Definitive Technology

Options
MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I just got back from a friend's house that had some Def-Tech speakers, and man...I swear to god they ROCK the house man. The sound was so clear...no hiss! IT WAS AWESOME! The soundstage was AMAZING! It only needed two speakers for surround sound. The driver that fire from the side made the soundstage go botta bing botta bang! it was awesome! simply put! I never heard nething like it. I think I may of found my second pair of speakers to buy for my 2 channel rig to build off of. It was simply amazing.
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Def Tech Speakers are very nice.Liv4fam uses them and I think they sound really good running off his B&K avr307.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Id like to hear them against polk, the def-tech tweeters are alot better
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think The rt line would get beat up by the Def Techs.But the Lsi line could hold it's own and surpass in alot of ways.The Lsi line is much more musical.I perfer the Lsi over Def Techs.

The rti150's vs the BPS2004's??? The Def Techs would kill em dead.
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I think The rt line would get beat up by the Def Techs.But the Lsi line could hold it's own and surpass in alot of ways.The Lsi line is much more musical.I perfer the Lsi over Def Techs.

The rti150's vs the BPS2004's??? The Def Techs would kill em dead.

The def tech's i heard were 10+ years old, and they had the original drivers. I swear they made my speakers look stupid...haha! Awesome stuff, Im going to invest in them or paridgm in the near future, polk is leaving my brain - altho i wont leave the forum, no matter how unhappy yall will be to see me stay.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    polk is leaving your brain????
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    yeah, im tired of hearing their sound...I will check out the LSI line before I dump them to the side...But some days I love the sound, and others it just sucks. But the def tech's made my speakers sound so effin bad its not even funny. haha

It also makes me wanna say....Polk who?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You love em then hate them....sounds like someone I know.
    Lsi makes all that go away
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You love em then hate them....sounds like someone I know.
    Lsi makes all that go away

lol! dont get me wrong, for HT polk rocks da house man. But music just isnt delivered. Its like their REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY trying to do their job in that area and they draw so much effin attention.

Thos def tech's werent breaking a sweat and producing music without harshness or pain
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    what was the entire system my man?
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    what was the entire system my man?

It was a mismatch but we had only the mains on

The mains were the middle line of Def Tech 10 years or so ago, not sure of model number
    Some huge arse klipsch center
    and some cheap surrounds
    M&K MX-90 subwoofer...(everyone around here must have one...lol)
    A pioneer Elite receiver from 10 yrs ago
    and we used the radio since his cd player was broke, I didnt turn his system up too loud considering this guy is in his mid 60's (hes a dude I work with when I work for my dad)

But between thos two speakers, I swear to god - junk was behind me, beside me, infront of me, across the room...it was everywhere. The sound was so clear, so well done - and for the radio, it was awesome. Everything was just where it was supposed to be. It put my polk's to shame, clearly put

I thought id add more...Polk - its like the sound isnt outside the box, its just where u play it...but the def tech's they had this live feel to it...it was just the sound I had been looking for..something I could enjoy and not think twice about it
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    cool deal man
    Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited February 2003
    Options
    MX,

I highly recommend a pair of big SDA's, you'll soon be wearing one of these :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I looked at your pics of your system and it really doesn't look like the ideal setup. I've had more than a small battle with speaker placement in a tiny room, and I would know that simply jamming a speaker in the corner will not make it sound the best. Try different placements (or best of all, a different room (basement?)), then if you still aren't happy try LSi.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I looked at your pics of your system and it really doesn't look like the ideal setup.
    Exactly!!!!!
    Mx - you simply heard a "well" setup pair of speakers that were very broken in. Comparing "your" setup is the problem. Really!
    But ya - Def Techs have been around along time and they hold there own.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have heard the Def Techs at a local HT shop and really was not impressed. Not to say they are junk but they seemed very bright to me and I was actually fatigued when I left the room.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mx,
    You may know this already, but if you do a little research on Definitive's Web site, you'll figure out the company's former relationship with Mr. Polk. Sandy Gross? Johns Hopkins University? 1972? A Baltimore area company?

Definitive makes a wide range of speakers, concentrating more on the higher end, especially with small but powerful subwoofers and bipolar towers. I don't like the wrap around fabric grills on their towers myself, but otherwise they'd be a good, but more expensive, option to compare with Polk for home theater. I think the soundstage impression you were hearing may have been related to the bipolar design. Some don't like it. Some do.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

Exactly!!!!!
    Mx - you simply heard a "well" setup pair of speakers that were very broken in. Comparing "your" setup is the problem. Really!

Well setups...alright - left main, behind the subwoofer, the subwoofer covering well over half the speaker
    Right main, firing into the couch..WOW!

To note well setup, me and my dad were setting his system up as we were there, since the man hasnt used it over a year probally, it has been through power outages and had lost all its settings.

My dad's system could blow away probally neone's in this room, probally wouldnt blow away a LSI setup, but considering the fact his surrounds are placed in top of the wall corners, and his mains fire into the sub and couch...it probally means to yall that his system sounds bad. Even though their all klipsch, ill tell ya - it rocks the effin house. even though it is pourly setup in placement. Think what ya think, Placement may be high upon most speakers, but If you got junk calibrated the junk sounds fine.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rs159
    I looked at your pics of your system and it really doesn't look like the ideal setup. I've had more than a small battle with speaker placement in a tiny room, and I would know that simply jamming a speaker in the corner will not make it sound the best. Try different placements (or best of all, a different room (basement?)), then if you still aren't happy try LSi.

