A slightly different take on the Dreadnought

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited January 2013
    GlennDog wrote: »
    just to be clear . . you've got a 1KVA tranny on its way? . . . . . cuz I've got a spare, thoughts?

G

Rickfromaz is sending me one. Well he said he is..LOL!! If something falls through I will hit you up if that's ok?
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2013
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2013
    Deleted as that pic was blurry.

:cool:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2013
    Making a statement, eh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited February 2013
    LOL!!

I figured since I'm putting yours together that I might as well do mine..
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited December 2013
    All the talk of these Neutrik Speakon connectors is sinking in. I'm getting ready to build new wiring harnesses for my 4.1TL's using Cardas Litz wire, so this is an ideal time to revisit these Speakon connectors.

My Dreadnaught is built with Larry's original case, using Cardas binding posts. Frank at Signal Cable built cables for me to use with the Dreadnaught where one end is terminated with two bananas, the other end is terminated with a banana on the + and a spade on the -. On my 4.1 binding post cups, I replaced the SDA connector with a single Cardas binding post, and I connect the + banana to that post. Then I connect the - spade to the - speaker post, and the - from the amp is connected to that same post with a banana. So my - terminal has both a banana connection from the amp and a spade connection from the Dreadnaught.

When I build the new wiring harnesses, I am going to use a replacement metal binding post plate from Trey in place of the stock plastic binding post cup. So this is the ideal time to be looking at using the Speakon connector. I don't really see a need to use the Speakons on the Dreadnaught side of the connection, I would leave the Dreadnaught alone and continue using bananas to connect. It's the spade connection on the speaker side that I really wouldn't mind getting rid of, since as Jesse says, it always comes loose. So what I'm looking to do is replace the binding post in place of the SDA connector with a Speakon, and re-terminate the speaker end of the cables from Signal with Speakon. So one end of those cables would be banana/banana, the other end would be Speakon. Then on the inside of the binding post plate I would short the - of the Speakon chassis connector to the - speaker terminal using the Cardas Litz.

I like the idea of a right angle connection at the speaker for added strain relief, so I am looking to use these on the cables. They only come in 4-pole, so I would just use two of the four poles:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/spx-series/nl4frx

Then I would need a 4-pole chassis connector, and only use two poles. I'm thinking this is the one I want, correct?

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors/nl4mp

Jesse, it also looks like you used the gaskets for the chassis connectors, correct? I like the look of them:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors-accessories/scdp

I'm going to ping Trey to have a look at this thread, hopefully he has the template to drill out the Speakon connector, and I can send him back the plates to re-drill.

Merry Christmas!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2013
    The small connectors are a pain in the **** to drill out a perfect hole. Use these instead: http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors/nl4mpr Drill out a 1" hole and you have plenty of room for a gasket.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    I think Trey has templates for the drill outs, let me wait to hear back from him. Thanks for the tip, though.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited December 2013
    My plates are predrilled for speak on connectors and the two corresponding holes, no gasket needed.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited December 2013
    Noob question, why is a massive transformer needed?? And what does it do when run inline with the speaker wires?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2013
    Noob question, why is a massive transformer needed?? And what does it do when run inline with the speaker wires?

creates common ground for non-common ground devices for SDA's...
    Not all SDA's benefit from this device.
    some use it on common ground devices to get greater SDA effect.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Trey, if you recall the ones you sent me were drilled for three binding posts. If I sent them back to you, could you drill a wider hole for the speakon post plus the mounting screws?
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2013
    "some use it on common ground devices to get greater SDA effect." With this being true is there any benefit to the A-1 Dreadnought with use of a common ground amp? Also, I have heard the A-1 Dreadnought cannot be used on earlier SDA-SRS (blade-blade) such as mine and now that I have all of the parts ready to assemble am I barking up the wrong tree? Do I sell off the parts or install new crossovers ...already have modified crossovers installed.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I use mine with a common ground amp. Many of us jumped on the Dreadnaught bandwagon after DK did a write up about improvements he found. I definitely noticed big improvements when I started using it versus a straight cable.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2013
    I have yet to install my new binding post plates, and use my other dreadnought with the speak on's..

I should get off my ****..
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    Unfortunately I am not set up to do that type of modification to the plate with CNC accuracy without additional cost. I can enlarge the hole and apply additional holes for the mount but you will need a gasket most likely...

Shoot me an email vr3mods@gmail.com about this and lets see what we can work out...
  • F1nut
    edited December 2013
    I like the idea of a right angle connection at the speaker for added strain relief,

Not needed at all. Those MIT Shotgun cables I'm using are massive and weigh quite a bit. I've got zero issues. Your Signal cables will be fine with the straight connector.

And what does it do when run inline with the speaker wires?

The isolation transformer does not run inline with the speaker cables. It is used with the SDA cable.

Also, I have heard the A-1 Dreadnought cannot be used on earlier SDA-SRS (blade-blade) such as mine and now that I have all of the parts ready to assemble am I barking up the wrong tree?

Wrong tree, it can't be used with blade/blade SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited December 2013
    I got the new plates from Trey to replace the cups and he had predrilled for the speakon connectors on the plates and the fit was perfect. So the new plate with it drilled for four binding post and the speakon connectors was perfect and I used Speakons on my Dreadnaught too. These are really clean and with the locking feature is perfect for this use.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Inspector 24
    edited December 2013
    I think this starts to explain it, but I'm still a bit mystified.

Kind of like saying a turbocharger makes more power, but I've no idea how it actually works.

Maybe I need a ground up technical explanation? Maybe a thread jack?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    creates common ground for non-common ground devices for SDA's...
    Not all SDA's benefit from this device.
    some use it on common ground devices to get greater SDA effect.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• F1nut
    edited December 2013
    Maybe I need a ground up technical explanation?

It provides superior ground isolation for the SDA drivers.

President of Club Polk

• Inspector 24
    edited December 2013
    Ah ha! Ground isolation between left and right channels? From the amp?

Do SDA's have something like this from the factory and this is just a massive external upgrade or an add on?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• zane77
    edited December 2013
    The SDA's need a common ground amp in order for the dimensional drivers to work. For those of us with non-common ground amps this is a way to get the signal to the dimensional drivers. Polk accomplished this with the AI-1 interface cable that included a much smaller transformer than the Dreadnaught transformer. People have reported improved sound using the Dreadnaught with common ground amps, I can't comment on that as my BAT is non-common ground.
    Home Theater
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2013
    I use the 1000VA dreadnought with my common ground amp, and the improvement is not subtle. I can highly recommended this tweak.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited December 2013
    I have the Polk standard interface interconnect on my 1.2s. It was a noticeable upgrade soundwise from the standard non interface connector using my common ground amp. I'm thinking it'll be a worthwhile upgrade going from the Polk standard to the dreadnought. That's something that I'm really hoping to do someday.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2013
    drumminman wrote: »
    i use the 1000va dreadnought with my common ground amp, and the improvement is not subtle. I can highly recommended this tweak.

this ^^^^^^^^
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    Not needed at all. Those MIT Shotgun cables I'm using are massive and weigh quite a bit. I've got zero issues. Your Signal cables will be fine with the straight connector.

Ok so in that case, what I need is 2 each of:

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2fx-speakon-connector-2-pole-cable-mount--092-198

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2mp-speakon-connector-2-pole-panel-mount--092-059

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-scdp-0-sealing-gasket-for-d-size-connectors-black--092-094

Correct?

Do the chassis connectors include the screws I'll need?

Appreciate all the advice!
  • zane77
    edited December 2013
    The neutrick connectors do not come with the scews you need to mount them to the chassis, Home Depot or Lowe's will have all the hardware the\at you need.
    Home Theater
    Two Channel
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Ah easy enough.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Those are the correct parts though?