Supporting this hobby..:-)

Gary Robertson
Gary Robertson Posts: 201
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Ya know?
I literally work my **** off to support this hobby, as this is my only addiction or vice or kinda like my alcohol..
i work 40 th 60 hours a week and sometimes with more overtime than that.
i pay my bills and necessities and then the savings and retirement comes out of the check before i see it.. When the weekend comes it's off to the high end stores and to best buy..Best buy is for buying cd's only their cd's are five dollars cheaper than the others.. average cd is 12.99 and i see the very same cd' at the wherehouse for 18.99. Anyway i just wondered if i am the only psycho that will take a paycheck into an audio store and get back maybe 35 cents in change.. i have done this at least 3 times in my life i mean i gotta be nuts spending a whole damn paycheck on audio equipment.one time was when i bought my brand new RT-7's and speaker wire..ha,ha. i just gave them my whole paycheck and got back coins for change..
That was back in late 96................
GOD I LOVE THIS HOBBY--am i alone here??
System #2
Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
System #1:
Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
Post edited by Gary Robertson on

Comments

• nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    You are not alone, I enjoy the hell out of it. There is one exception though. Just last night my wife was complaining that my audio equipment has taken over HER living room and that I spend to much time here at this website....sound familiar anyone???
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Oh heck yeah,
    I constantly hear"GET OFF THAT INTERNET WE GOT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO AROUND HERE" but to say somethng funny . Have you ever tried to pull a wife from the middle of her favorite soap opra???Ha,ha,ha,ha.. How dare you !!
    Depending on how we look at, i guess it's all part of the fun..
    System #2
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited February 2003
    That's when you know it's time to get a job selling high end equipment to make your living. This way you can get it out of your system before you come home. Plus you can then buy it all at cost. Don't fight it, you know you want to. 40-60 hours a week listening to music, Hmmmmmm?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited February 2003
    Hi Gary,
    I look at it this way. This forum provides cheaper therapy for your addiction than going to see a shrink. People here won't steer you into making a financial decision on a piece of equipment you'll regret later. As long as you only spend money you have, you'll be fine. However, over time some of us are faced with the dilemma of having to buy a bigger house to accommodate a system and an acceptable-to-the-wife living room on the same property.
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited February 2003
    Hey Emlyn, I have the same toshiba dvd player as you. How do you like it? Also, how do you like your 150s so far? I take it you are using the rotel to drive them.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Gary Robertson
    Oh heck yeah,
    I constantly hear"GET OFF THAT INTERNET WE GOT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO AROUND HERE"

Oh Yeah!

:lol::lol::lol:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    Men=Audio systems with Polk speakers
    Women=Soap operas

By God Gary, I think you have got it. My wife tapes her soap operas so she doesn't miss a thing...drives me nuts.

If I could find a job selling high end audio equipment and make the money I am making now I would do it in a heartbeat!!!

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    If I could find a job selling high end audio equipment and make the money I am making now I would do it in a heartbeat!!!
    Same here!!!!:)
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Reember the 70's..
    Good stereo's ,good music and girls...
    Aint it funny how now it is quite the same,yet somehow different??
    I remember when i was a newlywed in 1976--Her---(Turn it down !!!)---me (what?) and in 2003--Her---(turn it down)--Me--(what?) The main difference is, then, it was The mighty Zeppelin,Deep Purple and Black Sabbath etc.---Today it's more on the Smooth Jass type stuff like Larry Carlton,Fourplay,Norman Brown,Peter White,etc... This is the longest addiction i ever had...:-) Bt when i do take a blast of the past and put in the old Zeppelin--After all these years its the same songs with the same girl...
    "NOW THAT IS WORTH SOMETHING TO BE COMMENDED')
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Funny you should post this...Just last night all the family was gone so I put "Led Zeppelin II", and "III", AC/DC "Back in Black" and and Deep Purple "Made In Japan" in the CD changer and cranked the volume up for a couple of hours. Didn't have to turn it down once!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by stevew14
    Hey Emlyn, I have the same toshiba dvd player as you. How do you like it? Also, how do you like your 150s so far? I take it you are using the rotel to drive them.

Hi Steve,
    The Toshiba SD-9200 still pleases me after a couple of years of use. I've read of people having a rumble in the transport, but that never happened with mine consistently. When it happened, I just opened the drawer, made sure the disc was centered and closed the door. The sound is still phenomenal. I mostly use it for DVD-A and HDCD now because the Panasonic CP-72 has better picture quality. I love the RTi150s too. I traded in a pair of RT1000is at Circuit City a couple of months ago to get the 150s. To me, they are a significant step up for two channel music, and about the same for home theater sound. I'm using the Rotel amp for everything except the back center channel.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, I think it's time for me to get out the vinyl copies and crank it up for old time's sake. Now that's therapeutic!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    I'm so addicted that I Made a career out of it.I play 50 to 60 hours a week with other peoples gear,find time to stop in BB for some new software,go to other audio and video shops,read every mag made for audio and video,Go to the shows when they come around here,etc.
    Hell the buying factor of my new house was the ability to have 9 foot basement.The basement is perfect for construction.
    I spend time in this and other forums.Buy new gear all the time.
    I got a problem.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by nellis8166
    You are not alone, I enjoy the hell out of it. There is one exception though. Just last night my wife was complaining that my audio equipment has taken over HER living room and that I spend to much time here at this website....sound familiar anyone???

Yep. So i bought a house with a media room. :lol:
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited February 2003
    Hmmmm? I thought this forum was a soap opera!

joe
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    i'm Thinking of doing a speaker upgrade
    i want the LSI25's but then something very bad happened--i auditioned a (well broken in) pair of NHT-3.3's being driven by the same ADCOM as i Own
    Now the dillema-i want to remain loyal to polk but the nht's just did everything right--oh so right !! Kinda like having Heather Locklear (polks) going out with you for the weekend and then running into Pam Anderson (nht's) and having her ask you out on the same weekend..Now you wouldn't wanna be unloyal with Heather (polks) but--DAMN THAT PAM (nht's)--i guuss this problen is the epitome of the word IRONIC. ;-)
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Heather Locklear will still look good 10 years from now.

Pam Anderson will look as good as her plastic surgeon can make her.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited February 2003
    Gary,

Just brought home my 2002 bonus check today. Went something like this:

Paul: How would you like to have another pair of SDA's for the bedroom honey?

Wife: Just where are you going buy a new house?

Paul: Hadn't planned on a new house, dear.

Wife: Well, you will need one if you bring another pair of those home.

I may have to go with bookshelfs for my next rig. (sneak them in, you know)

And in answering your original question. No, you are far from being alone.

Paul
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Paul Connor

A speak for me, a bracelet for you.

I'm sure that'll work. Try it! :)
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Ever wonder what the look and sound of our systems would be if our wives/significant others were as geeked about HT as we are? :rolleyes:

I can only dream...
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited February 2003
    kberg, I think if our wives were into this as much as us we would all be bankrupt. I have to give my wife her props because we recently bought a HDTV Mitsubishi 48" 16:9. We were looking at a 42" and she suggested the 48". Sometimes you just have to let them be the boss.
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    i had to sneak stuff in before.Hilarious story.. :-)When I bought my ADCOM GFA545II and the ADCOM GFP-450 to go with it back in 96--i had to play it real cool,so i went into the music room and commensed to (supposedly)
    take apart ,clean and repair my technics receiver and stuff.Then i had the ADCOMS out in the garage already waiting so when i took the receiver out to the garage to work on it,i brought the ADCOMS in and set them up and them put the technics stuff in the trunk of the car and later gave them to my daugher (she's married and living in
    another home)....I kept that to myself for 2 years and she never noticed because she doesn't give a hoot about high end audio--funny thing is:::when i told her 2 years later about it,she did not believe me--she said-- QUOTE::"I'm not that stupid and you could never put something like that over on me" UNQUOTE...then i said,oh honey you're so RIGHT.......and my daughter never asked where her used technics came from
    and i never told anyone for 2 years .Funny i put the reciepts right in the file cabinet but no one noticed..Ha,ha..."TRUE STORY" They all know now and all's forgiven and the funny thng is that she really didn't care in the first place..(i think there's a lesson there someplace,eh??)
    Later dudes,,it's off to the work week..
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Paul Connor
    edited February 2003
    I wondered if I was the only one who did **** like that on the sneaks....he! he!
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited February 2003
    Hey Gary.

Were those nht 3.3s bi-amped? Those are a very nice speaker either way, but bi-amped will make each one into a monster sub. Since you are looking at the Lsi25s I assume you don't have anything against powered subs in your mains, so if you are wanting the 3.3s try to hear them bi-amped. I had a set of nhts smallest video towers. They were very nice on their own but when I bi-amped them, it was a huge difference. Nht did make some good speakers. I also have four super zeros. If my bro-in-law doesn't hurry up and buy all these I am going to move them to my garage to upgrade that system. The 3.3s might present a placement problem, but those are very nice speakers.

Heather or Pam? What a choice!

joe
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Paul Connor
    Gary,

Just brought home my 2002 bonus check today. Went something like this:

Paul: How would you like to have another pair of SDA's for the bedroom honey?

Wife: Just where are you going buy a new house?

Paul: Hadn't planned on a new house, dear.

I may have to go with bookshelfs for my next rig. (sneak them in, you know)

And in answering your original question. No, you are far from being alone.

Paul

Heck, I didn't know it would be that easy to get rid of the wife!
  • Paul Connor
    edited February 2003
    That's funny Wallstreet!

Never really considered it though. Heather and Pam are dogs compared to Mrs. C.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    I love this hobby as well, have since it was just a vcr and a 2-channel receiver hooked up to the TV. It's always been about the movies.

But, along with this hobby there is my other, Disneyland. Heck, I just spent $275 on a Disney bomber jacket on Saturday.

Never had to sneak anything though. Wife doesn't really care, she has her hobby, I have mine and as long as the priorities are there, the rest is for fun.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2003
    Could be more than one of this story floating about over the years, but I know at least ONE of them is true...

Company couldn't figure out why there was an hour-long, long distance phone call made from a company phone, every day. It was tracked down.... A secretary.. a FEMALE secretary, was calling her mother every day so her mom could relay what was happening on 'their' 'story' (i.e. soap) in real-time.

I am thankful that my wife, even though she is home with our kids, does NOT watch soaps or daytime talk.. or (god forbid because I'd have to divorce the woman).. Oprah.
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Yeah i hear ya about those soaps..BUT
    If you manipulate it right soaps can work wonders - I once used the soaps to justify a beautiful pair of"SENNHEISER HD 600'S--one of the bitchenist headphones i ever heard and the best i've ever owned--by the way Audio Advisor sell these headphones for just 349 plus shipping -i think they are normally around 460 elsewhere...but kinda on the contrary- There's nothing like feeling the bottom end from speakers pounding away on the listening chair or the walls--that is audio nervana...i have a velodyne 12/15 and i can literally hear things rattle in the kitchen 4 rooms away when the volume is only on 3.I do love my music a bit on the VISCERAL side...I consider my self one of the luckiest people on the planet because i can enjoy these things
    .Can you imagine all the people who have never even heard something like what we all own...
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Hey Mr. CONNER.
    If Mrs C. looks much better than Heather or Pam ..I don't blame you because "I" too would shoot my self if i acted stuipd..ha,ha,ha,ha...;-)..
    it's s hard in this world to have a girl to look like that and have morals and common sense too, sounds like you got a real winner...
    Kudos to you..
    i have never even benn close to having a girl like that. Wouln't know how to act,,ha,ha...
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Paul Connor
    edited February 2003
    Gary,

I wasn't always this lucky with women. First time around was a disaster, complete with nasty divorce-loss of all assets etc.etc.etc. I happened to be at the right place at the right time and met the goddess and future Mrs. C. She indulges my weirdness and hobbies. (shaking her head in disbelief)

My father didn't think so much of my music. Nearly every morning when I was in high school I would wake up and immediately put on Sticky Fingers by the Stones or Master of Reality by Sabbath, or some such album and turn it up. Nearly got my teen rig destroyed a couple of times. Haven't changed much in the last thirty years.

Agree with ATC---Got to love it.

Paul