Speaker cable makes no difference...

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2008
    Lamp cord works too hahahahaha....

If the Home Depot stuff is too much $ by the foot, you can always go to Dollar General to buy a 25' extension cord and cut the ends off. You then got the best speaker cable pair for less then a buck. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• be83663
    be83663 Posts: 192
    edited September 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Thank You :)

And Monster cable it's trash IMHO, well it's what I did with mine anyway all of it. I just won't state how much :eek:

You are also aware that not every Monster speaker cables are created equal. I don't know which cables you had before, but you have got to try their Reference series! They are awesome!!! ;)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    be83663 wrote: »
    You are also aware that not every Monster speaker cables are created equal. I don't know which cables you had before, but you have got to try their Reference series! They are awesome!!! ;)

And this is compared to what cables? With what equipment?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2008
    Here we go again :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,118
    edited September 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Here we go again :eek:
    LOL! Yup. be83663 paid $600 for his cables and is delighted with his purchase. In his opinion that was a bargain. Others will say he just made a generous donation to Monster Cable charity. Why not let him stay happy and just enjoy his gear?! If it works for him, he made the right choice. (Am I feeding the dragon? Hope not.)
    Alea jacta est!
  • BigMac
    BigMac Posts: 849
    edited September 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just a friendly suggestion.....instead of reading, start trying cables for yourself as it's the only way that YOU will know for sure.

As for the RR article......throw it out with the trash.

I have been switching out cables for the last few days on my cheap setup....gave me something to do. I used some M speaker wire first that I had from awhile ago, then I went to some older Luminous Audio cables that I got for free basically when I bought a 5.1 Onkyo receiver not to long ago. Then I pulled out a big fat extension cord I had in the attic and cut er' up. Here is what I found sounded best on my system (which is a HUGE POS,lol).

My conclusion was:

1.Luminous Audio
    2.Extension cord (seriously)
    3.M.....I am actually going to never use them again. Now that these are gone I have my mids back.

I will keep switching out cables BUT imo it wont matter that much right now cause when I do finally upgrade everything I think the cable will sound different on that system. From what I have concluded so far with alot more reading is this:

-Size matters alot (that's what she said,lol)
    -Length of cable adds alot of variables (again, that's what she said)
    -most cables/speaker wire add their own "sound" or "coloration"to your system
    -you can go broke and insane trying to find one that sounds better than another on "your" system

I am almost to the point of brain overload with all this audio stuff I have been reading. Like I read through Ben's mammoth speaker thread and I was speechless. Holy #^$&!! Now that is impressive to say the least. One thing for sure, can anyone say, "Block Party"!!:)
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2008

Honestly I feel now after being educated with my own hears, Monster cables are at best over priced for what you get. And I feel sorry for you if you indeed spent $600 on cables which in IMHO are worth at best $150. Now lets say if someones $200 sounds better then those $600 Monster wonders I know for sure you too would trash them or sell them on Ebay. As I know you couldn't sell them here, well not what you wanted for them. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• be83663
    edited September 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    LOL! Yup. be83663 paid $600 for his cables and is delighted with his purchase. In his opinion that was a bargain. Others will say he just made a generous donation to Monster Cable charity. Why not let him stay happy and just enjoy his gear?! If it works for him, he made the right choice. (Am I feeding the dragon? Hope not.)

If you want me to do some calculation on your behalf, I did spent $600 for a total of 180 ft. of speaker wires for my 7.1 system in my huge 20 by 20 by 8 ft. room. That roughly translates into $2.50 per foot of speaker wire, which I think is expensive for a speaker wire, but is good for its qualities; because they are excellent!

Here are the links so that you can have some ideas how these MONSTER Reference speaker wires look differently from what you knew about Monster speaker wires:
    http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=35
    http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=37

You can't compare an apple to an orange. :D
  • dc55110
    dc55110 Posts: 128
    edited September 2008
    PolkClyde wrote: »
    How much did you pay for that cable?............ come on now.

That's the point. The cost of that cable was less than the Monster. I got it for free. I build the displays for a company that does custom installation and that is what they use. Seems comparable to Blue Jeans 12awg or Belden in quality and cost ($1.10/ft).
    (((STEREO)))
    Sony DVP-N9000es
    Squeezebox Duet
    Theta ProBasic IIIA
    Audio Research SP14
    White Audio Labs B1
    Transparent SoundWave Super
    Paradigm Studio Monitor
    B&W 802 s3

HT
    Sony Bravia KDL-40Z4100
    Sony BDP-S350
    Yamaha HTR-5790
    NHT SB3 (Fronts)
    NHT SC2 (center)
    NHT SB2 (surround)
    Velodyne FSR12
  • be83663
    edited September 2008
    dc55110 wrote: »
    That's the point. The cost of that cable was less than the Monster. I got it for free. I build the displays for a company that does custom installation and that is what they use. Seems comparable to Blue Jeans 12awg or Belden in quality and cost ($1.10/ft).

What do you mean by "less than the Monster"? Let's be clear on which Monster cable you are referring to in comparison to your cable? I want to know. :confused:
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited September 2008
    Monster's marketing is amazing!! So is Bose!! That's all I'm going to say about that :D
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    :Yawn:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2008
    curved wrote: »
    Monster's marketing is amazing!!

Their legal department is equally unbelievable.

I'm sure no one would argue that Monster Cable costs more than your run of the mill cable, and arguments could be made on either side of the sound quality issue. But I refuse to use their products, new or used, because of their poor ethics.
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    zingo wrote: »
    Their legal department is equally unbelievable.

I'm sure no one would argue that Monster Cable costs more than your run of the mill cable, and arguments could be made on either side of the sound quality issue. But I refuse to use their products, new or used, because of their poor ethics.

Its a toss between what you said, and lack of bang for the buck.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • be83663
    edited September 2008
    Face wrote: »
    :Yawn:

You don't have to be in here if you are bored.

Monster company does have an amazing marketing.

I don't know how other cheaper speaker cables do sound like, but as someone using their Reference series speaker cables, I can tell you this: Use Monster Reference series speaker cables, and hear sweet high notes, crisp middle, strong bass, in a word, transparent, coming out of your LSi series speakers; then you won't regret! :)
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008

I don't know how other cheaper speaker cables do sound like, but as someone using their Reference series speaker cables, I can tell you this: Use Monster Reference series speaker cables, and hear sweet high notes, crisp middle, strong bass, in a word, transparent, coming out of your LSi series speakers; then you won't regret! :)

A lot of us have;) Pretty packages, and fat jackets don't make for good sound. You act like we are new at this:confused: Try some AudioQuest type4's then report back to us;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2008

So you think that's it.... Enjoy.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited September 2008
    What would happen if i wire my bose speakers with monster cable?

EARGASM :eek:
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,118
    edited September 2008
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    What would happen if i wire my bose speakers with monster cable? ...
    The speakers will explode into a million pieces and the cables will melt, putting your house on fire ...
    Alea jacta est!
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    You are a sick, and twisted individual:eek: Like 90% of the population that believes M, and Bose are the shiznit:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • be83663
    edited September 2008
    EARGASM :eek:

Just stop being schizophrenic, and try using Monster products for yourself before judging from what other people who also heard from other people are saying. It's o.k. to use Monster products; Monster products won't eat you alive! Just use Monster products also! ;)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Just stop being schizophrenic, and try using Monster products for yourself before judging from what other people who also heard from other people are saying. It's o.k. to use Monster products; Monster products won't eat you alive! Just use Monster products also! ;)
    I haven't tried their reference lines, but a few of their others. I'd say their quality equals Monoprice.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008

Why not open your mind:confused: Do a little research. Again what other wires have you compared them to? What equipment have you tried them with? Use the search function, and get your learn on. There is no reason to use M. What do you have for an argument for them? Not trying to insult you. I thought M was the bomb at one time too:o You live you learn, or not:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited September 2008
    What they said.....I had monster speaker cable hooked up to my 2bs for a few days waiting for my heartland cables to arrive (canare4S11) and I remember it cost almost twice as much as the heartland.Well the heartland cables had better clarity,resolution,tighter bass,and much more bass SLAM.Etc....I think you should invest in audioquest like ben said and HEAR the truth.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2008
    I have some optical Monster cable which are headed to the trash honest. There really in a box in a closet but give it a year or so and cleaning day there are gone.

There maybe a good Monster lover home somewhere.

Anyone interested?

