Outlaw 1050 v. Yamaha

Options
2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    You know what??????Both Pioneer Elite and Denon make great avr's........sound quality I will agree that they are close,but not exact.Pioneer Elite lets just delete the lower end and go straight to flagship vs flagship.

Denon avr5803 is one of the very best flagship recievers on the market.Tested only to be matched and some cases beat by the Pioneer Elite vsx49txi.
    Pioneer has one advantage over Denon,and thats quality control.Denon will release products,then have to recall them due to problems/defects.....shame on Denon.Pioneer Elites Digital firewire connection for sacd and dvd audio is the only fully working kit on the market today.Mated with the Pioneer Elite dv47ai....
    I'm a fan of both companies for alot of reasons.Denon like Pioneer Elite have certain types of speakers that would well and some don't.
    I believe that Pioneer Elite is slightly better all around then Denon.There amp section is really nice.Denon is no slouch but seems to give up before the Pioneer does.......

You deside what you like better.......it's not that hard.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Great post Dan.

No argument on the Denon QA/QC issues - they went through a period of painful still born products for a while and hopefully have listened to the faithful and gotten their act together.

Ditto on the PE amp stage - very nice and I also would give it the slight nod over the Denon on paper and probably an edge in sound when paired up with reactive low impedance speaks.

I was pleased to see your comment on the 5803/49 sound quality being very similar - as it should be. Sony ES, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Integra - all well known, well respected brands - I'd be happy to own any. As you WELL know, hi-fi is a dog-eat-dog world - VERY competitive. Any manufacturer that churned out a mediocre, much less truly bad sounding AVR in this highly lucrative and profitable price range wouldn't stay in business for long.

I can always respect enthusiasts who can point out SUBTLE differences between competitively priced electronics from different manufacturers - they do exist.

I do not respect any "enthusiast" who claims one $2,000 AVR sounds like total garbage, and the other sounds like 24 carat gold when they share so many similar features and internal components - it's not true, it cannot be objectively measured and proven on paper, it's complete and total **** and I won't let it go unchallenged in this forum if we ever collectively hope to escape the trappings of mediocrity and rise to the level of a truly learned and well respected forum that we can all be proud of.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I won't let it go unchallenged in this forum if we ever collectively hope to escape the trappings of mediocrity and rise to the level of a truly learned and well respected forum that we can all be proud of.

Doc

as in the past with your help regarding my subs thanks for reining me in and keeping me on the straight and narrow. Please keep me in check!

Regards
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Guys,

I respect both of your opinions as you, as far as I am concerned, are two of the most knowledgable persons on this forum, but my only minor disagreement is that when the comparison is made at the flagship level less differences will be noticed, but at lower levels I believe you can find different AVR that have different sound qualities and less of this and more of that, most people or very few will have the chance to own the two flagship recievers that are being compared, I for one could not see myself spending that amount of money for a reciever, so mostly at the price level that alot of the members of this forum subscribe to their maybe some sound issues involved. Just my humble opinion, it is so hard to let your gear stay the way it is even if it sounds good, the upgrade virus is as contagious as the flu.:D

CRj
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Before I can't get my head out the door - I know where my strengths and weaknesses lie, and I'm the first to ask a question or defer to someone more knowledgeable on a particular subject I'm not familiar with.

What can make this forum great is recognizing and combining our collective strengths - we ALL learn that way. If none of us knows the answer - we find someone that does even if it involves going outside the forum for expert help. Isn't that preferable over remaining blissfully ignorant?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bolson
    bolson Posts: 16
    edited April 2003
    Options
    While this has been a very informative thread it seems to have drifted from $500 receivers to flagship receivers. As far as features, I would give the edge to Yamaha. I haven't heard the Outlaw yet, but I have one coming in today for the 30 day demo.
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2003
    Options
    bolson/.Dr. Spec/mantis:

That was my point I think at $480.00 which was one of his choices the Yamaha 1300. (I have one), for me is hard to beat.:)

CRj
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    here is a famous shootout between pass amp and a yamaha amp.
    that i fond at home theater.
    http://www.hometheaterforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136113 sorry it wont come up
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    edited April 2003
    Options
    try to read , just go to home theater forum and to receivers/sepereats/amps, then to yamaha going down hill, then to chu gai post (shoot out)
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• joe logston
    edited April 2003
    Options
    here a another way to get the shootout and a lot of good reading. go to google groups type in (nousaine zipser pass) on google groups, them re, noussaine dodges bullets & lise to ed shane, click on that and read the shootout plus more.

it all adds up to that the $700 yamaha amp sounded the same as the $12,000 pass amp
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub