Options
2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Great... and no amp problems I take it.

Want to say Polk still has some SL2000's, but raife would know better than I. Despite the difference in excursion, is the sound balanced?

As for tweaking them, you can do a little or a lot. There are a couple old threads on the topic. Here’s one on upgrading the posts: http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=89906#post89906 and one on the whole shooting match… http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7187&highlight=srs%2A

Personally, I’d recommend you live with them a while and see if they leave you wanting for anything…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited May 2003
    Options
    JT,

Polk does have a replacement SL2000 tweeter, but it is not physically and sonically identical to the original SL2000.

Club member rskarvan replaced both of the SL2000 tweeters in his CRS+ speakers and he reported that they sounded better than the originals.

If you are only interested in one (original) SL2000, you might inquire if any club members (like har_navalta) have any they want to sell. These also pop up on Ebay from time to time.

I'm glad you have your wiring problems resolved. From what you wrote, it seemed like the previous owner did a bit of experimental re-wiring. Perhaps he/she got tired of the SDA effect and was trying to defeat it.

With regard to tweaking, I agree with tour, listen to them for a while, and if you feel like something is missing, you can upgrade the crossover components and binding posts. There are many good posts on the subject of SDA modifications.:cool:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have an original SL2000. I got it for $49.00 if you want, just give me my money back and it's yours + shipping, it's still in the box of course I am not using it because all my Polk's are TL version. I acquired it just in case I can get a CRS+ as reserved.

Let me know if you are interested.

Har
  • jtconnell
    jtconnell Posts: 65
    edited May 2003
    Options
    :D

Awesome!

I am absolutely interested! How shall we do this? Perhaps we can do this outside the forum. E-mail me your address and such and I'll get a check/money order/PayPal/etc. out promptly. Thanks so much!

Jason :D
    Tour2ma: Note to self: Talk to Justin about changing jtc's rank to "part-time, distant, **** second cousin, Polkie"...

jtconnell: "That's LUCKY, part-time, distant, **** second cousin Polkie to you Mr."
  • har_navalta
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The file attachment feature is fixed. This is the file I was trying to put up. I am posting it in case anybody else needs it.
  • har_navalta
    edited May 2003
    Options
    JT, I sent you an email yesterday. Let me know
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    raife,
    I take it you've peeked inside at the SDA circuitry... what's there?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nothing exotic really. Just your basic phase reversal circuit: resistors, capacitors, an inductor here and there.:cool:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all with the SL2000 replacements. They are very sweet sounding. Don't hestitate to replace. Make certain that you replace ALL of them though. Nothing worse than a tweeter mis-match.
  • jtconnell
    jtconnell Posts: 65
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well, thanks to Har who was kind enough to sell me an original SL-2000, the SDAs are back to sounding like they should. I'm moving in the near future, but once that's done, I'll continue in my quest to get them cleaned up and perhaps upgraded if the mood strikes. I do want to thank everyone for their invaluable help and assistance resolving a challenging problem.

Jason:D
    Tour2ma: Note to self: Talk to Justin about changing jtc's rank to "part-time, distant, **** second cousin, Polkie"...

jtconnell: "That's LUCKY, part-time, distant, **** second cousin Polkie to you Mr."