Legacy Empire Crossver Modification Thread

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited October 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Here are some pics of the stock crossovers....

I am curious to see what the owner decides to do - he said he wants to keep the stock crossovers and build from scratch and do external enclosures, the works...

Will be interesting!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RickTfromAZ
    RickTfromAZ Posts: 122
    edited June 2012
    Not at all what I expected to see. With the reputation that Legacy has, I expected to see nicely laid out boards with all of the components separated.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited June 2012
    Hi, I'm glad you posted this. I spoke to someone at Legacy last week cuz I've got a line on those Empires. The dude told me that Less Than 10 were ever made!! I sought advise here at CP and Tony chimed-in with good advise. I probably won't buy these unless the seller comes down a whole lot! But, man do they sound nice! Speaker parts will be near impossible to find (unless VR3 can make them better than new!!) Any insight you have is greatly appreciated . . Thx, Trey

btw the Doro quote, well . . . that can be me sometimes, plz be patient
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    These will be very* expensive to modify...

If Legacy were to use top tier parts in these it would easily increase the cost of the speakers at production by another 2k...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2012
    Geesh, what a mess.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited June 2012
    More like a disaster...

Make things worse is I had a schematic with no values filled in!! Woo Hoo!

Took me a little over a hour but I finally traced it - but talk about a brain buster...

I quoted out for the guy Jantzen inductors for everything but the iron cores which are Erse, actually substituted one for a 12 awg ERSE Air core - a perfect match in every way! (Suhweet)

Tweeter Network -
    Clarity Cap MR/ESA with Mills/Mundorf Mox resistors

Midbrange Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA with Mills/Mundorf Mox resistors

Bass Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA/PX, Solen PB with Mills/Mundorf Mox resistors

Externally mounted, NL2 connections to the drivers...

Should be freaking sweet and I wont stack all the components on top of the inductors neither!! @_@
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, does look like a mess for sure. These never went into full production so the final crossover layout was never fully implemented which may explain the mess. Another reason to stay away from these. Take my advice, look for some Focus 20/20's in the 3 g range. You won't be disappointed.

Unless your skilled at speaker building, crossover building, these esoteric rare speakers are just not worth the coin imho.

Trey, if you already took on this task, talk to Bill over at Legacy for some guidence. The guy knows his stuff and his speakers inside out. Personally, I'd be looking for a used pair of Focus HD'S which are suppose to be the cats meow. Well, the Whisper HD'S are the cats meow but for the price the Focus will get you almost on par with the Whispers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    The gentleman who owns these really likes them. He actually purchased my Super Towers and hearing the vast improvement in detail and clarity with the modifications in my Super Towers prompted him to upgrade his Legacys...
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    You know when your parts weigh over 15 pounds you are deailing with serious crossover parts! LOL!

Each crossovers contains over 30 some odd parts! @_@
  • slider2828
    slider2828 Posts: 118
    edited June 2012
    That is sooo awesome! Looks like some awesome caps especially the MR's!!! God I like to dream about use MR's.... LOL...... External enclosures are awesome, like you said no need to stack inductors! So awesome... Can't wait for the finished pics.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited June 2012
    if you already took on this task, talk to Bill over at Legacy for some guidence. The guy knows his stuff and his speakers inside out.

I agree Bill is very personable when i went to his shop yrs ago first thing i told him was I cannot afford your speakers. That didn't stop him from giving me a guided tour of the entire shop and went into great detail about everything there. It was a good 4hrs of knowledge he gave that day.
    Not at all what I expected to see. With the reputation that Legacy has, I expected to see nicely laid out boards with all of the components separated.

true that but as Tony said if they never went into full production there was never a need to make a simpler board.

Trey what is with that board on the left with 2 resistors that look like the leads were cut off? why even put them on the board if not used? BOY thats a lot of resistance there
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Trey what is with that board on the left with 2 resistors that look like the leads were cut off? why even put them on the board if not used? BOY thats a lot of resistance there
    The leads may have been removed during voicing.

As for the amount of resistors used, it increases power handling.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Hmmmm
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    These are some big ol coils!
  • tonyb
    edited July 2012
    Daaamn bro, when you shoot for overkill you hold nuthin' back. Waiting for some insight on the sound when you stick those puppies in there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Wait till you see these bitching enclosures we are having custom made...

Solid Rosewood sides, brushed aluminum top/front/back

Gonna be slick!
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Check these bad boys out!

Those side panels are insane!
    CASE.jpg 300.5K
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    I get to start on these monsters tomorrow...

I am so beyond stoked... lol
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited July 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Check these bad boys out!

Those side panels are insane!

DAMN!!! Those are gorgeous:mrgreen:
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Teaser!
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    So many parts!!
  • tonyb
    edited July 2012
    Damn those side panels are freekin' beautiful. This is gonna be a whole brand new speaker then. You doing anything with the drivers ? You should call up Legacy and see if they have some of their newer HD drivers that will fit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    All I have in my possession are the original crossovers...

I will pass on that info to the owner though and see his thoughts!
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Mock up...

Integrating my "stack" design in the chassis!! :-D
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2012
    I like the coke can mod! I am sure it tightens up the highs. Dont give away your secrets Trey!

Seriously I love watching your planning. Your attention to detail is awesome and I would have no fears at all dropping off all 5 of my LSi's for you to mod :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    I think my next purchase if a heated/cooled garage with a bitching CNC and drill press... THAT would make my life easier! ;)

Thanks bro! Whenever you are ready!

Thanks!
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2012
    Thanks bro! Whenever you are ready!

It might be awhile but it will eventually happen lol... however I will be dropping the entire speaker off for you so you can mount them as well cause I am lazy and scared to mess with internal speaker stuff lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Yeah - I really did not realize how much of a challenge the LSi15 was until now... LOL

I exchanged 90 emails with ol CBow there figuring that out + a phone call and a few texts messages!
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2012
    Yeah - I really did not realize how much of a challenge the LSi15 was until now... LOL

I exchanged 90 emails with ol CBow there figuring that out + a phone call and a few texts messages!

Yup I dont doubt your skill to make them work and fit (more my skill to mount them right lol), but its obviously easier with em on site to try out different configs.

I am sure cbow will be super pumped to get em. I know I would be.....
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Woofer network
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Midbass network