Bose VCS-10 vs Polk CSi30

Options

Comments

• FireWire
    FireWire Posts: 11
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Friends,

Where will I start? I asked a simple question because I wanted to learn and discover new horizon and meet new friends. I went ou to buy home audio equipement and was constantly wondering if I've made good choices. I'm new to this world, and was I offended by you Russman's reply? Yes I was and I said thank you WangoTango and not to him. Russman, were you laughing at the comparison, to the thread or to me? Let me know and I'll make you fill a form.

Was it a fare comparison? I don't know, I didn't know if I knew then would I posted here?. Thanks to rs159, Mantis, phuz and many others for presious information.

We were all newbs once remember?

Keep well
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Jeeeeezee....

anyone ever listen to Mr. Obvious on the Bob and Tom show?

Lesse, you ask on a POLK forum what would be a better choice for POLK speakers, Bose or POLK?

Gee, I don't really know....

Hello, McFly?????

As far as Bose goes, if you do a price vs performance comparison, yes Bose does indeed suck

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Being a mad scientist when I'm not being a IT nerd, I wanted to check the speaker specifications of the "theater like" sounding Bose center channel. I searched the brochure, the website, and the owners manual. Much to my dismay, I couldn't find the ratings anywhere.:mad:
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited March 2003
    Options
    FireWire,

Sorry I didn't offer too much helpful information earlier. Here's some you can take to heart:

Bose Acoustimass systems and the center channel in question lack 1 major thing....tweeters. If you wonder how Bose can make such small systems its by using a lot of midranges that try to functions as both midranges and tweeters...and that just doesn't hold up. I good speaker with a midrange and tweeter will always sound better and provide better seperation of frequencies.

That should be a pretty acurate summary of a big Bose problem, u other guys feel free to add or correct as necessary.

----Mantis, Russman, lets not get this sent to the Hall of Shame, k? :lol:
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Fire, I was laughing at the comparison, I have no reason to laugh at you.

Moving on. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Options
    wallstreet ,

Bose won't give you specs for anything....

Fire,

what Russ said, Bose does not have many fans here. Not laughing at you, just the comparison..

BDT
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The most specs bose will give is "works w/ most 8 ohm amps" beyond that it's just "huge sound from a small enclosure" and garbage like that whenever they list their "specs"
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz

Pffft. You think I'm a scumbag or something?

Nah, just implying that loyal bose customers seem to be the kind of people who will pay stupid amounts of money for stuff that costs what? like $5 to make.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited March 2003
    Options
    PEOPLE LISTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!

Bose isn't for everyone.Polk is the same way.I don't think it's wise to bash any product on a public forum.State your opnion and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with Bose or any other product on the market people,everything has it's rightfull place.Pick yours.

This thead is about polk matching.Bose is another topic.
    Anyone who wants to discuss Bose,feel free to address ME personally.I'll be glad to address any questions you may have.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thats true, we should probably end this thread now. Heh, and I certinally know about products having thier rightful place, hence why I still have some KLH stuff for a bedroom radio system.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sure, if you don't mind bending over and getting rear-ended at the cash register, sure, Bose just MIGHT be for you......

Other than that, just a little bit of effort is all that's required to get better performance at a fraction of the cost.

BDT
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Wow people sure get upset when that four letter word is used.
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Buy the bose--hell they put my Martin Logan Prodigy's to shame...............
    You could just imagine how much it would blow away my RT-7's..............
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Do some Homework on Bose Troy.You don't get bent over.
    RF remote...who else offers one right from the factory?
    All in one small unit......
    Gives you all the wire to sub and speakers
    Brackets can be hung from ceiling wall.
    Make beautiful pole speaker stands
    Super easy to use.
    Has a automatic calibration system.
    Gives you a instruction DVD...and some sample music.
    Id at least 2 zone
    They give you alot for what it costs.I think they are very good and worth the money.Nice sound,nice features.Want good products you gotta pay.
    Thye have NO heat problems as the amps are in the subwoofer.Seperates allday.
    I install Bose systems alot and I'll go this far....they are the most reliable product on the market bar none.They work ALL THE TIME.Other products on the market can't claim that.I know I install alot of them.
    Like I said Bose isn't for everyone.Name one product that is.
    Grow up people.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yeah, but what about B&K, there is no substitute, except Bose?

Give me a break, I didn't see you mention how they SOUND in that rant. Seperates? Thats funny, allday/allabout. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Mantis, watch the fireworks now!!! People get so worked up on this subject.... I used to own Bose products, I think others are better for my needs, but I'm not everyone.

Do you have some suggestions on outdoor speakers? I'm putting in a pool and adding another set.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    did'nt this thread get started with someone asking witch was better the bose or the polk? preaty sinple question, and look at it now,its a starting to turn into a pissing match again. the more things change the more they stay the same.:confused:

scott:cool:
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sound Quality????
    It's really nice when in a mid size to small room.Sound qualitry is really Impressive when you consider what the driver layout is.I like them,I find nothing wrong with there sound quality.Go listen to any mini system with speakers of small size,they all sound...not as good as full range speaker but you can get a quality sound out of them thats most pleasing to most people.ALL of my cdustomers love there Bose systems.Not 1 dislikes it,not 1..

Like I said Bose isn't for everyone.I would put one in my familyroom,one in my masterbedroom and one in my kids playroom allday.Built quality is very good.

Your right B&K RULES MAN..THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE FOR ME....NONE.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No Dan, I respectfully disagree. The bose systems that I've seen/heard (and there are plenty of people with them) don't sound as good as the Polk RM6000 system that has a powered sub rather than the POS 'Bass Module' that is nothing more than a passive sub with dual 5.25" woofers.

I've heard the 301's, they sound OK but again, I think you can find better, cheaper.

I've heard the 601's, and the RT600i's put them to shame.

The 901's, grant you, they don't sound 'bad' just not accurate. If you like them fine but I wouldn't buy them.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Driver layout? Full range 2" drivers in a cheap plastic enclosure?

Geeze Dan, I know you are a company man and all but c'mon now....

It's like anything else....if you don't mind dropping a wad of cash for a easy to use, unobtrusive system for ambient noise, sure, bose cubes MIGHT be for you (as long as you don't mind getting bent over at the register) and probably don't sound that bad. Again, for less money, you can have better.

BDT :D
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    dbournival,
    sure you wouldn't rather have Russ's advice on what outdoor speakers to use???He might say you should use WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.I think he feels they are the speaker of choice for outdoor use.

My advice I like Niles outdoor speakers.They Rock and sound really good.
    Polk has outdoor speakers but I haven't given them extensive listening.Boston Acoustics also makes nice outdoors.The Grand Voyagers are awesome.

Check this out.........Bose has nice sounding outdoor speakers.They fill deck area well and sound pretty good(yes Russ they Do....)

Like any other speaker made,it's personal which pair is for you.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Driver layout? Full range 2" drivers in a cheap plastic enclosure?

Geeze Dan, I know you are a company man and all but c'mon now....

It's like anything else....if you don't mind dropping a wad of cash for a easy to use, unobtrusive system for ambient noise, sure, bose cubes MIGHT be for you (as long as you don't mind getting bent over at the register) and probably don't sound that bad. Again, for less money, you can have better.

BDT :D
    Ok Troy I'll call you on this.Build me a system for less money that can do all of that which the Bose can do.I'll give you a number so you can get your read on.Bose Lifestyle Ls35.Best that.
    Remeber RF remote and multiroom.And make sure you check how many zones the Bose can support.Bose also can support RF remotes for the multiroom systems.Factor in control to your system.
    I'll be waiting to review your better system..so Cross your T's and Dot your I's,if you don't I'm forwarning you I will beat your system.
    Bring it..........:D
    Gotta be a new system,used don't count.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Point.............................................................................Dan

Dan, all the bells and whistles in the world doesn't change the fact that it sounds like crap. Period. My opinion of all the bose cube systems that I've heard is that they sound like crap. 2" paper drivers (not that you can't make good drivers out of paper) in cheap plastic enclosures suck, IMO.

I've not seen one with a powered sub. All the bass module based systems I've seen were passive not powered.

Again, if you are looking for a lot of cool, gee-whiz features, go with bose. If you want good sound, look elsewhere. IMO

BDT
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Point.............................................................................Dan

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread.........but this.......THIS is funny........:lol::lol:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm only commenting on the sound of the Bose. I could give a rat's **** about the rest of it. As far as all the cool buttons and knobs, Dan is probably right. I don't know.

No offense but Dan's endorsement of Bose sounds like a guy trying to get a buddy to occupy the unattractive friend of the hottie he is trying to score with.....'dude, she's got a GREAT personality'.....'ok, what does she look like'.....'man, she's got the GREATEST sense of humor'......'ok, what does she look like'.......'bro, you two have LOTS in common'.....'ok, she's fat isn't she?'.........'well...................'

BDT
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Please God make it stop!
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • FireWire
    FireWire Posts: 11
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Friends,

I have a newb question since someone asked for outdoor speakers . What's the difference between outdoor and indoor speakers? Is it the physical build, the sound, or what else? Can't we just extend an indoor speaker's cable and make it as an indoor/outdoor one?

Thanks in advance
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Firewire, the outdoor speaker is made of material that can withstand the weather, rain humidity heat cold, sure you can take your "indoor" speakers outside, but let them get rained on and see what happens.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    FireWire,

Typically an outdoor speaker is a speaker that has been designed to be water proof/resistant, resistant to UV rays, and in general just a bit tougher physically. A pair of nice high-fi's left outside for a few weeks would be practically destroyed. An outdoor speaker is more resistant to the elements.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    They usually are built with a bit of weather-resistance, or weather-proofing. The cabs are usually made from a high-impact abs (or other) plastic to stand up to outdoor conditions. The drivers will most often consist of a poly/plastic with rubber surrounds, once again for durability in extreme conditions. Most, if not all also offer built in mounting brackets, which make install a snap.

Check out the Polk Atriums on the website, they offer great outdoor 'specs', as far as temperature, humidity, and water tolerance.

Cheers,
    Russ