iPhone 6

Options

Comments

• ken brydson
    Options
    I saw a news report this afternoon that claimed the 6plus would single handedly end the skinny jean fad and cargo pants with phone side pockets could make a comeback.

PFB is very sad by this news....

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I'll try and post up some pics later, but the camera on the iPhone 6 is fantastic! I can easily find photos that my high end Nikon does a much better job with, but for 95% of the casual photos I take (so where I'm not doing pro photography) the iPhone 6 camera produces just as good an image, albeit without the ultra resolution that my Nikons have.
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I picked up the Iphone 6 16gb last night. I think the plus is too big for me and as an android user I think of it like choosing between galaxy S vs note. So far i'm happy with the iphone I would have preferred the 64GB but the Apple Store had an hour wait and they were about to close. I picked it up at Best Buy mobile. I mostly do spotify these days and photos I can just send to my google drive. Now I need to find a case.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I tested out lots of cases, generally I'm not a fan of cases and have not used one in several years but I'm using one now until the larger size starts to feel more natural. Best Buy has an Insignia clear case for $15 that I picked up and works well, it's a great choice if you like the look of the phone and don't want to hide it.
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Nice I'll check that one out today. I wish I could get away without a case but I've dropped my phone too many times throughout the years. Luckily cases have always held up so far. I do like the idea of something transparent and definitely like the thinner cases.

I bought the Magpul field case for my wife's iphone 5s which I like and might go with that one later when they release it. But going to grab something to get me by until then and if I like the insignia enough will just stick with that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• ambiophonics
    Options
    Spigen has some great cases too, I use the "neo hybrid" but they have a bunch of very nice cases that compliment the iPhone.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    All of you guys upgrading makes me get the itch, I think I'll scratch it in November with a Nexus 6... :smile:
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I upgraded this past Sunday from a galaxy S3 to a HTC One m8. The build quality is astonishing, at least as good as anything I have seen from Apple and I love that it has a built in fm radio (it actually sounds good too). In addition it has a media output feature that converts all of my phone's audio to 16/44 pcm and sends it to my Avr via dnla. I can now stream spotify to my rx-a1010 wirelessly, bonus. I almost ordered the iPhone 6 but I was really blown away with the HTC.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Looks like the Iphone6 plus has a potential issue of being bent while in your pocket.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/23/video-demonstrates-reported-iphone-6-plus-bending-issues
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The HTC One does have more volume of sound than any other phone I've heard. I keep waiting for some model to up the ante with Bose Wave technology.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Yeah the HTC One is a fantastic phone and my favorite Android model on the market, has been for the last two models. I have the M7 model here that I use to play with Android development.

The biggest problem with those phones is the camera, they're great in low light but just don't have enough resolution to create photos that are really usable. I'm not a megapixel **** and don't think phones need 16MP and up, but we need more than 4. I think Apple has a good compromise at 8MP with large pixels and good optics. The ability to adjust DoF after the fact on the newer HTC is nice, but isn't really consistent enough to be relied upon.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Looks like the Iphone6 plus has a potential issue of being bent while in your pocket.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/23/video-demonstrates-reported-iphone-6-plus-bending-issues
    I'll be curious to see how this all plays out. I tested the Plus in store for that very thing and it felt very solid to me, I'm not particularly strong but wasn't able to bend it at all while in store. It can obviously be bent as seen in the video, but it's hard to see how that can happen inside a pocket.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I am seriously thinking about selling iphone 6 plus when I get it....i always put the phone in the front pockets and worry that i could bend the phone...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    devani wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking about selling iphone 6 plus when I get it....i always put the phone in the front pockets and worry that i could bend the phone...

I would imagine a hard case would go along way in solving this issue.

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options

I would have thought this would be a no brainer, bigger is better that's why they made a Samsung equal, they were losing to much business to Samsung just on phone size alone..
    It's just to bad they always wait and wait all the while taking money for smaller phones knowing full well they will make a bigger one..milk what you can I guess..
    I own a 5s and iPad 3 to me the 5s is just a phone, they are all just phones that do a little more stuff.
    But I could really care less if a new iPhone gets released..
    I only got the 5s a few weeks ago because it was cheaper than the Samsung on a 2 year contract.
    My local Apple rep told me the plus was outselling the 6, three to one.

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    I got my 6 plus today and it is pretty big. I appreciate the additional screen real estate though. I had a chance to toy around with both and the plus won for me. It is a tad bigger than I expected ,but plenty to read on, games, etc. It really is the sweet spot, meaning I won't be needing the Ipad.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Just purchased the IPhone 6 +. @ Target with a new two year deal w Verizon. I saw today on the Verizon webpage. $200 off the price of any ipad w the purchase of any new iPhone w two year contract. Looking for a good protective case for new phone now. Spigen or Otterbox. Looking for one local so I can have peace of mind protection as soon as possible. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Dropped my Droid Razr Maxx while traveling for work, shattered the screen, and just got the replacement up and running yesterday. I have to say, I can't see anything in the iphone 6 release that would make me "upgrade" (AKA, sign up for another 2 year contract) from my Razr to the iphone.

Apple Pay is interesting, but I don't use Google's app, so I don't see me using that either. I dunno........there just doesn't appear to be any reason to upgrade at this point unless it's just to have the latest and greatest iphone. But I'm not "baked in" to the Apple network either (itunes, cloud, etc.), so YMMV.

For cases, I finally broke down and purchased my first case for a phone when I got my replacement. I found an Otterbox on Amazon for my phone for $15 shipped. I've only used it 1/2 a day so far, but am pleased with the sturdiness/ overall feel of it. It hasn't made my phone excessively large in my pocket, which is something I was trying to avoid.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Long story, I may be snagging a 6 Plus......

Short version, everyone on our plan (wife, father in law, mother in law) wanted a new phone and somehow (still dont get it) by moving from our family plan to the Verizon Edge plan for all 4 of the phones, we save money.... but we all have to give up our phones, so my HTC one is going back, though I coulda picked up another one if I wanted, but thought I'd see whats out there.

My wife & mother in law have iPhone 6's (64 & 32 gig) incoming and my father in law got an LG of sorts...

I was looking at the Samsung S5, Samsung Note 4 (not out till 10/17) and the 6 and 6+.

The Samsungs have better displays, as much memory, and are Android. I really wanted them to win. But no real integration with my cars stereo which was something I was really wanting this time around.

The 6's will work in my car (with a 20 pin to lightning adapter) so I can use the stereo buttons to browse my music, have enough storage space for most of my music, mediamonkey can be used to sync instead of iTunes, and its screen while not as high resolution is very nice...

Only thing is my car uses the older 30 pin DIN connector so it wont charge, but Ryan pointed out one that takes the 12v pin and makes is 5v so that should allow my car to charge the 6 or 6+ but I have to double up on adapters, and if I get a lifeproof case (when they come out) might even have 3 adapters lol....

I think apples won, and the 6+ works for me size wise....

I can't look at myself in the mirror right now.... :disappointed:

Dont hate me @codyc1ark‌....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Options
    Got a 6 through work today - very nice, but have not played with it much yet.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    @Enders...

There is no 32GB version of the 6 or 6+, may want to make sure they've ordered the phone they intended.

Also, the debate over which screen is better is just that, a debate.

The facts are that the Samsung screens have more resolution and therefore a higher PPI and they have better blacks and use less power. I personally can't see the higher resolution on a screen the size of a phone, but do notice the better blacks. The iPhone screens work better in sunlight so if you're outdoors a lot that's something to consider. Those are the facts, where things get more subjective are color representation. The Samsung displays have more color saturation and really 'pop' out at you, the Apple displays have a more natural color balance. It's like arguing between LED and Plasma TVs, all comes down to personal preference.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @Enders...

There is no 32GB version of the 6 or 6+, may want to make sure they've ordered the phone they intended.

Also, the debate over which screen is better is just that, a debate.

