Legacy Empire Crossver Modification Thread

2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited July 2012
    Tweeter network
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Supra Rondo Input Wire...

4 x 13 awg runs! W00t
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Satin finish on the chassis to add durability and to prevent build up of finger printing
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited August 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    These will be very* expensive to modify...

If Legacy were to use top tier parts in these it would easily increase the cost of the speakers at production by another 2k...

Where are you in terms of cost for this upgrade? Has it exceeded the 2K price point? Please advise, as I still have an option to purchase the same speaker (only less than 10 were ever made and to say the least, I am very apprehensive)

Please, the more details, the better . . . TY

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    over 2k
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    I didnt like how the satin finish looked after it fully cured... going to have my machine shop buddy grind them back down to ground zero
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    I wanted to note that if you kept the stock inductors that would knock about 300 or so off the parts. I had to source the small air core inductors from the UK and the bass inductors are ERSE... was very expensive, over $300.00 in coils....
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    I almost forgot how much of a pain wiring to a binding post was... ALMOST
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited August 2012
    very nice workmanship . . .

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Thanks man!

Mirror Imaged!
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited August 2012
    Those. Are. Wow. It's just one of those things that would be entirely unimpressive to anyone who isn't into the hobby, but it's so beautiful. Good parts there, Trey.
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Thanks man!

6 different suppliers, over 300 parts in all...

Yeah... been fun! :)
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Now to throw them on the tester! :)
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited August 2012
    ^^^ Very nice work^^^^
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Thanks man!! :)

It has been the biggest job I have done yet... definitely proud! :)
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Final pictures of "Crossover 2"
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Crossover 1
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Initial Thoughts -

Trey, I got the crossovers hooked up this afternoon. The initial impression is very good. I will write up a review after I’ve had them in the system for a while (100 to 150 hours or so). I want to give everything some time to break in. I have also found over many times of swapping equipment in and out of my system that it takes me that long or more to get a real feel for the strengths and weaknesses of a new piece. Definitely so far so good as I had a couple of hours long listening session.
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    The final review -

I found out about Trey?s work by seeing his ad for Tyler Acoustics Supertower speakers. The work done to them really intrigued me and I purchased them from him. I had previously owned Taylo 7u?s and heard the Decade D1, and D2 as well as Woodmere2 at shows. I always wondered what they would sound like with top notch crossover parts and was certainly not disappointed when I heard the Supertowers. I already owned a pair of Legacy Empire speakers when I purchased the Supertowers. After hearing the upgraded Tylers, I began to wonder what the Empires would sound like with their crossovers upgraded in the same manner. I really loved the open sound of the Tylers, but had to have the dynamics/ jump factor provided by the Legacys. I sent Trey the stock crossovers and the single line schematic provided by Legacy. I?ve owned many pairs of Legacy speakers and they all have had the same issue. The cheap crossover parts are audible.
    Trey provided a basic quote and the process began. This was a huge undertaking due to the large number of parts in the crossover. I was kept up to date regularly thru the entire process with pictures and emails stating specific progress and any recommended changes to the basic plan, as well as requests for my input for enclosure construction, etc. I would estimate that we exchanged 20-25 emails during the process. When the crossovers arrived, I took a peak inside and was very pleased with the quality of the work that I saw inside. Parts were neatly laid out and properly secured. Shipping packaging was first rate and secure.
    I got them hooked up in my system and was almost immediately aware that after these finished break in, they were going to be what I was looking for. Gone was the grittiness of the stock crossover system. They now have between 250 and 300 hours on them and it has certainly been worth the wait. Everything is improved across the board with the exception of the large scale dynamics, which remained intact. It is like a large veil has been removed. Increased detail, check. Improved purity of tone and harmonics, check. Better imaging and soundstaging, check. Improved micro dynamics, check. Improved sense of ease, check. More fun to listen to, absolutely! Everything just sounds more correct and I couldn?t be more pleased.
    After going thru this process, I can without hesitation recommend VR3mods for any crossover modification you may be considering. If you like the basic sound of your speakers, but wonder what they are really capable of, by all means have VR3mods upgrade your crossovers. I have had two transactions with Trey and he has been nothing other than highly professional in both cases. Highest recommendation.
  • VR3
    Ahhhhh good times bump