receivers

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited May 2003 in Electronics
i am looking into a new receiver, i have rti100s a cs245i and yamaha NS-A 635 as surrounds. 5.1 or 6.1 is fine but i dont think i need 7.1 right now. i am looking for something at about 800 or under. what are some nice brands to look at that offer the most for the money?
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Pioneer Elite, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo.
    Yould would like Yamaha, they use different Subwoofer outputs (4.0) and they play MUCH louder in the bass region. They are nicely built, weighing about 30+ pounds. I enjoyed their 300.00 model. I still have it, and I bought the Pioneer Elite VSX-41. Really nice receiver, has preouts. You might want to consider a low/mid line receiver with preouts and get into seperates. There is in substitute.
    If you decide to get into that area, Yamaha and PE offer a 350 (Yamaha), 450 (PE) 6.1 receivers with preouts. Then I would look into NAD and Adcom and AMC. They are all nice ones. I bought the PE VSX-41 and bought Adcom amps and I am still upgrading. Seperates just sound so much better than receivers, IMO.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2003
    Options
    wow thanks that helps so much i thought id have to spend atleast 800 to get what i wanted, i guess i was wrong.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    LoL, glad it helped. Do research, lots of it before you buy. IMO, get the PE or the Yammer, with preouts and upgrade slowly.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Go and listen to some. Let your ears decide. I'd definitely add Denon to that list of must listen to. Everyone has their favs.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

I have a Denon 2802, last years model and I prefered it over a Yamaha RX-V1200 which is about the same price. I'm using it with RT1000i and CS400i and haven't regreted buying it one bit. The newer 2803 does 7.1 which you don't have to use right away but it's there for later and right at your price range.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2003
    Options
    For the bucks ($499) the Onkyo 600 hands down.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I vote for Denon here.Denon is the way to go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hmm....

Lets see here...

Yamaha HTR-5560 (350-400)
    Adcom GFA-535 (125-150 (shipped) x 3 = 375 (min) 450 (max).

So let me get this straight, a Bottum/mid line Denon, VS. Yamaha/Adcom Setup... *sways side to side* *falls on the Yammer and Adcom side......no contest. (Sound wise) the Denon might win in features. No doubt.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Airplay,

I've listened to a lot of receivers lately. Here's a short list that you should try out in no particular order....

Denon AVR-2803
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX or the cheaper 43TX
    Yamaha RX-V1300 (I have one but a little bright with RT speakers.)
    Marantz 7200
    NAD T752 (my favorite in the list; can handle 2 ohm loads for future speaker upgradeability and an awesome sound close to Rotel)

The NAD will be pushing your budget. I would purchase from an authorized dealer because there has been reliability problems with the older lines (haven't heard of any problems with the new lines that end in "2"). I have a NAD power amp and have had zero problems (two months old).

Here's an authorized internet dealer for NAD:

Yawa Online

Have fun checking out the receivers and take your time and don't make *impulse* purchases.

Paul
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

does the Onk 600 have preouts?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Have fun checking out the receivers and take your time and don't make *impulse* purchases.

I agree with pjdami. I made the mistake of impulsing on 2 receivers before I ended up the Denon. Take your time and listen to as many as you can.

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2003
    Options
    airplay,

You won't find much support in this forum for Harman Kardon but I love my 320(presently being used as a pre/pro). I will direct you to the 525 or even perhaps the 520. The 525 replaced the 520 but you can still find the 520 and save yourself a few bucks. It is a sweet sounding reciever with plenty of inputs and outputs and the cool Logic 7 processing. Check out their Web site at:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20525&sType=C 525

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20325&sType=C 325

for all the specs. As stated in the posts above try to listen to as many different makes as possible. For me it is Harman Kardon but everyone has their own thing. In summary, the H/K 320/325 and 520/525 have great sound and loads of features. Keep in mind that the amp section is high-current...well I'll let you check out the specs. Good Luck man!

Greg

Edit..Don't let the amp ratings fool ya..these things kick ****.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

For $500 I would suggest the Sony STR-DA2ES, the Onkyo doesn't have as many features, connections nor ability.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2003
    Options
    If you go with yammy, go with the rxv series, avoid the htr ones. A rxv-630 can be found for $300 at goodguys with some selling em for $240 open box.
    I'm happy with my rxv-1200.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gshisme
    airplay,

You won't find much support in this forum for Harman Kardon but I love my 320(presently being used as a pre/pro). I will direct you to the 525 or even perhaps the 520. The 525 replaced the 520 but you can still find the 520 and save yourself a few bucks. It is a sweet sounding reciever with plenty of inputs and outputs and the cool Logic 7 processing. Check out their Web site at:

I have the 520 used as a pre/pro also. I did, "only 1 time", hear cross talk on my surrounds when in 2 channel but never heard it again. I also tried recreating but could not. Also I really like the Logic 7 circuit for 3,5 Channel, typically for TV and surround simulation from my AR DAC which is a 2 channel source.

I guess I was lucky because I have had no real issues with my 520 and there are more guzzinta's and comesoutazz than 1 could ever need.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2003
    Options
    For $500 I would suggest the Sony STR-DA2ES, the Onkyo doesn't have as many features, connections nor ability.

Just make sure that whatever receiver you get it has descrete amplification. I know Onkyo does, not sure about Sony. It makes for a solid increase in sound quality.

From Onkyo's site...
    The Onkyo TX-SR600's six internal power amplifiers feature high-current, low-impedance discrete output devices...

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks Ron - Low end Sony is crap compared to Onkyo - period.
    dorokusai, if you were looking between these two recievers and you picked the Sony because of a feature or two - you really screwed up man - the Onk 600 is freaking loaded including inputs. I could go on and on but RonP brought up the biggest point. Trust me!!!!
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Although the Onkyo 600 has no pre-outs (the ONLY thing I wish it had extra for $499), it's a GREAT buy - HIGHLY recommended!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Options
    If we are talking the SR600, then sorry to say, it does not have as many features for AV like the Sony 2ES has. Period.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7wcalR9AWNY/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=10420&c=4&s=0&cc=01&ITM580TXSR600=on&ITM158STRDA2E=on&CompareButton.x=17&CompareButton.y=9

Just a simple comparison link.

I looked at the Onkyo when shopping for HT receivers(6.1) and it just didn't have what I was looking for. It had more future features, and immediate connectivity than the Onkyo. No brainer for me.

Yes, low end Sony is not the best, its a simple capable lineup for a specific market segment. But ES is not LOW end Sony. I didn't screw up, but thanks for the guidance, :rolleyes:

The Onkyo is a fine receiver, thats not in dispute, I just stated that for the money, the Sony ES line IS a contender.

I do not know about the discrete feature, but if I recall Sony uses what they call OP Processing, for preamplification and low noise. Of course discrete power is a bonus in the Onkyo, but Sony may use something of their own design, I have no idea. Nor are they very informative in the what we do department.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • scottvamp
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The point is if the Sony IS a contender then EVERYTHING under $800 IS!!!! So ya you are right in YOUR thinking. ;)
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I dont even understand that post Scott, ???
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Oh I think I just got it, :o Crutchfield is certainly not the lowest priced place to buy that receiver or any high dollar item.

I paid $500 for mine through another establishment. Beings that it is found in a few places for <500, its relative to the post.

Look I like Onkyo as a manufacturer, bottom line they can kick some **** also. Fook it, buy the Onkyo or the Sony or whatever the heck you want, just audition as many as you can is what I believe everyone here was trying to express.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i want a high wattage receiver, i've found i like the sound of my rti100's on higher watage much better then on my 75 wattage aiwa....and they are lieing about the power rating so who knows what it is, thats why im considering yamaha, they seem to have the most watts for the lests amount of money, and i've heard they are heavy in the bass section and i like that too, i don't really need alot of inputs or ouputs since i dont need or want alot of things to hook up to it, but they are still important. low THD is also an issue for me, currently my THD is .9 and yes i mean .9 not .09 so im not quite happy with what i have. i've had problems with it before(power supply died and had to be replaced) and just recently i heard it clip but i bought it for only $129 brand new in the box so im not really in a posisition to complain. the whole point of this is to tell you i want the most for the least amount of money. i have listened to the h/k receivers at CC and liked them alothough i fidn them abit pricy and if i bought one id only end up with 45 watts/channel. what should i look for when i audition a receiver anyway?
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The Big Box stores are horrible for testing equipement. Go to a local Hifi dealer. You'll get a better audition and they will be able to set it up correctly and answer any of your questions. I makes for a much better experience and you won't be left guessing about how your purchase will really sound when you get it home.

Derick.

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2003
    Options
    High wattage does not always equal better sound. I've gone backwards in my wattage purchases, yet exceeded sound quality each time.

First up, a bottom of the line Sony at 110wpc. Then, onto the Marantz at 75wpc, less watts, but much, much better sound. Then, onto Adcom amps rated at 60wcp, even less than the Marantz, yet even better sound. Louder, cleaner, more detailed and tighter. Each upgrade was a downgrade in wpc, yet I am able to play louder than ever, to the point my ears cannot take it, yet I'm only 60wpc, but those are some damn good wpc.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Don't go by advertised wattage. A good example of that is kenwood <g>
    Just make sure the receiver has the specs and features you want and test away.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron-P,

Well put. That is why I like the H/K so much. High current..continuos power. I hate that peak spek.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Airplay,

If you like the Yamaha sound, I have a three month old mint condition RX-V1300 that I will get rid of at a very fair price.

email me at pauly_70@cox.net for details.

Paul
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    High wattage does not always equal better sound. I've gone backwards in my wattage purchases, yet exceeded sound quality each time.

First up, a bottom of the line Sony at 110wpc. Then, onto the Marantz at 75wpc, less watts, but much, much better sound. Then, onto Adcom amps rated at 60wcp, even less than the Marantz, yet even better sound. Louder, cleaner, more detailed and tighter. Each upgrade was a downgrade in wpc, yet I am able to play louder than ever, to the point my ears cannot take it, yet I'm only 60wpc, but those are some damn good wpc.

another reason why h/k is not so bad. a high current h/k cannot compare to my Outlaw in final power but serves as a good preamp. Big power supplies for just a prepro IMO is the way to go! Welcome to the land of seperates.

Trashed is the bomber.

Sorry but I had to jump in again.

Evil Twin

so be nice please.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i've never actually listened to a yamaha receiver and i am seriously considering h/k my only concern was that they wouldnt play loud enough because of the low wattage....i am very much in love with those receivers though, what would be better the H/K AVR 225 or the RX-v1300 that pjdami was talkin about. I mean at first glance it looks as though the yamaha receiver is way better, 110 watts x 6 as opposed to 55 x 5. buyin a receiver is very confusing because there are so many options and so many variables. forgetting about all other brands, between yamaha and h/k which would be a better choice?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I personally don't like the tonal signature in the Yammie preamp section. Between the 2, I'd probably take HK.

55w of high-current, continuous power is plenty for most people. Esp when paired with Polk R/RT series, which are fairly efficient. Actually, the difference in 55 and 110 (clean watts) isn't as big as you would think it is.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.