Using 5 wire component cable as interconnects?

Options

Comments

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited July 2011
    Options
    neokeelo wrote: »
    So, if I spend $200 on interconnects from my amp to receiver's pre outs, and then I hook up a cheap but shielded $15 cable, I would be able to tell a difference on the high frequency notes as I increase the volume?

I noticed no increased hum or interference when using a component video cable or audio cable.

You're on the right track. Don't buy the hype.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • ROHfan
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Do yourselves a favor and just place that one on your iList. :wink:

Oh please, save us all, Keiko!
  • ROHfan
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Best re-think that statement my friend. Kinda like saying a car tire is a car tire,all made out of rubber.

Well, not really. Tires can consist of a multitude of ingredients, in different quantities depending upon price, performance, etc. and can contain steel belts to improve its durability. Copper, on the other hand, is an element. Its only job, in the audio realm, is to transfer signal. Anything added to it can only degrade that signal. Things can be added to the cable itself to make it more durable like strong interconnects and beefier insulation but in the end the signal cannot be improved. Pure copper will let through 100% of the signal and degrade with thickness and length. No amount of magic can let through over 100% of the signal. However, very thin awg wires can contain higher impedances which can choke out some higher frequencies which is why I usually use 14 awg or bigger.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If it were only that simple. You seem to have a very small mind

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I must confess to not understanding the controversy over cables. No one would argue that different tubes sound different, or that some capacitors sound better than others, or that differences in transformer designs are audible. So, how hard is it to believe that different cables sound different? And, if different cables sound different, then it would seem obvious that some cables would sound better than others. Hell, a 60 watt Sylvania gives off a light with a hue that's different from a 60 watt GE, even though they're made from the same materials. I doubt that can be double-blind tested.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Can I use a component video cable to carry audio? Will it sound different? I have a 5 cable set ( 3 component, and 2 for audio)
    Are they basically the same thing?
    I want to use them to hook up from my receiver to my amp but I want the signal strength and sound to be the same on all channels.

The connections and cables look exactly the same to me.

Be sure to use the 3 component video cables (RGB) for left, center, and right... in that order only! The 2 audio cables are suitable only for surrounds - red on right, white on left. :wink::tongue:
  • ROHfan
    edited July 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If it were only that simple. You seem to have a very small mind

H9

Please teach me. Teach me how your ears can tell a difference when the meter reads "identical" on all tests. Go ahead. I'm all ears.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Amateurs, or know-it-alls:

"MATERIAL: CDA 101-COPPER

In the game of cable marketing, everything can become exaggerated. For example, for years some cable companies played the 9's game, referring to their copper with a series of 9's to represent elevated purity. It started out as a legitimate idea, but within a year this had escalated to claims of nine-nines (99.9999999) pure and greater! How is this possible? To put it simply, it's not. The purity of copper can be measured, but the limit of the purity tests is 99.99 (four nines) pure. Copper quality is never referred to with a series of 9's in the metals industry, it is referred to with CDA numbers. The CDA number verifies that the copper is measured and certified to a specific purity standard. There are many grades: CDA 104, CDA 103, 102 and 101. CDA 101 copper is the highest purity copper on the metals market. It comes with papers that prove its authenticity. This is the copper that Shunyata Research purchases and uses in every product from signal cables to power cords and conditioners.

The majority of cable manufacturers buy their wire pre-made from major US or overseas suppliers. In many cases, it will be the least expensive wire available given that it is hidden from view. There are a few exceptions such as Siltech and Cardas, among others. Shunyata Research is one of the few companies that purchases its own CDA 101 copper in raw ingot form. The copper is then drawn into all the wire forms that are used throughout the Shunyata line. The power cords, power distributors and signal cables all benefit from this top quality material. More than that, using completely matched metallurgy lends a symmetry and coherence to the performance of any system. Given the sheer volume of wire that connects and powers all the components, a power and signal wiring system is an integral component unto itself. Purchasing CDA 101 copper and having it made from scratch into the many wire compliments is an expensive process but is a critical component of Shunyata's success -- attention to_every_detail"

Great technical read, assuming you can understand the ideas.

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/technical-SignalTech.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    Teach me how your ears can tell a difference when the meter reads "identical" on all tests.
    Off topic but IYO is this theory applicable to amplifiction as well?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Please teach me. Teach me how your ears can tell a difference when the meter reads "identical" on all tests. Go ahead. I'm all ears.

Soooooo, what cables have you actually tried?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jesse he doesnt have to try them he already knows everything. Always interesting how those that claim they know never try any of it but just read somewhere that it doesn't so never bother to try anything.
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wire threads are fun.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited July 2011
    Options

Are you JCandy in disguise?:tongue:

I mean really, have you ever tried different cables? Of course not.
    But lab tests show all the copper is the same. It's a shame there are other factors. Like, How they are wound, not wound, solid core, braided, twisted, shielded, not shielded. I can go on and on and on.

Just because things are made of the same material doesn't mean they will have the same sound. Heck we are all made of carbon and water but we look, sound and act different. Or are we all the same too?

If you don't believe cables and wires make a difference it is your loss. We know the truth.
  • neokeelo
    neokeelo Posts: 168
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I switched out my cables yesterday with the component video "5 wire" cable and I actually noticed less interference.

When I turn on my HTPC, I usually hear some hiss and static noise ( probably caused by the interference the PC makes on start-up) since I switched out the cables I no longer hear this. My only conclusion is that these cables have better shielding than the previous ones. Just a guess though.
    My System
    Pre/Pro - Integra DTR 40.2
    Amplifier -Parasound 2205a
    Paradigm Studio 60s V5 Mains
    Paradigm Studio 590 V5 Center
    Paradigm 20s - rear ( Wanted)
    SUB - SVS PB12-NSD
    LG PK250 60inch Plasma
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Neo, you have a very nice system, I would think you spent some good coin on it, no ? If you want to get the most out of it, as you should, buy some decent cables and be done with it.
    Also think about your source, getting good sound from a 'puter can require some trial and error, along with a dac.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Go ahead. I'm all ears.

Actually I don't think you are "all ears", if you were you would have the opportunity to hear some differences. You are "all eyes" as in what you can read on a spec sheet or see on a meter reading.

The eyes are more deceiving than the ears.

Go luck to you.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    edited July 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The eyes are more deceiving than the ears.

So you are all for blind testing then?
  • heiney9
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I have always used my ears to determine what sounded good.

H9
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nice dodge. You use your eyes as well.
  • heiney9
    edited July 2011
    Options
    My eyes can't hear anything.

Not dodging, just avoiding another cable thread that has been beaten to a pulp over and over and over and over and over and over...... If you don't already know where I stand on blind testing then you haven't been paying attention. Read Darqueknights published paper and you'll see what I mean.

H9
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I switched out my cables yesterday with the component video "5 wire" cable and I actually noticed less interference.

When I turn on my HTPC, I usually hear some hiss and static noise ( probably caused by the interference the PC makes on start-up) since I switched out the cables I no longer hear this. My only conclusion is that these cables have better shielding than the previous ones. Just a guess though.

I'm sure you are right - the component cables likely have better shielding, and perhaps other improvements, over the cables you are replacing. Can you quantify the improvement? I doubt it, and yet the improvement is undeniable. So, logic dictates that even better cables may improve the sound even more. The balance between improvements in sound quality and the cost to achieve those improvements can only be determined through listening and comparing your options in your system in your environment using your ears, just as you presumably did in selecting Paradigm speakers over plastic computer speakers.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Always predictable, and repetitive.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited July 2011
    Options
    :biggrin: Mistress Kitty says
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I bought a pair of the MIT cables that were regularly $249 on sale for about $50. I noticed the highs were more laid back and I had to turn the volume up a bit.......that's all and they've been played at least 500+ hours. They're a reasonably well made cable but I think the termination is a weak point. I'm ok with them but I would be disappointed if I'd paid full price for them. I'd like to try them with my ADS 810s and 710s but the banana plugs won't fit in the recesses where the speaker connections are. About 30yrs ago I splurged and spent about $6 on a pair of I think Radio Shack interconnects and I still have them. About 10yrs, back I paid $50 for a fancy looking pastel colored pair of Tara interconnects and they're somewhere in my garage. They no longer pass a signal and the ends are well soldered on. Must be something broken under that pretty shielding. I never did notice a difference with them till things got very quiet on one side of the system. I'm not against trying different cables but for me they're not the highest priority in my audio chain. When I get my AR9s hooked up (hopefully next week) maybe I can try my MIT cables on them. They'll probably blow the back door off it's hinges.

Insults do piss me off.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • tonyb
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Don, you could always sell the cables you don't like and try something else. Nobody around here will tell you every cable upgrade is a hit. Experimenting is key in this hobby of ours. That is of coarse unless your completely happy with the sound you have, then just enjoy the music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2011
    Options
    speaking of cables ,guys I can fully understand the burn in or warm uptime for tube gear ,but how is burn in measured in cables.This I do not get at all. One other point about going a little higher end,I tried this w/Monster THX I-Cs and of course there it was the dreaded grip of death that temperarially took out my Onkyo pre P301. I was warned by most of you guys and did not take the advice and was I ever so sorry for that.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • tonyb
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thats the whole point LW, measurements don't equate completely to what is heard. Some will stand by the theory that if it's audible, it can be measured. I say bah-humbug.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ROHfan
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Thats the whole point LW, measurements don't equate completely to what is heard. Some will stand by the theory that if it's audible, it can be measured. I say bah-humbug.

There's measurements for everything, but sometimes our brains trick us into thinking there's a difference.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2011
    Options
    There's measurements for everything, but sometimes our brains trick us into thinking there's a difference.

I suspect there are measurements for areas not even thought of yet.

In situations when the difference between A and B is very, very minor then yes, our brains might influence our decision. On the other hand, at least for me, the differences between A and B have been so obvious the brain is not needed. Just the ears.

For example, Thursday night I removed the Auralex acoustic foam I had on the wall behind my speakers, and I immediately remembered why I put it up in the first place. The sound was overly bright, and not as detailed with the foam off. However, instead of replacing the two 2x4 panels behind each speaker I used a single 2x2 behind each speaker at the level of the tweeter and mid-range. This works great, eliminates the brightness, dials in the sound stage, and looks a lot better. Of course, the appearance is subjective, and that is the brain part. On the other hand, the sound is objective, and the ears handle that quite well.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dear ROHfan,

Your silence is deafening.

F1nut aka "The Hair"
    Family member since 2002
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk