SDA's for DTS sound

bikezappa
bikezappa Posts: 2,463
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have two sets of Polk SDAs. The big daddy SRS 1.2 and a 2.3 and would like to use them in a 5.1 or DTS system. I would need to get an third set od SDA's for the center. Has anyone done this and are there any problems doing this. Would you use the inter connect cable in the front or just use them as separate speakers. I have found that using the polks SDA's as front spreakers only in the 5.1 system doesn't work, they over power everything else. Is this a crazy idea?
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited March 2003
    I'm quessing your going to use the 2.3TL's as rears and the 1.2's as fronts, right? You've got a timbre match problem here as the TL's use a different tweeter. Maybe you will not notice it, but I just wanted you to be aware of that. For the center some folks use the SDA CRS+ which is a timbre match to your 1.2's. Some use the LSi/C and report good results and one guy is planning on using a single modified RTA 15TL as a center to timbre match both his front 1.2TL's, 2.3TL's and his rear RTA 11TL's. Looking at your set up, I think you may want to go with the SDA CRS+ as a center, at least it would match your fronts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2003
    F1 nut

Thanks for the advice about the tweeters. I have not listened to both sets of SDA's in the same room. This may be a problem, but I think I can live with it and love all the advantages of such a set up. My reason for thinking of going with 2 or 3 sets of SDA's in a home theater room is the wide sound stage they present. Do I really need a center with the polks? I wonder what would be the effect and if anyone else has done it. Some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Why not try the 2 pair together first and see what you think. With the phantom center you might decide that's all you need. I tried to tell you about the timbre situation in the Flea Market, but I quess you didn't see it. Post back here what you discover.

F1

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited March 2003
    bikezappa,

I used a pair of CRS+'s for a while as my center channels to go with a pair of SDA SRS (original) front speakers. As you would expect, the timbre match was seamless. However, I did not like the bulky look of the CRS+'s above my RPTV. I replaced the CRS+'s with two LSiC's and have been happy sonically and aesthetically ever since. In my system, the LSiC and LSi15 are excellent timbre matches for the SDA SRS.

I tried running a phantom center with just the SRS's. It worked, but I missed the sonic impact that a dedicated center speaker provides.

I was also using a pair of SDA 1B's as surround speakers. I replaced the 1B's with a pair of LSi15's. Putting the 1B's in the rear as surround speakers was a waste of their sonic attributes.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    raife,

How do you think his 1.2 and 2.3TL will match up?

F1

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited March 2003
    I have never heard the 2.3TL's. I do have the 1.2TL's and they were not a good timbre match for the CRS+'s. Since bikezappa would be using the 2.3TL's for surrounds, timbre matching might not be that big of a deal.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited March 2003
    Originally Posted by raife1:
    I have never heard the 2.3TL's. I do have the 1.2TL's

The 2.3TL's and 1.2TL's almost the same, a little bit sweeter that produces the 1.2TL's.

If your planning for timbre matching, make sure you are
    using the same tweeter.

Har
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Har,
    Good argument for me to leave those Austin 1.2TL's be. I've nailed f/x1000's, a CS400 and a CS350 for surrounds, center and rear center respectively to go with my SRS's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD