2010 Polkfest, rockin dirty Jersey!!

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Sal.

Jimmy D/retired plumber/North Jersey

Noah started smoking, so I finally found something other than the free chips to like him for. He ever gets into laughing gas or hashish and we're going to be best pals.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2010
    Noah started smoking, so I finally found something other than the free chips to like him for. He ever gets into laughing gas or hashish and we're going to be best pals.

With any luck, you can go back to hating me shortly... After this weekend I decided to try my hand at quitting (again). That pack I bought Saturday evening was almost gone by Sunday morning. Ugh.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone ever noticed that Noah sounds like Crispin Glover? To me he sounds just like him...but that could just be the alcohol....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited October 2010
    Looks like you all had a blast. Would have been great to attend and meet some of you(even tho I don't drink lol) Hope to make it to one of these some day, even tho I just found out about this place not too long ago:p:o All this talk about having it in Hawaii sure does have me interested tho:p Hmmmm, wonder if my fiance would let me go there without her:confused:
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    The food. How could I forget about the food?? I brought home 5 extra pounds and that's not in gear or CD's.

Friday night we checked in at the hotel and went directly to Lou's. We were VERY hungry and wanted to see if there was something to eat, or else we would go out to find something. Well, as soon as we got there and said hi to everyone, Lou came in with a plate of cheeseburgers. Those were some of the best tasting cheeseburgers I've tried!!!

On Saturday Brock, Doug and I went to NY City in the morning (RIGHT AFTER A COPIOUS BREAKFAST BUFET AT THE HOLIDAY INN), and then stopped at Tunes, a pretty cool used CD/LP store in Hoboken, NJ. We had to drag Brock out of the $1 CD's bin at 1:30 pm. We were hungry, so went to a Malaysian restaurant close by. Good, abundant food. I easily ate two pounds of noodles, shrimp and mushrooms.
    Who would've thought that when we made it to Lou's around 3 pm, Anthony had those amazing sausages coming out of the grill, I swear I didn't eat less than seven of those. And of course the pork that Phil brought. Oh my god that thing was good, And you guys are lucky you can get that kind of bread!!!

And then there was the beer, the TEQUILA and the Makers MArk....but that's another astory.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2010
    Are we going to post pics in the Showcase like every other year? I have a couple dozen that I could probably post 8-10 of them. Some are redundant but it would be cool to put them all in on place for future visiting.

Still reflecting on a great weekend. Dead tired, trying to unpack and get ready for reality tomorrow.

Again thanks to Lou and Polk Audio for putting on such a fine event. Anthony those sausages were the bomb and believe me up until about an hour ago they were still with me.

Phil the pork was outstanding. The choice of beer and other alcohol were top notch and enjoyed doing shots of Tequila and Makers Mark with Doro and Ricardo and John and Steve, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2010
    Ya know, I think Al said it best. Why do we go these things? Because our friends are there...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2010
    amulford wrote: »
    Ya know, I think Al said it best. Why do we go these things? Because our friends are there...

Yeah, just wished some more of those friends who didn't make it had come.

BTW, waaaaaaaay too much corn, dude.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2010
    Ok. I missed the corn. Damn.

Feeling better John? Don't pay atention to those that make fun of you. They are just jealous because they wish they knew half of what you know.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • amulford
    edited October 2010
    If we didn't have so much other food i would have cooked it. did you try it yet? I'd venture to guess that corn would have went down like loose panties on prom night...
  • Jstas
    edited October 2010
    Nah Ricardo, you didn't miss the corn. Antny got a bushel of it and we didn't get to cook it. We tried to pass it off to some to take some home with them but they all said thanks but no. Lou took some and I thought it was a good dent but it wasn't even a quarter.

Antny, I brought the rest home. The **** in me won't let food go to waste. So I've been cooking what was left today and taking it off the cob. I have a gallon and a half of kernals in the freezer already and still have 10 more cobs to break down.

It's good but I don't think it's Jersey Silver Queen. It looks like regular yellow sweet corn. Either way, you're right. If we had gotten a chance to cook it, most of it would have disappeared pretty quick. I'm gonna make some corn chowder, maybe some fritters with this too. Might make some good salsa with it too. My brother has some chilli peppers that are ripening and my mom has a bunch of small, late season tomatoes and peppers she doesn't know what to do with. All I need is a fat Vidalia onion and it'll make a great sweet and spicy salsa. Have to have a "Drink My Beer" party.

• amulford
    edited October 2010
    Good deal...I live right up the road from a killer stand. It's been a good year for corn, but that is a late batch. Salsa sounds good...

Hey, I got a case of long hots if you want some. They'll light a fire in your colon...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2010
    Would have been great to attend and meet some of you(even tho I don't drink lol)

Not a problem. There were several in attendance that never drank a drop of alcohol and to the best of my knowledge it did not damper their PF one bit.

Of course that makes the amount of alcohol consumed by the rest of the participants even more impressive.
    Hmmmm, wonder if my fiance would let me go there without her:confused:

If not...you might want to look for a different fiance.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Jstas
    edited October 2010
    Oh and I felt fine on Sunday. My shoulders were killing me and my neck was stiff from sleeping on the floor. I didn't want to wake Dave up getting my stuff out of his room. He was just as beat tired as I was. I was flat out exhausted on Sunday. Not getting much sleep on the floor didn't help that either. Alot of effort and time went in to preparing for the fest. It wasn't easy moving furniture around as well as audio equipment and keeping up with all the requests for tools and where the bathroom was and so on. Dave put in more time than I did but there was plenty of work to go around when I got there. The only downtime we had besides sleeping was Friday morning waiting for all you yahoos to show up.

• Jstas
    edited October 2010
    amulford wrote: »
    Good deal...I live right up the road from a killer stand. It's been a good year for corn, but that is a late batch. Salsa sounds good...

Hey, I got a case of long hots if you want some. They'll light a fire in your colon...

No, thanks! I've had enough "Angry ****" from this past weekend to last me through the end of the year!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2010
    Another successful Polkfest is in the history book. My thanks to Lou for hosting and putting up with all of us, damn fine job, sir!

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. After all, it's one of the purposes of Polkfest. Another is showing our support and gratitude to Polk Audio as without them, none of this would have ever been possible. Every Polkie should attend at least one Polkfest as only then will you truly understand why we refer to other Club Polk members as family. Besides that, it's the only way to get a limited edition Polk Audio Polkfest shirt, which is beyond way cool.

The new LSiM's are going to be a major improvement over the previous version. Sounding a little thin and bright on Friday, a change of gear on Saturday resulted in a vastly improved sound coming from those big, beautiful cabinets. Better start saving your pennies folks, this one has winner written all over it.

If nothing else folks, remember this.......garbage in, garbage out. Yes, it really does start at the source. (Special note to Bernal, it's not spectacular for music)

I was more than a little stunned when one of my raffle numbers was called as I never win anything. I was even more stunned when I learned what I had won... a pair of new RTi A7's. My sincere thanks to Al, Patrick and all the good folks at Polk Audio. In case some of you still don't know, the proceeds of the Polkfest raffle go to the Githens Center, so your money is going to help some good folks regardless of anything else and that is the best part about it.

On another note, whomever designed the roads up there is/was an idiot.

All for now, I can hardly wait for the next one and hope to see you there.

BTW.....Mark, where's my damn shirt?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited October 2010
    shack wrote: »
    If not...you might want to look for a different fiance.

I'd bring her along but I'm not letting these pervs any where near her:p:p:p And it was hard enough finding this one, shes a good one...and I'm not a so called "catch":p:p:p so I'm definitely the lucky one in this relationship:eek::eek::eek: lol
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2010
    I'd bring her along but I'm not letting these pervs any where near her:p:p:p

Didn't you read, we are moral men?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2010
    Patrick and Doro get to hang with Al. I think those guys already know how fortunate they are. He is constantly well-versing them. How cool is THAT?

Nice work Al.

You are so right George and he's become a close personal friend to boot. Sorry about the phone call thing but it was the only number I had at the time. Another guy you would get along famously with would be Len Shufelt....and you'll meet him when you come down for the next one, wink wink.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2010
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You are so right George and he's become a close personal friend to boot. Sorry about the phone call thing but it was the only number I had at the time. Another guy you would get along famously with would be Len Shufelt....and you'll meet him when you come down for the next one, wink wink.

Len is awesome! I missed my tour group moving on to the next location at one of the HQ tours 'cause Len and I started talking.

• Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited October 2010

I didn't win a thing at the raffle...it was obviously rigged by BigDawg...

I guess it was kinda obvious, huh?

Lou, thanks again for putting on a great PF. It was a great way for me to experience my first, but certainly not my last. How awesome is it to hang out in a great place filled with cool people eating tasty food, drinking copious and potent potables, and listening to some very sweet gear.

I too enjoyed "talking shop" with Al and Patrick, and got a nice little taste of Mark's affection, misplaced or otherwise. Along with their generous contributions, they just reinforce why Polk is a company worthy of our loyalty and affection.

To all my new friends, it was my honor to meet you all. I'm looking forward to the next one!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2010
    Finally after some sleep and time to reflect.

Another GREAT Polkfest. Kudos to Lou and everyone who had a hand in pulling this thing off. Other than the event at HQ, this had to be the largest with 35+ attendees.

Like I said earlier...for those who could not attend for legit reasons...we missed you and you missed a great time. I'm sorry. For those who just decided not to come for no good reason...who cares...your loss.

I missed a great one and having a good reason doesn't take the sting or pain away as this looked like the best one yet. I was really looking forward to seeing all my old friends and the new ones I've met through PMs or telephone calls. Man, I can't seem to shake this horrible sense of loss.:(

George great intake for the Githen's center! That really warms my heart. I'm sorry I couldn't get my raffle contribution there. Perhaps, if you wish, I could send it or take a drive up with Antny and deliver it and you could get some cash for it.:)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2010
    And Antny's honey NeeCee is a honey. Looking and smelling very nice. Thanks Babe!
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2010
    And Antny's honey NeeCee is a honey. Looking and smelling very nice. Thanks Babe!

George, you can't just say that. We need the details.

SOPA
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2010
    Patrick C wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have created a repository in the system showcase for Polk Fest 2010 images. If you have images to post and would like to do so please PM me so I can give you the username and password.

Thanks Patrick, I got the info and I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Thanks Patrick, I got the info and I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

H9

Just don't post any pictures taken at the Ruby Lounge :eek::eek:

SOPA
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Joe I guess you'll just have to host the next Fest!

Maybe if I can merge my home and my neighbor's home there would be room. Remember how crowded it was here with 8 guys? Well 9 if I count you twice!:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2010
    I've had enough of the East Coast....sure would be nice if someone out west would finally step up to the plate.

Two years from now is the 40th anniversary of Polk Audio, so it will be in the Baltimore area again....as well as a big HQ shindig.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2010
    Patrick - are you able to take all the IP addresses of active/frequently posting CP members and assign a geo-location and then map them to find out where the best locations are to hold a PolkFest?

It's also tough to find people who are willing and able to open up their personal residence for an event like PolkFest, without divorce attorneys being involved! Would it work to rent a hotel suite/conference room or other local spot and bring gear to set up?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2010
    It's been a few days, and well I'm still recovering essentially from the lack of sleep and have been mega busy--I'll get some thoughts, pics and vids posted soon.

In the meantime I had a blast at my first PolkFest--It wasn't in the cards for me for PF 08 or 09, and I've always regretted missing them, but this time I was not, especially only being about 100 miles and a short 2 hr drive from my house!! I even canceled the Cub Scout camping trip with my son among other events just to be sure I didn't miss this one (I'll take my boy camping another time-of that there is no doubt). I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I think I met just about everybody that was in attendance. It was great to finally put some online personalities to some faces. Some of you just don't fit the online image I had, but that might be a good thing ;).

I had a great time hanging out, chatting, listening, gear swapping, collecting evidence photos and vids for later use :p as well as making drunkards more comfortable. Overall a memorable experience that I won't soon forget-memories of a lifetime.
    I didn't get to try the Pork, but the Macaroni was indeed awesome! I had about 6 sausage links and I believe I had the last and final one behind Ted, just before the official end of PolkFest 2010. The cheeseburgers were top notch!!
    So much sausage there I guess you could say it was actually a Sausage fest no?:rolleyes:

Thanks to Lou and his wife for hosting the event and making me feel at home. And also a big round of applause to PolkAudio and you guys that went above and beyond to help him make this the success is was.

That's all for now :D

-Michael

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's