PSN Blackout: You Get What You...Pay For

Comments

• Anonymoose
    Anonymoose Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Keiko wrote: »
    I'm done with all Sony products after this. Once my PS3 bites it, that's it. I've owned several of their products, some higher end and never found them to be that reliable. I never received any email warning me about a breach or that my personal info may have been put at risk. Like I said, this is till Sony's pooch and if this is the way they're going to treat their customers, they can kma.

They emailed people who that affected. So no email means no worries for you.
  • GoBigBlue
    GoBigBlue Posts: 212
    edited April 2011
    you sir, have a problem... that stuff is NASTY!

Don't judge. Those are the nights my Polk system gets a real work-out.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2011
    Riiiiight....

actually I did *finally* get an email from them late last night. It is beyond me as to why they didn't just come forward and send out the email right away as soon as they were hacked. Completely and utterly stupid.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2011
    I'm done with all Sony products after this. Once my PS3 bites it, that's it. I've owned several of their products, some higher end and never found them to be that reliable. I never received any email warning me about a breach or that my personal info may have been put at risk. Like I said, this is till Sony's pooch and if this is the way they're going to treat their customers, they can kma.
    I gotta say, normally I'm not one to overreact and would typically laugh at someone who makes a statement like that, arguing that its absurd to leave a company over one incident.

However, in this case I'm inclined to agree with you here. The fact that it ever happened is absurd, the fact that it took them so long to tell us about it is inexcusable.
  • Anonymoose
    Anonymoose Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    I'm just gonna go and not purchase anything using my credit card =/
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2011
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44114/Geohotz-PSN-hack-is-not-cool
    Hate to say it, but I totally agree with the guy.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2011
    So far my card information has not been compromised and I do think Sony screwed up massively.

However, this has nothing to do with PSN being free, it has to do with Sony stirring the hive and angst filled hackers attacking, that combined with sub par security.

Sony undoubtedly made a major oversight in this case, as did MS with the record setting failure rates of Xbox 360 hardware.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44114/Geohotz-PSN-hack-is-not-cool
    Hate to say it, but I totally agree with the guy.

+1

The guy is a security expert, pretty much knows Sony first hand, is in the 'in' with the hacker community and had every reason to be a dick against Sony (after his run in) but didn't.

I don't see him list PSN's lack of subscription fees as the sole reason to this breach.
  • Ace944gs
    Ace944gs Posts: 110
    edited April 2011
    I also FINALLY got an email last night regarding the possible data breach containing my personal information. I knew I was probably involved in the breach, but that is a long time to wait to confirm.

My biggest problem with SONY all these years has been their terrible attempt at closed systems. There are plenty of companies that do this, but do it well (e.g. Apple). SONY has consistently screwed customers by insisting on custom connectors or software (rootkit, anyone?), and the PSN is another example of this. I'm not exactly sure why I was required to be logged into the PSN to play Netflix, Hulu, or NHL GameCenter apps. Second, although I don't game, and never use the PS3 other than the above apps + DVD/BR player, I was forced to provide a credit card to download the GameCenter app. Clearly, they saved that information somewhere and now I'm paying for it.

I'm probably just ranting here, but I'm pissed that they don't learn from their mistakes, insist on customers using their system, but then don't provide the back-end support that customers require. I'm not upset at closed systems; I'm upset at closed systems that don't offer much benefit to the consumer, and are implemented/protected so poorly the customer ends up worse for the wear.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2011
    When my Xbox 360 gave me the RRoD, MS extended the warranty to 3 years, fixed my unit, and sent it back in 2 weeks (IIRC).

My first PS3 was returned because the internal fans were stuck at full speed so it sounded like a Harrier Jumpjet taking off in the living room. I promptly returned it to the store.

When my 2nd PS3 started to hiccup when attempting to read Blu-rays after I performed an update 1 month past the warranty date (month 13), Sony gave me the bird. Now, this.

I'm done with Sony.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    psstoretopdownloads.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    When my Xbox 360 gave me the RRoD, MS extended the warranty to 3 years, fixed my unit, and sent it back in 2 weeks (IIRC).

My first PS3 was returned because the internal fans were stuck at full speed so it sounded like a Harrier Jumpjet taking off in the living room. I promptly returned it to the store.

When my 2nd PS3 started to hiccup when attempting to read Blu-rays after I performed an update 1 month past the warranty date (month 13), Sony gave me the bird. Now, this.

I'm done with Sony.

I get your point, but as I'm on my 12th 360 since launch (and no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't really ding Sony on their relatively minor hardware issues. :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • GoBigBlue
    GoBigBlue Posts: 212
    edited April 2011
    I get your point, but as I'm on my 12th 360 since launch (and no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't really ding Sony on their relatively minor hardware issues. :biggrin:

I've bought two PS3s and haven't had a problem with them. Ever. I've gone through so many Xbox 360s I can't count them. It's unfortunate this had to happen to Sony. Still a fan.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2011

LOL. Yeah, I remember reading about your 360 challenges. At least you don't have to shell out $180 to get it fixed or I'm hoping you didn't. And, a PS3 that can't read BR disks also cannot read game disks, or at least mine can't, which makes it a major hardware issue. No issues feeding it DVD's.
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    LOL. Yeah, I remember reading about your 360 challenges. At least you don't have to shell out $180 to get it fixed or I'm hoping you didn't. And, a PS3 that can't read BR disks also cannot read game disks, or at least mine can't, which makes it a major hardware issue. No issues feeding it DVD's.

No, they covered them all. Since then, I sold two and bought a 360 Slim and it's solid. Never bought a PS3 because I got an Oppo BDP-83 for my Blu-ray needs. If there were ever a Sony exclusive that I cared about though, I'd buy a PS3 just for the hell of it... though I hate the controller with a passion.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Face
    edited April 2011
    ysss wrote: »
    I don't see him list PSN's lack of subscription fees as the sole reason to this breach.

They have nothing to do with the breach, as mentioned earlier Sony was targeted for a reason. Even if there was a subscription fee they still would have been hit.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2011
    Well every time you use your credit card you are putting the number out there. Doenst matter how you use it.

At restaunts the waiter or waitress could have a portable skimmer in their apron. Swip your card through it on the way to the restraunts cash register.

Using it over the phone. You give the guy the number along with your billing and shipping address.

Places you purchase stuff saves your credit card number. They can be hacked just like the psn.

If you dont want your info out there then I would just use cash. Your info has probably been breached several times. It just didnt go main streem meadia news like the PSN.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2011
    Face wrote: »
    They have nothing to do with the breach, as mentioned earlier Sony was targeted for a reason. Even if there was a subscription fee they still would have been hit.

All organizations that are targeted by hackers are targeted for a reason. What does that have to do with the fact their their inferior security system/team failed to stop the attack on it's network and their customers?

The only reason this is news is because the hacker's were successful. You don't hear about all of the foiled or unsuccessful attacks. Getting hit doesn't mean squat unless the person(s) gets through and does damage.

Leaving a potential $3.5 billion dollar revenue stream on the table that's directly related to the service that was attacked is just plain dumb business. Whether it would have been or not, it's money that could have been spent to bolster a system that was weak and unstable prior to this failure. It's money that could have been spent to ensure, at the very least, that some needle dick hacker would have a much harder time being successful.

No security system is unable to be penetrated. That doesn't mean you leave your door wide open.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    All organizations that are targeted by hackers are targeted for a reason. What does that have to do with the fact their their inferior security system/team failed to stop the attack on it's network and their customers?

The only reason this is news is because the hacker's were successful. You don't hear about all of the foiled or unsuccessful attacks. Getting hit doesn't mean squat unless the person(s) gets through and does damage.

Leaving a potential $3.5 billion dollar revenue stream on the table that's directly related to the service that was attacked is just plain dumb business. Whether it would have been or not, it's money that could have been spent to bolster a system that was weak and unstable prior to this failure. It's money that could have been spent to ensure, at the very least, that some needle dick hacker would have a much harder time being successful.

No security system is unable to be penetrated. That doesn't mean you leave your door wide open.

This $3.5 billion dollar windfall you keep talking about is nothing but BS. You honestly think that if Sony had charged for PSN access from the beginning it would have had NO effect on its hardware and software sales? I for one would have never bought a PS3, or the dozens of PS3 and PSP games on PSN if there had been an access charge. You keep trying to simplify complex things into smaller things that fit into the mold YOU want.

I cannot understand how you fail to see that PSN is NOT free. Just because people are not paying a fee directly designated as an access fee like MS does with Xbox, does not mean the service is free. Its no more free for the user than it is for Sony to run it.

Did Microsoft spend more money on its network infrastructure than Sony? I'm guessing so. Does spending more money on a network infrastructure increase its security? In all likelihood, yes. Does that money specifically have to come from a separate revenue stream that's designated as an access fee? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

If you came into this thread saying Sony screwed up and should have spent more money securing its network, there would not be ONE person disagreeing with you. But you are SOOOO hung up on pissing off some PS3 fanboys who pissed in your Wheaties, you can't see past the end of your nose. I'm still in disbelief that you can't wrap you head around the simple concept that Sony and MS simply chose two different pricing models to pay for their network -- one with fees hidden in costs for hardware/software, and the other with a distinct designated access fee.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2011
    One thing I haven't seen anyone mention (at least from my skimming) is the fact that the monthly fee is nice and all, but it's really the "micro transactions" for both Sony and Microsoft that make the bankroll. The COD map packs for example are just insane in regards to how many people pick them up at $15 a pop. I know they don't get all the money, but even their cut is a nice chunk.

Long story short, I'm guessing the majority of the profit derived from online console usage are more related to the "nickel and diming" of today's gamers. Want the throw back jerseys for your football team? You can have them for 2.99. Old stadiums in MLB 11? Have at it for 3-5$.

And as an aside, why is no one comparing Nintendo here. They offer online play, as well as a few online apps and all that is free of charge. Granted it's a somewhat different client base, and you don't buy a Wii with online play as your primary objective, but in the end it's still the same idea right? I'm asking b/c I honestly don't know how their "online community" is structured.

Either way, I'm supremely pissed at how Sony has handled this situation. It was like they knew they'd gotten caught cheating and were afraid to go home to the wife or something. It doesn't change anything Sony....you still dropped the ball.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2011
    late to the game. what's up 'vryone? i never put my card info on psn. am i safe? yeah, i'm lazy. hook me up.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited April 2011
    Every Sony receiver I've owned had problems or simply died. I went through three PS3's before giving up. Everyone of them had problems overheating and made blu rays unwatchable. Of all the electronic companies out there, I'd have to say Sony is among the worst when it comes to reliability.

With that said, my Sony CRT and dvd player(which has seen a LOT of use) are still going strong. Even my PS2 still works.

I have no bias against Sony. I know a lot of people who own PS3's and haven't had any hardware issues. I own a 360 and it's been a pain in the **** since day one.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    2011-04-25.png
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    edited April 2011
    Maybe I am just lucky in regard to Sony products. Everything I have owned as been rock solid, including current gear in my signature. I have a 32 inch XBR purchased in 1994, still has the same picture quality, as the day it was new. I am a " Sony guy", however I am not impressed with the way they have handled this current issue.
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2011
    This thread and topic is beyond lame already. Sure you can't game on the PSN right now... get over it. Spend time working on the house or with your loved ones. Hell, spend more time watching movies and enjoying your Polk speakers. [/topic]
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    edited April 2011
    Toxis, is not wrong.................................................
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    Face wrote: »

Uh, that was exactly my point?
  • Face
    edited April 2011
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2011
    http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979278206

Now classified as an act of terrorism. Let's see how long it takes to catch the hackers now...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.