Is it really FLAC?

Options
I ripped several CDs to my hard drive in FLAC format using Media Monkey. I have no problem playing them via DLNA on my AVR. When I display the file info on the AVR it says 160kbps. Does this make sense? I thought the bit rate should match what I see on MM which is considerably higher and varies by song.
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've ripped 100's of CD's with dbpower to FLAC. Running them out of my NAS to the Marantz it always displays FLAC 44.1KHz.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    Options
    Nope it doesn't make sense. But I also use dbpower to rip to FLAC and MM for file playback.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wonder if it is being converted on the fly?

Try putting a FLAC on a USB stick and playing it directly from the stick. Does it still say 160kbps?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Look for the "decoder" info not sampling rate.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess the first question should be, does the AVR support FLAC playback in native form? or does it down convert. Just as with some HighRES CDs, a downmix will play if your transport does not support the native format. But 160 Kbps is very low even lower than 320Kbps for Mp3.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    When I access the server the display on the AVR says MP3160kbps 16bit/44.1kHz. When I tried the USB port the display on the AVR said FLAC 842kbps 16bit/44.1kHz. I also found a footnote in the manual stating "in the case of server playback, the below-mentioned file formats may not be played depending on the server type".
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    So it looks like something is converting it on the fly before DLNA takes a hold of it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I had the same problem with jriver until I found the setting in jriver to play the native software.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant