Best LIVE album recorded albums you've heard.

Options

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    Options
    George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers live. Pretty amazing recording considering it was slapped together.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Harry Belafonte live at Carnegie Hall is probably the best live recording ever.

I would rather listen all day long to the certified worst recording ever of The Stones doing "Get Off of My Cloud" than 5 minutes of the greatest live recording ever.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would rather listen all day long to the certified worst recording ever of The Stones doing "Get Off of My Cloud" than 5 minutes of the greatest live recording ever.

Ha ha ha! Still a great recording though.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited February 2010
    Options
    AIC acoustical live MTV
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2010
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Roy, you do know that Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" is soon to be available on SACD, right?

Thanks, yeah I have heard that but I don't have a SACD player..might break down and get one though.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited February 2010
    Options
    "Waiting for Columbus" is coming out on MoFi gold CD, not on SACD I'm sorry to say. Regardless, it should be stellar.

Here ya go.... http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85580
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ah crap, I got the format mixed up again. Thanks Jesse.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited February 2010
    Options
    UFO Strangers is a great live LP or remastered CD. I was actually listening to that yesterday. I just got done listening to Michael Buble at MSG is also a great live recording.

This one is not a popular one but... rufus wainwright does judy at carnegie hall. Another great live recording.

Also the Manilow live... ok the music is solid but the sound quality on that LP I thought was not so hot...

As you all can see by what I have listed in the thread, or my other post... My range is wide.

For jazz also check out Less McCann & eddie Harris Montreux

Fleetwood Mac The Dance is still one heck of a live recording The first few seconds with the heavy drum on The Chain WOW. Makes my 1.2's jump and the room shake!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Me First And The Gimme Gimmes - Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I watched Eric Clapton and Stevie Winwood at Madison Square Garden on Blu-ray - wow - pretty darn good sounding - not perfect, but pretty darn good - and I liked the camera work too - not the frenetic dizzy ADD shot jumping every 1/2 second you see with other 'rock' videos.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sarah McLachlan's "Afterglow LIVE" is the same way.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The Last Waltz-The Band -is a good one also a documentary film by Marty Scorsese. Lots of guest musicians!;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i just got done with Paul Weller Live at Alexandra Love that disk especially disk 2. I wish the recording was a tad better though but it is still darn good.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up Jesse, that's one of my favs!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2010
    Options
    sinatra at the sands dvd-a
    Deep Purple Live at BBC--sacd
    Heart--alive in seattle--sacd
    Live in New York--springstein--sacd
    albert King--I'll play the Blues for You

you can blow me later. it will take you a bit to locate the discs, while your at it pick up some Lonnie Mack stuff, his later stuff is what I like, he was a SRV mentor.

RT1
  • cwilliams
    cwilliams Posts: 58
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dave Matthews Band - "Listener Supported"

There are a lot of live DMB cd's available, but I think that has the best mix.

"The Central Park Concert" is also a must own.
    Chris

Denon 890
    Polk TSi300
    Polk TSi100
    Polk CS10
    MTX SW2 Sub

Polk SDA-2A
    NAD 7175PE
  • F1nut
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Roy Munson wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up Jesse, that's one of my favs!

Mine too. If you listen carefully, you might hear me in the Lisner audience. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My parents as well, 5th row [literally]. The rest is confidential..... ;)

Dad gave me the low down.....Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    My parents as well, 5th row [literally]. The rest is confidential..... ;)

Dad gave me the low down.....Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Are you insinuating that Jesse is old?:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I wonder why MOFI is re-releasing a vinyl version of "Waiting for Columbus"? Their original release maybe 20 years ago was excellent! As was the original lp.

A great recording makes for great listening on any format.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I wonder why MOFI is re-releasing a vinyl version of "Waiting for Columbus"? Their original release maybe 20 years ago was excellent! As was the original lp.

A great recording makes for great listening on any format.

I thought the same thing about "Crime of the Century." The re-release on heavier vinyl takes the original recording to a new and higher level.

OR;

Maybe that got their hands on the real original master tape or maybe they are just looking to make more money.:eek:
  • F1nut
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Are you insinuating that Jesse is old?:D

Eh, I was around 20 at the time. That makes Tom's parents old!

My parents as well, 5th row [literally]. The rest is confidential.....

I have no recollection of where my seat was, although I could probably dig up the ticket stub. I do recall that a good time was had by all. :D

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Wings Live over America 3 lp set is pretty sweet too.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I do recall that a good time was had by all. :D
    If I had one wish to attend a concert I missed? This would be the one. As a youngin', I would listen to this everyday. Plop in the CD or LP and enjoy the entire concert uninterrupted. I must say, the recreation of it sounded rather fine at the Mars Hotel. ;)

No Joe, I wasn't insinuating anything.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I listened to that lp yesterday,,considering it's age,, etc,, it's a pretty damn good recording,,BTW,,I picked it up from Double G for a few samolians.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Richard Thompson - Live from Austin TX. Nicely recorded and a great mix of songs and acoustic and electric guitar.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hmmm, I have a 4 disc set from him...."Walking on a Wire" that includes some live tracks. I will have to check them out. I don't recall ever hearing anything from him before, so it will be refreshing to hear something new. Thanks.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As I type I am listening to Jackson Browne, Solo Acoustic Volume 1...with Volume 2 to follow. Just opened it up this morning.

The fact that I'm enjoying the music is a given as I am a Jackson Browne fan going all the way back to the days when he was writing songs for the Byrds and Linda Ronstadt along with his early work with the Eagles. I would expect nothing less than a really good performance. I have his entire catelog of original albums (no greatest hits...no need for them)

The plus is that it is an excellent recording. SQ is so good that if you shut your eyes you can almost picture him sitting at the piano or playing his guitar mere feet in front of you. I could do without the clapping of the crowd…but I guess it is part of the “experience.

This is one situation (a rare one at that) where I could envision the value of a multi-channel recording…if…and only if…they put the crowd (and nothing else) on the rear channels. Then I could envision a “front row” seat at a great concert.

If you like Jackson Browne, I can highly recommend this 2 disc set of live music.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2010
    Options
    my morning jacket is good, i used to listen to them, but i kinda drifted away

minus the bear
    my dear hunter
    as cities burn (hell and high water only)
    dear and the headlights
    they are all kinda similar. i love music, exceot hardore techno and most country, just cant dig it

And what does any of this have to do with a well recorded live album?

I just wondered...since that is what this thread is about.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited February 2010
    Options
    http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=3688897&albumid=9506793

She has the best voice on the planet!!!

Track 5 will bring back memories for some...