iPhone 6

Options
Anyone else excited about the new phones from Apple? Ok, 'excited' is a bit much given that it's just a phone, but you get the idea...

I've actually had a chance to handle both models and I'm picking up the 'smaller' iPhone 6, going for the 64GB version. Both models are probably the two best smartphones I've ever held, at least in terms of feel and compared to the other larger phones out there.

The 'Plus' model is just way too big for me, would be great if I watched movies or was trying to have a single device serve phone and tablet needs AND had larger hands, but not ideal for me. With my smaller hands even the 4.7" is borderline too big, but after handling the phone for a while it'll work for me.

The two things that really sold me are the bigger screen and better camera. I still carry my Nikon D3 when I want to do real photography, but cell phone cameras have evolved to the point where they take decent photos. I can now go on vacation and not have to pack all my camera gear for every trip, although the Nikon will be making the trip to New Zealand with us next year. Everything else being equal, I'd actually upgrade every year just to get a better camera, but I'm not telling the cell phone companies that.

Apple Pay is fine in theory, but we don't really know how much it will be adopted, I'd love for it to be real but I'll believe it when I see it. Apple traditionally hasn't had a great deal of success when trying to work with lots of vendors at once.

They say the phone is faster, but I don't see how that's meaningful in reality, my 5s runs just fine with zero lag so doubt the extra speed will matter.

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    I'm not eligible for an upgrade until December, at which time it will probably be the 128gb Plus version for me. I'm actually looking forward to the rollout of OSX Yosemite and how much more integrated iOS8 will be with it.
    No excuses!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    NFC has been around for a while, Apple is just late to the game. You are right in that it has not taken off very much. Some Android and all Blackberry 10 use this feature but the vendors don't seem to be sold on it. Not yet at least, perhaps with so many Iphone users this might help.
    Another thing I noticed, late to the game, time laspe. I've been using this for almost a year on my Z30. Still no capability of adding more memory and no micro-HDMI out...come on Apple.
    I will say the new 6 is a nice looking phone, I just wish they woould really upgrade the phone and not just make minor improvements and sell it for 750.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    Options
    i pre-ordered iphone 6plus.....no ship date yet but will let everyone know how it is when i get it....

I don't care about NFC and will not use it....
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    NFC has been around for a while, Apple is just late to the game. You are right in that it has not taken off very much. Some Android and all Blackberry 10 use this feature but the vendors don't seem to be sold on it. Not yet at least, perhaps with so many Iphone users this might help.
    Another thing I noticed, late to the game, time laspe. I've been using this for almost a year on my Z30. Still no capability of adding more memory and no micro-HDMI out...come on Apple.
    I will say the new 6 is a nice looking phone, I just wish they woould really upgrade the phone and not just make minor improvements and sell it for 750.
    I really don't care about NFC, that's just a technology. Apple does not typically put tech in a phone just to check that box on some spec sheet, it needs to serve a purpose. I've had several Android phones with it and have never used it, ever. Google Wallet was a cool idea, but I don't recall ever being in a store that uses it, only time will tell if Apple Pay is any better. Given that Android phones rule the marketplace and have for some time now, Google Wallet should represent Silicon Valley's best attempt of that business, so that does not bode well for Apple Pay being a bit hit.

It all depends on how you look at it I guess. I consider this new phone to be a substantial upgrade (bigger screen, better screen, better battery, better camera, better widget support, and tons of new APIs for developers). People are actually gonna start to see more advantages as more developers get familiar with those APIs and start using them. IF you look at the whole software and hardware package, this is probably the most substantial upgrade we've had since Apple first opened app development to outside parties, the common user may not see it immediately but it's a huge upgrade.

Besides, this forum is FULL of people who would kill for minor yearly improvements in their audio rig :-)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I picked up my 64GB in silver this morning, the reviews are spot on, this is a fantastic device!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Besides, this forum is FULL of people who would kill for minor yearly improvements in their audio rig :-)

True, but that is something useful and important. A phone is nice and is useful, but will never be equal to a good stereo. :)

I am sitting on MD's Eastern Shore now typing this on my iPhone 5, and my two year contract is up this month, but the 5 is good enough. No reason to upgrade.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    Does anyone offer a discount on iPhones anymore. I have a 4 and 4S that I have waited for the larger models to appear and AT&T wants $650-$750 upfront without a contract or the same amount paid out over time and this is with a qualified upgrade. There are no longer any $200-$300 options available. This is not exclusive to Apple brands as the Android models are priced similar. What gives?

