Famous quotes

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2009
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Seems to mostly be attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
    That's the one I was looking for! Thanks and it holds true.

..maybe I should adhere to this one....????
  • williamgauci
    williamgauci Posts: 88
    edited April 2009
    "Common Sense is the least common of all senses." - No idea who, sounds like a Twain though.
    edited April 2009
    "Don't get no higher than pickin' corn nor lower than diggin' taters and you'll probably stay safe"

"You cain't whup nuttin what lays down to fight"

"Don't cull no naked gals, it might be the best ya never had"

From my dad in 07/67 as I was getting on the big silver bird headed to the MCRD . Semper Fi
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2009
    "To do is to be" - Nietzsche
    "To be is to do" - Kant
    "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra
    "Yabba Dabba Do" - Fred Flinstone
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    "That what I don't know, I don't think I know" - Socrates

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • POIDOG
    POIDOG Posts: 391
    edited April 2009
    Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is- Mark Twain

Chong to Cheech, " I have the key " to which Cheech replied, "Man my balls itch, my balls itch."
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited April 2009
    "The rich and the poor have a common bond, the LORD is the maker of them all." - Solomon
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2009
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body—but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, ‘Wow, what a ride!’ ”
    Unknown

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2009
    Don't steal! The Government hates competition.

Bumper sticker
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2009
    Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
    -Groucho Marx

The gross heathenism of civilization has generally destroyed nature, and poetry, and all that is spiritual.
    -John Muir
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited April 2009
    "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be very carefully used and that definite rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible."

Just what I need. The right of some red neck a-hole to blow my head off. What has this country come to?
  • Conradicles
    edited April 2009
    Who said that?
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2009
    Don't let the @ssholes win

You get what you are willing to accept

-me
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2009
    wz2p7j wrote: »
    "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be very carefully used and that definite rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible."

Just what I need. The right of some red neck a-hole to blow my head off. What has this country come to?

Come to? it has always been that way
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2009

Wow, really? It's the SECOND Amendment. When they were making a list of important founding principles of the country, that was the second one they thought of. Coming to?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2009

let me guess, you don't support a person's constitutional rights... I believe your quote to come from Charelton Heston. He was right on the money. I personally do not own a weapon, but I will happily defend the rights of others to do so. To define those that own a weapon as "some redneck a-hole" is insulting to millions of law abiding people who choose to own a firearm.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2009
    You can't fix stupid:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Wow, really? It's the SECOND Amendment. When they were making a list of important founding principles of the country, that was the second one they thought of. Coming to?

Yes, you can blame it on those redneck framers of the constitution.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2009
    shack wrote: »

I do hope that was a joke... some of our founders without question had their flaws, but the founding documents they created established the greatest nation the world has ever known, and they had the brilliance to see they could not know all there was to know and so made it possible to ammend the Constitution as the nation grew. The Constitution is the greatest governing document written by the hand of man, and I believe... dare I say... God played a vital role in it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ben62670
    edited April 2009

Framers:confused: Carpenters:confused:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2009

So are you currently having issues with rednecks shooting at you? Are you a talking Disney deer? That is very unfortunate...

Of coures you completely ignored the entire second sentence that would prevent the rednecks from shooting at you... (Assuming you are, in fact, a human)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    ben62670 wrote:
    Framers:confused: Carpenters:confused:

I take it civics wasn't your strong subject in high school....

http://www.usconstitution.net/constframedata.html

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2009
    I think he was being sarcastically ignorant, unlike the other guy...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ben62670
    edited April 2009
    I take it civics wasn't your strong subject in high school....

http://www.usconstitution.net/constframedata.html

Not really, but thanks for the link. It does appear that most of the framers of the constitution were from VA and above with very few from Carolina and below.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited April 2009
    So if you believe that the 2nd amendment should in no way be abridged, such as for example, restricting automatic weapons ...

Suppose Pakistan started offering to US citizens small, nuclear warheads.

This sounds like something protected by the 2nd. After all, it says we have a right to keep and bear arms. No limits. A small nuclear warhead is, arms.

So do you then support households being allowed to buy nuclear bombs?
  • ben62670
    edited April 2009
    wizzy wrote: »
    So if you believe that the 2nd amendment should in no way be abridged, such as for example, restricting automatic weapons ...

Suppose Pakistan started offering to US citizens small, nuclear warheads.

This sounds like something protected by the 2nd. After all, it says we have a right to keep and bear arms. No limits. A small nuclear warhead is, arms.

So do you then support households being allowed to buy nuclear bombs?

Please slap and sterilize yourself. Nobody is off on the tangent you are on. Or your planet as far as that is concerned:rolleyes: Here goes another thread:rolleyes:

More quotes please!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    ben62670 wrote:
    Not really, but thanks for the link. It does appear that most of the framers of the constitution were from VA and above with very few from Carolina and below.

13 men represented NC, SC & GA. I don't know if it was intentional or not but they equal the same percentage of the total (13/55 = 23.6%) as do the 3 states to the total of the original 13 colonies (3/13 = 23%). Who got shorted is Rhode Island with no representation (by their own choice since they decided to send no delegates to the constitutional convention) and New Hampshire with only 2.

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    You can't fix stupid:(

But - stupid should hurt.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Conradicles
    edited April 2009
    Quotes please...
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2009
    Quotes please...

That was...from a bumper sticker I saw. :D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.