Iphone 5C and 5S

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
edited October 2013 in The Clubhouse
Anyone see the keynote?
Looks to be a pretty awesome line up of new phones. The 5C is pretty cool and I can see girls going crazy over the new cool colors. Good price and nice at 32g.
The new S model seems to be pretty powerful and forward thinking. I think this might be the next upgrade as I'm still rockin a 4S.

I actually like how Apple does the upgrade process. Subtle, keep it the same in many way and then upgrade what feels to be the next step. Instead of rushing out tons of new features and changing everything radically, they do everything close to home.

What do you think?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My wife has the 4S and enjoys it. I'm running a non smart phone but would consider the new c model if you can use it without a data plan just for the better camera phone option and apple user friendliness.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Don't think you'll be able to get the 5c at a subsidized price without a data contract.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I have a 5 and think I'm probably going to wait to upgrade.

Personally, I'm at the point of diminishing returns with smartphones. Really, I can't think of much I'd do with the 5S that I can't do with my 5. I guess I'm a pretty basic user.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I've had my iphone 4 for Pretty close to 3 years now. Could even be longer, upgraded to that about 3 or 4 months after it came out. Just really didn't see anything exiting about the newer versions. May finally consider a newer versions once some feedback comes in on these newer models. Pricing seems a little better than is usually the case.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing where the price of an unlocked 4s goes, used. As long as I can use it on ST I'd be happy with that. I love my Nexus 4 but its just way too bulky for me.
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Had a droid x then switched to the 4s so I've been on both sides of the fence.

I love the way apple integrates everything from the iPad to iPhone and Apple TV. For me iTunes Match is awesome for portability.

If it wasn't for those features I'd switch back to an android. So many features with the ability to customize.

This is just my personal opinion but to the OP, I dislike the modest updates. Apple was the leader in smartphones and now seems like they struggle to keep up with others. Seems to me like its management holding back what could be a great phone again.

I'm going to stick with my 4s till they take a huge step forward or my phone dies.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Something that stood out to me is the way Apple is approaching the camera on the new 5s. With other smartphone makers jumping on the Megapixel **** bandwagon and stuffing as many pixels on that tiny sensor as possible only to find very sub par image quality, Apple decided to go with quality over quantity. They left it at 8mp, yet during the keynote Phil Shiller specifically mentioned the larger pixels leading to much better dynamic range and far better overall image quality. There were a bunch of other technical specs related to photography that he went over as well.

Good on Apple for not caving to the Megapixel Whores and understanding that more is not necessarily better. 8mp is way plenty for most people.
    No excuses!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I like both of the new phones for what they are, and will be grabbing the 5S on release day just like I have the last 2 models. I think people expect too much from a phone upgrade, for the most part it's an iterative process with a handful of new features thrown in, that's just the way it usually works.

Honestly I'm not yet sold on the idea that I need a fingerprint reader, I had one on the Motorola Atrix and it never really worked all that well. Hopefully Apple will get it worked out. The faster CPU and 64 bit is appealing on paper, not sure how that'll translate to real world performance yet. The changes to the camera are the biggest deal for me. I still shoot my Nikon for serious photos, but I do use the camera on my phone quite a bit even when on vacation, I'll take every iterative bit of upgrading on the camera that they'll give me and that alone will keep me on the yearly upgrade path as long as there are improvements.

Agreed on the megapixel wars, and I'm glad Apple has chosen NOT to participate. Once you hit a certain number of MPs, pixel size and good optics have a much greater impact on photo quality.
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited September 2013
    Options
    So the iPhone 5C has a rubberized back that encompasses the entire phone, with a raised lip to protect the screen? WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?132871-Ever-have-problems-plugging-in-your-iPhone-in-the-dark&p=1774015&viewfull=1#post1774015

But of course I'm sure they'll be praised for the "innovation." And still no induction charging or the option for a hardware keyboard? Still not as perfect as a Palm Pixi.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2013
    Options
    WTF is a Palm Pixi??? You're aware that it's 2013, right?

I don't know where you're getting that the 5C has a rubberized back and a lip around the screen, may want to check your sources again on that. I believe what you're referring to is called a case, and they're made for lots of phones. The 5c is just a cheaper version of the current iPhone 5 made out of plastic.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I might upgrade to a 5S if Apple is giving a good trade-in for the 5. However, my 5 is black, and they don't offer that now. Grey is the only decent color, and that isn't as nice as black.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I tested a 4s and a 5 side by side with the same carrier.

Data on the 5 smokes the pants off of the 4s.

Web pages load with relatively blinding speed.

The 4s was my new phone, the 5 a friend's, and I was pretty pissed I'd not paid the extra $100 to upgrade to the 5.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Syndil
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I don't know where you're getting that the 5C has a rubberized back and a lip around the screen, may want to check your sources again on that. I believe what you're referring to is called a case, and they're made for lots of phones. The 5c is just a cheaper version of the current iPhone 5 made out of plastic.

Yep, you're right. The 5C has cheap-looking shiny plastic. All the pics I saw were with the case on, so I just assumed it was a part of the phone. So that's an even bigger miss.

• Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm in the minority. I had the 5 for about four months. I could not get used to typing on it. Drove me absolutely crazy. Hated that phone. Gave it to my wife and I switched back to a Blackberry. I only use my phone for three things. Talking to people, email (lots of it daily for business) and photos. I now have the Q10 and I could not be happier. Wife's a happy camper too. A win win all around I must say.

Hopefully Blackberry can survive. I will be bummed if I have to give up my keyboard.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm going to get my wife one..
  • Syndil
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    I'm in the minority. I had the 5 for about four months. I could not get used to typing on it. Drove me absolutely crazy. Hated that phone. Gave it to my wife and I switched back to a Blackberry. I only use my phone for three things. Talking to people, email (lots of it daily for business) and photos. I now have the Q10 and I could not be happier. Wife's a happy camper too. A win win all around I must say.

Hopefully Blackberry can survive. I will be bummed if I have to give up my keyboard.

Birds of a feather. If I could get the Q10 on my carrier, I'd have it. I get more and more pissed off at the lack of a keyboard on my phone every day. I've even taken to using Swiftkey, which has made things better, but it's still no substitute for an actual keyboard. A touchscreen is the opposite of ergonomic.

Still not as perfect as a Palm Pixi, though. Sigh...

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My 4s has served me well and continues to do so.

Cant wait for my 2 yr contract to expire next month so i can unlock and go prepaid!

Probably the last time i will do a 2 year contract with any provider for any phone!
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I've had the 4s and 5. I contemplated getting the 5s, but with the features now not terribly intriguing, I think I will go ahead and get the Note 3 + Gear for now.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Wife and I both have 4S's, the company supplies mine, but the wife's contract is up and she will probably upgrade if for no other reason to get slightly larger screen and 4G. I have a 4G hotspot, also company supplied so I really don't feel the need for an upgrade and I'm sure the company doesn't either. LOL
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    Birds of a feather. If I could get the Q10 on my carrier, I'd have it. I get more and more pissed off at the lack of a keyboard on my phone every day. I've even taken to using Swiftkey, which has made things better, but it's still no substitute for an actual keyboard. A touchscreen is the opposite of ergonomic.

Still not as perfect as a Palm Pixi, though. Sigh...

I hear you. I think Apple has a ways to go to catch up to BB in terms of their OS. BB10 is fantastic. I have the z10 and I am blown away by it everytime I use it. I find Apple has gone stale. Yes they sell more phones and have more apps but I don't care about that. I don't mind the v-keyboard on the Z. I thought at first no way but I really like flicking my words.
    But Apple is doing it right by offereing cheap phones to the masses, they will pick up lots of teens who will then later on move on and up on their S line.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nokia Lumia 920 for the win! ;-)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Im not quite understanding the new 5C? Seems to me, its the exact same as the current 5, but in a plastic case for a cheaper price. Why not just lower the price of the current 5 and call it a day?

The New 5S with the finger print reader... Sounds like NSA's DREAM come true! *SMH*

Also, it looks like the iPhone 6 is right around the corner, rumors are Jan 2014. Apple needs to pull its head out of its rear and get a bigger screen. Upping the processor speed and IOS layout, doesn't constitute much of a need to upgrade from the current 5.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Seems like wallstreet didn't think much of apple yesterday.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2013
    Options
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Im not quite understanding the new 5C? Seems to me, its the exact same as the current 5, but in a plastic case for a cheaper price. Why not just lower the price of the current 5 and call it a day?

The New 5S with the finger print reader... Sounds like NSA's DREAM come true! *SMH*

Also, it looks like the iPhone 6 is right around the corner, rumors are Jan 2014. Apple needs to pull its head out of its rear and get a bigger screen. Upping the processor speed and IOS layout, doesn't constitute much of a need to upgrade from the current 5.
    There are three reasons they don't lower the price of the current 5:

1 - It's more expensive to make than the 5C, materials labor and tooling are all more expensive on the current 5 than the plastic 5c.
    2 - They want to have a good distinction between the 5c and 5s. The 5s is their 'premium' phone with higher end materials and design features, simply slapping a 'c' on the current iPhone 5 would dilute the value of their current 5 and future 5s.
    3 - Probably most importantly, they wanted to be able to add some color to the phone lineup (think Moto X here) just like they did with their other iDevices before. While HTC has proven that this is possible with a metal phone via their new blue version of the One, it's much more practical with plastic.

Apple was adamant in their presentation that fingerprints are NOT stored on Apple servers or in iCloud, they pointed this out multiple times yesterday both in spoken and written language, very likely in anticipation of your comment.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. The 5C has cheap-looking shiny plastic. All the pics I saw were with the case on, so I just assumed it was a part of the phone. So that's an even bigger miss.
    LOL, too funny. It's not a miss, it's just not what YOU want. The market says that many people are fine with plastic phones, you seen Samsung sales lately? It also says that alot of people want phones with a more industrial design and premium materials, which is why their iPhone 5 and the HTC One have sold so well. So people want plastic phones with color options and metal phones with premium design and Apple now has both those covered, the market is NOT saying that people want phones with a rubberized surface. Clearly that's what YOU want and I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on your taste, but if that was important to anyone else then those phones would have sold better. But they didn't, because nobody cares.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Seems like wallstreet didn't think much of apple yesterday.
    Yep, typical response from the market on the last few iPhone launches. People aren't impressed at launch because Apple did not release a revolutionary phone that taps directly into your brain or whatever, same thing happened with the iPhone 5 launch last year. I'll be keeping an eye on my shares, but I tend not to get too nervous when this happens.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm a little disappointed. 27 posts and no mention of how Android is better than iOS? The ClubPolk I have grown to love is gone :(
    -Cody

(kidding btw.)
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Something that stood out to me is the way Apple is approaching the camera on the new 5s. With other smartphone makers jumping on the Megapixel **** bandwagon and stuffing as many pixels on that tiny sensor as possible only to find very sub par image quality, Apple decided to go with quality over quantity. They left it at 8mp, yet during the keynote Phil Shiller specifically mentioned the larger pixels leading to much better dynamic range and far better overall image quality. There were a bunch of other technical specs related to photography that he went over as well.

Good on Apple for not caving to the Megapixel Whores and understanding that more is not necessarily better. 8mp is way plenty for most people.

THIS!!!

Know what the best camera in the world is? The one that's in your hand when Miranda Kerr's dress falls off. Better hope it takes decent pictures. I see the camera part as one of the most telling in all the specs. A camera phone will never replace a DSLR, but if you can get the quality even with the average P&S, you've always got a camera on you that you can have out & snapping in about 5 seconds. As long as the lighting is good, this will cover a lot of situations.

Apple is taking the camera seriously and I hope this continues.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Syndil
    edited September 2013
    Options
    LOL, too funny. It's not a miss, it's just not what YOU want. The market says that many people are fine with plastic phones, you seen Samsung sales lately? It also says that alot of people want phones with a more industrial design and premium materials, which is why their iPhone 5 and the HTC One have sold so well. So people want plastic phones with color options and metal phones with premium design and Apple now has both those covered, the market is NOT saying that people want phones with a rubberized surface. Clearly that's what YOU want and I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on your taste, but if that was important to anyone else then those phones would have sold better. But they didn't, because nobody cares.

When Apple does finally realize that I'm right and puts a rubberized surface on their phone (and includes induction charging along with it), I'm serving up a big "I told you so," followed by "Palm did it first," and a link to this thread.

It's coming.

And of course everyone will praise Apple for the innovation. :rolleyes:

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Dumb was Nokia 1020 41 mp with no memory card slot. Great camera & super big file size and duplicate smaller fie but limited room to store.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.