Famous quotes

Options
zarrdoss
zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
edited September 2013 in The Clubhouse
Here are a few of mine whats some of yours?

"Morality is the best of all devices for leading mankind by the nose"
Nietzsche

"Paranoia- you only have to be right ounce to make it all worth while"
unknown

"You can have everything in life that you want if you just give enough other people what they want."
Zig Ziglar

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."
Sir James Dewar

"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."
Thomas Edison
Post edited by zarrdoss on

Comments

• wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Some of my favs below ... absolutely hilarious

"I'm telling you there's an enemy that would like to attack America, Americans, again. There just is. That's the reality of the world. And I wish him all the very best." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 12, 2009

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" --George W. Bush, Florence, South Carolina, Jan. 11, 2000, YouTube

"You work three jobs? ... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." --George W. Bush, to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005 (Listen to audio clip)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited April 2009
    Options
    wizzy wrote: »
    Some of my favs below ... absolutely hilarious

"I'm telling you there's an enemy that would like to attack America, Americans, again. There just is. That's the reality of the world. And I wish him all the very best." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 12, 2009

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" --George W. Bush, Florence, South Carolina, Jan. 11, 2000, YouTube

"You work three jobs? ... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." --George W. Bush, to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005 (Listen to audio clip)

way to go...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • wizzy
    edited April 2009
    Options
    way to go...

Okay, let's not go turning this into some political thread crap. OP posted asking for some of our favorite famous quotes, those are some of mine. They are all quite famous. And they are among my favorites.

Let's all try to keep things on track, please.
  • wizzy
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. " - Jerry Garcia
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited April 2009
    Options
    allright allright allright... - wooderson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Say CHELLO to my Liddle FRIEND!!! in my best Tony Montana impersonation...

It just depends of what your definition of the word "IS" is... Bill Clinton...

Mr Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!... Ronald Reagan
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I drank what?? - Socrates
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Dante:

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality”
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I thought you said you were on the pill............................... Anon.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Tubes, stupid!....me
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bruss wrote: »

Winner.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Lick me" -Lolly Pop
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,270
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It seemed like a good idea at the time .... MBBL
    Sal Palooza
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Where the F*CK did all these indians come from?" George Custer

"What was that?" The Mayor of Hiroshima

"Life is suck!" Peter Ng
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "What was that?" The Mayor of Hiroshima

poor taste... and you think I'm a fool.

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bruss wrote: »

"THat's what I like about high school girls, I keep gettin' older, they keep stayin the same age."

As for mine?

"It's no matter
    No distance
    It's the ride."
    - Crosby, Stills and Nash

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "
    - Thomas Jefferson
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it!" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    commonly (yet incorrectly) credited to Voltaire.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "
    - Thomas Jefferson

I like those, especially the last

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be very carefully used and that definite rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible."
    - Senator Hubert H. Humphrey, MN, campaigning
    for the 1960 Democratic Presidential Nomination
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    “scientists announced today that they have discovered a cure for apathy, however no one has showed the slightest bit of interest”

George Carlin
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. "
    Benjamin Franklin
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    and we cannot forget this one from good old ben

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2009
    Options
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”

Thomas Jefferson

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go around repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence."

Charles A. Beard
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    and we cannot forget this one from good old ben

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

I knew the founding fathers were right about something, maybe we should go drinking with them more often:p

• zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”

Thomas Jefferson

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go around repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence."

Charles A. Beard

Aint that the truth these days?
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "government is not the solutuin to our problems-government IS the problem"

Ronald Reagan
  • Ender
    Ender Posts: 603
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Prosperity allows relationships. Adversity tries them."

"I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it."
    - Rita Mae Brown

"Man is not a rational animal. He's a rationalizing animal."
    - Robert A. Heinlein

"I loathe the expression "What makes him tick." It is the American mind, looking for simple and singular solution, that uses the foolish expression. A person not only ticks, he also chimes and strikes the hour, falls and breaks and has to be put together again, and sometimes stops like an electric clock in a thunderstorm."
    - James Thurber

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool. Shun him.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple. Teach him.
    He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep. Awaken him.
    He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise. Follow him."

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up my childish ways."
    -1 Corinthians 13:11 [International Standard Version (©2008)]

"God Bless America, but not because of you
    God Bless the Haitian immigrants, and Cubans too
    God Bless the Italians, Koreans, and the Colombians who came
    God Bless Jamaicans, the Chinese, the Spanish
    Without them, Florida will have no name
    God Bless the Polish, the Mexicans, the French
    Without them, McDonalds will have no fries
    God Bless the Japanese, Senegalese, and Swedish,
    Without them, no Nobel Prize
    God Bless the Turkish, the Vietnamese, the people from Peru
    God Bless America, but not because of you

God Bless the Nicaraguans, the Russians, and the ones from Liechtenstein
    God Bless the Scottish -- without them we would have no Aud Lang Syne
    God Bless the Filipinos, Liberians, Iraqis, and Greeks
    God Bless the British too, for the language we all speak
    God Bless the Albanians, the Brazilians, the Egyptians
    Without them, no paper for writing the Declaration
    God Bless Bosnians, Somali, and Croatian
    God Bless the Indians, without them, we will have no word for shampoo
    -- it's true, you can look it up
    God Bless America, but not because of you

God Bless all those who are proud of this colorful nation
    God Bless us whether we are first, fifth, or tenth generation
    We build our home with others in unity
    We love this land of opportunity
    So may God bless America and let us not discriminate
    Whether immigration law or just Miami real estate
    God Bless your ancestors, real estate man, once they were new here too
    And God Bless this great America, but not because of you"
    --Rose Aime
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Just some that I like...

"If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean."

“Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday, and all is well.”

"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere." ~Glenn Turner

"Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow." ~Swedish Proverb
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2009
    Options
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"....Yogi Berra
    "Use the Force, Luke." Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "Me winning isn't! You Do!" Chevy Chase as Ty in Caddyshack. "Great Grammer." Danny's response.
    "Are either of you....homosexual?" "No, but we're willing to learn." Harold Ramis and the recruiter in Stripes.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"....Yogi Berra
    "Use the Force, Luke." Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "Me winning isn't! You Do!" Chevy Chase as Ty in Caddyshack. "Great Grammer." Danny's response.
    "Are either of you....homosexual?" "No, but we're willing to learn." Harold Ramis and the recruiter in Stripes.

lets not forget the immortal words of Tom Hanks who famously said..."there's no crying in baseball!"