Interesting conversation with a sales guy at Polk, or not

Options
gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
I had an interesting conversation with a sales guy at Polk this morning.

Now I don't like this forum software/layout anymore than most of you guys as a matter of fact I hate it, I was beginning to get a bad feeling that they might be dropping support for the older products i.e. SDAs and such. So I thought I'd better call and order those RDO-198s I needed for my CRS+ project which I did.

While I was on the phone I asked the guy flat out "Is Polk planning on dropping support for the older products?" he said there were no plans to do so.

I also asked him about this forum and he said that this is just the beginning of a major integration of Polk's online presence tying everything together and that the forum is not even close to being done. Also he said that there some major changes coming including a whole new main site (yet to be up & running).

I don't know if this guy was just blowing smoke or not, If this is all true and knowing how Polks IT guys seem to take there sweet time getting anything done this could take some time.

One thing for sure this forum in it's current state should have never gone public it's nowhere near being ready.

As I see it at this point all we can do is kick back listen to some tunes & get wasted while they try and get this mess sorted out.

JMO.

BTW: They charge my bank account already as:

CHKCARDPOLK AUDIO ONLINE BALTIMORE MD

Notice the ONLINE....
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing about the support of older Polk's, I have 6 new RDO 198's put away, I would like to have 10, maybe I will pull the trigger on 4 more..

You know, Just in case!!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Interesting...There is alot of inteligence information that can be gleaned from a user just visiting a website or a forum that they can use to gain market intelligence that would filter down to development, marketing and even production. Every other company is doing it so Polk should do it too so as not to get their lunch eaten by their competitors. I would imagine most Polkies are loyal to the brand so their is not much about us they don't know or will know.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Well I don't think this guy would just make this stuff up. So hopefully this will turn into something special, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The time of the wisened audio enthusiast with ears on experience is over....time for hipsters, youngsters, ear buds, likes, cluttered tags and sigs, and mobile wireless carefree audio....

I'm looking for the door about now...

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing about the support of older Polk's, I have 6 new RDO 198's put away, I would like to have 10, maybe I will pull the trigger on 4 more..

You know, Just in case!!

I know if I had the money I would have ordered 4 RDO-194s & 4 RDO-198s instead of only 2 198s.

Makes one wonder how many of these tweeters Polk has sold over the years seeing how this is just about the only place you'll find out about them.?
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    From a business perspective, there is nothing wrong with attracting musical neophytes, but you want to steer them towards higher quality gear. Why? Because you have better profit margins. However, while you might need some of the features of this new forum design, you do not want to cater to the lowest common denominator. You want to show the neophytes there is something better, and this current design fails miserably.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I also asked him about this forum and he said that this is just the beginning of a major integration of Polk's online presence tying everything together and that the forum is not even close to being done. Also he said that there some major changes coming including a whole new main site (yet to be up & running).

I have it on good authority that most of the above is true. Not so sure that what we are seeing here isn't the finished product.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I have it on good authority that most of the above is true. Not so sure that what we are seeing here isn't the finished product.

I hope this is not the final product...

This site is horrible now.

I usually don't complain, but this is just silly and obviously just to pander to the "hipster" crowd. AKA broke losers living off of mom and dad that will spend zero $$$ on your products.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    One thing for sure this forum in it's current state should have never gone public it's nowhere near being ready.
    F1nut wrote: »

It's obvious to me that the current forum is a work in progress. It would have been ideal to go live with a "finished product", but limited time and resources don't always provide that option. Given a choice among continuing with the former forum with all its broken functionalities, going forward with a "prototype forum", or no forum at all, I'd choose the work-in-progress prototype. What I would have preferred is all of the features and functionality of the old forum carried over into a new forum with updated features.

One thing we must be mindful of is that, relatively speaking, Polk is a small company with a small number of employees. They don't have a lot of time, money, and manpower to invest in things that don't have significant effect on revenue. Some, perhaps a lot of, companies would have just thrown everything in the old forum away and made everyone re-register and start from scratch with a new forum. That's what PS Audio did earlier this year. All those great technical, review, and how-to threads from me and others going back years and years are gone forever.

