Best LIVE album recorded albums you've heard.

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    shack wrote: »
    And what does any of this have to do with a well recorded live album?

I just wondered...since that is what this thread is about.

Looks like some kind of spam to me.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2010
    Looks like some kind of spam to me.

Looks a little more like thorazine from this angle.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Looks a little more like thorazine from this angle.

. . . or the lack thereof.
  • thall
    thall Posts: 25
    edited February 2010
    From my vinyl -
    Woodstock
    Todd Rundgren - Back to the Bars
    Yes - Yes Songs
    The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya-Ya's Out
    Playboy Jazz Festival (circa 1982)

On CD -
    Eels - Live With Strings
    Simon and Garfunkel - Live 1969
    Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
    T. Monk and J. Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

On DVD -
    U2 - Go Home
    thall

I know what I like and I like what I know.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited February 2010
    i like 'silver bullet live'. that put bob seger on the map.

the live parts of santana's 'moonflower' are great

dire straits. live @ bbc ( i think) great stuff there too

van morrison..'a night in sanfrancisco"

David gilmour 'live in gdansk' and 'remember that night'
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    Mike's post above reminded me of an awesome one I had forgotten about..

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia Friday Night in San Francisco
    Mind blowing great guitar played live

Paco%20De%20Lucia,%20John%20McLaughlin%20&%20Al%20Di%20Meola_Friday%20Night%20In.jpg
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    thall wrote: »
    From my vinyl -
    Woodstock
    Todd Rundgren - Back to the Bars
    Yes - Yes Songs
    The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya-Ya's Out
    Playboy Jazz Festival (circa 1982)

On CD -
    Eels - Live With Strings
    Simon and Garfunkel - Live 1969
    Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
    T. Monk and J. Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

On DVD -
    U2 - Go Home

I have Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison" on vinyl and it is excellent.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2010
    I have Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison" on vinyl and it is excellent.

Well to continue that theme ....... BB King Live at the Cook County Jail!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited February 2010
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Richard Thompson - Live from Austin TX. Nicely recorded and a great mix of songs and acoustic and electric guitar.

Glad to see this one included amongst the list...one of my personal favorites.

Have seen Richard perform at least twenty five times and never miss a show when the opportunity arises, guitar master extraordinaire! He's cool to party with too!
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for this thread. I am new to music videos and I have just watched Heart alive in Seattle and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have just finished tweaking our system with the new Oppo bdp83se and I now have a new appreciation for music sacd. This thread is going to provide a lot of new experiences in music. I grew up during the 60's and have always been a rocker with a blues bent. Clapton to ZZ top and Stevie Ray have been my favorites but have always appreciated great acoustic work. I am looking forward to Friday Night in San Francisco. Like I said this thread is going to be fun to play with....Thanks guys!
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2010
    Great thread! I headed over to Amazon to make some purchases. Why is the Alison Kraus live at Union station SACD so dang expensive???

I got the Eagles, Hell freezes over CD for $1.90 used (Very good condition) !!! Now you can't beat that. I love a good deal.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    Great thread! I headed over to Amazon to make some purchases. Why is the Alison Kraus live at Union station SACD so dang expensive???

I got the Eagles, Hell freezes over CD for $1.90 used (Very good condition) !!! Now you can't beat that. I love a good deal.

It's out of print I believe. I have the MFSL Original Master Recoring box set in LPs and I believe they are still available here but are also out of print.

http://www.questforsound.com/index.htm

Give Stephen a call to see if he has any left in stock. Tell him you know me and Phil Pearsall plus that you are a member of Club Polk and he'll give you a discount. Hell, knowing Stephen he might be able to get you both the CD & LP sets from his distributor.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2010
    thanks for the lead.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    thanks for the lead.

You're welcome. Stephen somehow magically comes up with things that always surprises me. When the Led Zepplin Classic Records 200 gm vinyl first came out they were like $30 apiece, then they sold out. When they re-upped they came back with prices that were triple and quadruple the original price. Stephen somehow came up with LZ 1 through 4 for me at the original price, plus a discount. He really is something.:)
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited November 2012
    I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead. Most of my favorites have been listed, but I have one to add:

Buddy Guy - The Real Deal With G.E. Smith and the Saturday Night Live Band

This one has has a great small venue ambiance. Its a very well recorded set.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • dkr919
    dkr919 Posts: 379
    edited November 2012
    "Keith Don't Go" is amazing
    nils.jpg
  • dkr919
    dkr919 Posts: 379
    edited November 2012
    Here's another. Excellent performance, recording and set list.
    tom petty.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited November 2012
    dkr919 wrote: »
    "Keith Don't Go" is amazing
    Agreed. The whole album is great IMO but that song is definitely amazing. He's got a LIVE DVD that isn't recorded as well but it sure is fun to watch. FNISF is also one of my favorite performances. Incredible talent on stage that night!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited November 2012
    Cool thread never noticed it before so I am glad it was resurrected. I know that this has been mentioned in other threads, but Adele's live album is excellent, a much better recording that her studio efforts (though I personally enjoy those as well). But I am not sure it if is what you are looking for in terms of ambience, audience, etc, but its an excellent recording.

