DIY Super Center Channel

Options
12346»

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2008
    Options
    OK, I made contact with the designer and pulled the trigger on the Dynamic 4CC kit! He said he'll build the crossover this weekend and ship everything out on Monday:D:D
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    OK, I made contact with the designer and pulled the trigger on the Dynamic 4CC kit! He said he'll build the crossover this weekend and ship everything out on Monday:D:D

That thing is the monster you've been looking for! Good luck with putting it together and I'm sure it will sound as awesome as it looks!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Sweet:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Excellent,can't wait to see the build thread for that little beauty.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Awesome! Did you get the Full Kit? What's the difference between the two offering?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Awesome! Did you get the Full Kit? What's the difference between the two offering?

Nope. Just ordered the drivers and assembled crossover. I purchased everything else myself from Parts Express. The difference in cost was about the same, but by doing it myself, I chose a couple of different items and I already had some other items. For instance, instead of using the el cheapo PE hook-up wire, I ordered a few feet of bulk AudioQuest cable.

Once I eyeball the crossover, I may decide to upgrade the Dayton/Solen caps on the midrange and highs. We'll see...
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    The kit arrives on Monday...

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    The kit arrives on Monday...

Que evil laugh...
  • Early B.
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The kit arrived yesterday. The fun begins this weekend. I'll start another thread to showcase the build. Ben is gonna help me assemble it.

But just to whet your appetite, the crossover weighs 4.2 pounds!!!:cool:

I'll snap some pics of it this week.

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Early said I can't post in his thread till he spends some time with...
    HaHa Early I posted in your thread:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Doug_D
    Doug_D Posts: 15
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm not sure if you guys figured it out but the reason that Jed's FR dips so much at 50hz and gets a little weird below 50hz is because of room interference. It happens quite a bit down that low so generally you can't pay attention to that area :) They play down flat well below 50hz I can assure you that and I'm sure you've experienced.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I am going to try and build one much smaller.
    I searched "DIY Polk Center Channel" on Google and.............Early B yours was the 1st in line. You are now officially famous.

Nice speaker by the way...
  • Doug_D
    Doug_D Posts: 15
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Well Jed sells a kit for a smaller version as well that just uses 2 woofers instead of 4.

http://clearwaveloudspeaker.googlepages.com/home