Which format do you want?

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    OMG, I just realized that I had set Firefox to magnify things slightly a couple years ago to make things easier to read online. There is even more wasted space here than I originally thought. No wonder someone told me they couldn't read my signature when I had it set to Size 1. I completely forgot I was seeing things bigger. I wish I could have made all my ex-girlfriends see things bigger. :#
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I wish I could have made all my ex-girlfriends see things bigger. :#
    Signature material right there
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    It REALY doesn't matter... What ever it is, we'll adapt
    Get vBulletin back
    Keep Vanilla

This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, it does matter. The wrong choice will drive people away, and bad mouth Polk. The right choice will attract people, and complement Polk.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    If one was to bad mouth Polk over a choice in web site formats, that person or persons (if you will) need serious help! I'm not here because of the brand anymore, as I have moved into a totally different brand, I come back because of the members, and the members I like (for the most part) are still posting away. not staying away???
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueFox
    If one was to bad mouth Polk over a choice in web site formats, that person or persons (if you will) need serious help!

Then, conversely, if a person complemented Polk over their choice in web site formats they would also need serious help. You do not seem to understand the importance of image in regard to a brand. Unfortunately, when poor, or worse, decision making is accepted then it can become a company standard that affects all areas of that organization.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    warren wrote: »
    It REALY doesn't matter... What ever it is, we'll adapt
    Get vBulletin back
    Keep Vanilla

This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Really doesn't matter. It would be interesting to see statistics how many people actually visit this new contraption that Polk calls forum. I betcha "attendance" is skyrocketing... in the wrong direction.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If one was to bad mouth Polk over a choice in web site formats, that person or persons (if you will) need serious help!

Then, conversely, if a person complemented Polk over their choice in web site formats they would also need serious help. You do not seem to understand the importance of image in regard to a brand. Unfortunately, when poor, or worse, decision making is accepted then it can become a company standard that affects all areas of that organization.
    No I guess I don't understand?? Really, the products are not even made in the USA...I get that! Polk still rock and rolls, I get that! A forum format is not going to make or break what Polk sells....guess You just don't get that!! BTW how many gedahs (that's big bucks to you ) have you laid out to make the forum a better place?????? None....okay, so until that's an option, and when you actually throw down a few g's (that's thousands to you) why not just enjoy the opportunity at hand to still converse with a pretty cool group and stop complaining about something you have nothing to do with! Just my 2 cents foxy!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueFox
    On the What's Best Forum, using the same VB software Polk used before this upgrade, a user can customize the appearance to whatever they prefer. Now that is service. :)

cxn6z7yb3euo.jpg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    ^^^^That's the way to do it!!^^^^ "What's best" is the perfect name for that forum.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I hate being critical sometimes, but this new forum is poorly designed. I understand the concept behind it, but it is too difficult to read and looking at it is somewhat painful. Here are a few ideas on how to improve it:
    1. On the main page and category pages ( ie Clubhouse), use all the horizontal space on the page for content
    2. The menu listing all the categories on the right on each category page.....move it to the top and bottom of each category page, and streamline this menu. You can even ditch the headings such as "Special Interests" since they are superfluous and this will simplify the menus at the top and bottom.
    3. All the stuff to the right of the main page....also streamline this and put it on the top of the main page, under the Links to Polks product pages.
    4. Use red as the third color in the overall color scheme. Using red as a text color is usually not done because of eye strain and most folks who are color blind will be red color blind. Change the red text to a blue and only use red for a few elements.
    Again, I hate being critical, especially since this forum is free, but like anything....there is always room for improvement. If anyone there would like some help with the forum, please PM me.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Can I add a "Playboy" format to the poll ? Eh, might take away from the old forum results. Imagine those avatars...lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Jesus,,this new format is fooking terrible!!!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    I dont know what I think about the new format. Its not nearly as polished as the last version but its workable. Maybe with a few tweaks it can be solid. Either way I voted for the VBulletin.

Ive been here since 2003 and I preferred the format before the last format when we had cool titles like Polk Guru and Polkster. I didnt like the last change either but didnt mind because I was here for the brand that I loved and used for 15 years. Now that the brand has gone way downhill and just about given up on anything other than entry level car audio Ive gone from checking in here several times a day to maybe once a month. The car audio forum is essentially dead now and when I signed on this evening I saw that there were only 23 members online. Thats pretty low. So Im wondering if the rapid decline in participation and active membership was the reason Polk decided to go with an obviously much cheaper forum engine.

I dont know, this place just breaks my heart. About 2006 I BLED Polk Audio but lately I cant find much to like. I hate the new logo, I hate the girly heart thingy, I hate that theyve abandoned the high end and possibly even mid range market of car audio in favor of entry level gear, I hate their poor performing and trouble prone DEI rebadge amps, I hate that they discontinued the Signature Reference line and havent come out with anything new better than entry level since 2009 and I dont get the wood panel look to the website. Ill always have a soft spot in my hear for Polk Audio no matter how much DEI rapes the brand (MB Quart, Orion, a/d/s) and doubt Ill ever leave this place permanently. Ill always check in from time to time and maybe even make the odd post and keep hoping that the brand I loved returns. If that happens, I dont care what format their forum has, Ill be here supporting it.

Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated with all these just awful changes in the brand I loved and felt like I was more than just a consumer of, I felt like I was part of.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2014
    I vote for more b o o b s

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    MacLeod, I assume your post is directed at just the car audio division, because Polk is still making great gear for the home audio crowd and some of their personal audio products are good as well.

I think the industry as a whole has given up on car audio. Sure there are still a few brands out there that make great gear, but as OEM head units are getting more and more integrated with the vehicle and getting harder to replace I'm seeing less emphasis on car audio overall. I live in Dallas which is a fairly modern city and I still have to drive across town to find a good car audio installer, when ten years ago I had two within 5 miles of my house.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    MacLeod, I assume your post is directed at just the car audio division, because Polk is still making great gear for the home audio crowd and some of their personal audio products are good as well.

Thats good to know. I was afraid their home audio line was going down as fast as their car audio line.
    I think the industry as a whole has given up on car audio. Sure there are still a few brands out there that make great gear, but as OEM head units are getting more and more integrated with the vehicle and getting harder to replace I'm seeing less emphasis on car audio overall. I live in Dallas which is a fairly modern city and I still have to drive across town to find a good car audio installer, when ten years ago I had two within 5 miles of my house.

I dont know man, there are still plenty of brands churning out really good and new gear. Focal, Morel, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine, Audison, Hertz, Arc Audio, JBL and several others. There was a survey done in a tuner magazine a few years back that showed car audio was still the #1 modification/upgrade people did to their cars. The high end market is getting smaller due in large part to the fact that most all guys that are in the market for high end gear are running active so paying $200-300 extra for a passive crossover that theyre never going to use has driven them to the raw home audio driver market and using stuff like Scanspeak and Seas drivers instead of component sets that cost a lot more. For example, the tweeters that came with the SR series were sold for $100 EACH! Theyre the same as the Vifa XT25 ring radiators you can get on Madisound for $25 each. So I get why the high end market is drying up but the midrange market is still doing pretty good I would imagine judging by forum traffic and all the other companies continuing to come out with new and cool stuff. Polk however is still riding on the MM series that came out around 2009.

Im not bashing on Polk out of hate. I still love the brand, I just want them to at least put up a fight in car audio. They used to be a very well respected brand in car audio circles with the Momo line, definitely the Signature Reference line and the old DB line but are now slipping into the realm of just an entry level brand.

polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2014
    Good to see you poking your head out every now and then Aaron. Hope the kid is doing well!

As far as the new forum goes...I didn't even know it existed because I was using my old bookmark...oops. I'm not a fan of the new look, but I wasnt a fan of the previous look either. I have a 24" widescreen and the text takes up 7". Ugh.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    It's probably already been said, but my 2 biggest complaints are the fact that the actual forum is crammed into the middle of the page, and the fact that pics in some signatures are HUGE. The huge signatures throw me for a loop. Anyhoo.....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    FYI: One may turn "off" photos in signatures from one's "profile" page... highly recommended so to do (IMO).

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FYI: One may turn "off" photos in signatures from one's "profile" page... highly recommended so to do (IMO).

Oh man, thank you so much. MUCH better.

2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    call me kooky, but I think this forum is much better than the last one. Simpler for me to use. Going to be easier for newer people to use. Polk is in the business of making new customers happy as well
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    of course, I always hated V bulletin with the white hot passion of a thousand Blue Stars, so maybe I'm biased
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • mhardy6647
    I like vBulletin (I'm used to it) but I didn't like the plethora of spam that the Polk forums (fora?) attracted... this one, so far, seems to be much better in that regard.

Truth be told, I'd be just as happy if everyone used the "classic" forum motif still employed at audioasylum! : - ) Simple and fast.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I think Emo may have a better forum setup than us right now.....
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

And get rid of sigs altogether is you choose. Much cleaner look without the sigs, which is unfortunate because I like to see them...just not on the new forum.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    I opted to keep the text and lose the graphics; seems like a good compromise to me.

I just continue to bristle at the lack of a "new posts" button! The "recent discussions" does not have as high a signal to noise ratio to return new posts/updated threads as did the old forum's "new post" button. : - (
  • ^^^^ Agreed. Recent discussions doesn't seem to have any consistency that I can find. It isn't the most recent or the most active. It seems to be recent and random.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I think Emo may have a better forum setup than us right now.....

I think just about EVERY audio forum has a better setup that this one. lol

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • mhardy6647
    ... It isn't the most recent or the most active. It seems to be recent and random.

Like my brain activity : - )