Two PAIRS of Carver Platinums in a Sunfire!

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
edited August 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My latest challenge is the restoration of two pairs of Carver ALS Platinum speakers. They are largely intact, but in rather poor shape, and missing the ribbons, but all the other essentials are there. They were transported home in one trip in the back and on the roof of my little Pontiac Sunfire, with the truck CLOSED!:cheesygrin:

The plan is to completely upgrade the look and performance of the speakers with new crossovers, veneer and granite bases, with other tweeks to make them a perfect match to my amps. This should be fun...

a few pics...
plats in a Sunfire 011.jpg
plats in a Sunfire 010.jpg
plats in a Sunfire 012.jpg
plats in a Sunfire 013.jpg
plats in a Sunfire 014.jpg
plats in a Sunfire 019.jpg

Thank GOD I got them for the princely sum if 5 bucks worth of rope and an hour's worth of my time, because these babies would be nothing but a money pit otherwise.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by nooshinjohn on

Comments

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited August 2013
    Nice find, it'll be cool to see you bring these guys back to life. Good luck!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2013
    Damn John! This musta been what you were calling about today :smile:. Will call you back later....

Ps I bet you driving down the highway looked like that farmers commercial with the station wagon and mattress lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2013
    Next time buy a hatchback :razz:. But yea looks like a cool project, are parts still out there?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2013
    I googled Carver Amazing images and this is what popped up....and her pair don't look anything like yours.:eek:
    Carver Amazing.JPG

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2010/07/jordan-carver-and-tkc-morning.html

Cool project...will these take as long as your amps:razz:....You do have a job now.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    Damn... there's a lot of boobage getting bounced around these days...:biggrin:

These are going to be a lot of fun. I am starting to research the best way to redo the crossovers and source some new 12's. The ribbons are going to be a nightmare it would seem.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2013
    Damn... there's a lot of boobage getting bounced around these days...:biggrin:

These are going to be a lot of fun. I am starting to research the best way to redo the crossovers and source some new 12's. The ribbons are going to be a nightmare it would seem.

John look at minidsp. It's a active crossover you can program with a laptop so you can truly tweak things.

They are cheap and IIRC some of the Carver guys are using them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2013
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    DSkip wrote: »
    I wish I had the ability to rehab speakers like that. Future karma? :cheesygrin:

If someone wants to come and grab a pair, they are welcome to them. I may end up junking a pair to restore the other. I don't want to do that, but it will likely be far too expensive to do both. I am thinking I will have two grand in the first pair before they play a note.

If that was the price for a PAIR.. I would be pleased, but they are out of the budget.

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited August 2013
    Nice project John!

yeah I googled them and found these....
    i_4316_amazing-yoga-classes-by-jordan-carver.jpg
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited August 2013
    Nice find John! Good luck with the restoration. I assume you know already, but a guy on the carver forum at least used to have an inventory of original ribbons. Name was something like toymaker, iirc.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    Big Dawg wrote: »
    Nice find John! Good luck with the restoration. I assume you know already, but a guy on the carver forum at least used to have an inventory of original ribbons. Name was something like toymaker, iirc.
    LOL... I plan to call him but can't find his number.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2013
    If that was the price for a PAIR.. I would be pleased, but they are out of the budget.
    Keep an eye on DIYAudio and Parts Express's classified sections, they pop up there from time to time. I guess upgraded woofers would be out of the question too? http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2013
    Angelo on the Carver forum has a pair of rebuilt 60' ribbons for sale and new OEM surrounds are now available on eBay. Otherwise, Dynavox sells the complete woofer for about $30.00 to $40.00 when they run a sale.

Your biggest problem is going to be figuring out a way to securely attach the marble bases to the MDF panel as even the original bases will rip out in a heartbeat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2013
    A couple of nice pairs indeed!!
    Carl

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2013
    There is a set of Amazings (Not the Platinums) for sale on the Ventura CL but the ad list Kingsburg, Ca as a location??? $700 http://ventura.craigslist.org/ele/3942277929.html
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    Angelo on the Carver forum has a pair of rebuilt 60' ribbons for sale and new OEM surrounds are now available on eBay. Otherwise, Dynavox sells the complete woofer for about $30.00 to $40.00 when they run a sale.