Ironically, because Polk is a small company, they are more sensitive to smaller sections of their customer base. That's why we continue to have corporate support for Polkfest. Polk is the only audio company I have dealt with that has invited me to their corporate headquarters for a full day of touring and demonstrations, and then invited me to the homes of the co-founder, VP of marketing, and VP of engineering where I was treated to catered food and drink fit for a head of state (and some very nice audio demos).

Another example is that not many companies support products discontinued 23 years ago. Not many companies, big or small, would allow the kind of vigorous debate, public dissent, and criticism that Polk tolerates on its forum. In fact, I don't know of any corporate sponsored forums that are not heavily moderated to the point where a sense of community is nonexistent. Most corporate forums are just extensions of their marketing and customer service departments. Those forums only exist to provide information and assistance to current and potential customers on current and future products. This forum is more of a customer appreciation effort and is oriented toward audio education and discussion with an emphasis on moving toward higher and higher audio performance.

In view of the way Polk has supported us over the years, all the talk of a "mass exodus" is insulting. I think we should calm down and give an "old friend" the benefit of the doubt and try to work through this difficulty together.

No one has given me a "take it or leave it" ultimatum. No one has slammed the door in my face when I offered constructive criticism and suggestions on the new forum format, so I will continue to do so.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Perhaps true...big changes coming, a revamped main site etc etc. But WHY would Polk upgrade to this romper room website? I keep waiting to see a Tele Tubbie peek out from the side bars. I sure hope they get they "$hit" together first if they "upgrade" the main site.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2014
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Perhaps true...big changes coming, a revamped main site etc etc. But WHY would Polk upgrade to this romper room website?

I don't know. Based on my previous experiences with them, I'm willing to give Polk the benefit of the doubt and assume that this was the best they could do with the time, money, and resources they had available at the time.

I don't think they sat around and thought of ways to piss off and run off forum members.
    halo71 wrote: »
    I keep waiting to see a Tele Tubbie peek out from the side bars. I sure hope they get they "$hit" together first if they "upgrade" the main site.

I keep waiting to see people accept a gift graciously without any sense of entitlement. Polk does not owe us a forum. They especially do not owe us a free forum which is largely a social medium rather than an extension of their revenue generating sales and marketing departments.

I don't particularly care for a lot of the aspects of the new forum, and I have offered suggestions and constructive criticism. However, I view the forum as a gift graciously offered and I feel it is my responsibility to graciously accept it or if I cannot accept it, try to work with the gift giver in a way that is not insulting. If someone gifted me an expensive pair of shoes that turned out to be a size too small, I would not refuse the gift in a dishonorable manner. There are ways the matter could be amicably resolved.

I am not saying that we should not complain about lacking functionality, features, and aesthetics. I am not saying that we should not offer comments and suggestions for improvement. I'm saying we should do so in a respectful manner.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    Options
    Great posts DK
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I wish the designer would open a line of communication with the forum members to express his ideas and plans. If anything, to let us know how close this is to the final product. I think if there hadn't been such a lack of communication, the transition would have went much smoother.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    DK, always the gentleman!

Polk? We've always given them a LOT of rope. And there are thousands of posts that prove that!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • BlueFox
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I agree we should be a bit more positive in our criticism of the new format. I think it was the complete shock of the new format that prompted the hostile outburst from so many, myself included. Add in the fact that there was never any notification the URL had changed, and we had to find the new forum, helped increase the disappointment and anger. It is especially painful since all that needed to be done to the old site were some minor tweaks that would have added all the new functionality here, but without any of the issues.

That said, I am calmer now with the new site. Get rid of the red text font, go wide-screen, and I am happy.

I do like the increased edit time, avatars, and better picture posting. I hated the size restriction on the old site, and really got tired of cropping and resizing photos for it.
    Post edited by BlueFox on

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Well said BlueFox...I totally agree!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    DK...I never said they owed us a forum nor meant it. And if they done away with it tomorrow I would not lose a wink over it. But..."time, money and resources they had available at the time"??? Really? I am not so sure that Polk was saving up their pennies to be able to upgrade to a more modern or better forum than the old one. I mean come on.....the old forum was broke and never fixed. But it was still a helluva lot better than this!

I could see some small company putting out a crappy website like this one has shown to be. But a major player in the audio world doing this, should be ashamed. Even if major changes are coming. Polk should have hired a company or web designer that knows what he is doing. Simple as that.....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    DK's response is why I have stayed out of the gripe threads. This place has felt like home to so many that I understand the frustration, but I found out during the vacation that it wasn't the forum I missed at all, it was maintaining contact with several of the members here.

On a side note, I've created a forum of my own. I know we have an alternative forum, but I've stayed away from it because I don't want to discuss religion or politics or any other topic that can cause unnecessary controversy. I simply wanted a second place that focused on audio and the relationships created through it. The forum can be found here: audiosnob.boards.net/

I intend to use this forum as a backup to the information we have here on Polk, including the reviews I've personally done. I also created it with the hope that it would be a secondary meeting location if something does happen to this forum again.

If you have your own reviews that you'd like archived in a secondary location, I greatly encourage you to do so on the forum above. The fact that something could happen and all information would be lost with no alternatives left me a little fearful.

Skip, just as a FYI, check out the "alternate" site. I did some cleanup to make it more audio friendly. All the non audio stuff is located in one location at the bottom.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Skip, just as a FYI, check out the "alternate" site. I did some cleanup to make it more audio friendly. All the non audio stuff is located in one location at the bottom.

I appreciate the response. The forum I created is one I don't want to be limited to just Polkies. This is actually part of a bigger concept I have that I don't care to discuss at the moment. I don't care to visit the alternate, no offense to anyone who is a part of it. I like the interactions we have here and feel that the extra parts could have the potential to change my views on some members. I don't want that to happen.

No offense taken, just wanted you to be aware that this week I made some significant changes over there to allow it to be an audio site with some off topic sections.

The intent at that site is also not just for fellow Polk members, but regardless, just was more of a FYI. We can talk more via PM if needed.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options

I appreciate the response. The forum I created is one I don't want to be limited to just Polkies. This is actually part of a bigger concept I have that I don't care to discuss at the moment. I don't care to visit the alternate, no offense to anyone who is a part of it. I like the interactions we have here and feel that the extra parts could have the potential to change my views on some members. I don't want that to happen.

No offense taken, just wanted you to be aware that this week I made some significant changes over there to allow it to be an audio site with some off topic sections.

The intent at that site is also not just for fellow Polk members, but regardless, just was more of a FYI. We can talk more via PM if needed.

And more to come... The new look is awesome, and I must say that in the time the site has been up, we have never needed a moderator to chastise anyone, ban anyone, or delete spam of any kind.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Thank you, DarqueKnight, for injecting some reason, commonsense, courtesy, and -- above all -- sincere gratitude into a "discussion" that had become from time to time unnecessarily and dysfunctionally acrimonious and myopic.

Yes, you are a gentleman -- and a scholar!

Well said!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• BlueFox
    Options

Apparently, all the comments here about how completely and utterly terrible a red font is just flew over your head. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    DK's response is why I have stayed out of the gripe threads. This place has felt like home to so many that I understand the frustration, but I found out during the vacation that it wasn't the forum I missed at all, it was maintaining contact with several of the members here.

On a side note, I've created a forum of my own. I know we have an alternative forum, but I've stayed away from it because I don't want to discuss religion or politics or any other topic that can cause unnecessary controversy. I simply wanted a second place that focused on audio and the relationships created through it. The forum can be found here: audiosnob.boards.net/

I intend to use this forum as a backup to the information we have here on Polk, including the reviews I've personally done. I also created it with the hope that it would be a secondary meeting location if something does happen to this forum again.

If you have your own reviews that you'd like archived in a secondary location, I greatly encourage you to do so on the forum above. The fact that something could happen and all information would be lost with no alternatives left me a little fearful.

Wow, great job!!!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    What was said about the plug being pulled and not letting us know where to go kinda bit me too as I kept checking back and getting the same message. I got on their Facebook page and asked if they had decided to just turn off the switch and was promptly told to do a reset and go to through regular ole Polkaudio.com. Anyway it is what it is and at least everyone is still around. Cheers!
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It's funny how this same subject comes up every time the look changes. I want to go back to the 2002-era Club Polk! When Troy and Russ' head got photoshopped on every-f'n thing and Sal didn't have an EV complex. And the higher-ups at Polk ignored us and let us do our thing because the internet was a fad. ;)
    Ludicrous gibs!