RTiA7 and CSiA6 Crossover Upgrades - A Slightly Different Approach

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2014
    Beautiful work, Jesse!

Imagination, patience and skill!

Well done!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited April 2014
    Nice work my friend. Nice work indeed. :loneranger:
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2014
    Wow. Beautiful work. Now step it up and do a pair of RTIA9's and a CSIA6. I'll send you my address when complete. Very nice craftsmanship Jesse.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2014
    Things are getting better.

I tried listening to a CD once before on my HT rig in stereo, didn't make it past the first song...just horrible. Tonight I put in the same CD, Gaucho and while not in the same league as the big rig, it's a major improvement.....I listened to the entire CD.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2014
    F1nut wrote: »

I tried listening to a CD once before on my HT rig in stereo, didn't make it past the first song...just horrible. Tonight I put in the same CD, Gaucho and while not in the same league as the big rig, it's a major improvement.....I listened to the entire CD.

That's what makes all these mods so much fun . . . and addicting. And of course it's only going to get better as the new Xover components burn in.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Jayce1971
    Jayce1971 Posts: 38
    edited April 2014
    Quality workmanship is always aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful craftsmanship on those. Hope they sound as nice as they appear.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.
  • BKphoto
    BKphoto Posts: 409
    edited April 2014

i find it odd to listen to music through an HT system....too much center channel i think...
    Marantz 1152 DC- Denon DP 1200, Soundsmith Carmen MKII- ADS L980 - Blue Jeans IC's
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited April 2014
    That's what the 'stereo' listening mode is for. ;)

To me music only sounds good in either Stereo, multichannel stereo (if we're partying) or if it is a 5.1 music track. Blu-Ray Concerts are usually pretty good in 5.1, placing emphasis on the left and right channels while using the center only for a little bit of center stage fill.

That F1nut listened to a whole CD seems a HUGE improvement!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited April 2014
    Very nice work Jesse...
  • F1nut
    edited April 2014
    Update: My search for suitable gasket material for the new binding post plates lead me to CRG Products (www.crgproducts.com) and a wonderful lady named Laurie Way.....outstanding customer service! What I ended up with is product code 1746A, which is a thin compressible closed cell foam with a PSA backing. Some careful measuring, a bunch of single edge razor blades and a custom made hole punch resulted in the following.

RTiA7 New Gasket.JPG

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2014
    One last shot of this project showing Trey's custom plate installed with MIT Shotgun cables and jumpers attached.
    RTiA7 Binding Post Plate.JPG

At this point I am confident that the crossovers are fully burned in and once again the results are outstanding. All the usual improvements apply. :cool:

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2014
    Wow....just....Wow !! Looks fantastic Jess.

Always said you don't do anything half ****...no exceptions here either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2014
    NOW! I see what you were talking about, very nice job. Looks like some thing I might have come up with if I had those speakers. :mrgreen:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2014
    Holy Smoke! That is so awesome Jesse. serious skills there.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm already planning my next crossover project, it'll be a bit more serious than this one.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2014
    Have you narrowed down the low end caps Jesse? Is it still looking like Calrity Cap ESA's? They would be a fine choice.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    edited April 2014
    Probably so as there is a very limited choice in the value I need.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2014
    Sheeeeeze... That's some cool stuff.
    So, have you been spending much time listening to music on these since all this? What are your impressions now?

How did you determine what changes were necessary, which parts to use, and how to build/design?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2014
    Sorry Scott, I missed your post, but think I answered those questions in our PM's. If not, let me know.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2014
    indeed you did, sir, thanks!
    this project gives me motivational envy!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm already planning my next crossover project, it'll be a bit more serious than this one.

And what would that be fine sir?????
  • F1nut
    edited May 2014
    All in good time....still plotting and planning.

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2014
    Think you just a natural born D.I.Y. Hacker :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Things are getting better... ...Tonight I put in the same CD, Gaucho... ...it's a major improvement.....I listened to the entire CD.
    Great choice! Years before the invention of the CD, we used Gaucho (vinyl!) to audition & tweek his new system w/powered sub.
    Side note: did you retain any of the stock Polk wire? I found theirs between the BPs & XO PCB (& the mids, & "subs") pretty lame. Oops! Sorry. I hope this doesn't ignite mudslinging, er, debate.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    ...it'll be a bit more serious than this one.
    LOL! Can't wait to see serious if this isn't! Is your CC next?

Another side note: do your 'A7 mid & subs share the same space? That is, no divider between them?

Thanks for indulging me.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    Side note: did you retain any of the stock Polk wire?

Yes, all the wire from the crossover to the drivers is stock. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. Compared to the crossover upgrades it would be a minimal improvement at best.
    Is your CC next?

The center channel was done at the same time in the same fashion. One of the pics shows it. I did the surrounds at a later date.
    do your 'A7 mid & subs share the same space? That is, no divider between them?

Yes, they all do.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Just realized after all this time that I made a mistake in the thread title. It should have been RTiA7 and CSiA6.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Ken, thanks for fixing the title.

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    Ok(!) on thread title correction!!

Since you've dissected both XOs*, your take on the accuracy of the web site's listed frequencies?
    'A6 - 2.2K
    'A7 - 2.7K

Thx, tony
  • F1nut
    Can't say I paid any attention to that.

President of Club Polk