A couple of perhaps lesser known or not yet mentioned discs:

1. Counting Crows: Across a Live Wire disc 1 in particular (VH1 storytellers). Excellent recording, a great band that peaked too soon (I think with this live album).
    2. Over the Rhine: Live From Nowhere Volume 2 (my fav in the series): If you have not heard of this band, you need to check them out, especially if you like bands like the Cowboy Junkies, Hem, etc. Her voice is a bit frail, but with some spunk, and she can sing you to sleep. Excellent songwriting and instrumentation. The live form nowhere discs were limited pressings and hard to find, but the ambience and feel of the recordings is excellent.
    3. John Mayer: Where the Light is (okay definitely not unknown;-) Disc 1 especially is excellent. John Paladino's bass is just sick...and sounds incredible.

Okay back to grading. I will be checking out some of the previously mentioned discs. I say we keep em coming!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2012
    Some good stuff listed above, some great ones I enjoy below, sorry but 2 are DVDs.

First is Pearl Jams "Single Video Theory" on DVD
    This video is an intimate look at Pearl Jam in the studio rehearsing and recording the Yield album, everytime I listen to this video, I wonder why can't the studio release of anything, let alone the Yield album sound this dynamic and frigging real. If you are a fan of PJ, this is a most, If you are looking for a rocking, great sounding version of "Yield", here you go.

Another Neil Young MUST!
    Neil Young's "Greendale" with Bonus DVD
    I have to say I have never listened to this CD, it came with a bonus DVD of Neil playing the album live in a small club. I have owned this release since it came out in 2003, and after watching the DVD, I have still not listened to the CD, a true treasure to watch and hear this performance. This will put you in the 10 feet infront of the live performer and the recording sounds great.

The New York Rocck and Roll Revue - Live at the Beacon
    Well recorded, good performances, you gotta like Donald Fagan as he performs several songs, but the rest of the CD is great too.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2012
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead. Most of my favorites have been listed, but I have one to add:

Buddy Guy - The Real Deal With G.E. Smith and the Saturday Night Live Band

This one has has a great small venue ambiance. Its a very well recorded set.

i like this one too...small room..great vibe...it would be great if the dvd had the option of no interviews during the jams...johnnie johnson is there, too! imho, the real architect of rock n roll:)
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited November 2012
    The Eagles.....not sure where they were though...
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • Tbone289
    edited November 2012
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I know that this has been mentioned in other threads, but Adele's live album is excellent, a much better recording that her studio efforts (though I personally enjoy those as well).

It's worth mentioning again. The Albert Hall show is the only Adele CD I own. You can imagine my disappointment as I've listened some of the studio stuff since I bought it. The live show is the only way to listen to her, IMO--none of that nasty compression.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Tbone289
    edited November 2012
    sda2mike wrote: »
    i like this one too...small room..great vibe...it would be great if the dvd had the option of no interviews during the jams...johnnie johnson is there, too! imho, the real architect of rock n roll:)

I've had the CD for years and didn't realize there was a DVD... Interviews during the music ruins it for me, though. What a shame. :neutral:
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2012
    I've had the CD for years and didn't realize there was a DVD... Interviews during the music ruins it for me, though. What a shame. :neutral:

i didn't realize there was a cd!
  • Tbone289
    edited November 2012
    i didn't realize there was a cd!

You must pick it up! "My Time After a While" still gives me goosebumps after all these years. It's one of the first tracks I listen to any time I do a component upgrade, mainly because I know it so well.
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2012
    You must pick it up! "My Time After a While" still gives me goosebumps after all these years. It's one of the first tracks I listen to any time I do a component upgrade, mainly because I know it so well.

on the list! 'good morning mr blues', buddy kills on this one
  • Tbone289
    edited November 2012
    on the list! 'good morning mr blues', buddy kills on this one

You'll be disappointed to find out that track isn't on the CD then. :neutral: I guess I'll have to pick up the DVD.
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2012
    You'll be disappointed to find out that track isn't on the CD then. :neutral: I guess I'll have to pick up the DVD.

my mistake! it's: 'first time i meet the blues' is the correct title
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2012
    Anothe vote for Neil Young; Live at Massey Hall 1971
    Gateful Dead; Skull & Roses lp ( now available on MSFL vinyl )