Using 5 wire component cable as interconnects?

Options
124»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2011
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »

You are kidding, right? Those threads are just like the threads on here, except for one major difference.

The threads you posted are all by bashers with no actual experience. They think they know how things are, and they are confusing their fantasy with reality. At least on this site there are people who have actually tried something, and then posted based on their actual experience.

It really says something about your mental condition when you believe people who just make things up, yet disbelieve people who have actually tried something. The real suckers who are born every minute are the ones who think cables do not make a difference.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drug stores sell cigarettes too. That's capitalism which also includes free speech to be for or against it.
    As such, there is no shortage of questioning and criticism about JPS cables and others in the Audioholics forum. Would similar questioning about MIT cables be allowed on this forum?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73412&highlight=jps

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69476&highlight=jps+labs#post69476

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5008&highlight=jps+labs#post5008

and guess what? This forum also allows people to demo MIT cables for the cost of shipping. But you'll just say you don't need to try as its just science that proves all.

I thought the world was also flat once according to science. Guess we didn't progress in the last few hundred years. :rolleyes:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,530
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Many video cables use silver plated copper center conductors--which I don't like; just a personal preference thing.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drug stores sell cigarettes too. That's capitalism which also includes free speech to be for or against it.
    As such, there is no shortage of questioning and criticism about JPS cables and others in the Audioholics forum. Would similar questioning about MIT cables be allowed on this forum?

I have never been criticized for my opinions on here, including not owning or preferring Polk speakers; nor do I own MIT cables. :smile: Anyone who presents their opinions thoughtfully and respectfully can be part of the conversation as it adds to the experience and overall knowledge base here at CP.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The fact is there is a huge amount of empirical evidence as well as measured differences in audio cables. If a person does not hear differences there are many variables which would explain this. Trust your ears they will tell you when your present gear has all the cabling it needs. Don't Worry...Be Happy.

RT1
  • sk1939
    sk1939 Posts: 295
    edited September 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    There's more to audio than just one piece of the puzzle. Use what you want, Neo. Would the majority here use it ? Probably not, but your still free to float your boat anyway you see fit.
    Quality cables is just a part of the overall picture of good sound quality. We can't comment on what you may or maynot hear, obviously, but the journey in audio is experimenting, tayloring,to your own tastes. All we can do is give you the benefit of our collective experiences.

I would use it, mostly because I don't feel like spending $50 on 3 ft of cable (nor do I think they would make a difference), especially if it means I can cut back on expenditure and retire in 15 years like I plan to. I use balanced XLR's, and the cheapest AudioQuests I can get my hands on. Speaker cable is some 6 odd feet of THHN from Southwire.

Going back to the original post, there is nothing wrong with your idea. Many of the audio "purists" will cringe however.
    Home:
    Onkyo TX-6500MKII/Polk LSI 9's (A)Polk TSi 100(B)/Polk PSW 10/Onkyo C-S5VL/Technics SL-QD33
    Home 2 (Playback):
    Dynaudio BM5A MKII/Dynaudio SUB 250MC/Audigy 2 ZS
    College:
    JBL LSR 2325P/JBL 2310SP/MOTU UltraLite MKIII
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,078
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You guys all crack me up. Can we as a forum get over fighting about cables already, it's pretty easy to skip over negative comments made from people who say things like

"Copper is copper" , "Wire doesn't make a difference " , "Only **** clowns spend a lot of money on cables " , " I read on another forum that cables don't make a difference so there for they don't( even though I have absolutely no experience at all on this topic) " . It goes on and on every single time.

While all you guys are fighting about wire , I'll be re wiring my system just for fun then listening to some good music while I sip at some Pumpkin Ale.

Have fun people.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Hey, the Audioholics store has JPS Ultraconductor Bi-Wires with free shipping. From $449 to $1149 / pair.

Something to consider. :wink:

Exactly my point about advertising.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,078
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Exactly my point about advertising.

Come over to the Beer thread , it's more fun.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2011
    Options
    OK, you twisted my arm.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If your system is teetering so close to the edge that you're placing that much emphasis on cables, you are chasing the wrong tail, IMO. Furthermore, IMO, if you're trying to "fix" system inadequacies with cables--you are seriously wasting your time and money because you're fixing a symptom and not the problem.

IME, cables are something to be experimenting with as a final "fine tuning" of your system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Reported bum-hat.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,138
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I won't tell everyone that you've filled up my Polk Audio PM box with your love letters.
    We'll keep that between us -ok?. :wink:

They are private, but would it be called "Polkileaks" if I released them? :eek:

Would probably be like leaking a toxic gas or a knarley **** so please to it to ya'lls self:eek::biggrin::tongue:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,912
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's called capitalism, Take it or leave it. If that advertiser is willing and foolish enough to pay to advertize on a website knowing what is said on the site, why shouldn't their advertizing money be accepted?

A website sells advertising, just as a every other business sells something.
    With few exceptions for the obvious, a business doesn't typically take an intelligence test of the buyer before accepting their money.

Bills need to be paid right and as long as it is legal, it is the priority for business to make money to stay in business. Not every business can depend on or get bailed out by the state.

In no way does this take away from the website's other activities including their forum or educational information. They do what they feel is in their best interests.

At the end of the day, that's what it is all about. There is no utopia anywhere - even here.

Nothing wrong with this statement as far as I can see anyway. Thats how capitalism works. Nobody goes through a vetting process for each advertiser on a web site. You as a consumer need to weed out the B.S., web sites just collect dough to pay the bills. Pretty much common sense one would think.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rebuy
    rebuy Posts: 695
    edited September 2011
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Just because somebody publishes a list on the Internet doesn't make it the truth. Also, just because somebody does not understand the science does not make it BS. I wonder how many of these cable nay-sayers are religious nuts. There certainly seems to be the same blind fanaticism to only one opinion, along with the inability to think clearly, and having a closed mind.

I find some of your snide comments about "religious nuts" and "cable nay-sayers" offensive. Religious nuts usually strap bombs on and kill innocent people. Since you made that comment in this forum, in this country, Can we guess you had the predominate religion of the U.S. in mind when you made that statement? Just because someone believes in something you don't agree with does not make them close minded or cable nay-sayers.

While it's true I have heard many opinions, at least as many as you, I still have my own opinion and if I want just one, what's it to you? I hope I am thinking clearly, as my mind is closed. Some of the smartest people in the world believes in something but that does not mean they can't think clearly or have a closed mind. My mind is open, you should do the same.

:cool:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I believe in Rabbit Holes....

Cables Matter. Tubes Rule. Paypal stinks.

RT1
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yep,

been following that Rabbit for 30 years now, and it keeps getting more expensive as I go. But that's a good thing.

I can't say right now I would spend vast amounts of money on wire, but that is because my gear is entry level so it would only do so much. I am doing more and more, so at some point, I hope to get into that realm.

tonyb wrote: »
    Thats the whole point LW, measurements don't equate completely to what is heard. Some will stand by the theory that if it's audible, it can be measured. I say bah-humbug.

It's quite true. Sound is simply various wavelengths traveling through a medium of space. There are ways to analyze this scientifically. We can hear it, animals and even bugs can hear it, but can you hear the music? I can, but some can't or don't. I have a friend who views food as simply nutrition and fuel. That too can be scientifically tested, but it doesn't explain why certain foods are best paired with others. My wife has an art gallery and sells paintings over $60,000. To most that is obscene, but to the person willing to buy it, it is more than simply light reflections of various spectrum and textures. It is something that takes them to another place, and if they can afford it, they will. I feel the more educated you are about what to look for, the more you will get out of it whether it be music, or sports, food, paintings, whatever.

I can't legitimately get into this debate as I'm the most uneducated about it, but I do read the debates and think it is interesting. On one thread I read that thousand plus dollar MIT cable was no better than Romex. Being almost broke after putting money into my speakers, I experimented by using 14 gauge Romex I had already in the house unused from installing some outlets. I noticed a big difference right away. So.... I replaced my 18 gauge speaker wire with thicker speaker wire from Home Depot, and did away with the Romex. The improvement was obviously due to a bigger wire with more copper. The Romex lacked something, although it was hitting highs and lows. It simply lacked the musical quality I was yearning for. I then spent money on the best speaker wire I could afford at the time, and it was better than both the previous wire and the Romex. It's possible that the Romex would be argued identical to the speaker wire, but my ears were definitely not deceiving me. I haven't gone to high grade wire yet, but my system isn't there yet either. It seems to be a bit of a stretch for me now to spend 10% of my system cost on wires, but one day I'll be in a position to do just that.

I don't know why wires would be better than others, but clearly they are. I have guitar cables that go bad after some time. They are still connected fine, no crimps, rust or anything, but they go bad. Same with some of my rca cables. I had an hdmi cable that wouldn't be recognized by my tv while a better cable would. The bad cable would work for some things, but not on the higher end tv. I have no problem spending money on certain things for quality.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • sk1939
    sk1939 Posts: 295
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This cable debate is so old. Some people believe, some don't. Guitar cables usually go bad because the wires internally break (28 gauge) or short.

For my LSI 9's (arrived this weekend), I found that a Woods 14gauge extension cord works just fine with my Onkyo, especially since nothing else will fit on the terminals other than bare wire. For my Dynaudio's, I haven't noticed a difference between Hosa and Mogami cables, other than the $40 price difference. However, my sources are 1. My PC with an Audigy 2ZS and 2. Onkyo SACD player with CD's, so that may have something to do with it.
    Home:
    Onkyo TX-6500MKII/Polk LSI 9's (A)Polk TSi 100(B)/Polk PSW 10/Onkyo C-S5VL/Technics SL-QD33
    Home 2 (Playback):
    Dynaudio BM5A MKII/Dynaudio SUB 250MC/Audigy 2 ZS
    College:
    JBL LSR 2325P/JBL 2310SP/MOTU UltraLite MKIII
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,912
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Every cable swap may not yield an audible difference, especially when sticking in the same price class. Not that it doesn't happen either, but if you don't experiment alittle, in different price classes, then you'll never know for sure. Also the more revealing your system becomes, the more apparent the differences in cables become. Thats the beauty of this hobby, experimenting, finding that sound you can live with for a long time,and who knows, along the way you may learn something too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm going to beer school tonight, might have a pumpkin ale just in honor of this thread. I might use regular glass, but since I'm really into my beer experience, I might use some rare hand blown crystal glass held up to my lips by a scantily clad hot princess wearing $500,000 in pastie jewelry. I guarantee I will be able to tell the difference.

To each his own, and I won't discourage anyone from doing the same. As my old friend once said, "go get you some brother".

and thanks for the info on the guitar cable. It was always a mystery to me.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe