How do you tell the difference between SDA 1 B & C?

Todd R
Todd R Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Looking at getting a pair from a local auction, but cannot determine if it's a B or C model.
From reading the forums I know that the A had tweeters side by side, right? This one has 2 tweeters vertically aligned.
Post edited by Todd R on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited February 2012
    The tweeter and driver configurations are the same; they just have different cabinets. The 1B's use the older style veneer cabinet; the 1C's use the solid wood end caps and cloth covered side panels.

1B:

1b.jpg

1C:

1c.jpg

Welcome to CP! Good luck with the auction!:cheesygrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Todd R
    edited February 2012
    Good, these will be C models then.
    Provided I win, these will need a little fixing up and a driver replaced, then I'll post them here for sale.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited February 2012
    Todd R wrote: »
    Good, these will be C models then.
    Provided I win, these will need a little fixing up and a driver replaced, then I'll post them here for sale.

Cool, I'm glad you're bringing a classic speaker back to life.

FYI, you need 100 posts before you can post anything for sale here.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Todd R
    edited February 2012
    Cool, I'm glad you're bringing a classic speaker back to life.

FYI, you need 100 posts before you can post anything for sale here.

Wow. It would take me a really long time to do that.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited February 2012
    Todd R wrote: »
    Wow. It would take me a really long time to do that.

Not if you would like to contribute to the forum. Never know you might learn a lot to help restore those bad boys and do it right. It perplexes my that you want to bid and win and not want to keep them.
  • Todd R
    edited February 2012
    No need for confusion. I just got a pair of VonSchweikert VR-33 speakers about 3 weeks ago, so I'm all set for big speakers.
    However, I saw these SDA speakers and wanted to rescue them, looks like a fun project. I remember hearing them many years ago and liking them. It's a package deal with some Yamaha separates, that I'm sure someone will want that stuff also.
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited February 2012
    well just be careful, you may actually get attached to those SDA's, like many of us have. VonSchweikert makes some VERY nice speakers, but these polks are incredible as well, especially upgraded.

Stick around and you may really like them!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2012
    The tweeter and driver configurations are the same; they just have different cabinets. The 1B's use the older style veneer cabinet; the 1C's use the solid wood end caps and cloth covered side panels.

It's not quite that easy in some cases. Some of the earliest SDA 1C's used SDA 1B cabinets, so the only sure way to tell them apart is to look at the internal parts. The 1B used four MW6509 drivers. The 1C used two MW6511 drivers and two MW6510 drivers. The 1B used different circuit boards for the high frequency and low frequency crossover sections. The 1C used a single board.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited February 2012
    Sounds like a flipper to me...
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • bergerman
    bergerman Posts: 1
    Need some help. I purchase these Polk Audio speakers today and I'm not sure what model I have but they are in absolute mint condition. Ik440bcy6tgg0.jpg
    9fwumajfn2fb.jpg
    f somebody could please help me I would be very appreciative.

I'm not sure if they are 1B or 1C models.

I'm also not sure what year they're from.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    1B, blade/blade.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Could be early 1C, pull the the drivers if there MW6511's & MW6510's there 1C's, if there all MW6509's there 1B's. best way to be sure.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    1fxjzbrqy3v5.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a