Polk Audio Hitmaster - Gaming Loudspeaker - Demo

Options

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No problem. Just wanted to throw a friendly reminder out there!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No problem Mark. I've very much enjoyed my extra time with the HitMaster
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Label sent to Nebborjk for Adam 2434.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Label sent to Edbert for Petrym.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hitmaster received yesterday.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hitmaster received today. Thanks!
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Heh guys, we don't se much pros and or cons report after the demo :(
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This isn't the place for it....that's why I provide a link to the website review area in the main body.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That I know of there isn't that many reviews there compared to the amount of members that participated in the demo... Sure would be nice to see what people tought of the product :cool:

TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    That I know of there isn't that many reviews there compared to the amount of members that participated in the demo... Sure would be nice to see what people tought of the product :cool:

TK

I could be wrong but I don't think that they are all posted on the website. I even tried re-submitting mine and it told me that I had already submitted a review.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2010
    Options
    My responsibility and influence ends in the thread link....the rest is up to Polk.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    My responsibility and influence ends in the thread link....the rest is up to Polk.
    no debate there Doro you are doing a great job and I do appreciate, people like you are the main reason I want to be loyal to Polk ;)

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Why would Polk Audio build this?

Dont most people already have stereo systems?

Why would someone spend $200 on a pair of these which look like they belong in a basement or garage?

My gaming system is in my living room......
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2010
    Options
    only126db wrote: »

Why would someone spend $200 on a pair of these which look like they belong in a basement or garage?

Because it is a mostly untapped market in teenagers through college aged adults (and the parents that may buy one for them) who are getting all their sound through inferior TV speakers. This not only plays games and movie audio, but you can hook an iPod and other devices up to it.

It isn't marketed to you.

Beyond that, you don't need a pair. One gives off real good sound for the money.
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Because it is a mostly untapped market in teenagers through college aged adults (and the parents that may buy one for them) who are getting all their sound through inferior TV speakers. This not only plays games and movie audio, but you can hook an iPod and other devices up to it.

It isn't marketed to you.

Beyond that, you don't need a pair. One gives off real good sound for the money.

Mark my words....

These will be on sale 50% off during the Christmas season and discontinued by Jan 1 if not before.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mark my words....

These will be on sale 50% off during the Christmas season and discontinued by Jan 1 if not before.

Do you know how many kids anymore don't have stereo's? A LOT of them. They simply DO NOT have a stereo. They listen to music on an ipod, or play CD's through a DVD player, running through some TV speakers.

This is the market they're trying to appeal to. This product isn't being marketed to audiophiles. This is a product that's meant primarily for a kid living in a college dorm room, or something to that effect. It's geared towards the Guitar Hero generation.

It's a great way to get better sound than you're getting from your TV speakers, without breaking the bank. It's also a product that exposes a lot of people to higher end audio, who may never have been exposed to it otherwise. Someday when these kids are in a better financial situation, and want to put together a stereo...they'll remember how much enjoyment they got out of their Polk Hitmaster, then they'll buy a pair of RTi's or LSi's.

Personally, I think the Hitmaster is going to do very well. It's a completely untapped market niche, and would appeal to a lot of people...gamers in particular. Despite what you may think, not everyone has a stereo or a HT system. Some people actually use their TV speakers.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options

Polk build the HM because Polk is smart and follow the trends of the market ;)

No, the younger generation doesn't have stereo systems. I am speaking from experience, both of my sons in their mid 20s don't have any stereo system. My nephew (mid 20s) is a hard core gamer but doesn't have any stereo system, he uses cheap computer speakers. The HM was demoded during our family Xmas party and believe me the younger generation was very impressed by the HM along with some older folks!
    Mark my words....

You are totally wrong!
    Do you know how many kids anymore don't have stereo's? A LOT of them. They simply DO NOT have a stereo. They listen to music on an ipod, or play CD's through a DVD player, running through some TV speakers.

This is the market they're trying to appeal to. This product isn't being marketed to audiophiles. This is a product that's meant primarily for a kid living in a college dorm room, or something to that effect. It's geared towards the Guitar Hero generation.

It's a great way to get better sound than you're getting from your TV speakers, without breaking the bank. It's also a product that exposes a lot of people to higher end audio, who may never have been exposed to it otherwise. Someday when these kids are in a better financial situation, and want to put together a stereo...they'll remember how much enjoyment they got out of their Polk Hitmaster, then they'll buy a pair of RTi's or LSi's.