The facts are that the Samsung screens have more resolution and therefore a higher PPI and they have better blacks and use less power. I personally can't see the higher resolution on a screen the size of a phone, but do notice the better blacks. The iPhone screens work better in sunlight so if you're outdoors a lot that's something to consider. Those are the facts, where things get more subjective are color representation. The Samsung displays have more color saturation and really 'pop' out at you, the Apple displays have a more natural color balance. It's like arguing between LED and Plasma TVs, all comes down to personal preference.

Thanks, my wife ordered em both so I am sure I just misspoke lol....

No worries I got an order for the 128 6 Plus going, it works with my car stereo which is a huge win for me.

The rest is a trade off in one way or another between Samsung and iPhone...

Have to relearn it as I haven't had once since my iPhone 4 which didnt have Siri or any of those fun things...

Oh well, its always something...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Apple Pay is interesting, but I don't use Google's app, so I don't see me using that either.
    I'm curious how much it'll take off. It's a Catch 22 really, in order for a service like this to really take off it kinda needs to be universally accepted, and yet the only way it gets universally accepted is if people use it.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    The bigger issue I have is when people can't comprehend or ridicule people who always want the latest and greatest smartphone or technology, especially on a forum like this that exists because of an entire industry created by people buying superfluous luxury items they don't need. That's in effect saying 'what I like is more important than what you like and my values are therefore better than yours'. I don't have the expectation that smartphones matter to everyone, I just kinda figured that most of those folks wouldn't bother clicking into threads like this. We all like what we like, it's the negativity that often gets brought into threads that gets old.

Well, you could say that to a person that constantly upgrades their system. But to me, while I appreciate the latest and greatest from technology, I'm not so eager to be waiting in line at the Apple store the second a new iPhone comes out. I do think that's funny. But comparing it to audio, while I dabble more on the car side of things, I don't buy a new radio every year because it has better technology either.

Just food for thought :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I tested out lots of cases, generally I'm not a fan of cases and have not used one in several years but I'm using one now until the larger size starts to feel more natural. Best Buy has an Insignia clear case for $15 that I picked up and works well, it's a great choice if you like the look of the phone and don't want to hide it.

I'm with you on this. I have a bumper case for my nexus. Adds essentially no bulk to my phone, but protects it. My iphone 5s is a work phone, so i have the otterbox commuter case for it. I hate how bulky it makes it, but better than having a broken phone.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    Apple Pay is interesting, but I don't use Google's app, so I don't see me using that either.
    I'm curious how much it'll take off. It's a Catch 22 really, in order for a service like this to really take off it kinda needs to be universally accepted, and yet the only way it gets universally accepted is if people use it.

PNC just sent me an email to notify me that my debit card will work with the Apple Pay and to convince me that its a secure way to make purchases. I haven't clicked on the link year because I will not be getting my 6+ until November.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    That is exactly who I'm saying that to, people who constantly upgrade their system, which includes a lot of people on this site. I've spent WAY more money and time on audio than I have on smartphones...

Note that I'm not saying people should want the latest iPhone, or any phone for that matter. I don't have any expectation that everybody else likes what I like or places the same importance on the same things I do. In fact that's what I'm ranting against, people that expect everyone else to have the same values as them and then mocking them when they don't.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

PNC just sent me an email to notify me that my debit card will work with the Apple Pay and to convince me that its a secure way to make purchases. I haven't clicked on the link year because I will not be getting my 6+ until November.

Assimilated hit the nail on the head. And that's interesting xsmi. I'm wondering how many banks Apple worked with in that capacity prior to rolling this out. I admit it would be nice to not have to carry anything in my back pocket beyond my drivers license and my CCW permit...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

Assimilated hit the nail on the head. And that's interesting xsmi. I'm wondering how many banks Apple worked with in that capacity prior to rolling this out. I admit it would be nice to not have to carry anything in my back pocket beyond my drivers license and my CCW permit...

Hopefully all of that will one day be in the same place digitally. except for the CW.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.