Signal Cable MagicPower Cord Review

Options
2»

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Think Paulie answered most of the questions. Cables in the picture are IXOS Gamma 6007P and 6003P. The 6007 was 69¢ a foot (15 Ga) and the 6003 was $1.29 per foot (13 Ga). I purchased them from Accessories4Less. They currently have a good deal on the Gamma 6007P (apparently IXOS is changing the color so A4L purchased all the spare spools of old stock at dirt cheap prices.) I picked up 25 feet of both and plan on bi-wiring the mains and center channel, 6003 for the lows and the 6007 for the highs. Will probably terminate with spades on the speaker end and dynaudio bananas on the receiver end. The black cable in the bundle is just a dummy wire (you need 3 wires to braid).

Yes I'm on a cable spending spree. It's the next logical step for me. I have some of Frank's SignalCables on the way. He gave me a 5% discount for mentioning Club Polk. I'm expecting the MagicPower Power cord, Analog Twos, Digital Coax, and a new Subwoofer IC. Figured since I'll be setting up my new Flexy Rack this weekend, all my gear has to move from one rack to another, I might as well upgrade the cables while I'm at it. I designed some cable management into my Flexy....Mantis is gonna cream his pants when I'm done ;)

Till then...here is a taste of my new design...
    Check-Out This New Thread

EDITED: Pulled the picts and added a link to a new thread that discusses this topic...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,

I bought some $60 interconnects from my Rotel dealer. They are called Aurelle Dynamics. Looks like a custom job made by some small manuafacturer. Looked everywhere on the web for them and couldn't find them. Looks very similar to Tributaries Interconnects. My dealer said that for the system I have now, these would probably be good enough. I'm curious as to how the Analog Twos will sound. They are highly recommended by you and Russ so I was willing to give them a shot. My system sounds pretty good right now. It will be a treat if it gets any better.

Paul
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    "those that don't know..don't know they don't know."

It is so true and try to convince them otherwise. That's tough. They just think you're nuts for spending so much on cables. Oh well, their loss I guess.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It comes down to this,at the end of the day,is wire on the list or not.Is your system Important enough to you to spend the extra cash in quality wire.Thats what it's all about guys.........

Never will you know unless you try.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    On the list...
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I am messing around with MagicPower cord again this morning...Initially, I have one of the cord serves as the main power cord from the wall to the Panamax 5500, and use the cord that comes with the Pana to power the power amp. The other cord was used to plug the REL sub. The thought process was single source of *improved* main power coming in to the Panamax, and distributed to all of the equipments. So, it should be optimal. When I switched the cord that I used on the sub, to the stock Panamax cord (10 gauge heavy thick) and use the MagicPower to plug the amp, I noticed immediately that the bass is sounding tighter, and slightly more detailed mid. Interesting, isn't it? I guess experimentation and audition are the true measure of *fun* in this hobby
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Paul,
    just make sure that you allow some time for break in, before doing serious comparison, as analog two will sound a bit bright initially..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    check this out....MAJOR power cord! I was just so amazed to its size! No intention of getting it, just for its entertainment value!:D
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    oops! here is the pic..

EDIT: picture attachment feature does NOT work, I'll try again later..:(
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    oops! here is the pic..

EDIT: picture attachment feature does NOT work, I'll try again later..:(

Sorry to steal your thunder but lookie at what the postman brought over to the house today....!!!!

MagicPower_Power_Cord-1-Medium.jpg

MagicPower_Power_Cord-Comparison-Medium.jpg
    Yes the cord is as phat as my index finger......

Other_Cables-Medium.jpg

Will give reviews once I get the new gear over to the new rack and have a chance to review all of Frank's new cables...PLUS the new IXOS Gamma cables that came in yesterday. It's going to be busy tommorrow. Popcorn and a few good CD's...
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony, marvelous! great job on the rack too! I went to your site, very clean job!

Frank offers me to try out the new analog two with bullet plug option, and took the offer (since I just ordered a couple more analog two for my second system) will let everyone know what I think. It supposed to give a more *lively* top end. Can't wait!
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Never mind..picture upload is still acting up..
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony, marvelous! great job on the rack too! I went to your site, very clean job!

Thanks for the compliments Polkatese. I really busted my **** on this new rack. Some say it wasn't worth it, but I consider wood working as a hobby and enjoy doing it. The self-gratification is just overwhelming sometimes.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony,
    just curious, I noticed you bought analog one and two, would love to hear comparison on both since I don't have analog one, kinda took a leap of faith when I went with analog two. Are you going to use two on the Oink or Tosh?
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony,
    just curious, I noticed you bought analog one and two, would love to hear comparison on both since I don't have analog one, kinda took a leap of faith when I went with analog two. Are you going to use two on the Oink or Tosh?

Only have the Analog Two's the other cable is a subwoofer cable which is supposed to be based off of the Analog Two wire.

As for which system, I'm gonna try out the Analog Two's on the Onk and the Tosh, and also the new SignalCable Digital SPDIF cable on the Tosh -> AVR and see if I like the Rotel DAC's better.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ah, thought analog one. Yes, they (two and sub i/c) are both based on Belden 89259, pretty much identical in build. Have fun setting them up tomorrow!
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I am giving this a run (SignalCable Analog Two with Bullet Plug) and will give my review. Looks like a promising tweak based on the review here:

Bullet Plug

US Price

Let me know what you think....
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    And here is the pic of mother of all power cords!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That power cord verges on being a prop in a **** movie!! Were you holding that thing?? :lol:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    dorokusai, that's what I thought when I saw it the first time in Audiogon. It's definitely has the look and feel! no, it isn't my hands, cost too much bookoo for me.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Geez polka, I thought I'd stumbled into a thread on "my favorite adult toys" for a second... That is one effin' thick power chord!
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It's the Whale series, personally, I think it should be called FANDANGO!
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    One word do describe that thing....

"EXCESSIVE"

looks like leads I'd use on a damn welding machine. Unless this guy is plugging this thing straight into his breaker box it's such a waste...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That is so rediculous. Makes me think that to power a rig with that cord, the owner would have a big Frankenstien-ish flip switch on the wall. I wonder what it weighs?

At what point do you just by-pass the power cord altogether, and hard-wire the amp to the wall?

Cheers,
    Russ 'I will never own wire larger than my dingus' Gates
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I think you could actually hear the electrons gushing in...wooz wooz :D:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    "ITS ALIVE!!!!!" - Young Frankenstein

That power cord has so much hair, it should be Dreadlocks!!

Its like a 4/0 - 2/0 wrapped in pretty fiber, at that point what are you gaining?

Its just a pic, not like PT is using it. The bragging rights are huge! :lol:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Cheers,
    Russ 'I will never own wire larger than my dingus' Gates

Whats that Russ.... 18 Guage?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Henry,

I may be hung like a vienna suasage, but I have a 90mph ****...

*wheels are off*

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Henry,

I may be hung like a vienna suasage, but I have a 90mph ****...

and a 3 second delay before discharge of nox....
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I can picture plugging that bad boy in and then watching as it slowly dragged my amp right off of its shelf....

It is a tad over the top...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD