Experience with Pro Logic IIx??

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited March 2004 in Speakers
Now that some of you guys have recently purchased new receivers, what has been your experience with Pro Logic IIx? How different is it from Pro Logic II?

Since I'm always looking for a good excuse to upgrade, is it worth upgrading my 6.1 receiver just to get Pro Logic IIx?
(NOTE: I'm mainly interested in it for movies, not for multi-channel music.)

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2004
    Options
    id have to say no....why would you want to watch a movie in anything else other then the surround mode it was encoded in? especially pro logic? from my expirence with the previous pro logic's id definitely not upgrade based on a new pro logic format. but then again, i've never heard it. id say check it out if ur interested
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Airplay,
    Pro Logic II is NIGHT AND DAY over Pro Logic...

Pro Logic II is not near as center based, and has stereo surround channels. It is totally different.

Pro Logic IIx is probally good as well.

Pro Logic isnt that bad either. I enjoy movies with Pro Logic, if I had a choice would I use it? Nah......I would rather have PLII or DTS, DD, etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I got one of the first gen Yamaha RXV2400's so it doesn't have PLIIx on it. if e'd ever get enough in to fill more than backorders, I'd swap mine out to let you know how I like it.

Airplay, the reason PLIIx is a big a deal for movies is because you can use it in conjunction with a 5.1 Dolby Digital track to get stereo information on the two surround back speakers. From everything I've read, the result is impressive.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    Options
    From what I've read, it really works wonders if you're running a 7.1 system.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • powers20
    powers20 Posts: 21
    edited March 2004
    Options
    plIIx splits the rear channel using the exact formula as pro logic. It is used to turn either 2 channel or 5.1 into 6.1 or 7.1. It sounds pretty damn good. I still like dd ex better though. i got crap speakers in back though so it's difficult for me to say how good it really could be.
    Front RTI4s
    Center CSI3
    Velodyne ULD-18 Sub
    Pioneer DV-563A Dvd, SACD, DVD audio player
    Sony CDP-CX355 300 disc CD player
    Technics SL-7 turntable
    Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Reciever
    Dish Network DVR
    Playstation 2 and 3 both optical out
    Sony Wega 34" Widescreen CRT HDTV
  • powers20
    powers20 Posts: 21
    edited March 2004
    Options
    fireshoes, i heard that if your yamaha is under warranty they will upgrade it to IIx free!!! All you have to do is pay to ship it to them. They told me if it wasn't under warranty they would charge over $200. I would call them.
    Front RTI4s
    Center CSI3
    Velodyne ULD-18 Sub
    Pioneer DV-563A Dvd, SACD, DVD audio player
    Sony CDP-CX355 300 disc CD player
    Technics SL-7 turntable
    Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Reciever
    Dish Network DVR
    Playstation 2 and 3 both optical out
    Sony Wega 34" Widescreen CRT HDTV
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I am very impressed with PLIIx. It really fills the room w/out sounding overprocessed. Some sources are better than others. I listened to the new Norah Jones CD and was blown away how it took the 2 channels and spead them out over 6.

The Yamaha and PLIIx really does a good job.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • Early B.
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Let's say you have a DVD encoded in 5.1. Does PLIIx send a separate signal to the 6th and 7th channel or is the same sound produced in all of the rear and back speakers?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Each back speaker has an individual sound. It is not a mono output.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • Early B.
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Wow. Sounds pretty impressive.

Looks like I got me a reason to upgrade. Just gotta figure out how to explain to my wife the benefits of PLIIx. Maybe I can tell her that we'll be able to play Oprah in surround sound. Yeah, that'll do it.

I have a Denon 1803. Since I like Denon products, I'll wait to see how the reviews for the Denon 3805 turn out. Many people also seem to be very impressed with the Yamaha RX-V1400 as well.

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    Options
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2004
    Options
    i've never heard it, and i mentioned that, i was just going by the fact that i do not like the pro logic or pl2 sound at all, whether it is for movies or music. my marantz receiver has srs circle surround and i found that to be a much better alternative for playing sources not encoded with surround.