 seconds.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You could enjoy what you have for now and use the money on a nice down payment on something more like this:

2014-Nissan-GT-R-placement-2-626x382.jpg

I don't know what Merc you drive but the GT-R will do zero to sixty under 3 seconds.
    Thought about the gtr... Could buy one right now but nah... I want that new r8. Problem is the wife talks sense into me.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Go test drive one, take your ID and leave your wallet at home. >:)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Go test drive one, take your ID and leave your wallet at home. >:)
    Hahaha wife will kill me.

I already came home with a quote for a brand new BMW M5 and it didn't go well.

I was like, "it's not too bad and the price is great!"

She was like "no"

It makes sense too, money is too easy to spend. Hard to earn.

Also tried it with a more family friendly car... I tried to see if an Benz ML63 AMG would fly but nope.

Also tried the super safe car route - MB S550 sedan... Told her why not lug the baby around in luxury and safety? Like a tank!

Nope.

So no new cars for 3 years for me.

Should've bought the M3 when I had a chance a couple years ago. But I decided to be more mature... Whatever that means

Or waited and stuck with my 2008 G37 manual coupe until this year and I bet I would've gotten clearance to do a slightly used R8 convertible or that Benz SLS with gullwing doors that I've been pining after at the dealership.

Oh wait... I have a baby now... Either would prob not fly as a daily driver
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I'm basically crazy anal about my gear. I don't like dust scratches or anyone touching.
    I would loose sleep over a scratch.
    I started the idea of selling my Dynaudio Audience 82's years ago because they didn't quite match each other anymore due to a Bay Window on the left side of the room which the Left channel speaker sat and got slightly discolored from the sunlight. I tried my best to keep the blinds closed or opened so the sunlight didn't hit the speaker directly. But I have a Wife and kids who would open the shades all the way and there was my Dyn's just baking in the sun. I got rid of them because of that even though I fell in love with the Mythos ST's in the mean time, I went looking due to the sun.
    Some probably wouldn't even really notice as it was slightly darker on that one side. They where Maple Finish.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    In the end, I didn't go for it because the discount was only $1k. If it were a scratch, I can handle it cuz I'm not super anal and I'm not looking for a "new" speaker at a used price... but that was a large ding and I wonder how the speaker did to get a ding like that. Did it fall??
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The ding wouldn't bother me so much Joey....if they were priced accordingly, which they appear to not be. Make him an offer, betcha he takes it.

People shopping for 20k speakers are going to be picky, he knows that and should be willing to adjust the price for the ding.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    The ding wouldn't bother me so much Joey....if they were priced accordingly, which they appear to not be. Make him an offer, betcha he takes it.

People shopping for 20k speakers are going to be picky, he knows that and should be willing to adjust the price for the ding.

I got something else in the pipeline. It's looking like a good chance that this next one is it . Fingers crossed as I'm about to use up the rest of the year's budget on audio.