Personally, I think the Hitmaster is going to do very well. It's a completely untapped market niche, and would appeal to a lot of people...gamers in particular. Despite what you may think, not everyone has a stereo or a HT system. Some people actually use their TV speakers.
    +1
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • adam2434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I submitted my review today, so hopefully it will be approved in a couple days.

My overall impressions were very positive. I used it as a portable music system and as a live vocal monitor and was impressed with its performance and build quality, especially at the price point.

Mark, I sent you a PM regarding labels last week. I'm ready to send it on to the next person as soon as I get labels.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Guys, I'm going to be wrapped up in the Capital Area Audiofest this week and weekend, so you'll have to hold off on labels until next weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »

TK

I agree. I submitted a review when I was finished with it, and it was never put in. I actually re-did the review last night when I saw it never made it in and submitted it, and it said I needed to confirm the email that Polk was going to send me, but they never did send me anything. I'm bummed because I took over an hour last night to write a super long detailed report based on my notes and rough drafts...all for nothing :(
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me know about that stuff guys and always save your words.
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Is this demo offering still available? If so, I'd like to participate.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Guys, I'm going to be wrapped up in the Capital Area Audiofest this week and weekend, so you'll have to hold off on labels until next weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Enjoy the Audiofest (even if working) :D
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • adam2434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In case my review gets lost somehow in Polk's system, thought I would at least share it here.

Pros:

Impressive sound for the money – excellent value

Versatile with many possible applications

Well-built and compact self-amplified unit

Cons:

Would be nice if it had the option to be positioned with drivers facing forward – perhaps a simple fold-out arm on the back to support it in the forward-facing position.

I personally don’t care for the Hitmaster logo on the front – would prefer to just have the Polk logo.

Review:

For this review, I did not use the Hitmaster in its primary intended application as a gaming speaker. Instead, I used it as a portable audio system for music and as a live vocal monitor.

Appearance and build quality:

It was more compact than I thought it would be – this is a good thing and makes the sound quality obtained from this thing even more impressive.

The Hitmaster is solidly built. The cabinet has minimal resonance when rapped upon with knuckles and when playing music at moderate levels.

I don’t care for the Hitmaster logo – that could be dropped from the front in my opinion.

It would be nice if there were a way to position it with the drivers facing forward for situations where you want to set it on a shelf or piece of furniture. A simple fold-out arm on the back (think picture frame sitting on shelf) would allow this.

As a portable audio system for music:

Hitmaster 1/8” input was connected to a Zune headphone output for patio use. Hitmaster RCA inputs were connected to a MSB Nelson DAC for indoor use in 18’x28’ room.

Both indoors and outdoors, I was impressed by the punchy sound from the Hitmaster. It could play plenty loud enough without any significant signs of strain at moderate levels. The sound was surprisingly balanced with music. I was impressed by the bass output when listening outside on the patio – it provided much deeper and punchier bass than my Advent Marbl outdoor speakers.

Nitpicks are that you won’t get any real stereo imaging or soundstage depth, but given the design, that’s to be expected. Also, although the sound was balanced, I could hear some chestiness in vocals at times and noticed a lack of shimmer and resolution in the upper frequencies. Again, these are nitpicks - the Hitmaster delivers surprisingly good sound for $100 although it won’t replace a dedicated, quality audio system.

As a live vocal monitor:

Hitmaster RCA inputs were connected to a Behringer XENYX 1002FX mixer and Shure PG48 mic.

The Hitmaster did an exceptional job handling live vocals in my 18’x28’ room. I tested it at pretty loud vocal levels and could not make it distort. Vocals sounded clean (well, as clean as my voice can sound) and natural. Paired with a small mixer, it would make a perfect inexpensive system for home vocal monitoring and karaoke. With multiple singers, I would probably go with 2 Hitmasters to share the vocal load.

In summary, I was impressed with the sound quality, build quality, and versatility of the Hitmaster, especially at the $99 price. If Polk added a way to allow it to sit with the drivers facing forward, it would open up even more versatility in terms of placement options.

To expand on the Hitmaster concept, I think it would be neat to have the Hitmaster components and functionality in more of a home theater center channel speaker form factor – in other words – a form factor that would fit into home d
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Labels sent to Adam and Michael.
  • petrym
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Just got the notification about labels. I was going to post that I was ready to pass the HM to the next person early this morning - well timed! Review to follow.
  • petrym
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Package shipped today.
    PM sent to Reeltrouble1 with tracking info.
    Review soon.
  • adam2434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Been out of town this week for work. Also got the label email and will ship tomorrow or Sat.
  • adam2434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hitmaster shipped to Montoya today.
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Not sure if anyone is tracking demo's leading to sales, but chalk one up for for me. My wife bought me one for Father's day.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!