Your biggest problem is going to be figuring out a way to securely attach the marble bases to the MDF panel as even the original bases will rip out in a heartbeat.

I am going to double the thickness of the back of the panels and extent that up about 18 inches. The granite base will have threaded steel rods that will slide inside sleeves bored into the bottom of the speakers. This will allow me to remove the panels and move them out of the room if needed. the crossovers will be housed in a case on the back that looks like my transformer covers on the amps..

The frames will feature a finish like this...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2013
    Well ok, I stand corrected.....LOL

I can picture what you're saying and I like your plan.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    Deeper investigation reveals these to possibly be original ALS and probably not Plats, though outside of the 60 inch ribbons instead of two 30" units, I am not really seeing much difference between the two.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited August 2013
    The original had 2X30" ribbons and different woofers then what you have in yours. They had a silver honeycomb sort of look to the woofers.

The original with the 2 30" ribbons were also not as easy to drive, would dip to 1 ohm at times, and not as efficient as the plats were. The crossover was also different.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2013
    Great score! Consider an active crossover on one pair. Not a new idea, IIRC Rudi Blianca was the first to do this back around 2000. There are folks in the Carver community that do this and agree. If you go with exotic caps the cost of refurbing the passives will be high. I'm remembering there was one high value cap that really drove up the cost.

Do you have a Carver loudspeaker service manual? I can shoot you a copy if you like. It covers the Amazing, Silver and Platinum.

The manual is handy in that it tells you the woofers in the Silver and Platinum are wired out of phase in respect to the red and black leads from xover. Another common error, even from the factory was reversing the phase of the lower two woofers. The top two were mounted terminals pointing down, the lower two terminals point up; they would connect positive to negative terminal in the lower woofers.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Unbelievable price even if they are all in pieces and need work. Carver Amazings are really something when it comes to reproducing a symphonic hall--so airy and spacious, full sounding--an almost I'm there experience!

Sounds like a fun but taxing project. Yeah, the ribbons are the biggest nightmare as I understand it. But looks like there are some options above. Look forward to the rehab thread!

Have fun! I'm certainly incapable of such work! But I love watching!

One more question. Is Bob a "boob" man?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited August 2013
    Congrats on what look like a terrible set of Amazings... :mrgreen:
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2013
    Looking forward to seeing how you bring these back to life.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    cnh wrote: »

One more question. Is Bob a "boob" man?

cnh

Just like most of us, he has never seen a pair he didn't like.:mrgreen:

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    SComp... thanks man, I will take you up on that offer. PM sent.

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    zingo wrote: »
    Congrats on what look like TWO terrible set of Amazings... :mrgreen:

Fixed... If I can get one beautifully restored, sexy as hell, and perfectly performing set from them, it will be amazing!:mrgreen:

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2013
    DSkip wrote: »
    So does this project supersede your LSiM-SDA build?

Not really.. I am still working on drawings for the cabinets and such. This is more of a diversion and experimenting with modding an existing design into a more modern form. The experience gained here can only help the other project along.

Having just gone back to work after almost a year, the funding for the SRS/M is just not there yet.

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2013
    LSiM-SDA build will be interesting to say the least
    Not really.. I am still working on drawings for the cabinets and such. This is more of a diversion and experimenting with modding an existing design into a more modern form. The experience gained here can only help the other project along.

Having just gone back to work after almost a year, the funding for the SRS/M is just not there yet.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Sorry to revive this, but I picked up a pair of Amazings today and they're mismatched. One has 2x30" ribbons (yellow) and one has 1x60" silver. Both have they honeycomb woofers.

The 2x30" ribbons are very muted. The woofers don't seem to play at the same level. It looks like someone messed with the crossovers and they're not wired correctly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the crossover?
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    Amazing Jordan Carvers :p
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.