Which format do you want?

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,787
edited August 2014 in The Clubhouse
Pretty basic, does the forum collective want to go back to vBulletin with all the latest upgrades and hopefully get back the info/pics that are lost as of now or stick with this new format.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Which format do you want? 182 votes

Get vBulletin back
89% 162 votes
Keep Vanilla
10% 20 votes

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    If the collective has a choice then I'm glad to be part of the 83%
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    Options
    I liked the layout of vBulletin but considering that Polk has already spent money for the new software and they provide this forum, I would try to wade through the new. I am going through something similar at work right now, new software was brought online last week and the learning curve is vertical.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

fun63lsofnb7.jpeg

I think we should have a poll on which b-o-o-b is your favorite. The left or right.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I forgot to mention, the poll is private. No one will know which choice you voted for unless you want to say so.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I voted for the VB instead of the new style FB
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I want VB with larger picture files sizes, and avatars.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I preferred VB by a mile....not so shameless bump
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »

fun63lsofnb7.jpeg

I think we should have a poll on which b-o-o-b is your favorite. The left or right.

Either one is absolutely fine by me.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    Emma Stone is hotter, and I'm still pissed they killed her off in Spiderman!!

I voted vBulletin..
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't know, the "collective" is looking pretty good up there! 86% and rising!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    vB for me please, OR tweak the hell out of the Vanilla (widescreen, color changes, etc.) if Polk refuses to switch back to vB. I absolutely would prefer vB, just to be clear.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I have elected not to vote, because I am torn. To lose much of the valuable data from the old forum is a tragedy, and a loss to all of us and many in the future. There was so much time, effort, and generosity put into making all of the useful diy threads with images, instructions and details that has helped not only the active members but countless others that did not desire to converse. With that said the new format isn't that bad, and they are making some of the requested changes. The mobile format is very good IMO and I believe is what sold Polk to vanilla. Trends are changing and people are using tablets and smartphones as their primary source for internet browsing (outside of work) more all of the time. I understand that for Polk to continue offering this great audio forum, as well as great new products, that they need to continue to be successful as a corporation, which includes staying on target with the current and future consumer and selling products. As hard as it is to admit, many of us are no longer the target consumer. I presume the bulk of Polk's revenue comes from the smaller consumer electronics such as headphones, Ipod docks, and the small satellite surround systems (evidence in the background photo). Polk's strategy is obviously targeting a younger consumer (tattoo girl) , while establishing brand recognition for the future. Yes this looks a lot like facebook and it is more juvenile, but yet I believe it is more welcoming to the majority of Polk's current and future customers or prospective customers. I will not pretend to know anything about the better vbulletin update. The new format, however, will please a wider member base, whether now or in the future. I understand that many of you have spent a good portion of your lives offering advice and info on this forum and have developed a network of friendships as a result. I do not think it is fair for you to have your efforts and even a portion of your personal legacy lost or discarded. You all have generously shared your experiences and built a wonderful community, but in the end it all belongs to Polk doesn't it? I do think that their needs to be more compromise as this forum benefits both us and Polk. Their needs to be a third option, one that allows Polk to accomplish their goals while respecting the effort put forth by the members in making this the best audio forum on the planet. I hope that Polk recognizes the amount of goodwill they have in this community and finds a solution.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Was the format change a cost issue? I think it will drive some of the old members away (might be the objective). vB is hands down the favorite for most Forums. Steve Hoffman Forum might be the exception.
    Carl

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I just went back to the old forum. Granted, I could only stare at the "Quick Upgrade, Be Back Soon" front of the forum but that's the Polk Forum not this one. This ones not even close to being the Polk Forum!

Put me down for VB!!!

Oh and I'll take the left one. :#
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • BlueFox
    Options
    The mobile format is very good IMO and I believe is what sold Polk to vanilla.

There is no mobile version.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited August 2014
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The mobile format is very good IMO and I believe is what sold Polk to vanilla.

There is no mobile version.

Yes there is, it's laid out a little different, and there is no red, it's blue now, on my iPhone anyway..

• BlueFox
    Options
    Where is it? So far it hasn't shown up on my iPad. VB works fine on iPads and iPhones.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I just checked out the mobile version, I think the blue needs to be darker. But I like it better than the red.

Edit: I've got an add-on called Phony 3.6 which allows me to switch between desktop and mobile versions of sites by impersonating other browsers.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Where is it!

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    I just changed the setting on my tablet browser. I'm using Firefox.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    I just checked out the mobile version, I think the blue needs to be darker. But I like it better than the red.

Agreed!

BlueFox, I just went to the site using my iphone to check it out. Took me automatically to the mobile version. I rarely use my iphone to come to the polk forum and would prefer Polk to put all the features in the mobile version into the desktop/laptop Polk site.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    jeremymarcinko - hammer, nail....head!

Nicely written and I agree.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • BlueFox
    Options
    headrott wrote: »

Agreed!

BlueFox, I just went to the site using my iphone to check it out. Took me automatically to the mobile version. I rarely use my iphone to come to the polk forum and would prefer Polk to put all the features in the mobile version into the desktop/laptop Polk site.

If it is not giving the user a choice as to what version they prefer then this software is even worse than thought.

There is no setting in Chrome on the iPad for a mobile version. If this software requires specific browsers then it is even worse than thought.

So far these programmers are the Three Stooges of the programming world.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikey1987
    Options
    Old format pleaseeeeee
    Speakers: Polk RTi10
    Preamp: Parasound PL/D-1100
    Amplifier: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Neighbors: pissed off
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'm using chrome on android, but it may be similar. The mobile format is the default but in the browser menu I have an option to use the desktop version. Maybe try a different browser, Safari?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    jeremymarcinko - hammer, nail....head!
    Nicely written and I agree.

Yes, very nicely said.

Good luck to Polk on whatever path they take.

Sal Palooza
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Okay. The iPhone does look better. However, I rarely use the iPhone for this type of thing. That should be the last platform to get working.

On the iPad both Safari and Chrome display the ugly format. There is no option with either browser to change formats.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    My only wish is for more support, for members tweaks and software upgrades. Lord knows we have had none of either in the recent past. I'll be for whatever format brings that "can do" back to the Polk forum. :D:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Didn't have to think or read any comments.

Old Forum please.

Right or left boob? Yes.

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I think this format will be OK if the the following minor tweaks are made:
    1. Increase the display width so the majority of the screen is the actual forum content rather than the background imagery. This seems to be a pretty-universal complaint among the users.
    2. Limit the size of images displayed in user signatures. They are currently allowed to be way to big. I reduced mine on my own rather than hog the entire screen with my repetitious signature images. Most forums do limit the size of signature images for that reason.
    3. The only other improvement I can think of at this point would be to possibly separate the sticky topics at the top of the pages better. Maybe put them in a box or something because as they are now it is hard to differentiate them from new topics.
    4. I'm sure there are a few other minor tweaks that would make the forum more enjoyable but nothing too significant. I think if you were to make the relatively minor adjustments I have mentioned, the others (who are still deciding if they can live with this format or not) will come around as they use it more and the whining will subside. ;)

Oh and FYI.... I voted to keep this format vs the older style in the poll.