Unstrap those amps for your SDA's

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,947
edited February 2011 in Vintage Speakers
Well I unstrapped my amps and have a AI-1 cable in the mix. I have always had to strap my neg's on my amps for my SDA's.

Well if one has not heard the SDA's without a amp or amps that did not have the neg's strapped you have no idea on what your missing. The AI-1 Cable gave the SDA's more life then I thought was possible.

The SDA effect is perfect in every way and with my new amps well it = audio heaven...

Get off your arse's and get to building yourself a AI-1 Cable your speakers and ears will thank you..
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Told ya.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I should also say I unstapped my Adcom GFA-5802 as well and I still could not beleive how much the strap took away from the clarity in sound. I personally think this is the one cable Polk should have available for the SDA enthusiast.

Yea I know they could make one, a better one at that but not all people have the skills to do so..
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What is the AI-1 cable? Can we argue about it?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Told ya.

Yea I wasted a lot of time in not doing so sooner..:tongue:
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »

Well before I hooked it up I banged it on the table for better clarity..:tongue:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen:wink:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm listening to Diana Krall right now and it is fantastic much much better then the A9's.

Not knocking the A9's as I was in awe of how they responded to these amps..
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Time to move the adcom to the HT rig and get that E*%^#*^ out.
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 2010
    Options
    too bad it would be such a pain to try out the LSI's on those amps... most likely for the best considering it would end up costing me a ton of money!
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Time to move the adcom to the HT rig and get that E*%^#*^ out.

Yep but I'm thinking of putting the Adcom in the bedroom with the 1C's
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yep but I'm thinking of putting the Adcom in the bedroom with the 1C's

And strap it. Lol
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    too bad it would be such a pain to try out the LSI's on those amps... most likely for the best considering it would end up costing me a ton of money!

It would be worth every bit of the hassle and gas.. trust me these are the sweetest amps I have yet to have my ears on and I'm not sure it can be topped..
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    And strap it. Lol

LOL!!!!!!:eek: NO I'm going to build 2 AI-1 cables
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You have 1Cs in your bedroom? Must be bigger than my HT room then!

Enjoy the space. Our house is a 110 years old and the rooms are pretty small--but many?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

Enjoy the space. Our house is a 110 years old and the rooms are pretty small--but many?

cnh

It's not that big but it gives them a home when I don't put them in the mix of the 2 channel and the wife likes them better when she wants to watch TV and just relax in there..
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited December 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

Add beams knock down walls....I did:biggrin:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well before I hooked it up I banged it on the table for better clarity..:tongue:

Sounds like something someone else on this forum would do,to protect his identity I'll just call him 'short wick'.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2010
    Options

Sure we can. I think it has something to with steak sauce doesn't it.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Sure we can. I think it has something to with steak sauce doesn't it.

Sweet....I knew someone would be able to help me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What the %uck is "unstrapping"? I'm using a Carver TFM-45 with my 1C's and a custom made effect cable (single plug). Can I "unstrap" mine and hear even more magic? What is this unstrapping you speak so enthusiastically of?
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2010
    Options
    first darqueknight, and now toolFFL. maybe it's time for myself to look into this. i've got my 5802 strapped just like them gangsta's 'roun' the co'nuh.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    BIZILL wrote: »
    first darqueknight, and now toolFFL. maybe it's time for myself to look into this. i've got my 5802 strapped just like them gangsta's 'roun' the co'nuh.

And the 5802 sounds great!!!! Wait till you build yourself a A1 cable, Yes it is that much better...you don't notice it till you do it..
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    What the %uck is "unstrapping"? I'm using a Carver TFM-45 with my 1C's and a custom made effect cable (single plug). Can I "unstrap" mine and hear even more magic? What is this unstrapping you speak so enthusiastically of?

you strap the grounds together if you have a non common ground amp.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Could someone make this real simple and provide a "strapped" diagram please? And what is an AI-1 cable? How does it differ from the stock cable?

Oh, and I'm bi-amping my SRS's...so anything different with this "strapping".?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well I have read that some people think tubes can take away from the Bass compared to a SS amp, well these amps lack nothing as a matter of fact they are deeper and tighter then my Adcom but these amps cost four times as much, so I doubt this is a fair comparison as these tube amps are very efficient.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hate to admit it, but i am with joe. not quite sure what the ...or should i say HOW the original polk a1 does what it does. normally i've just sorta skimmed over those threads. i entered into darqueknight's to admire the craftsmanship. i didn't realize it could be as inexpensive as has been declared.

time to get my learn on...again.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TFLF - Just relax and listen for awhile before you start thinking about different tubes and other stuff. You should get some Herbie's tube dampers now that I just said that.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Could someone make this real simple and provide a "strapped" diagram please? And what is an AI-1 cable? How does it differ from the stock cable?

Oh, and I'm bi-amping my SRS's...so anything different with this "strapping".?

Joe

Not sure it differs from the stock cable as long as you have a common ground amp,but taking a non common ground amp and strapping the neg's together and forcing it to be a common grond amp I think takes away from what the amp should be doing..

I'm not sure about it as I have never had a common ground amp but I do know that unstrapping these amps gave everything a new life..

others may chime in about it, but the whole strap the negs and your good to go saying is out the window for me. Sure it will get someone by for the time being but making a AI cable is not that exspensive..
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TFLF - Just relax and listen for awhile before you start thinking about different tubes and other stuff. You should get some Herbie's tube dampers now that I just said that.

Yea I'm going to keep them as is for a few as I still owe some money for these amps but they will be paid off in a couple of months. so I have some time and I also have a couple of small projects to finish as well..:tongue:

Herbie's is on my short list. Next big upgrade will be a SACD/CD player.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What tubes are they?