I had some XM cables once but there are long gone. I trashed like 200' of 14/2 Monster in-wall cable a while ago that's what I think of Monster just a bad buying decision.... Trashed and moved on.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dc55110
    edited September 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    The speakers will explode into a million pieces and the cables will melt, putting your house on fire ...

Interesting you should say this... Another company I do work for (a large big box chain that sounds like "dust cry") had a Bose display catch on fire one night. Sprinklers ran for an hour, trashed the whole store. I had to gut it and have it back open two weeks later.
    (((STEREO)))
    Sony DVP-N9000es
    Squeezebox Duet
    Theta ProBasic IIIA
    Audio Research SP14
    White Audio Labs B1
    Paradigm Studio Monitor
    B&W 802 s3

HT
    Sony Bravia KDL-40Z4100
    Sony BDP-S350
    Yamaha HTR-5790
    NHT SB3 (Fronts)
    NHT SC2 (center)
    NHT SB2 (surround)
    Velodyne FSR12
  • dc55110
    edited September 2008
    What do you mean by "less than the Monster"? Let's be clear on which Monster cable you are referring to in comparison to your cable? I want to know. :confused:

The $1.10/ft price is the installed price, I have no idea what the retail price or their cost/price is.
    (((STEREO)))
    Sony DVP-N9000es
    Squeezebox Duet
    Theta ProBasic IIIA
    Audio Research SP14
    White Audio Labs B1
    Paradigm Studio Monitor
    B&W 802 s3

HT
    Sony Bravia KDL-40Z4100
    Sony BDP-S350
    Yamaha HTR-5790
    NHT SB3 (Fronts)
    NHT SC2 (center)
    NHT SB2 (surround)
    Velodyne FSR12
  • be83663
    edited September 2008
    fbm211 wrote: »
    What they said.....I had monster speaker cable hooked up to my 2bs for a few days waiting for my heartland cables to arrive (canare4S11) and I remember it cost almost twice as much as the heartland.Well the heartland cables had better clarity,resolution,tighter bass,and much more bass SLAM.Etc....I think you should invest in audioquest like ben said and HEAR the truth.

I did check audioquest speaker cable prices, including their Type 4 which is 15 gauge and listed for $240 for a pair of 15 ft. cables, which is 2.5 times as expensive as 12 gauge Monster Z2 Reference series speaker cables that I currently have and love. In comparison, Audioquest's 12 gauge Type 8 cables are $475 for a pair of 15 ft. cables. Am I reading the price right on their brochure? Surely, not every 15 ft. cables are created equal. Even considering this, and even though Audioquest products look nice, they are too expensive for me. Lastly, check their 9 gauge "Volcano" cables; you can literally get a used car instead for a price of a pair 15 ft. of it, $5,750.00, which some speaker cables do cost at. :eek:

For those of you who have tried Monster products, and are disappointed by them, I want to say that you can't just pick any Monster products and expect to be satisfied with them for a sake of buying Monster products, because not all of their products are nice; in this case, you are becoming just a victim of their marketing tactic, and are discouraged to try their better products. Choose only high-quality ones wisely, if you are expecting more out of them! :)
  • ben62670
    edited September 2008
    Well this took all of two seconds.
    http://www.listenup.com/AUDIOQUEST+Type+4+(1+Foot)-p-Type41Foot-p-468430.html
    Add terminals, and you just kicked M's A$$.
    Again what other wires have you compared them to? What equipment have you tried them with?
    Rock on:rolleyes:

Edit: Do you work for M, or one of there retailers?
    If you are anywhere near by you are welcome to bring M with you, and do a comparo.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • be83663
    edited September 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Well this took all of two seconds.
    http://www.listenup.com/AUDIOQUEST+Type+4+(1+Foot)-p-Type41Foot-p-468430.html
    Add terminals, and you just kicked M's A$$.

Rock on:rolleyes:

Edit: Do you work for M, or one of there retailers?
    If you are anywhere near by you are welcome to bring M with you, and do a comparo.

I have not used any other cables of Monster Z2 Reference cable price range.

I checked again audioquest cables for the length I need, 15 ft, and is about $200 per pair of 15 ft. compared to $100 that I got for a pair of Monster Z2 cables. http://www.abt.com/product/17331.html?source=froogle

And I am not associated with Monster company. Thanks for your information about Audioquest though; I must admit that they look like good speaker cables.