SDA 1C dovetailed walnut project

Options
2»

Comments

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Here is what I used and they worked well. I like the Torx drive or Allen drive screws better than Phillips head screws. You don't have to constantly press in to get the driver to solidly connect to the screw:

#8-32 Hurricane Nuts 50 Pcs.

I removed 1/3 of the radius from the flange of the hurricane nut before installing to prevent it from hanging over the edge of the holes in the cabinet.

Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw,
    • Black Oxide Finish,
    • Button Head, Internal Hex Drive,
    • 1" Length, Fully Threaded,
    • #8-32 UNC Threads,
    • Imported (Pack of 100)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited December 2013
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    I removed 1/3 of the radius from the flange of the hurricane nut before installing to prevent it from hanging over the edge of the holes in the cabinet.
    That's overkill Ronnie. There's plenty of clearance. The Hurricane Nuts don't interfere with the Driver or PRs.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TennMan
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That's overkill Ronnie. There's plenty of clearance. The Hurricane Nuts don't interfere with the Driver or PRs.
    I would agree that it is not needed but I think it makes a better looking job not to have the flange overlapping the holes. If you have a bench vice you can snap off the side of the flange easily, Then hit it a lick with a file to smooth the edge and your ready to install.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • crispybrown
    crispybrown Posts: 21
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Great resource. The four, Flat, Phillips Head screws on the RDOs are M4 X1/4" or 6.35 MM. I think it will be easier to find 8-32 Flat Head Phillips for the outer mounting screws, rather than the other way around.

It should be easy to find both, but I don't think 8-32 flat head Phillips will sit right in the plastic of the tweeters.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Also be very careful not to over tighten the tweeters or you'll crack the plastic!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • westmassguy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thought I'd update on the tweeter machine screws. I was able to locate some M6 X 6mm, flat head, black oxide cap screws that match the 1" I used on the four outside mounts:

100_1820.JPG
    100_1821.JPG

Much cleaner look than the Phillips head mixed with the flat, cap screws.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2014
    Options
    It should be easy to find both, but I don't think 8-32 flat head Phillips will sit right in the plastic of the tweeters.

They won't. What you want is 8-32 oval head machine screws, like these: http://www.go2marine.com/product/43973F/18-8-ss-phillips-oval-head-machine-screw-8-32.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=CMeDobuw7LsCFWJo7Aodng0AiQ

It's what Polk used.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • TennMan
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I think the head of the screw is a cosmetic preference. The cutout for the tweeter in the baffle is going to align it properly regardless of the shape of the head of the screw. All I have installed are a really close fit.
  • crispybrown
    crispybrown Posts: 21
    edited May 2014
    Options
    OK, it has been much longer than I anticipated, partly because I took so long to complete the tung oil finish, and partly just time taken to get around to posting pictures, but...

Firstly, I found Larry had no more tweeter or binding post rings available, so I decided to make my own. I cut the binding post rings using a bench grinder, drill press, hole saw used previously for a bathroom project and a lot of patience. I cut the tweeter 'rings' in a similar way using a couple of different size hole saws to make the odd shape.

I then did a lot of reading up on weld nuts, brazing, acetylene etc before deciding rivet nuts looked like a better idea. In theory to fit a rivet nut into sheet metal you simply drill a hole, insert it and use a tool much like a rivet gun to squish it slightly. In practice I found the tool is expensive and the hole has to be very precise to get the rivet to both fit, then sufficiently tighten. After some failed attempts I decided to solder the rivet nuts into the slightly too large holes I drilled. This worked incredibly well and easily, and the solder seems more than strong enough for the application. A coat of black paint hid any grinding and solder ugliness!
    ring1.JPG

ring2.JPG

ring3.JPG

ring4.JPG

The custom tweeter rings provided for the possibility of using M4 philips head screws to mount the tweeters, matching those holding the plastic front plates to the magnets. I'm quite pleased with the look of these, even though they don't really "match" the screws holding the bass/mid drivers in:
    tweeter.JPG

I lost count of how many coats of tung oil, sanding with fine sandpaper and 0000 steel wool it took, but finally I was bored enough to convince myself the finish was sufficient and buff it with a wool pad:
    1c1.JPG

1c2.JPG

1c3.JPG

Fortunately the drawn out schedule did give me time to fit gimpod's boards and Cardas litz chassis wire (thanks to nspindel for lending me the solder pot necessary to make use of this wire practical!)

Finally upon reassembly and basic testing, I listen to a few familiar tracks I noticed some unwanted vibrations. This iOS app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/signal-generator/id409241018?mt=8&at=10lGyj&ign-mpt=uo%3D8 proved useful in eliminating them. As I slowly swept from 1hz to 20kHz and back I found and fixed:
    - Chassis wires between the binding post cup and board vibrating against each other.
    - Chassis wires to the tweeters vibrating against the chassis.
    - Thin flexible copper wire between the connection spades and mid/bass driver coils vibrating against *the cone itself* (gently pulling them away was the fix)

I highly recommend anyone who hasn't already done so use a similar app or an actual physical audio signal generator to find and eliminate nasty buzzing both in the speakers and in the room itself - the overall effect on sound was significant, and your chances of finding them all by playing music is slim.

It's been way too long to objectively say whether the 1Cs sound 'better' and during the project my amplifier has been re-capped anyway, but I'm happy with the sound and the new look gained wife acceptance factor (at least to the degree possible with speakers of this size!)
  • westmassguy
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Those came out beautiful. I too run sweep test tones after assembly. Very revealing in some cases. Enjoy them!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Extraordinary work -- looks and craftsmanship!

Well done!

Enjoy those beautiful speakers -- listening and looking!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    edited May 2014
    Options
    That's about as nice as a pair of 1C's can get!!! Very proud to have owned these bad boys at one point, and glad I picked the right guy to pass them on to. Outstanding work.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Very nice,love the walnut.

Dan
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Very Nice!!! Great job on the rings as well..

That's how it's done, dream it, see it, and make it happen!!!
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have been waiting for someone to do this for a long time, great job. Really nice to see what it looks like!

I would like to do this to one of my pairs of SDA's some day
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited May 2014
    Options
    What else can be said.
    Stunning
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Those are beautiful. Great workmanship
    Randy/Maine
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2014
    Options
    A very unique one off pair, great job!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Congrats. Great work on the rings.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited May 2014
    Options
    You did very well on those rings and you SDA wood. They look great and I am sure sound phenominl. Enjoy the improved audio quality and music.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • amb426amb1
    amb426amb1 Posts: 148
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Great read....love the workmanship you put into those speakers. Now sit back and enjoy!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    crispybrown,
    Just ran into this older thread. Kudos to your work and research. I love the big dovetail joints. How are they sounding to you.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    crispybrown,
    Just ran into this older thread. Kudos to your work and research. I love the big dovetail joints. How are they sounding to you.

He hasn't been on here since November 2014...
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Thanks Ken,

I thought I may "wake" him. I owe you a "thank you" to from when you cleared my sign on problems a year or two or three years ago. Thanks!
    Harry Jones
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    You must be thinking of Kenneth Swauger
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • crispybrown
    Options
    Thanks Ken,

I thought I may "wake" him. I owe you a "thank you" to from when you cleared my sign on problems a year or two or three years ago. Thanks!
    Harry Jones
    Marietta GA

Indeed you did wake me thanks to email alerts!

Glad you like the look. The only issue I have had with them since has been one of the side panels coming loose. That I blame on my commitment issues... I glued the sides on with caulk rather than strong adhesive in case for any reason I had to get them off again. To fix this I will probably have to use some more serious glue on the side of the cabinet and in the dovetails. I am paranoid about vibration issues after I glue them in a nonreversible way though.

Sound wise I am happy and have not tweaked them further. I was tempted to add a tweeter resistor to tone down the treble slightly but so far not tempted enough to do it. The crazy treble was one of the things I loved about the speakers when I first heard them - it sounds great in my opinion at sensible volumes at the minor expense of hearing damage at non-sensible volumes. :-)

Anyway, the last couple of years have been spent rebuilding bicycles and a very old bathroom sink, so the SDAs have 'only' been listened to.

• nspindel
    Options
    You thought my treble was crazy?