In a world where everything gets cheaper and faster with each model, internet service and smartphones seem to be the exception. Am I missing something?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I'm not sure who you talked to, but at least here in Texas AT&T does still offer the traditional 2 yr contracts, which sounds like what you're after
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I'm not sure who you talked to, but at least here in Texas AT&T does still offer the traditional 2 yr contracts, which sounds like what you're after

I just looked at the options on my AT&T app and didn't see any other possibilities. I will check for certain and the local store to make sure.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Wife and daughter use iphones. So they'll upgrade soon. Me, I'm TOO CHEAP to CARE. SO I have a cheap A_S track-phone I pay a little over $100 a year for and the phone itself, at over four years old, cost almost nothing.

It does the JOB. If I need mobile access I'll use my CHEAP android tablet ($80). Or my Lenovo laptop. What can I say, I HATE FEES! I really HATE them! And I'm an academic so I'm always near a HOTSPOT...office or home--why pay!

Enjoy the excitement! It will pass and a new OS and phone will be available "soon" enought? I like Tech gadgets as much as anyone else, but I hate to PAY extra for them and their "services". I'm an open source, "free" man!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    Preordered with AT&T and waiting on a ship date.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Wife and daughter use iphones. So they'll upgrade soon. Me, I'm TOO CHEAP to CARE. SO I have a cheap A_S track-phone I pay a little over $100 a year for and the phone itself, at over four years old, cost almost nothing.

It does the JOB. If I need mobile access I'll use my CHEAP android tablet ($80). Or my Lenovo laptop. What can I say, I HATE FEES! I really HATE them! And I'm an academic so I'm always near a HOTSPOT...office or home--why pay!

Enjoy the excitement! It will pass and a new OS and phone will be available "soon" enought? I like Tech gadgets as much as anyone else, but I hate to PAY extra for them and their "services". I'm an open source, "free" man!

cnh
    If you're really that cheap then the audio hobby is probably not the best choice....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I picked up my 64GB in silver this morning, the reviews are spot on, this is a fantastic device!

Danny, does that mean the 5S will be sold soon? haha. Let me know.

As a person that thrives on software development, I too, also believe that it will be huge. From the end user perspective and the expectancies for innovation, this is just a tip of the ice burg. API's are your best friends. I have been messing around with xCode/Objective C for some time but not as serious as I have been lately.

The beauty of developing mobile for a single piece of hardware has its advantages. Whereas building apps across multiple devices, that require skills. Not to take anything away from "it just works", but it is one hardware.

My assessment agrees with yours with the uniformity and the potential. Groovy on Java, Ruby on Rails, Design Patterns, SOLID, etc.. The only thing that kills me is Java AWT heavy weight on mobile versus Swing. It requires a bad **** android developer to do what lightweights could do on iOS. And the bad **** iOS developers, they are leagues above. My latest love is Xamarin for C#. Code once and debug everywhere. haha.

Back to xCode. One hardware, one software. That is the only advantage. It works and works very well. iOS is doing what Android did years ago but Android did it across hardware and did the best it could. With that said. Android is fun and packed with features (like Samsung) but does not work as well as iOS.

Halen
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Anyone else excited about the new phones from Apple?

Nope, I could give a rat's a s s.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Same here Jesse. Still using an iphone 3G! Haha!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options

F1nut wrote: »

Why am I not surprised :-)

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    Options
    [/quote]
    If you're really that cheap then the audio hobby is probably not the best choice....
    [/quote]

lol! There is some truth there. But also a BIG difference. I do not believe that I have EVER paid MSRP for ANY audio I own. And then there is the "used" market where you are NOT captive to APPLE pricing and the restless engine of "modernity".

You can enjoy one heck of a system for the price of a couple of new iphones and their absurd contracts, I believe.

You can buy a heck of a laptop for even less? Plus some of us do not have infinite reserves of "disposable" income. I have a 17 year old who will probably cost me at least $150K if not twice that in college expenses. So I might want to stick with the old track phone. I also explained that I lack "nothing" in not having a super smart phone because it is totally unnecessary in my line of work. I have over a thousand books and articles in my office, am less than a block from a library with 100s of thousands of resources. Have wireless access anywhere on campus and in my office. Can tap ANY University library in the U.S. and abroad for materials. And anyone who needs to reach me can email me or leave a text on the cheap phone. I live one mile from work so no big gap from internet access there to the house. And so on.

Nonetheless we do have two iphones in the house that I've never had the desire to use.

Everybody splurges on something. You just have to choose your poison.

cnh

Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    lol! There is some truth there. But also a BIG difference. I do not believe that I have EVER paid MSRP for ANY audio I own.
    I completely agree there's a big difference, they're both luxury items but you could at least make the case that the smartphone is useful and maybe even critical to a much larger number of people. I love audio, but you can't convince me that anyone NEEDS a high end 2 channel system.

You could make the argument that nobody needs a smartphone, the same way that you could argue that nobody needs a car or a microwave. It's a modern convenience that can make things easier, but can also make things worse...just like cars and microwaves.

I'm not picking on your post, but since you used this thread to elaborate on your stance regarding cell phones I used your posts to do the same. Had you made an off-the-cuff one-liner like Jesse my response would be similar to how I responded to him, but given the length of your posts it seems like something you have strong feelings about and I'm the same so thought an equal response was appropriate. So the next paragraph is not directed at you but it gives me a chance to rant about something I do see here and on other forums a lot...

The bigger issue I have is when people can't comprehend or ridicule people who always want the latest and greatest smartphone or technology, especially on a forum like this that exists because of an entire industry created by people buying superfluous luxury items they don't need. That's in effect saying 'what I like is more important than what you like and my values are therefore better than yours'. I don't have the expectation that smartphones matter to everyone, I just kinda figured that most of those folks wouldn't bother clicking into threads like this. We all like what we like, it's the negativity that often gets brought into threads that gets old.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Well, I had the opportunity to lay hands on a 6 Plus today, wowzers nice device! Love the screen size, but of course zip for saleable stock. But definitely the next upgrade in a month or so when stock stabilizes up here, the thing literally made my iPhone 5 look like a shrimp.

I like shrimp! :)

However, as soon as the dust settles and I'm eligible for an upgrade, the 6 Plus with 128 GB is on the horizon for me. I think that is about December of this year.

I have big fingers. I have trouble seeing small print. I like to load up my phone with AIFF files to which I listen with my Polk noise-cancelling ear buds.

Now, persuading my wife that I really need an upgrade is a bit dodgy! :\
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    One very nice feature on the new phones is the ability to scale the display - you can either go with a standard view where icons and fonts are the same size as on the smaller phones but with more on the screen, or you can do a zoomed view where you're getting the same content of the smaller screen but blown up to fit the bigger screen on the 6 but in a way that looks nice and retains the sharpness of the screen. You also have a finer level of control over the text size, so you can combine that with the display modes above to get the phone looking exactly how you want.
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    Options
    Picked up my 6 today and its a nice device. For a light user, the biggest change is the size. It's significantly bigger than the 5 I previously had. Any larger though, and one-handed use will become really challenging, at least for me.

Great build quality, pretty much everything I'd expect from Apple. Personally, though, I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns from a mobile device. There isn't much new or different that I'd do with this phone that I haven't with my previous devices.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    It still makes a phone call right ? Sends a text every now and then ? Lets you look something up on google ?

If so, then I certainly have no desire to hand Apple 700 bucks of my money for something I already have.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    It still makes a phone call right ? Sends a text every now and then ? Lets you look something up on google ?

If so, then I certainly have no desire to hand Apple 700 bucks of my money for something I already have.

It all depends on what you really need a device to do. Me, I use it for 4 email accounts (2 personal, 1 work and 1 photography business). I centralize my calendar using iCal. I use iPhoto to keep my photography portfolio handy and synced across my devices. There's an app that I can enter in my time and expenses for work. The team I work with, we keep in touch after hours using a chat app called GroupMe. The list goes on.

Some are fine with a 10 year old flip phone and some use the latest and greatest.
    No excuses!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Business users I can understand the need for it, or if your into photography, but everyday use...nah. Kinda like buying a Ferrari for the occasional trip to the store for a loaf of bread.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have my little sisters hand me down Iphone 4 and its all I need, but she has to keep upgrading for some silly reason or just because she wants too, as shes a Apple fan boy big time. To each their own I quess, but I'll spend my dime on some more music.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    Options
    even though I pre-ordered 6plus, I have 5 line on my account that i can transfer the upgrades. I had two upgrades that I could transfer to mine at the time of ordering 6plus.....I always have one upgrade available in case someone loses/breaks the phone

So i had gotten iphone 4S for 99cents year ago, then I traded the 4S (gave me $200 credit) for 5S with another upgrade transfer and had to pay tax and upgrade fee....

then I sold the 5S for $400 and will be buying 6plus 16G ($299) with another upgrade and $50 left over (gave the money to my wife already)...I am paying $130 a month for 5 lines with one data plan (4 basic plan and 1 data plan)....

I am saying, there are ways you can do it....besides I would never pay the full retail price
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    Options
    I gotta go touch it feel it and see how these bigger screens pan out. I think the 6 is going to be the one unless the 6 plus is where it's at.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    My local Apple rep told me the plus was outselling the 6, three to one.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    My local Apple rep told me the plus was outselling the 6, three to one.

Isn't is odd that for the first 15 years of cell phones it was all about how each time you got a new one it was smaller than the last, and now we have reversed that thought process. I'm waiting for the iPhone 8XL++ that is bigger than the first bag phone I had in 1990.

• Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I saw a news report this afternoon that claimed the 6plus would single handedly end the skinny jean fad and cargo pants with phone side pockets could make a comeback.