Options
2»

Comments

• Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Joe6 pack,
    No, i did not hear them bi amped but that is a damn good idea..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Paul,
    Yes i am fimiliar with the loss of all assets through divorce as it got me back in 1980. i also lost everything i owned.i am still paying child support today 23 years later.i didnt work back in 82 and 83 so i couldn't pay..I have been current from 1983 until now ..crazy thing is , is that when i
    thought it was about over in 2002-the
    California- D A's office sends me a letter wanting the money from 1982 and to make matters worse,they tacked on 20 years worth of interest..They say it is to re-pay the welfare department because the ex was on welfare at the time..Good grief.
    But i still managed to get my audio equipment.Divorce in california is very hazardous to the male gender...**** man --There went my Pass labs amplifier dream for another year or so..I later hooked up with a high school sweetheart, Hence the same girl i listened to the mighty ZEP.with back in the 70's.we are 20 years strong...
    System #2
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Has anyone ever have a damn kid take his finger and poke in a tweeter ??
    I have, what a disaster..It seems that if you have kids you can't have anything nice.. I remember back in 92,
    I came home from work and went to play the audio system and the speakers (tweets and mids)were fried..I asked the son what happened to the speakers because they worked before we all went to bed last night.. and of course i get the big "I DON'T KNOW"..About that time the neighbors came knocking at the door."You better do something with that damn kid ,he's driving us crazy with that extremely loud mass of distortion
    Blha,Blha,Yada,Yada. Then, i knew what exactly happened..That was an old Kenwood receiver wieh Altec Lansing speakers and the receiver was a major clipper.so i figured out that the kid had that thing clipping till it fried.
    Doggone teen agers !! Also one time my nephew was here (he was about 6 at the time) little **** jammed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the VCR.
    I wated to kill, boy i was pissed..
    But how kids minds work,he said --"I THOUGHT IT WAS HUNGRY SO I PUT FOOD IN IT'S MOUTH".. Too bad that there isn't any laws for equipment abose. Is there anyone else out there who has had any similar tragedies!!!!
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Gary Robertson
    Is there anyone else out there who has had any similar tragedies!!!!

Well, not as bad as your tragedy, but about 10 years back a buddy of mine (with wife and his [damn] kids) came over and one of his three kids chewed off a corner of one of my speaker grills. Even that just ticked me off royally, so I can imagine how you felt.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My 7 yr old knows better, but when I was about that age my father had 4 Sansui speakers that he took the grills off. I thought the midranges looked cool, so I touched it. The little dome center popped in! To fix the situation before getting my but kicked, I tried to pop it back out. Ended up mutilating the entire midrange! Could not sit down for three days!

When my son was about 2-3, I took the cover off one of my old Cerwin Vegas and told him if he ever touched this part of the speaker it will destroy it, then I would destroy him. I guess the punishments when I was younger helps the next generation keep out of trouble.
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I forgot to mention when I got my new polks the first words out of my son’s mouth was “I can’t touch these either, right daddy?” He remembered that story 4-5 years later!
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    That's fantastic,Very hard to accomplish--"well done"!!!...KBERG has reminded me about another time. IT was 1978-only had my new Kenwood KR4070 receiver and 2 BIC VENTURI'S AND 2 PIONEER-HPM 100'S--(good old layfyatte),I only had those about 3 weeks and "I'll never forget" I was jammin with Elton John's -GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD-(still a phenominal album) Funeral for a Friend was playing loud too ... i was groovin' too. (ha,ha..) well my first wife was walking through the living room-I just happened to be watching her walk.(sweet ****--she was a Butterface---everything looked but her face) ha,ha..:-( Anyway she was walking by and stuck an "EFFIN" cigarette to the Pioneer cover grill--boy i ran over there to wipe it off and the cherry was still red stuck to the speaker grill just burning a bigger hole in it..Needless to say "I
    was heart broken.. and the reply?? "WELL I DIDN'T MEAN TOO" !!! GHEESH! I was heart sick over that for quite a long time..Now She's history and "NO SMOKING IN MY HOUSE"..-BUT NOW I HAVE POLK R7-7'S AND A VELODYNE-12/15 BOTTOM
    AND THEY HAVE STAYED PRETTY SINCE DECEMBER 1996 --But i can still feel that burn in the grill too-- DAMN ,3 WEEKS OLD...But i guess it wasnt as bad as trying to clean peanut butter out of a VCR..ha,ha..
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • kberg
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Gary Robertson
    Needless to say "I
    was heart broken.. and the reply?? "WELL I DIDN'T MEAN TOO" !!!

When she asked you about your reason for ending the relationship, you should have said:

"WELL I DIDN'T MEAN TO" !!!
    ;)
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    KBRG,You're right,
    I definately should have told her that.
    That is hilarious.. :-)
    and on the previous post i meant to say RT-7 not R7-7-i just don't type to great and i unententionally miss a lot of letters..
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited February 2003
    Options
    To quote Gary:

"It seems that if you have kids you can't have anything nice"

Not necessarily true. We've managed, so far, to keep the little ones away from anything they might destroy, including themselves. The worst problem in our house is "those other people's kids" that haven't been taught to stay away from things that they have no business messing with. Gotta say that my wife and I are very fortunate.

Wally
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey Kberg, how do you like your setup? I was thinking about getting something very similar to what you have. Well, so long as I can unload these R40's. I may get different surround speakers, but I was thiking about the same mains and center. Let me know what you think.
  • kberg
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Hey Kberg, how do you like your setup? I was thinking about getting something very similar to what you have. Well, so long as I can unload these R40's. I may get different surround speakers, but I was thiking about the same mains and center. Let me know what you think.

The entire setup is awesome. The RTi70's/CSi40 present a perfect front soundstage. The rear soundstage is also matched perfectly and sounds incredible. I almost went with R50's and a different center for the front, but after more research decided to take the plunge and plunk more bucks down for what I believe was well worth it. Let me know if/when you get your system put together. You will be VERY impressed. And whatever you do, don't forget to properly position the speakers/sub and calibrate them with a Rat Shack SPL meter and the disc from Avia or Sound & Vision - it will make a WORLD of difference.
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes ,
    Those rat shack spl meters are one of the nicest things to have.. i totally agree----
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Gary Robertson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was just thinking about never having any power spiking trouble out here in the Mojave desert but never the less ,i still purchased a 120 jowell protector for the wall plug in..Does anyone know more about these things???-we don't get rain maybe 3 days per year so when it does rain we have a whole lot of lightning and heat lightening--Would 120 jowells be enough to save me?? Hell, i peobably aint even spellin' it right..ha,ha...
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,