My system sounds awesome, but rt35i in 2 channel sucks eggs. You put 5.1 with it and man they jam to the master plan. I love the junk, but sometimes the mains just arnt mains their just there and they suck eggs. Then other times they rock da house with a thump thump thump and bump d bump its all good.

If i wanted, I'd move my system in the den. If you didnt no my system is in a bedroom, I paid for it - in sweat and blood, working my butt off. In other words, its locked up from others so only I can use it. I do not want my sister or mom using my system, i told them myself if they pay for it ill move it in the den. thats the bottum line. Nice to know you did research on my system, placement and all....I am limited on placement and cant venture into the subject...newayz

adding on to the post, I know for a fact the only reason u people are jumping all over me and what i posted about, was the simple fact I cut down polk. Its clearly my opinion, so why are u bothered?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    MX,

I highly recommend a pair of big SDA's, you'll soon be wearing one of these :D

man if i had the room, and the $$$ i'd have one...no doubt...

Man ill tell ya, thos klipsch on my dad's got some 15 inch drivers, and You just dont get that sound from a 6.5 inch driver...when u hear a thump from thos 15 inch drivers, it makes a 6.5 inch woofer run and hide for its momma.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

Exactly!!!!!

god i cant believe this, even mantis said Def Tech's would murder the RT line...and all i get is all yalls trash! lol! god, u havnt heard my system, you don't know what it sounds like, my system sounds GREAT! but put 2 rt35i's in 2 channel, that isnt most of a system. my system to the two def tech speakers, the def tech's were pretty even...but 5 speakers against 2...cmon
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    adding on to the post, I know for a fact the only reason u people are jumping all over me and what i posted about, was the simple fact I cut down polk. Its clearly my opinion, so why are u bothered?

MX, are you suffering from the same victimization that Jstas apparently suffers from? No one jumped all over you. They made an observation and offered their opinion. How does their opinion constitute jumping all over you when your opinion wasn't taken the way you dreamed up? If you don't want others input, as it's appearnt at you don't, then don't start a thread. Plain and simple.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I dont want to give you any detailed speaker placement advice b/c there are so many theories and methods and no one is correct or incorrect. The only thing I can say is if you aren't happy with the imaging and clarity of the RT35is is that the absolute worst place they could be is in the corner. I'm sure you get mad bass, but I have to say, i applaud you for having more sense than the typical teen who only wants "da big thumpin' super duper ultra mega hyper extra mad bass"
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    MX, are you suffering from the same victimization that Jstas apparently suffers from? No one jumped all over you. They made an observation and offered their opinion. How does their opinion constitute jumping all over you when your opinion wasn't taken the way you dreamed up? If you don't want others input, as it's appearnt at you don't, then don't start a thread. Plain and simple.

I dont care if they give me their opinion, when they clearly state my stereo isnt a rig, and my system isnt comparable to others because its placement isnt right, then i have a problem. If you havnt heard my setup, then u obviously dont no how it sounds - therefore u cant judge it. This is the only opinion i dont care for, and im tired of reading it. Everytime i say something people gotta tell something about me on how i cant do this and this and why im probally wrong. Well if im wrong - then my judgement is clearly wrong, if they have a problem with what I think then they obviously dont need to post it.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I dont want to give you any detailed speaker placement advice b/c there are so many theories and methods and no one is correct or incorrect. The only thing I can say is if you aren't happy with the imaging and clarity of the RT35is is that the absolute worst place they could be is in the corner. I'm sure you get mad bass, but I have to say, i applaud you for having more sense than the typical teen who only wants "da big thumpin' super duper ultra mega hyper extra mad bass"

LOL! actually i dont have alot of bass, i keep it pretty low, sub is on half way, and the lfe level is at 3+

Man i've had my 35's everywhere...beside the tv, in the middle of the shelf..lol! i just found they sounded best in the corner...firing to the 'sweet spot'. Maybe its just my ears...but thats what I thought sounded best on how I ran my system (in 5 channel stereo, all the time.)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Think what ya think, Placement may be high upon most speakers, but If you got junk calibrated the junk sounds fine.
    Huh?:confused::confused::confused: How can calibrated junk not sound like junk?
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Options
    LOL! actually i dont have alot of bass, i keep it pretty low, sub is on half way, and the lfe level is at 3+

those pesky family members i presume?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options

Huh? How can calibrated junk not sound like junk?

junk is the equivelant of speakers....stuff.....w/e the eff u choose to make of it
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options

those pesky family members i presume?

Turn it down being yelled, gives me nightmares.....not to mention im shooting for a second sub (SVS) later on this year, along with a new receiver, and two adcom amps...I want louder sound!!! LOL!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Options
    "Da ultra mega hyper super bitchin', thumpin', rumblin', shakin', extra kickin', big speaker, earthquakin', vibratin', extreme, intense, ultimate max' deadly subsonic bass boost" - Now my thirst for frivilous adjective usage is quenched.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Options
    LOL! may i suggest.... I love big speakers (the song.)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC