Wtf!!!!! Really????

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2013
    PSOVLSK; do you really need a lecture from school officials on what type of snack is appropriate?

In the "old" days, parents/teachers worked as a team. Niether of which would step on the others toes, in terms of being respectful to each others "mission." Parents stayed out of the teachers primary scope/duties; and teachers stayed out of personal parental decisions. Not so today. Today, the control freaks at the school wish to force-feed their beliefs onto your child, with or without your permission, opinion on the topic, or blessing.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited April 2013
    steveinaz wrote: »
    PSOVLSK; do you really need a lecture from school officials on what type of snack is appropriate?

I don't, but unfortunately some parents do. They don't know how to tell their child "no" so the kid rolls in with a Snickers and Coke for snack time. To be honest, the school having the rule should make it easier on parents.

I've seen a kid at my sons school bring about 12-15 Oreos for dessert. What kind of parent sends their 1st grader that many Oreos? And I saw one kid with a lunch that consisted of Cheetos, fruit snacks, and cookies. Really???

As I said before, the school has to look out for the best interest of ALL kids, not just mine.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2013
    So my grand children should be subject to lunch "inspection" because other parents fail miserably? Wow. Again, your acceptance/justification of this is mind-boggling to me. Since when do we as parents, need to explain ourselves to a public school system that WE pay for? If your school felt "vegetarian" was the way to go, and only allowed vegetarian lunches---would you have a problem with that? By what you've put forth so far, it appears you wouldn't.....?

Sounds like to me, you want everyone to "comply" and be dictated to, because a few are behind the curve. Identify those parents individually, and deal with it on a 1 on 1 basis in a respectful manner.

What kind of message does it send to our kids, when the school "corrects" us as parents---in a blantant manner? The message is, mommy & daddy aren't to be trusted, and they are not the final authority in my life. This country doesn't need anymore of THAT kind of BS. Keep willingly handing over your authority as a parent, then justifying it to yourself, the government will gladly accommodate you. Like I said, SCARY.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    edited April 2013
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Maybe what we need to do is cut 300 BILLION out of FOREIGN AID spending and put it directly into schools, building better ones, shrinking classrooms, and giving the teachers the tools and help they need to operate a classroom properly.

Fixed it for ya.:wink:
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2013
    ^Bravo.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2013
    Good luck cutting 300 billion from foreign aid when it's entire budget is 50 billion a year. :rolleyes:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet_department_state/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • David R
    David R Posts: 134
    edited April 2013
    Time to visit the school and get involved. First find out the other side's story without accusing anyone. No reason to go off half cocked. If they did overstep their bounds firmly let them know that that is inappropiate.
    Panasonic 65" Plasma - Panasonic Blu-ray. Onkyo TX-NR809 RTi A7s fronts - MK CS150s surronds.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2013
    David R wrote: »
    Time to visit the school and get involved. First find out the other side's story without accusing anyone. No reason to go off half cocked. If they did overstep their bounds firmly let them know that that is inappropiate.

True....but in the end what are you going to do about it if you disagree ? Pull your kid from that school ? They don't care, they still get your money. See, you can stomp your feet all you want about whats appropriate or not, they'll just listen and keep doing what they do. They always want to give you the impression they are concerned and value the parents input, but in reality they must keep going with whats been told to them to do. You as the parent are removed from the equation of whats taught to your kid.

Don't even look at the recent push for Common core, not if you don't want to have a good day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2013
    This mindset is where it all comes from... North Korea is far more advanced on this path than we are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qtpdSQox0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited April 2013
    So my grand children should be subject to lunch "inspection" because other parents fail miserably? Wow. Again, your acceptance/justification of this is mind-boggling to me. Since when do we as parents, need to explain ourselves to a public school system that WE pay for? If your school felt "vegetarian" was the way to go, and only allowed vegetarian lunches---would you have a problem with that? By what you've put forth so far, it appears you wouldn't.....?

Sounds like to me, you want everyone to "comply" and be dictated to, because a few are behind the curve. Identify those parents individually, and deal with it on a 1 on 1 basis in a respectful manner.

What kind of message does it send to our kids, when the school "corrects" us as parents---in a blantant manner? The message is, mommy & daddy aren't to be trusted, and they are not the final authority in my life. This country doesn't need anymore of THAT kind of BS. Keep willingly handing over your authority as a parent, then justifying it to yourself, the government will gladly accommodate you. Like I said, SCARY.

Amazing that this thread has gone on for 2 pages. I don't even know what the OP was trying to accomplish by posting this story.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • PSOVLSK
    edited April 2013

PSOVLSK wrote: »

If his daughter was truly just not allowed to eat chips, I'd definitely have a problem with that as a parent. I wouldn't just accept it and tell my kid, "Sorry, no more chips."

This quote makes it seem as though I would go right along with vegetarian lunches?

As far as handling it on an individual basis. Here's how it works at my son's school: Teacher sends note at beginning of year informing parents that the class will have a small snack during the day. Teacher requests that the snack be something healthy that can be eaten without utensils and can be eaten in less than 10 minutes. I send my kid a "healthy" snack...no problem. Again, I fail to see why I wouldn't want to send my kid a healthy snack. Just to show the school I can? To help him become obese? So he will be my buddy?

The bolded part is fairly unnecessary and totally inaccurate. You make this judgement of my parenting skills based on the posts I've made in this thread. That's scary.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited April 2013
    jwhitakr wrote: »
    Amazing that this thread has gone on for 2 pages. I don't even know what the OP was trying to accomplish by posting this story.

Because if things really did happen as described by his kid, it's total BS & I'd be having words with the school as well. Are chips a healthy food, not really, but to deny them as part of an otherwise normal lunch is not something the school should have any say in.

OP, have you talked to the school & gotten their side of the story?
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited April 2013
    Your dismissal/acceptance of this is SCARY. Good luck.
    I think jon knows his child, even a six year old, and whether to trust them in this situation.

And because many parents do anything is not a reason for the state to take any individual parents rights away......in a truly free country.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • PSOVLSK
    edited April 2013
    I think jon knows his child, even a six year old, and whether to trust them in this situation.

And because many parents do anything is not a reason for the state to take any individual parents rights away......in a truly free country.

I know my kids, but that doesn't mean they are always right. I don't think his kid is lying, just possible that things are not as she thinks they are in her 6 year old world. As I've already said, if her version of the event is what really happened I'd be at the school having a conversation. Can't bring chips for lunch? That's crazy.
  • jon1redleg
    jon1redleg Posts: 242
    edited April 2013
    WOW did not think this would happen!

No we didn't talk to any teacher yet, we thought we give it another day and see what went on that day.
    The lunch lady that told her she couldn't eat chips was not there today so dont know.

I wanted to pack the same bag of chips but my daughter started to cry beacsue she didn't want to get in trouble
    for haveing them again. ( just wanted to test the waters with lunch lady )

My daughter also refused us to pack a granola bar in her luch bag because it had a few chocolate chips in it.

So with that being said... is she not telling us the whole truth? is it because she did'nt have time or ran out of it?
    I think the fear of gettting in trouble speak for itself!

My daughters have never drank a soft drink yet ones 12 and the other is 6, it's water or milk and very very limited sugar drinks.
    They do not eat too much junk food ( I do not really allow it, HOLLOWEEN CANDY and other go with me to work and get left out
    on break room table for whomever to eat )

There lunches for school are an Sandwich, water, a fruit or yogurt cup and yes a zip lock bag of chips ie.. sun chips, pretzels,
    corn chip. we buy a reg size bag of one r the other and it last 2 weeks between the two of them.

Any way didn't think it would go to pages either.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited April 2013
    Never fails... more and more lately every time I come on this site I find someone slamming someone or voicing ludicrous allegations towards people for the stupidest of things. And this is before I get to the end to voice my comment!

I've decided not to add my 2 cents because some of you are ignorant.

