Which format do you want?

Comments

• Quoted For Truth.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Someone suggested that I would get use to this format. Rest assured, I am not getting use to it, I hate it more than ever. It's not intuitive, it's clunky, it hurts the eyes, it looks like a 2 year designed it and it's missing a lot of the features we use to have. In fact, there's more here that doesn't work than the old vBulletin. It's so bad that I find myself less and less inclined to come here. What bothers me the most is I know I am missing threads from people wanting help.

That we have 149 votes with 88% in favor of vBulletn speaks volumes. Polk you screwed up, it happens, but it's time to admit it and go back to vBulletin.

The forums needed a little evolution and instead we got a revolution that didn't work.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Hi Mark,
    Our contact at Vanilla is really great, she has answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly. To answer your question, a "new" discussion is any new discussion that has been posted in since the person last checked the forum. While "recent" discussions are not linked to when someone has seen them last,
    they're just there because they've been posted in recently.
    But, you have found that you get the "new" indicator on posts that you've not looked at, correct?
    Ken
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    correct - but not always (i.e., not all "new threads" are flagged as new, nor are all threads with "new posts".

If there is a pattern, I've not discerned it... but, then again, I am not the brightest segment in the display! ; - )
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Hi Mark,
    Our contact at Vanilla is really great, she has answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly.

Then why do we still have this horrible red font?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hello,
    As I understand it the color scheme is designed to coordinate with what the rest of the complete new web site is going to have. The red and black colors of Polk's logo are reflected in the forum's colors.
    I use a Mac and the red seems fine, so maybe I'm not seeing the "horrible" part?
    Is it over-saturated? Describe what the color's problems are?
    Ken
  • mhardy6647
    It's a perfectly ordinary red -- not any more or less horrible than any other reasonably reddish red, I'd opine...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Describe what the color's problems are?

It's RED. Red is a harsh color against a white background, and probably any other background. In our society, red is used to signify danger. It stands out. It isn't a pleasant color for the eyes.

And what the heck does the logo color have to do with anything?

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2014
    If you want to understand what red font does to your brain, hit the recent discussion tab so that you have a large area of threads in the main area and the smaller control tab area on the right. The red font on the main area is so bright and overpowering that it makes the white background look pink. Compare this to the smaller column on the right that has black fonts and you can easily see the differences side by side.

This is what most are complaining about and you can see how this would cause eyestrain. It is really only an issue when all the fonts are red. It washes the page pink. The read font on an actual thread is reduced to names and tag headers, so it isn't too bad when reading large paragraphs or posts. It is the main thread page that is an issue.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Hello,
    Okay, I think I understand the complaint and I'll pass it along. I have to say, I don't experience the same problem on both my computers. Nothing strains my eyes and I bet I read the forum for more accumulated time than anyone else. No background turns pink when I look at the main categories page, everything stays the correct colors. No eyestrain at all.
    Keep in mind, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you're seeing what you see, but it's not that way for me. You see distortion, I don't.
    Ken
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2014
    It doesn't happen for me on the "Home" page that has the main categories either due to the black font subtitles that help break it up. It is the most evident on the page that pops up after you hit "recent discussions". The predominance of red on this page is overwhelming.

For those just hanging out on the forums looking for the latest posts, this gets used as their homepage of the forum. That is how I use most forums that I visit.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mhardy6647
    Keep in mind, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you're seeing what you see, but it's not that way for me. You see distortion, I don't.
    Ken

substitute "hear" for "see", and this could come from any of ten million "audiophile" threads on the internet...

; - )

• Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2014
    I think the other comment for PC users about having a widescreen option is valid too. With a widescreen option, when you zoom a page (control/scroll wheel) in Windows, the font actually decreases in size allowing for more thread title length to be seen. This makes the page very legible. In this current format, when you utilize the zoom feature, the font just gets increased with the page size and looks like a primary reading book from preschool. Titles remain the same length since we can't control column size as in vB.

