What is your TT rig?

124»

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2010
    steveinaz wrote:
    I REALLY like the Marantz. Adjustable tonearm, isolated motor, excellent build quality, and damn fine cartridge. I think I may have found the "just right" combination, even at it's $1499 typical price.

Here is an "open box" from Crutchfield for $1,350 and free shipping. The open box stuff I've bought from them in the past looked new to me. A great company to buy from as well.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_642TT15S1/Marantz-Reference-Series-br-TT-15S1.html?cc=02&search=marantz
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2010
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Now I'm leaning VERY hard towards the Clearaudio Concept. I'm reading alot about hum problems with Pro-ject, reliability problems with MMF, and Rega leaves out too many key features for the price tag (P3-24).

Now, before you Pro-ject, MMF, and Rega owners burn me to a crisp; YES, I realize that everyone has problems once in awhile, however, there are very repeatable and serious trends with the Pro-ject issues from the forums I have been on--I see a pattern, plain & simple. Same with MMF, but to a lesser degree; it goes something like this..."after the first year my motor started making noises....." The Rega's limitations are well known (No VTA, and shims are pricey) this just shouldn't "be" on a $1000 turntable, I don't care what your brand name is. My $600 1980's Yamaha had tone arm height adjustment capability. Though reliability seems to be a mainstay with Rega--so if I do stay under $1500, it'll be the Rega.

Steve, I've heard the Clearaudio Concept, and for under $2k I agree with Jeff Dorgay of TONEAudio, it's the standard. Jeff has a Continuim and other uber TT's and it takes a lot to impress him. Had I had an extra grand I would have bought it instead of the Rega RP1.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited December 2010
    I run a Clearaudio Champion II fitted with an SME 309 arm and Benz Micro Glider cart. This was an upgrade from a Rega Planar 3 with a RB-250 arm and Audio Note cart. Like going from a Chevy to a Mercedes. To a whole new level. It really got me back into vinyl in a big way.

clearaudio_championII.jpg
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2010
    Got my phono stage today, Sim Moon Audio LP3, $279 DEMO unit! Yeah baby! That's $300 bucks off.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    I run a Clearaudio Champion II fitted with an SME 309 arm and Benz Micro Glider cart. This was an upgrade from a Rega Planar 3 with a RB-250 arm and Audio Note cart. Like going from a Chevy to a Mercedes. To a whole new level. It really got me back into vinyl in a big way.

clearaudio_championII.jpg

I think I would just sit and look at that beauty for hours. Awesome.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2010
    That is truly a work of art!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2010
    Got my phono stage today, Sim Moon Audio LP3, $279 DEMO unit! Yeah baby! That's $300 bucks off.

I love my Sim LP5.3, everything they build performs well above it's price point. Great snag!!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010

That's a nice unit Steve. It gives you a plethora of loading option both resistive and capacitive!!! Plus IIRC it give you a range of gain adjustments.

GREAT SNAG STEVE!!!
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited December 2010
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited December 2010
    Doctor R wrote: »

Pretty, love the last shot on the right.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• doctor r
    edited December 2010
    Thanks. I love the modern industrial design. The Blackbird with the VAC are a sweet combination once I finally got the SRA properly dialed in. Aligned with a Mint protractor also.
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010

Gorgeous and that last shot just has me sporting wood!!! That is one of the coolest looking tables I've ever seen.:smile:
  • doctor r
    edited December 2010
    This is an interesting review of the table that started my investigation into OL products.
    Origin Live Aurora mk2
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    This is an interesting review of the table that started my investigation into OL products.
    Origin Live Aurora mk2

Great read Doc and the price almost had me hit the floor. That's a lot of table technology for a small price.:smile:
  • doctor r
    edited December 2010
    Spinning Chtistmas cheer on the old/new technology. Merry Chistmas.
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
  • doctorcilantro
    edited December 2010
    Still troubleshooting some whacked issues, possibly a colder solder joint, and ground loop issues but getting there. We get some cool light in this new apt. so I took a break. Nice to at least have it spinning after over a year of saving, building, and tweaking. I grabbed a record I knew I wouldn't rip as I have it on CD, it's actually a REALLY well recorded Culture album (one his last I think).

Man, video looks crappy, thanks YouTube for mangling my already sub-par iPhone video LOL (switch it to 480p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8sUsLEJ8jI
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    Hot damn Doc, everytime I see that TT of yours I sport wood!!!

"He covets!" ~ Hannibal Lecter
  • doctorcilantro
    edited December 2010
    thanks. Quid pro quo impared! ; )

I just can't get it all working, so close, Can't go into to details but maybe if I ever get it working 100% I'll post a sample.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    thanks. Quid pro quo impared! ; )

I just can't get it all working, so close, Can't go into to details but maybe if I ever get it working 100% I'll post a sample.

I hate to say after a year farting around to get it running just right but "patience grasshopper!"
  • doctorcilantro
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, getting there. Just so many variables with TT. Notcied that if I ground myself to the EP15 regnerator, the noisefloor drops about 5db on the meters. Need to Earth ground the chassis.

I already have the pre grounded to the table/arm (grounding to the motor housing makes no difference), but my dedicated ground pin on the Voice simply ADDS massive noise when connected to the preamp, but it didn't do this last week.

Need to check some more wiring tonight. What have I gotten myself into?
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, getting there. Just so many variables with TT. Notcied that if I ground myself to the EP15 regnerator, the noisefloor drops about 5db on the meters. Need to Earth ground the chassis.

I already have the pre grounded to the table/arm (grounding to the motor housing makes no difference), but my dedicated ground pin on the Voice simply ADDS massive noise when connected to the preamp, but it didn't do this last week.

Need to check some more wiring tonight. What have I gotten myself into?

I had similar problems last year when using a step-up transformer in the mix. Hum and stuff. I was pulling my hair out of my head (what's left) and finally I started to swap out different ICs going from the SME V tonarm cable to the phono pre. I found that if I put a Garth (very old solid silver core, silver solder high end cable from 15 years ago) IC the problems disappeared. However, I stepped up to an MIT Shotgun 3 IC and the problem returned. AFter talking to Joe Abrams who recommended doing 8 twists in the IC pair, the problem again was resolved. I'm still scratching my head over that one.:confused:
  • CSM41
    CSM41 Posts: 55
    edited December 2010
    Steve,

Not sure if you bought your TT yet, but I have some experience with the TT's you are looking at. I currently own both a Technics SL1200 MK II (Ortofon Headshell/Denon DL-160, otherwise stock) and the Music Hall MMF 5.1/Goldring 1012gx. Stock for stock I give the edge in sound quality to the 5.1. Build quality goes to the Technics. Modability to the Technics. After I added a Speedbox II to the 5.1 it got even better. I really don't feel like you can wrong with either. I have never had a problem with either deck and the sound quality of both is very good.

Now, if you have the money, you can't go wrong with the Clearadaudio or better yet, the VPI Classic. The VPI Classic is the deck I am saving for.
    #1 Pass F5/Dared Sl2000a/Nola Boxers/Basis Audio 1400/Audio Technica AT33EV Phono Cartridge/Cambridge Audio 640P-Hypno Modded/GF DAC09/CPU
    #2 Cayin A-50T /Hornshoppe Horns/Squeeze Box Touch/Simaudio Moon 100D DAC/Rythmic F12 Servo Sub
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    Haven't pulled the rigger yet, appreciate the reviews. The 5.1 might still be an option, as I'm still a bit apprehensive; and if I decide I'm sticking with vinyl, I can always get a Clearaudio later...
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited December 2010
    This has been my upgrade path since 12/2007

1) Rega P5, TTPSU, Rega Exact MM cartridge

2) Rega P7, Dynavector DV20X HO MC cartridge

3) Rega P9, Lyra Delos MC cartridge

Every step has revealed an improvement. Largest improvement was from the P7 to the P9
    [
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    miner wrote: »
    This has been my upgrade path since 12/2007

1) Rega P5, TTPSU, Rega Exact MM cartridge

2) Rega P7, Dynavector DV20X HO MC cartridge

3) Rega P9, Lyra Delos MC cartridge

Every step has revealed an improvement. Largest improvement was from the P7 to the P9

Nice climb! Lyra's are very nice sounding cartridges. Those Rega's get better and better.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2010
    Haven't pulled the rigger yet, appreciate the reviews. The 5.1 might still be an option, as I'm still a bit apprehensive; and if I decide I'm sticking with vinyl, I can always get a Clearaudio later...

I heard the 5.1 SE (SE is the walnut base) with the PS Audio preamp and was totally blown away with it! If I ever get a second room turntable it is high in the running.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2011
    Good to know, thanks Max
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2011
    Steve...IF you decide to continue down the vinyl path...I suggest you just decide on how much, what rig and jump in and do it. You can guess and second guess and guess some more as you continue to get "suggestions" and get no where other that even more undecided. Suggestions are basically opinions and you know what they say about opinions...

BTW...it's much easier to upgrade than to downgrade as you determine your entry point. Just an opinion...:wink:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2011
    Yep, 10-4. I'm holding off until we get the HDTV replacement lined up (plasma wallmount), as I have to clear room on the top of our cabinet. In my showcase, you'll see what I mean.