Keep it up folks!
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2013
    Kind of reminds me of the Peanut allergy going around and my wife telling me we can't send my son who LOVES "peanut butter" sandwiches to school because some kids could get very sick or die from it..
    Well for the 5 kids that have that allergy MAYBE have them eat lunch in the office or somewhere else..
    Next they will say NO Milk or Apples because of an allergy some kid has..
    I remember my son would come home with half his lunch not eaten, he told me they did not have enough time which was partly true and his mouth kept talking through lunch..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • PSOVLSK
    edited April 2013
    jon1redleg wrote: »
    WOW did not think this would happen!

No we didn't talk to any teacher yet, we thought we give it another day and see what went on that day.
    The lunch lady that told her she couldn't eat chips was not there today so dont know.

I wanted to pack the same bag of chips but my daughter started to cry beacsue she didn't want to get in trouble
    for haveing them again. ( just wanted to test the waters with lunch lady )

My daughter also refused us to pack a granola bar in her luch bag because it had a few chocolate chips in it.

So with that being said... is she not telling us the whole truth? is it because she did'nt have time or ran out of it?
    I think the fear of gettting in trouble speak for itself!

My daughters have never drank a soft drink yet ones 12 and the other is 6, it's water or milk and very very limited sugar drinks.
    They do not eat too much junk food ( I do not really allow it, HOLLOWEEN CANDY and other go with me to work and get left out
    on break room table for whomever to eat )

There lunches for school are an Sandwich, water, a fruit or yogurt cup and yes a zip lock bag of chips ie.. sun chips, pretzels,
    corn chip. we buy a reg size bag of one r the other and it last 2 weeks between the two of them.

Any way didn't think it would go to pages either.

With this information I'd say it sounds as though the lunch lady messed up. It's April and chips are all of a sudden not allowed? Doesn't make much sense. When you say "lunch lady" is it a school employee or a volunteer who monitors lunch?

Either way, I'd have a talk with the teacher/principal and see what's going on.
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited April 2013
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Well for the 5 kids that have that allergy MAYBE have them eat lunch in the office or somewhere else..
    Iam sure that segregation is the answer for all kids that are different.
    My daughter has peanut allergies putting her in an office by herself was not an option.
    I also like how people are always ignorant when they do not see things your way.
  • Jhayman
    edited April 2013
    Well there has to be something done other than banning everything that kids are allergic too..
    How about another lunch room?
    How would you feel about Milk being banned or Orange juice or salad because of an allergy?
    I'm very Sorry your daughter has this allergy, I've also read a lot about it and it's said most kids grow out of it and don't even know they have..
    drselect wrote: »
    My daughter has peanut allergies putting her in an office by herself was not an option.
    I also like how people are always ignorant when they do not see things your way.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • tonyb
    edited April 2013
    drselect wrote: »

Under certain circumstances, yes, you need to seperate those with certain conditions. I believe most have a problem with forcing the majority to change for the benefit of the one. For instance, say a child is allergic to grass, which some are. Should the whole class not be allowed to play on the grass ?

Look, obviously you want any child with any condition to be as inclusive as possible, and that should be the case. It however doesn't mean that you should take the simple route and just ban that activity or food item for all students. The 2 sides are hitting the extremes here. Nobody wants to lock a kid with a peanut allergy in a closet at lunch time and nobody wants to be that insensitive to say too bad, deal with it. What maybe can happen is a seperate classroom used for lunches with kids that have certain allergies, and instill hand washing to the other kids after lunch so as not to contaminate the room all the kids will return to. They can still all play and learn together, just not eat together.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited April 2013
    Successful schooling is a 2-way street; parents need to ensure their kids know the basics, have MANNERS, and good discipline; Teachers need to ensure they TEACH---not politicize, step in as surrogate parent, or disrespect the parent by going against their established norms. I spent most of my elementary school life taking a sandwich, chips and an orange for lunch, along with 10 cents for 2 milks. I'm not damaged in any way. This is just more of the same "programming" that goes on (and for some reason we ALLOW it to go on) in our public school system. This whole concept of "we know better than you, whats best for your child" pulls the rug of respect, right out from under parents, and should not be tolerated. It's none of anyones goddam business, what I send my child to school with, for lunch.

