Cleaning speakers

Jhayman
Jhayman Posts: 1,548
I use a lint free cloth to buff up the natural shine on some speakers or use natural orange oil to add some shine and smell.
But what do you use on the rubber surrounds to keep them soft and shiney?
ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Jhayman wrote: »

I've found that nothing works better here - and on the MW drivers - than ORIGINAL Windex. Just spray a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe in a circular motion. Not too much pressure and don't ding the dust caps.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    The only thing I do is wipe down the cabinet. The grills stay on all my speakers so they don't get dusty on the inside. Several year ago I took them off to clean them and it proved un-necessary to do so.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The only thing I do is wipe down the cabinet. The grills stay on all my speakers so they don't get dusty on the inside. Several year ago I took them off to clean them and it proved un-necessary to do so.

You would be shocked at how much dust gets inside those grills...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Original Windex on the drivers and surrounds. My tops have been stained then cleared so many times all it takes is a damp cloth and there's not a lot you can do to the fabric sides and grilles but some very light vacuuming.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    I use a lint free cloth to buff up the natural shine on some speakers

What type of finish are you referring to?
    or use natural orange oil to add some shine and smell.

Get yourself a bottle of mineral oil, add some mineral spirits along with some orange scent and you can make your own, but ask yourself, is that really something I want to put on my speakers/furniture? I know I don't.

I think the best advice is to do as little as possible. Clean the surrounds with original Windex if they look oxidized, but that's it.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    teekay0007 wrote: »

I've found that nothing works better here - and on the MW drivers - than ORIGINAL Windex. Just spray a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe in a circular motion. Not too much pressure and don't ding the dust caps.

What...your Greek ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2015
    cfrizz wrote: »

You would be shocked at how much dust gets inside those grills...

Maybe so on the new models but the grills on mine have a fairly tight seal. I have only cleaned them once in the 25 years that I have had them and that was only about 10 years ago and the cloth came away clean!

Now looking at the grills on my FXi3s there is probably dust galore on them since they are open on all sides of the speakers. But so longs as they still play that's fine with me.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    F1nut wrote: »
    I use a lint free cloth to buff up the natural shine on some speakers

What type of finish are you referring to?

On my Casta's they are finished with a clear coat so I just use a dry lint free cloth to rub of any finger prints and yo buff up the shine.
    or use natural orange oil to add some shine and smell.

Get yourself a bottle of mineral oil, add some mineral spirits along with some orange scent and you can make your own, but ask yourself, is that really something I want to put on my speakers/furniture? I know I don't.

I use Howard's Orange Oil Excellent reviews on finished and unfinished woods and Veneers.

I think the best advice is to do as little as possible. Clean the surrounds with original Windex if they look oxidized, but that's it.

Ok I'll try Original Windex I figured the Ammonium would be bad for rubber..

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • tonyb wrote: »

What...your Greek ?

Very funny movie

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    tonyb wrote: »

What...your Greek ?

Sorry...didn't catch the reference there, Tony. Little help?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »

What...your Greek ?

Sorry...didn't catch the reference there, Tony. Little help?

My big fat Greek wedding.....Windex cures everything. lol

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    On my Casta's they are finished with a clear coat so I just use a dry lint free cloth to rub of any finger prints and yo buff up the shine.

If it were me on the high gloss black I'd use a micro fiber cloth with a little water or Windex as a lubricant to help prevent fine scratches caused by dry cleaning.
    I use Howard's Orange Oil Excellent reviews on finished and unfinished woods and Veneers.

Here's the MSDS info on that product;
    ~Petroleum distillates, hydro treated heavy paraffinic 60-100 percent (that is mineral oil, a lot of it)
    ~Solvent naphtha (petroleum), heavy aliphatic 15-40 percent (I said mineral spirits, a close relative)
    ~Oils, orange, sweet 1-5 percent (does nothing but add scent)
    ~Methanone, (2-hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)phenyl- 0.1-1 percent (not sure what this is and didn't look it up)

So, like I said you can make the stuff yourself. Regardless, speaking as a professional, applying what is not much more than the mineral oil you can buy at the drug store is NOT something you want on your speakers or furniture. Excellent reviews? Sure, from people that bought the hype, have no idea what the stuff really is and don't realize what a waste of money it is.
    Ok I'll try Original Windex I figured the Ammonium would be bad for rubber..

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be good to use it all the time. I've cleaned the surrounds on my SDA's once since 1989. Might clean them again ten years from now, if they need it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2015
    Would something like this be bad for rubber surrounds?

A glycerin, aloe vera and coconut oil rubber conditioner
    http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Seal-soft-seal-Conditioner/dp/B003ANPY8C

When you live in a very dry climate, such as the mountains of CO, how can you preserve the surrounds?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    When you live in a very dry climate, such as the mountains of CO, how can you preserve the surrounds?

I'm not a rubber expert, so I can't answer that. I will say a good number of these Polk drivers are 30 years old and I don't recall anyone reporting issues with the surrounds.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2015
    F1nut wrote: »
    If it were me on the high gloss black I'd use a micro fiber cloth with a little water or Windex as a lubricant to help prevent fine scratches caused by dry cleaning.

I do exactly this, and works great. I also use orange oil on ebony side panels for a little shine. I don't use it for cherry, I use the windex/micro fiber method.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• In different brands of cars, flooring may differ in the type of material and pile. The coating often gets wet, especially during rains or snow. Cleaners suitable for one machine may not be suitable for others. Therefore, if it was not possible to remove the dirt the first time, you just need to apply an alternative method. Can you advise the best car carpet cleaner you have ever tried?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I use a belt sander to remove finger prints.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Willow wrote: »
    I use a belt sander to remove finger prints.

And a 12ga to kill mosquitoes? Have to admit, both would be very effective...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I wouldn't dare use the sander on the speakers I use it on people's fingertips.