Using the zoom in widescreen allowed full titles of threads to fit on one line and thus gave you more thread titles to be viewed at a glance without needing to scroll. In vB I can see 20 threads at a glance, in this format, zoomed out, I see 7. You can see how this would make a difference for those that lounge around on forums watching for updates.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I cant seem to attach multiple pictures they keep going away after I add the first one, it worked for me a while back. I also have issues with an I phone or I pod the screen flickers when scrolling up or down it takes several minutes to stop it seems to want to keep scrolling, it could be me but works fine on a Kindle Fire HD and my Samsung S4 no problems on laptop or Pc except today it wont let me add multiple pictures in a post.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I liked the way the thread titles used to be bold, showing there is something new since last time you visited the site.

Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mhardy6647
    madmax wrote: »
    I liked the way the thread titles used to be bold, showing there is something new since last time you visited the site.

Yes, indeed -- that would be a nice 'retrofit' to this forum s/w, if it were possible!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I think most everyone has a wide screen monitor these days so why not take advantage of it - > feels like watching a 4:3 movie on a 16:9 screen just seems a waste.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • I think most complaints about the new format or appearance are legitimate. Selecting colors for a site can be a tricky business and you should apply some color theory when making choices. A good site is webdesign.about.com/od/color/a/aa072604.htm. I think after reading that you would concur that this bright red is not the best choice for a font color. If Polk wants to keep the red, complimentary colors on a website should be blue and yellow. Those colors are there on the main page in subdued formats. I have tried to give some examples with using the blue and yellow below.

I did some manipulating with a page from this discussion. After saving the page to my hard drive and doing some simple stylesheet changes, you can see that things can improve with little effort.
    • I made the site able to resize for widescreen
    • Changed the font colors and styles
    • Added background to the breadcrumbs so they are easily visible
    • Changed fonts on the right navigation to not all be bold making it easier to read.
    • Changed the background color to a muted yellow with a different opacity.
    Not everyone may like what I did for this example, but you can see what can be done easily to make this site a little more appealing. Again, all these changes were made easily by style sheet changes, not one edit to the HTML itself. Why these things that users have been asking to be done have not is beyond me.

Blue Font, Not Widescreen
    4i0hvl9heeis.jpg
    Widescreen resized
    hfyz6nhkmx1u.jpg
    Changed the text to a dark red instead of the blue above.
    nfd8slcf5afz.jpg

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • "GospelTruth" while your re-work is an improvement, it doesn't touch the many other basic problems.
  • I was not trying to fix all the problems that are involved in this new site. I'm just showing that some things that are relatively simple to fix are not even being done. What I did took more time to save the page and take screen shots than it did to actually make the changes to the stylesheet for some font colors and aesthetics some here find annoying. And while not all the functions are easy to figure out, what a person sees upon arriving at this site says volumes in my book. You can't just a book by it's cover, but most do. Same things for a website. Most people will judge it by first glance and see if it even looks professional or not. What I was showing was how simple it is to fix some of this visual issues that have not been tackled. That is all.

Hopefully everything gets addressed at some point. I come here now and can tell that there are not as many people contributing as there were before this upgrade. That I find, is a shame.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • WOW this new forum blows. Looks like alot of good info lost! all links are broken WTF? Im out! Thanks Polk
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited September 2014
    BYE BYE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Randy/Maine
  • sprite wrote: »
    WOW this new forum blows. Looks like alot of good info lost! all links are broken WTF? Im out! Thanks Polk

After 1 post ? Buh bye now.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    sprite wrote: »
    WOW this new forum blows. Looks like alot of good info lost! all links are broken WTF? Im out! Thanks Polk

As he/she states with his/her fist post.........
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Out with one post under your belt see ya:'( you Will be missed. ( NOT)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484

After 1 post ? Buh bye now.

Beat me to it Ken. The premise remains though.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,712
    I'm not surprised that a new member would react that way. I said it before, if I was a new member, first time visit, I wouldn't come back to this disaster either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I've become acclimated somewhat. I realize changes have been made, some obvious, some under the skin, due to feedback, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
    Put another way, you can put lipstick and a party dress on a pig, but it's still a pig.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,838

Says the guy with one post. I'm guessing we won't miss you..

• Toolfan66 wrote: »

Says the guy with one post. I'm guessing we won't miss you..

Too funny!!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    WOW...this new forum blows. Looks like a lot of good info lost! all links are broken WTF? I'm out! Thanks Polk

There...I have a bunch of posts and share the sentiment. Does it make it any less true?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip