What is your TT rig?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited January 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
What turntable, pre, and cartridge do you run? What's your impressions of your setup?

I'm still researching/internally debating, but looking at:

-MMF 5.1se
-Cambridge 640p
-Goldring included w/5.1se (2400)

Depending on the outcome, I'll be doing some "sprucing up" later down the road.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    I'm still debating the "go cheap at first" (meaning the MF 2.2) and the "better to cry once" theory, and go for a VPI Scout or Clearaudio Concept; the Concept being my favored choice so far. The 5.1 could end up being the best of no worlds solution, but for now it seems like viable, and not to difficult to unload answer. Is my thinking flawed?

I'm also thinking that if I go "all in" and get the Concept or Scout, the 640p would be compromising the quality of the table. Ideas? Thoughts?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2010
    I run the Yamaha PX-3, Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp with a phono stage tweaked by Bob Carver, and a Sumiko Bluepoint Special EVOIII. It is by far the best sounding Phono setup I have ever had, and among the best I have personally heard. This is the last area of my setup I would change.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    John
    I had both th PX-3 and PF800 in the 80's, and sure do miss them, especially the PX-3.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2010
    Nada. Way ahead of vinyl.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    steveinaz wrote: »
    John
    I had both th PX-3 and PF800 in the 80's, and sure do miss them, especially the PX-3.

I have heard TT's that are 3500 bucks new, and the Yamaha sounds just as good. Mine was brand new in the box when I got it a year and a half ago. There are a few tables I would like to have more than this one, but there are none I am willing to drop that kind of coin to get.

If I were you, I would consider a vintage table, new cartridge, and a nice tube pre. By going this route, you can get world class sound and maybe save some money in the process.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited December 2010
    just the basics right now.
    I'd like an Oracle.

cartridge : Grado
    Turntable : Acoustic Research XA ( a restoration project )
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2010
    I use the Michell Orbe turntable, SME IV tone arm, Benz Ruby 3 cartridge and a Manley Steelhead pre. Modest system but sounds much better than my old close-and-play on most recordings.

Soundwise it puts you into the world of the recording. There is no detectable sonic signature which is applied to the sound. Listening to 100 LP's you get the sense that you heard 100 different vinyl systems.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    Keiko wrote: »
    I know a lot of they guys here have no love for direct drive, but I've been really pleased with my Technics SL-1210M5G. Added a few tweaks with a Herbies, Way Excellent Mat and I got Joe's last clamp. Combined with the DL160 my table sings. I'm eager to get the Dynavector dialed in now. I know the VPIs and the like are better tables, but for what I got invested, it's a tough rig to beat for the amount of $$$ involved. This is simply my humble opinion.

I also had an SL-1200 in the 80's, it was a nice TT. I went with an aftermarket headshell/cartridge, but can't remember what it was.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    madmax wrote: »
    I use the Michell Orbe turntable, SME IV tone arm, Benz Ruby 3 cartridge and a Manley Steelhead pre. Modest system but sounds much better than my old close-and-play on most recordings.

Soundwise it puts you into the world of the recording. There is no detectable sonic signature which is applied to the sound. Listening to 100 LP's you get the sense that you heard 100 different vinyl systems.

Modest? by whos measure? That's awesome.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2010
    I'm still debating the "go cheap at first" (meaning the MF 2.2) and the "better to cry once" theory, and go for a VPI Scout or Clearaudio Concept; the Concept being my favored choice so far. The 5.1 could end up being the best of no worlds solution, but for now it seems like viable, and not to difficult to unload answer. Is my thinking flawed?

I'm also thinking that if I go "all in" and get the Concept or Scout, the 640p would be compromising the quality of the table. Ideas? Thoughts?

Stevie, go for a VPI you won't buy another table for many, many years.

The VPI Classic is awesome! PM Sent your way.

My TT rig consists of the following;

VPI HW19 Mk IV hot rodded with TNT suspension, platter and a SAMA motor;
    SME Series V tonearm;
    ZYX Airy 3 Silver Base cartridge;
    Spectral DMC 10G phono pre.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2010
    I know a lot of they guys here have no love for direct drive, but I've been really pleased with my Technics SL-1210M5G. Added a few tweaks with a Herbies, Way Excellent Mat and I got Joe's last clamp. Combined with the DL160 my table sings. I'm eager to get the Dynavector dialed in now. I know the VPIs and the like are better tables, but for what I got invested, it's a tough rig to beat for the amount of $$$ involved. This is simply my humble opinion.

Same thing here pretty much, and very happy. I have heard a few much higher end setups, but I would have to spend at least 3 times as much for a small gain.
    Technics 1210
    Denon DL-160
    Herbies mat
    A decent clamp per Joe's suggestion
    replaced the RCA's on the cable

As for future mods.
    Tone arm Cardas rewire
    Remove hardwired phono cable and replace with nice RCA's
    New IC cable
    and I will be totally satisfied for a while:wink:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited December 2010
    Rega P3-24 w/Elys2 to MF A5 phono.

Dynavector cart and separate power supply have been contemplated recently. (Changing some other things first!)

The trick with vinyl is you actually have to have quality vinyl on hand to play it and enjoy it. It can be time consuming to get good vinyl, either in time spent searching and or cleaning. The other option is just just to open your wallet and pay for some new vinyl. At $20-$30 a pop that can be costly to grow a collection as large as most CD (or GASP mp3) collections. Without enough nice material you will likely become bored and possibly lose interest or go broke buying more.

It is a labor of love to some degree and requires your time. For me the jury is still out. I really love listening to some of the records I have.

Is it worth what I've put in thus far?? I don't have the answer yet. I have a bunch of things up in the air in terms of records still requiring cleaning and getting my room organized etc.

Vinyl appears to be an deal where you are either into it or not. The question about crying once or multiple times is a good one. My original purchase is this Rega. That's how I answered this question for myself.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Rich
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Same thing here pretty much, and very happy. I have heard a few much higher end setups, but I would have to spend at least 3 times as much for a small gain.
    Technics 1210
    Denon DL-160
    Herbies mat
    A decent clamp per Joe's suggestion
    replaced the RCA's on the cable

As for future mods.
    Tone arm Cardas rewire
    Remove hardwired phono cable and replace with nice RCA's
    New IC cable
    and I will be totally satisfied for a while:wink:

Ben, use a tuner output to burn in those Cardas wire as they take forever to burnin due to the ultra low voltage. Mine still need a little more time to burnin and I've had them in my tonearm for a looooooooong time.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2010
    Technics SL-5 that George Grand found on top of a trash can. Thanks George. A Dshibata Stylus put on an Audio Technica cartridge body using the built in phono pre on my integrated.

Sounds better than it should.

I have my Technics SL-5 table that I bought in high school as a back up.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2010
    Buying vinyl does not have to be an expensive proposition. Most of my collection(500+) came from yard sales and thrift stores for a buck each or less. I have a few titles that I paid more for new, but by and large, it was much cheaper and more fun than CD's... I have even tried several artists that I would have taken a pass on otherwise.

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    Keiko wrote: »
    You don't need all that junk cluttering your house, Gus. You should just send it all over to me. :rolleyes: :tongue:

You have got a good case!:rolleyes: Hey I may just do that if the insurance company pays out . . . :cool:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2010
    Ben, use a tuner output to burn in those Cardas wire as they take forever to burnin due to the ultra low voltage. Mine still need a little more time to burnin and I've had them in my tonearm for a looooooooong time.

Good idea. I may just use a CDP on repeat. 2vrms is a lot faster than what the cartridge is putting out.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    Stevie, go for a VPI you won't buy another table for many, many years.

The VPI Classic is awesome! PM Sent your way.

Got it, thank you bubba!
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2010
    Will I have any issues driving a passive linestage (placette) with a phono pre?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2010
    VPI Scout with Dynavector 20 XL --Cinemag 3440 SUT--(auditioning Carls Cornet II) I would describe the sound as organic,realistic,,just a few rows back.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2010
    The normal LR hifi uses a Marantz TT-15S1 (factory equipped with the 'spensive but rather mediocre Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony MM cartridge) and a Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp.

TT15S1.jpg

DSCN5316.jpg
    P1020755.jpg

Right this minute, the tt has been swapped for a dump find Technics SL-Q2 (don't laugh) while I was testing a cheap new Denon DL-103 LOMC. The SUT used is a DIY (thanks to Gary Kaufman!) using vintage NOS Triad transformers, thence to the Seduction. The sound quality is tremendous relative to my tastes; the $118 Denon leaves the $800-ish CA in the metaphorical dust. This photo shows the SL-Q2 as found, with an Acutex MM cartridge

SLQ2DDTT.jpg
    MCSUT2.jpg

I need to try the DL-103 in the Marantz... the Marantz's Clearaudio Satisfy (ebony wand) arm is much lighter than the Technics'; it's a tossup as to whether the DL-103 will be acceptable in that arm - gotta try, though... one of these days.

Now... don't ask me what tubes are in the Seduction - I don't remember! I think they're some flavor of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s... but I'd have to actually check.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited December 2010
    My vintage rig has a Dual 505-2 Deluxe with Orto OM5E into a Yammy CA800 integrated .
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2010
    The CA-800 is a nice amplifier; do you use it in Class A?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2010
    VPI Scout, Grado Statement Platinum, Cambridge Audio PP. Yes, I dislike vinyl...it's what I built for my stepdad...and yes, it actually sounds pretty good douchebags :wink:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2010
    Will I have any issues driving a passive linestage (placette) with a phono pre?

depends upon the phono preamp;
    that's the way I run my Seduction.
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The CA-800 is a nice amplifier;
    Definately one of the best sounding vintage Japanese pieces I've heard.
    do you use it in Class A
    You bet:wink:Eventhough the output level in this mode is quite restricted with my low sensitivity mini monitors(atleast with some material),I do hear an appreciable difference vs the Normal or Class B mode.

When in Class A mode I can actually smell the aroma of hot electronics from a few feet away.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2010
    Mine doesn't seem to run stoopit hot (although they definitely have that reputation).

Sorry for the thread detour. How's the phono preamp in the CA-800? I've never tried it.

The phono preamp in my venerable CA-610II is perfectly respectable (although it's been about 20 years since I last actually listened to it).
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Good idea. I may just use a CDP on repeat. 2vrms is a lot faster than what the cartridge is putting out.

You can do that too. JM1 (John) has a thread or a post somewhere here where he has a picture and a description of how he burned in his tonearm cables using a tuner. See if you can find it or just PM John.
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited December 2010
    All I wanted to do was play the 400ish LPs I had. Almost purchased a current Technics 1200 series TT.

Don't exactly recall what happened, but I ended up with a VPI Scout, Dynavector 10x5 and PSA GCPH. Having heard some better TTs, improvements were implemented to improve the sonic characteristics.

The latest incarnation of the TT:

Custom plinth (direct replacement for the Scout dimensions)
    JMW-9 Signature tonearm
    Super Platter
    Single Motor Flywheel Rim Drive
    Periphery ring clamp
    SDS
    TTWeights brass center weight
    TTWeights Soundpoints brass feet
    ZYX Fuji cart
    PSA GCPH (will get the mods installed beginning of 2011)
    Mint LP protractor

There are now about 5000 LPs around the house.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mine doesn't seem to run stoopit hot .
    Stoopit hot,I think thats an apt description for mine.:smile:
    How's the phono preamp in the CA-800?
    Decent actually and quieter than I expected considering it's age and it's still a virgin.(As in never been molested by a soldering iron though a refurb might be in order).