TAXPAYERS, take CHARGE of these schools. You pay for them, so ensure that material is being presented in a factual, unbiased manner. INSIST that school staff remain out of your personal business, life, choices, and decisions. Get involved, and get other like-minded parents to rally around the cause as well.

Agreed Steve, but if you've ever gone to a school board meeting in todays age, it's a very hostile environment. Parents express their concerns, the school board does a Fred Astair tap dance and politely says "stfu and sit down". Yes we pay for the schools, but thats where it ends. Thats where they want it to end too. Open your eye's folks to what is being pushed at your kids.

On another note, seems many college kids didn't even know who Margaret Thatcher was. They knew of Hugo Chavez, but not the Iron Lady and first and only woman PM of Britian. Is history lost ? Or are teachers just being selective on what parts of history are deemed worthy ? Or....could it be she was a conservative and those beliefs don't align well with school districts teachings so we'll just forget that part of history ?

Just my opinion of course, but from where I sit schools have morfed into a form of indoctrination of one ideology, a brainwashing of sorts while removing the parent from any input. Is it so much to ask for schools to teach the basics without politics, agendas, and actually listen to parents ? God knows these kids will get enough of politics and agendas when they hit the higher learning institutions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2013
    How would you feel about Milk being banned or Orange juice or salad because of an allergy?

Banning milk would be a good thing.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Jhayman
    edited April 2013
    :rolleyes:
    ^^^
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2013
    This lunch lady, does she have a mustache?:lol:

The-Soup-Nazi.jpg
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    True....but in the end what are you going to do about it if you disagree ? Pull your kid from that school ? They don't care, they still get your money. See, you can stomp your feet all you want about whats appropriate or not, they'll just listen and keep doing what they do. They always want to give you the impression they are concerned and value the parents input, but in reality they must keep going with whats been told to them to do. You as the parent are removed from the equation of whats taught to your kid.

Don't even look at the recent push for Common core, not if you don't want to have a good day.

You get a Doctor's note authorizing the eating of chips for a SALT DEFICIENCY that is LIFE THREATENING!

Problem solved. We live in a community of experts and laws boys. USE THEM to YOUR advantage!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2013
    Food allergies have been around forever, so what is different today? Why all of a sudden do we need a new solution, or to ban certain foods because a minority of children are allergic? I, myself had some food allergies---so I didn't eat those foods, this isn't rocket science.

My beef is with the invasiveness of schools, that steps on the toes of parents and their authority. Teachers should teach, parents should parent; and never the 2 shall cross. Stay out of my business as a parent, and I'll stay out of your business as a teacher. It's called "Mutual Respect".
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2013
    Drenis wrote: »
    Never fails... more and more lately every time I come on this site I find someone slamming someone or voicing ludicrous allegations towards people for the stupidest of things. And this is before I get to the end to voice my comment!

I've decided not to add my 2 cents because some of you are ignorant.

Keep it up folks!

Never fails...that lately everytime there is a spirited debate on topics such as these, you start the name calling. Is anyones' opinion that doesn't align with yours "ignorant?" Maybe some self-reflection is in order?

There's a bigger picture here, than a bag of chips. It has to do with school interference with home up-bringing, and school "authorities" who arrogantly think they know better than parents, how to raise a child. This whole idea of "we're gonna treat all you parents like imbeciles, because a few are" doesn't wash with me, and I didn't tolerate it when my children were school age, and I don't think current parents should be tolerating it either.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited April 2013
    I dunno....this all stinks of a government conspiracy of public schools to push their health agenda on our kids.
    Who are they to impose thier nutrition-based ideologies on us? When does it all end???
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2013
    Do you need to be told what your children should eat? Wait, let me re-phrase that....Do you like being told what your child will eat?